Quagsire [GP: 2/2]

[OVERVIEW]

Quagsire is an excellent defensive Pokemon in NU thanks to its ability Unaware, which gives it a niche in checking most of the setup sweepers in the NU metagame. Quagsire also has a fantastic Water / Ground typing which leaves it with only one weakness, Grass. Quagsire also has access to Recover, giving it a reliable source of recovery. However, Quagsire is not unbreakable due to its mediocre defensive stats and the fact that it is greatly threatened by all the common Grass-type Pokemon in NU, such as Lilligant and Vileplume.

[SET]
name: Defensive Wall
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Recover
move 3: Scald
move 4: Curse / Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Unaware
nature: Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake hits Fire-, Rock-, and Steel-types for super effective damage. Recover allows Quagsire to replenish 50% of its health. Scald is Quagsire's most spammable move, as it has a nice 30% chance to burn the opponent, and, even though it can't take advantage of the Attack boosts from Curse, it provides utility outside of setting up. Curse raises Quagsire's Attack and Defense at the cost of lowering its Speed, and it is used to beat passive, bulky boosters that would normally PP stall Quagsire such as Malamar and Mega Audino. Toxic cripples Grass-types, such as Lilligant, Exeggutor, and Torterra, while also wearing down special attackers such as Samurott and Musharna that don't mind being burned by Scald. Waterfall can be used over Scald because Curse boosts its power as well; however, Scald is generally preferred thanks to the 30% burn chance, offering greater defensive utility before setting up.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in both HP and Defense allow Quagsire to never be 2HKOed by Tauros's Life Orb-boosted Rock Climb after Stealth Rock damage and Leftovers recovery while also having a pretty good chance to not be 2HKOed after one layer of Spikes. A Relaxed nature lets Quagsire maintain a neutral nature in both attacking stats but lowers its Speed, which is largely irrelevant. Unaware lets Quagsire ignore the stat boosts of opposing Pokemon, so they can't set up on Quagsire. An alternate spread of 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD can offer Quagsire some more special bulk while still avoiding a 2HKO from Kangaskhan, Archeops, and Hariyama.

Usage Tips
========

Quagsire can come in on almost every non-item-boosted physical attacker as well as weak or resisted special attacks such as Magneton's Flash Cannon and Togetic's Dazzling Gleam. Scald and Toxic should be used early-game in order to wear down the opponent's Pokemon with status. Quagsire is best used by checking a lot of common setup sweepers that lack Grass-type coverage such as Fletchinder and Swords Dance Sneasel. Note that Quagsire can end up sweeping late-game with Curse if the opponent has no strong special attackers or Grass-type Pokemon left, although this situation is uncommon. Do your best to avoid status as it forces Quagsire to use Recover more. Toxic is the most detrimental status to Quagsire as it can't simply keep recovering off the residual damage. Use Recover when Quagsire is low on health in order to maintain its ability to check setup sweepers. Earthquake is Quagsire's most reliable STAB move and should be used when Quagsire has attained boosts, or if you want to get more damage off. Be wary of Grass-type coverage moves from the likes of Garbodor, Magmortar, and Magneton, as they can surprise Quagsire with and deal a ton of damage or simply knock it out.

Team Options
========

Quagsire appreciates teammates that can take Grass-type moves and handle Grass-type Pokemon; Fletchinder, Vileplume, and Bouffalant all work rather well. Passive, defensive Pokemon that often get set up on such as Ferroseed and Uxie are good partners because Quagsire can stop pretty much all setup sweepers that threaten them. Quagsire also appreciates teammates that can tank special hits such as Hariyama or Mantine because Quagsire can't stay in on a lot of strong neutral special attackers. Clerics such as Mega Audino or Musharna also work well with Quagsire because they can heal any stray status that can cripple Quagsire. Quagsire works really well on more balanced and defensive teams because it acts as a blanket check to most of the NU metagame as well as being a glue that can check setup sweepers efficiently.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An offensive set that has either a Choice Band or 3 Attacks + Recover allows Quagsire to maintain its offensive presence while checking weaker setup sweepers. Running Protect over Curse or Toxic allows Quagsire to scout for Grass-type coverage moves such as Energy Ball or Hidden Power Grass in order to avoid being OHKOed by them. Encore can allow Quagsire to check bulky boosters without setting up itself. Haze allows Quagsire to come in on bulky setup sweepers, eliminate their boosts, and pivot into a teammate that can handle it from there, as well as allowing Quagsire to act as an emergency check to Stored Power Musharna.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types come in for free on Quagsire and exploit its 4x weakness to Grass-type moves. Also, most Grass-types are specially based, which lets them hit Quagsire on its weaker Special Defense stat . However, almost all Grass-types outside of Roselia and Vileplume don't appreciate Toxic; both Roselia and Vileplume shrug off Earthquakes easily.

