Ability: Intimidate > Mold Breaker
EVs: 32 HP / 148 ATK / 240 SpDef / 88Spe
Nature: Careful
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch/Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Gyarados, the God <3 Gyaragod, namirite? :]
So yeah, I ran Dragon Dance Rest Talk. I love this set, oml. Dragon Dance helps it sweep easier, obviously. For the Crunch/Waterfall bit, I usually choose the move depending on how weak my team is to something. I tend to use Crunch because of defense drop hacks, although Waterfall's great for flinching. I ran Rest & Sleep Talk so that this monster could have a decent method of recovery, and Rest Talk's a great recovery method n_n I ran 32 HP & 240 SpDef so that Rotom-W can't 3HKO me w/ Volt Switch, n_n

0 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 32 HP / 240+ SpD Mega Gyarados: 96-114 (28.3 - 33.6%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

I ran 88Speed so that after one dance, I can outspeed Max Speed unboosted base 100s. Then, I just dumped the rest of the EVs into ATK, helping it do more damage as well. :]
So that's my set for Mega Gyarados, sorry for not being innovative, but w/e. gg. n_n
Intimidate, obviously for reducing the opposing Pokemon's attack stat.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gyarados@Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe

Cycle breaker. You switch in Gyarados in on a favorable matchup (which Intimidate helps a lot with), then you strike your opponents' Gyarados switch-ins with a Choice Band boosted heavy attack. Ice Fang OHKOes any x4 weaknesses (Garchomp, Salamence, Landorus, etc), Earthquake is a reliable non-contact move that hits many things hard as well as hits non-flying electric types (Aegislash, Azumarill, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Manectric etc), Stone Edge is great coverage against things that avoid Earthquake (Zapdos, Thundurus, Rotoms, etc), and Waterfall is reliable STAB and Gyarados' most powerful attack. It can be replaced with Aqua Tail if you want to sacrifice some accuracy for power. Since its main goal is to hit switch-ins, bulk investment is preferred over speed. Choice Band increases damage output considerably, allowing you to not be as selective when choosing a move to hit your opponent's entire team (for example, you don't have to lock yourself into Waterfall in order to 2HKO Mega Kangaskhan when Earthquake can do so thanks to Choice Band).

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Alright, here's a more gimmicky set for you all~

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Level: 50
EVs: 172 Atk / 116 SpA / 220 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Lure Gyarados. Mega Gyarados has very few checks once it gets going, especially with Crunch's stellar neutral coverage. However, it has some issues with getting past Steel-types that are immune to Ground - Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Scizor are the three big ones that are most relevant to the Battle Spot metagame. Enter Fire Blast. This move doesn't cover much besides these three but they're the only things it really needs to hit - +1 Crunch and Earthquake do a number on pretty much everything else.

116 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 148-176 (102 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
116 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 132-156 (72.9 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
116 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 98-116 (56.9 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

ahaha, the only Gyarados set I've ever used in Battle Spot is the Substitute + DD one, which is fantastic but also standard as hell... ;_;

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, here's a more gimmicky set for you all~

EVs: 172 Atk / 116 SpA / 220 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Lure Gyarados. Mega Gyarados has very few checks once it gets going, especially with Crunch's stellar neutral coverage. However, it has some issues with getting past Steel-types that are immune to Ground - Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Scizor are the three big ones that are most relevant to the Battle Spot metagame. Enter Fire Blast. This move doesn't cover much besides these three but they're the only things it really needs to hit - +1 Crunch and Earthquake do a number on pretty much everything else.

116 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 148-176 (102 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
116 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 132-156 (72.9 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
116 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 98-116 (56.9 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

ahaha, the only Gyarados set I've ever used in Battle Spot is the Substitute + DD one, which is fantastic but also standard as hell... ;_;
Guess you really hate Aegislash, huh?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Aegislash is the best thing about this format <3 Mega Gyarados beats Aegislash either way unless you're running mono Waterfall and it has Sacred Sword, Crunch/Earthquake is just really great for neutral coverage.

EDIT: Re-doing my entire entry cause the previous one was too similar to the norm. (Thanks hula for pointing it out)

EVs: 180 HP / 116 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Waterfall/Crunch

So the main thing about this set is DD & taunt. Taunt improves gyara's matchup against bulky stall mons. Some of the most common ways to stop set up sweepers are with thunderwave, phazing with roar/whirlwind, or even toxic. With taunt you can avoid all that and even DD again on certain mons like Chansey for example. You can taunt aegis too so it can't king's shield and you won't have to worry about those mind games. I'm always unsure of what to EV gyarados but this spread lives two EQs from garchomp and outspeeds Greninja at +1.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OK voting time.

As for my nomination, I want to post a set but I have no bloody idea what to do since physical with special coverage has been covered well already, so here's some terrible gimmick:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Bounce
- Waterfall / Earthquake

So come in on a physical attacker, Toxic, then stall with Protect and Bounce. Waterfall is secondary STAB but we all know how good Flying + Ground coverage is so Earthquake is thrown in there for that option.

So with that out of the way you can now vote for what you like... A new thing we're doing is that you now have to explain what you like about the set you're voting for. Nothing too elaborate, it's just cool to hear your thoughts!

Namdachu - RestTalk
DragonWhale - bulky Choice Band
ethan06 - mixed attacker
NOVED - Taunt + Dragon Dance
cant say - whatever this is meant to be

I'm voting for ethan06 for his very hot Aegislash slayer. Fire Blast is a really cool way to get past some of MegaDos' checks (particularly Scizor!)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
NOVED

This is a badass stallbreaker and looks like a really good way of breaking Chansey/Mega Slowbro cores. Also no-one seems to expect Taunt so this is pretty great. If only it could use Substitute as well...

