ORAS OU GrossRus Peaked #5, 1800 (Ft. Max Primus)

Do you like the team?

• Yes

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • No (If you choose this it means Yes anyway)

Votes: 29 52.7%

• Total voters

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...

Its been along time since I made an RMT so I thought it was time to make one. This RMT is for my friend Max Primus as he created the team and all the credit goes to him. Max Primus is a much better player than me and has gotten to top 10 of OU with 4 accounts! If you want to meet him, he talks in the OverUsed room on Showdown, but he changes his name often.​

Team Building
(Max Primus explained the Team Building process, but he asked me to explain it better)

So basically I wanted to build a solid support around Thundurus and Mega Metagross core.

I added Landorus to make the Dual Geni Core with Thundurus.

The main weakness to those two is Ferrothorn and that' is also how Heatran joined the team.

I noticed at that point i had no solid way to handle Rotom-W. I figured with Breloom, not only did that offer me priority, but it also gave me a solid way to handle Rotom-W.

I needed something to lure in Ferrothorn to get rid of it, so I chose Choice Banded Azumarill.

The Team

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunderpunch​

Overall Metagross is threat to any team once the opponents counter/check is gone. Lets begin this RMT with Mega Evolution powerhouse Mega Metagross. There isn't much to explain about this Pokemon besides being a destructive monster with increible attack with its ability Tough Claws, and good defensive bulk thanks to its typing. Meteor Mash is Steel type STAB with a nice 20% chance of gaining a +1 Attack making Metagross even more of a threat and is used to hit the new Fairy type, Rocks, and the not so common Ice types. Zen Headbutt being Psychic type STAB and has a helpful 20% chance to flinch and can hit Fighting, and Poison types. What is with 20%? Thunder Punch is a cool coverage move that is able to hit the wall of a threat Skamory, and bulky Water types; and if lucky can get a paralysis. (Also please stop telling us to go with Grass Knot over T-Punch) EQ is over Hammer Arm as it can cleanly OHKO Heatran with its x4 weakness to Ground.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Next up is god of Thunder, Thundurus. Being a threat to any fast mon without prioity can be paralyzed thanks to its ability Prankster and the move Thunder Wave. Thunderbolt is Electric type STAB with an awesome 90 power and 10% chance of paralyzing foes. I think it should be called Lightingbolt, but I guess Thunderbolt works. HP Ice is a cool move (No pun intended) as it is a great coverage move to hit ground types such as Garchomp, Gliscor, and etc. Volt Switch on Thundurus sounds like something a noob would do but it is very helpful as you can scout with it doing nice damage and switching safely into another mon. Thundurus would be better if it got Hurricane imo.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Earth Power/Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
Why does this pokemon have arm bracelets, and why does it head look like a spaceship? Heatran, being one of the most used mons, and is a good mon with great typing and stats that fit well with it making it have bulk, and an awesome movepool. Heatran on the team plays the role of being the bulky tank while being able to set up Stealth Rocks. Lava Plume is a good fire STAB move as it has a strong 30% of burning the opponent which can change the battle dramaticly. Earth Power is coverage in case the opponent sends Heatran taking a x4 weakness to ground, or Stone Edge for Talonflame and Charizard Y. Heatran likes its flying type partners Gliscor and Thundurus for ground immunity.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Swords Dance
Its not that Breloom used Spore, they fell asleep because their bored. Why do I have to explain this pokemon you already know what it does. This pokemon has access to one of the most broken sleeping moves, its not Dark Void, its Spore! Which has 100% accuarcy and not 80% like Dark Void. The bad part about spore and it makes sense in a way, is that it can't make grass types fall asleep. Now that your foe is asleep its time to set up a Swords Dance giving it a +2 in attack which is massive damage getting hit by its attacking moves Bullet Seed and Mach Punch which are both STAB and get boosted by its ability Technician. Also it can get up atleast a kill/spore thanks to its pesky Focus Sash.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Knock Off
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
Before the suspect test we had Landorus-I, being able to lure in Chansey, and the Lati Twins and hitting them with a Knock Off. And for other mons hitting them with Sheer Force Life Orb boosted Earth Power being STAB, Sludge Wave for Fairy types, and Focus Blast for coverage.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Waterfall
I personally called this Springtrap. If you read the Team Building Max Primus stated Choice Band Azumarill. Azumarill overall is a powerful mon thank to its awesome ability Huge Power and with Choice Band it hits like a truck getting OHKO on prediction. Aqua Jet is +1 Priority and is STAB and hits hard. Play Rough is great with its new Fairy typing making it a cute Dragon type slayer. As we also said Azumarill lures in Ferrothorn so Superpower is to OHKO its Steel typing. Waterfall is STAB and is Azumarills stronger Water type move.

Previous Members

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost​

Bring a replacement for Lando-I during the suspect test it is one of the most hated pokemon in the tier as it is known for its Toxic Stalling, but Max Primus chose a different set. Knock Off is used to...well, knock off items (No Pun Intended) mostly to get rid of Chansey's eviolite. Another Swords Dance getting a +2 attack boost, to Spam Earthquake STAB and Knock Off. Getting a little HP weak? Roost will save the day by ruining your opponents day gaining back 50% of health. Gliscor is Specially Defensive because most attack its special defense rather than its attack.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Starmie joins the team by being a Rapid Spinner and Ferrothorn killer as well, and make this team Bisharp weak. Scald is over Hydro Pump to burn opponents and better accuracy. Psyshock is to hit Fighting types such as Conkeldurr. Hidden Power Fire is for Ferrothorn as Starmie lure it in and then we attack it to get rid of it.

Threats
(Max Primus explained his threats of his team)

And while my team isn't necessarily weak to stealth rocks, it non the less doesn't appreciate the excess damage. (If you don't Field Hazards to be a pain replace Azumarill with Starmie)

The biggest threat to my team i'd have to say is Kelfki. It's ability to paralyze as well as set up spikes consistantly all over my team can be menacing.

And other big threat to my team is Mega Lopunny, the only way to counter it is T-Waving it with Thundy then attacking it.

Manectric and Raikou are also big threats but with their massive coverage, they are generally hard to counter anyways

Team Pokepals for being a friend on Smogon :]
FrozenCold for also liking Anime :p
bludz for being helpful when I ask him questions
BlackBloodz cool guy (sorry if I bug you sometimes)
BlazeLatias we can Team Build together if you want
boTTT because you don't get any credit on Showdown :] (IDK if you have a Smogon Account)
Reymedy for giving me advice on how to team rate better

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunderpunch

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Waterfall

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Swords Dance

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Knock Off
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Thank you for reading our RMT, giving a like or suggestion would help us alot. Also remember to give the credit to Max Primus for the team and me the credit for putting this RMT together. Have a nice day ^_^

Last edited:
Really like the team, AD! For teams that look as solid as this, I like to do my reviews in a Pre- and Post- Format.

Pretest thoughts:
-Weak to stealth rocks, no means of removal. Glisgor doesnt mind the rocks due to Toxic Heal, but Heatran can be quickly warn down, in case you need it for an opposing Talonflame or w/e.

-Breloom + Glisgor both have notable flaws as sweepers, both being walled by most flying types, and forces a guessing game as to whether or not their roosting.
-Both of them are Swords Dance Sweepers with lackluster speed.

-Perhaps swapping Thundy with NP Thundy- and Glisgor or Breloom with a more defensive variant to better deal with Lopunny.

I will test these changes, likely with a more defensive Glisgor (I like the idea of Spore + SD). I will respond later with the results.

You may want to look into Grass Knot > Thunderpunch on Metagross. The reason being is that Thunderpunch doesn't 2HKO any bulky Waters really. Slowbro, Suicune, PDef Skarm, Gastrodon, Quagsire, and Alomomola all avoid the 2HKO even without factoring in Leftovers. What are you exactly targeting with TPunch? Most offensive Water types (Keldeo and Rotom for example) are hit harder by other moves due to secondary typing. Also run a Naive nature with Grass Knot.

Only other change that sticks out it to run more speed on Azumarill. 92 speed EVs outpace Tyranitar and the base 60s that fall right below it, while at the same time not giving up too much bulk.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Waterfall

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Grass Knot

Since Breloom has a sash, yet you have no means of removing hazards, does that means you usually lead it?

Also, wouldnt it be better off with Life Orb/Miracle Seed or w/e

EDIT: Gliscor has proven to me that he deserves SD.
Thundurus has proven to me he enjots plotting in an evil manner.

Breloom has proven to me it has barely earned a spot on the team.

What it gives:
-Mach Punch (Somewhat weak, blocked by ghosts but its still priority.)
-Spore (100% Sleep)
-A Rotom-W counter, and somthing that can check Non-HP Flying Keldeo.
What it takes:
-A wasted item slot; almost no item really helps, with the lack of hazard removal.
-Another thing for Talonflame to set up on.
-The speed from this offensive team.

I would recommend one of the following...

-Replace Breloom with Serperior... (Fast, able to boost without boosting.)
-Replace Breloom with Chesnaught... (Gives you hazards + defensive mon)
-Replace Breloom with Lati@s... (Gives you DFS synergy + Defog)
-Replace Breloom with Amoongus... (Kinda slows the momentum, but you keep Spore and you have Regenerator + Bulk, allowing your team to possess some longevity.)

All three of these can counter Rotom-W, with Volt Switch and HPump being resisted. Latias checks the washing machine better, Latios has more firepower.