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah when people send Gyara out vs a defensive Pokemon Taunt is pretty obvious.

Voting cant say because it's actually not a bad idea. Bounce and Protect not only racks up Toxic damage but also helps with leftovers recovery, and pokemon immune to poison gets hit by EQ (steels and mega gengar) and Bounce (mega venusaur). No, Weezing and Skarm don't exist go away.

Last edited:
Im also going for NOVED altough i also liked Namdachus idea with resttalk, but since mega gyarados is in my opinion a better offensive threat taunt suits it more especially combined with the speed boosts of dragon dance taunt more often goes first.

Actually, sorry ethan :[
Voting for cant say for Wall Gyarados, and for being the only one not using Megados :]

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
This thread is in the same situation as Victim of the Week, in that we also have a three-way tie here! I've been hoping that it would be broken sometime so I've left the votes open far too long. Right now we have my Toxic stalling 'Dos, ethan06's check-beating FIre Blast variant, and NOVED's Taunt + Dragon Dance sweeper. I was happy to call a tie over in VotW since there were heaps of entries, but I can't have 3 of the 5 entries winning here. I'm willing to drop mine from consideration since Bounce can be quite easy to play around, allowing the opponent to switch in something that can handle it, this leaves us with Mixed attacker vs Taunt + DD. With all due respect to NOVED for posting a great set, Taunt (with or without Dragon Dance) is already a thing with over 40% of Gyarados running the move, which is why I think ethan06's mixed attacker is more worthy of being called the next best thing. Gyarados has a crazy special movepool which sadly gets wasted due to his special attack stat being quite low, but utilizing a high base power move against common checks who are weak to it offsets its seeming lack of power. Congratulations ethan06! (please don't hate me NOVED!!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

OK, onto the next Pokemon!

We're gonna stick with gen 1 mons with big movepools and discuss an old favourite of mine; Dragonite! Being a Dragon type with well rounded stats, wonderful ability, massive movepool and a niche as the only Dragon with a priority move makes Dragonite a force to be reckoned with. His Dragon Dance and Choice Band sets may be popular but they can be quite predictable and easily exploited. What can Dragonite run instead to get around its common checks, or form some other niche in the metagame?

btw, could we not use CTC's Dragonite Set, ty. :>

Dragonite, cutest fully evo'd Dragon imo (apart from Haxorus)

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 188 Atk / 116 Def / 204 SpDef
Nature: Careful
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast

Aah. Everyone's obsessed with Dragonite's offensive capabilities but no one's focusing on it's defensive capabilities: 91 HP / 95 Def / 100SpDef is pretty fantastic imo. Not as good as other defensive mons but this monster is still amazing. Thunder Wave to cripple faster mons, e.g: Mega Lopunny. Dragonite can live Ice Punch from Mega Lop and be able to cripple Mega Lopunny w/ T-Wave then roost up until Parahax. Then you just need to hit Lopunny twice to kill it n_n With the given SpDef EVs, it can live Specs Latios' Draco Meteor and then OHKO w/ Dragon Claw.. Fire Blast w/ a negative nature still 2HKO's Ferrothorn and if I had given Dragonite something like Gentle, D-Nite's "walliness" against Mega Lopunny or other physical attackers would be gone. :P 188Atk OHKO's 72HP Latias (standard EVs?,) after Dragonite lives it's Draco. That's all I got, (sorry about the past two previous fails n_n )

(8/1024) innovation :[

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Namdachu please revise your set. You say it's the Rain Dance one but doesn't have the move, and has an Adamant nature with all Atk EVs. I'd also advise against using Heat Wave (or any fire move) in Rain...

Also you didn't put Focus Blast in the set and you mentioned it in the description :o

You also signed your name twice, this is just full of errors, oh my(you dont need to sign your name btw we know who you are)

I'll give this one a try.

Dragonite @ Choice Specs
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse / Thunderbolt

Well, we all know what Choice Band Dragonite, Bulky Dragonite, and offensive Dragonite is like. How about we look more towards its Special Attack shall we? Often times we see Dragonite's base 100 Special Attack to be kind of overlooked compared to its Attack stat. But this set can be very surprising towards your opponents, as it can really fool Taunt and Will-O-Wisp users, so you can go for an attack. There's also many Rocky Helmet Pokemon along with Intimidators as well. Choice Specs Dragonite will help take advantage of its base 100 Special Attack.

About the moves and EVs, Dragonite should be holding Choice Specs, allowing it to hit harder at a +1.5 boost with all of its attacks. But remember, Choice Specs locks Dragonite to its move until you switch it out. This is more focused towards Dragonite being a bulky special attacker. The 204 EVs in HP allow for Dragonite to take more hits while there is no recovery. Maximum 252 EVs with a Modest nature, maximizes Dragonite's special attacking capabilities. The remaining 52 Speed EVs allow Dragonite to outspeed Suicune and Rotom uninvested. Now lets move onto the moveset. Hurricane is Dragonites STAB attack, hitting Fighting-, Grass-, and Bug-types such as Mega Gallade, Breloom, and Mega Pinsir. It also gives a chance to confuse the foe as well. Ice Beam hits Dragon-, Flying-, and Ground-types such as Garchomp, Mega Salamence, Thundurus, and Landorus-T. Fire Blast hits Steel- and Ice-types such as Ferrothorn and Mamoswine. Draco Meteor can be used as another STAB move that'll cause massive damage. Dragon Pulse is an alternative to Dragon Pulse if you don't want the drop in Special Attack. Thunderbolt can be used to hit Water-types such as Suicune and Azumarill.

After running some calcs, this thing with Choice Specs can honestly do a lot of damage.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)