Last edited:

Mur

If you're not first you're last
Hey man cool team and grats on peak to your friend! I have a few suggestions which will probably help the team out a little. I agree with celticpride on both of his suggestions, specifically metagross whose set I feel needs some tweaking. Tpunch really doesn't break bulky waters or skarmory so putting grass knot>tpunch would be a better option to break up these targets. Also there is no reason to use earthquake on gross unless you are very weak to jirachi(you have heatran). Imo hammer arm is superior in every way since it has a chance to OHKO heatran after rocks or a tiny bit of prior damage. Hammer also allows you to break ferro which gives gross that immense wallbreaking presence against bulkier builds.

I also agree with Ryfi110's thoughts about either replacing or changing breloom's set. If you want to keep breloom I suggest Life orb>focus sash. Since you have no hazard removal the sash will most likely not come in handy too often so adding life orb will give loom some extra power to either wallbreak or sweep depending on the situation at hand. If you want to replace breloom I would replace breloom with latias. This team has two big expoits in that there is no hazard removal and that the only water resists gets crippled by a scald burn. Not to mention heatran as the rock setter just allows more switches for keldeo so it can brake apart your team. Adding latias gives a solution to both these problems and also adds a soft check to the aforementioned threats in manectric and raikou. Although healing wish can be useful for your team I think an alternate set with roost over healing wish can be incredibly useful for your team considering latias would be the only hard counter to keldeo on the team so recovery would be much appreciated. The choice is really up to you, if you feel that keldeo is not an issue than roost is not necessary.

Cool team hope I helped :] I'l leave my suggestions in the tab below.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Grass Knot

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish/Roost
- Defog

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Thank you for giving suggestions for our RMT ^_^ Since this is Max Primus's team I ask him the suggestions you say and I reply back what we discuss. (I hope this makes sense of what I said)

Since Breloom has a sash, yet you have no means of removing hazards, does that means you usually lead it?

Also, wouldnt it be better off with Life Orb/Miracle Seed or w/e

EDIT: Gliscor has proven to me that he deserves SD.
Thundurus has proven to me he enjots plotting in an evil manner.

Breloom has proven to me it has barely earned a spot on the team.

What it gives:
-Mach Punch (Somewhat weak, blocked by ghosts but its still priority.)
-Spore (100% Sleep)
-A Rotom-W counter, and somthing that can check Non-HP Flying Keldeo.
What it takes:
-A wasted item slot; almost no item really helps, with the lack of hazard removal.
-Another thing for Talonflame to set up on.
-The speed from this offensive team.

I would recommend one of the following...

-Replace Breloom with Serperior... (Fast, able to boost without boosting.)
-Replace Breloom with Chesnaught... (Gives you hazards + defensive mon)
-Replace Breloom with Lati@s... (Gives you DFS synergy + Defog)
-Replace Breloom with Amoongus... (Kinda slows the momentum, but you keep Spore and you have Regenerator + Bulk, allowing your team to possess some longevity.)

All three of these can counter Rotom-W, with Volt Switch and HPump being resisted. Latias checks the washing machine better, Latios has more firepower.
We need a counter for other Heatran and something to lure Ferrothorn as Serperior can only have HP Fire or Ground. And the other mons can't handle Heatran that well.

You may want to look into Grass Knot > Thunderpunch on Metagross. The reason being is that Thunderpunch doesn't 2HKO any bulky Waters really. Slowbro, Suicune, PDef Skarm, Gastrodon, Quagsire, and Alomomola all avoid the 2HKO even without factoring in Leftovers. What are you exactly targeting with TPunch? Most offensive Water types (Keldeo and Rotom for example) are hit harder by other moves due to secondary typing. Also run a Naive nature with Grass Knot.

Only other change that sticks out it to run more speed on Azumarill. 92 speed EVs outpace Tyranitar and the base 60s that fall right below it, while at the same time not giving up too much bulk.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Waterfall

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Grass Knot
Max Primus said he will try out Grass Knot on Metagross. And we might try out Grass Knot on Thundurus like we had before. Max did say since Azu is CB, its power makes it not need extra speed, he will try it but it might be irrelevant.

Thank you for giving suggestions for our RMT ^_^ Since this is Max Primus's team I ask him the suggestions you say and I reply back what we discuss. (I hope this makes sense of what I said)

We need a counter for other Heatran and something to lure Ferrothorn as Serperior can only have HP Fire or Ground. And the other mons can't handle Heatran that well.

Max Primus said he will try out Grass Knot on Metagross. And we might try out Grass Knot on Thundurus like we had before. Max did say since Azu is CB, its power makes it not need extra speed, he will try it but it might be irrelevant.
Wait what? The extra speed is the difference between taking an extra hit from TTar / Chansey / whatever. If you have enough HP left to switch in on one Stone Edge but you don't outspeed, you can't switch in on it. However if you have enough speed you can switch in, eat a Stone Edge, outspeed and OHKO it. Just an example but the extra speed does matter. The bulk is negligible.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Wait what? The extra speed is the difference between taking an extra hit from TTar / Chansey / whatever. If you have enough HP left to switch in on one Stone Edge but you don't outspeed, you can't switch in on it. However if you have enough speed you can switch in, eat a Stone Edge, outspeed and OHKO it. Just an example but the extra speed does matter. The bulk is negligible.
Sorry, I was gone for the weekend and I wanted to reply back that Grass Knot is not working as good as T-Punch as Skarmory is much more of a problem. (Don't complain with us as it will go nowhere :p) And yes the speed on Azu was fixed, I didn't mean it to be hostile when I said it might be irrelevant.

Threats
(Max Primus explained his threats of his team)

The biggest threat to my team i'd have to say is Kelfki. It's ability to paralyze as well as set up spikes consistantly all over my team can be menacing.

And while my team isn't necessarily weak to stealth rocks, it non the less doesn't appreciate the excess damage

And other big threat to my team is Mega Lopunny, the only way to counter it is T-Waving it with Thundy then attacking it.

Manectric and Raikou are also big threats but with their massive coverage, they are generally hard to counter anyways

We already know that but we don't know who to replace as the team works good together, and hazards aren't too much of a threat
Of the 4 threats you listed for this team, hazards are one of them.

Since you need hazard removal, I would suggest EQ Latios > Breloom.

This gives you another way to get lots of damage on Heatran, gets you a powerful Draco, and Defog.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Latios doesn't hold the team as well and having a user that can put opponents to sleep is nice to have. And the RMT is updated with Starmie.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man gratz for ur peak, i saw ur threat list and yeah lopunny is stupid but u can also scare out with priority mach punch and t-wave respectively, so at least u can check it, Electric types run throught ur team and u can do nothing about it although spedeg gliscor can take HP ice for those electric type in ur threatlist bar specs and ko'ed in return or put it in range of Mach punch, cuz heatran is easily wear down by volt switch. i have one suggestions based in the composition of ur team and ur coverage.
  • I think RP Mega Gross > All Out Attacker really works in ur team, cuz u have an answer for the common checks, or at least u can weaken them for RP late game sweep.
  • And other minor change is put Taunt > Roar on Heatran to beat fairies 1 v 1, also i'll put Stone Edge > Earth Power on it, opposing heatran isnt a big problem for ur team cuz u have a 100% switch in called Gliscor. Stone edge is for talon/ CharY that could get annoying for ur team.
Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Rock Polish

Really nice bulk to set up, and incredible power
Hope i help u man and gl

Might wanna add weavile to the threat list because it can sort of sweep that team after an sd or after the team gets crippled
Also 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 218-257 (72.9 - 85.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 307-361 (79.5 - 93.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Tho breloom lives ice shard with like 26% or less after rocks

Question: how do you get the tiny sprites (for something like a team building process)? Also you need hazard removal if you're using a sashed breloom. excadrill?

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Question: how do you get the tiny sprites (for something like a team building process)? Also you need hazard removal if you're using a sashed breloom. excadrill?
Read on the Threat list as I say Starmie over Azumarill if afraid of hazards. I also use this site to get the sprites http://pldh.net/dex/sprites

Also its mostly likely Lando-I will get banned so once it is, I will go back to how I had it before, but I just wanted to have the final moments with Lando-I. (I hope you understand)

Hey there, this is a pretty interesting team, i really like that offense and how you're covering metagame thanks to solid priority, however i noticed some weakness that can be covered i guess.
  • First i'm seconding Mur and Celticpride on the fact that Grass Knot + Hammer Arm would be better on Metagross as it allows you to hit Slowbro and Hippowdon with effiency while still being able to hit Skarmory, as with Hammer Arm you will be slower than Skarmory and be able to attack after Roost. Plus Hammer Arm allows you to hit Ferrothorn and Heatran as well so it's all good for you.
  • Then as you said you're pretty weak against threats such as Thundurus, Raikou, and Lopunny, it might be because your team lack of speed, indeed you're only reaching 111 bs speed which is poor for an offense these days as they are all running thing like Alakazam, Lopunny, Tornadus-T etc.. That's why i'd suggest to play Scarf Landorus-T instead of Landorus-I, Scarf Landorus-T is a solid member for your team as it can check Electric moves thanks to Ground-type and it can be a solid revenge killer to Thundurus, Raikou and Lopunny as well in addition to form a volturn core that can provide high momentum.
Hope i helped and good luck with your team.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Explosion / Superpower / Knock Off
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)