**Wallbreakers**: Strong wallbreakers break past Quagsire pretty easily because of the consistent offensive pressure that they apply, as well as taking advantage of Quagsire's middling defensive stats. Quagsire's typing also doesn't offer it a lot of resistances against premier wallbreakers such as Sawk, Zangoose, and Samurott. However, wallbreakers have a hard time switching into Quagsire, as they risk being crippled by a potential Scald burn or Toxic.

**Toxic**: Quagsire can shake off burn and normal poison damage pretty well thanks to Recover, but Toxic damage stacks every turn, which prevents Quagsire from simply continuing to recover off the damage.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers such as Pyroar and Mesprit can easily break through Quagsire's low Special Defense and hit it with powerful neutral attacks such as Hyper Voice or Psychic, respectively.

Last edited:
Wow you have time to change my dank title but not QC my analysis smh.

Anyways p sure this is ready

CroDino should be mentioned alongside Malamar as something that Curse can be used to beat.

Also a special mention in C&C of Ice-types that carry Freeze-Dry (Cryogonal & Aurorus) as Quagsire is x4 weak to the move

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
okidoke, got a lot to say here.

Overview
This is really lacking in description, and needs a bit of improvement.
+ unaware
Just saying unaware doesnt cut it, state why unaware is good. Unaware allows quagsire to be a catch all stop to a plethora of setup sweepers in the tier, which is very important. Might also be worth noting that it is a unique ability to quagsire in NU.
+ sik typing
Informal language like "sik" or "wtf" isnt used at all in analyses, we have to be formal about it and such. This point here should say that quagsire's unique typing gives it only one weakness, and a variety of useful resistances and immunity to electric type attacks.
So what? This doesnt tell me anything about quagsire, I honestly dont know what you mean here apart from the fact that it has curse, which I could find by looking at serebii. The overview needs to clearly state the positive and negative aspects of that pokemon in regards to the tier.
[SET]
SWAGSIRE
name: SWAGSIRE
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Fixed two formatting things, now comments:
Custom names arent really used often, and even if they are they're not in all caps. I dont mind keeping this one for quag, but we have to list the set name in parentheses behind the actual set. However, I feel that there should be two sets for Quagsire: Curse and Support separated. I'd like other QC thoughts on this, because support and curse sets definitely play differently imo. For now leave it as is because I can see some reasoning as to why you'd want to combine them, but lets see what others think.

Moves
- eq is ur main stab and boosted by curse, wtf do you even say about eq it hits stuff idk
Remove the bolded part, I shouldnt have to say anything about that. Earthquake hits the rock, steel, and fire types which quagsire checks - important to note. And if there isnt much to say about a move, then just say a little bit, no need for those kind of comments.
- recover replenishes 50% of your health when you click it
Set Details
Be sure to add a bullet point about unaware, that should be self explanatory.
I'm not too sure if curse quag needs full defense investment, iirc you recommended a spread with more mixed defenses in a rate for disjunctions team a while back, and I'd like some other qc thoughts on what the ev spread should be. It just seems counterproductive to invest in defense and then boost it.

Team Options
- something to take grass type moves and handle grass type pokemon
Such as? Examples.
- passive defensive mons that often get set up upon like ferroseed are good partners b/c quag can stop p much all set-up mons
Not sure if ferroseed is the best example here because gyro ball hurts fast boosters, iron barbs bother physical attackers in general, and it checks a bunch of setup sweepers with its unique typing.
something to chew special hits cause quag can't stay in on a lot of strong neutral special attackers
Like what? Examples.

OO
Just say an offensive set since iirc brawlfest had some decent success with both cb and recover three attacks, and mention the moves said set would use, being ice punch and or stone edge.
- protect > curse / toxic to scout for random hp grasses and shit
C&C

Dont have the titles in all caps.

I know its your first time, so some of these mistakes are understandable.
Let me know when you've implemented this and if you have thoughts on splitting the sets and changng the EV spread.

CroDino should be mentioned alongside Malamar as something that Curse can be used to beat.

Also a special mention in C&C of Ice-types that carry Freeze-Dry (Cryogonal & Aurorus) as Quagsire is x4 weak to the move
implemented
okidoke, got a lot to say here.

Overview
This is really lacking in description, and needs a bit of improvement.

Just saying unaware doesnt cut it, state why unaware is good. Unaware allows quagsire to be a catch all stop to a plethora of setup sweepers in the tier, which is very important. Might also be worth noting that it is a unique ability to quagsire in NU.

Informal language like "sik" or "wtf" isnt used at all in analyses, we have to be formal about it and such. This point here should say that quagsire's unique typing gives it only one weakness, and a variety of useful resistances and immunity to electric type attacks.

So what? This doesnt tell me anything about quagsire, I honestly dont know what you mean here apart from the fact that it has curse, which I could find by looking at serebii. The overview needs to clearly state the positive and negative aspects of that pokemon in regards to the tier.

Fixed two formatting things, now comments:
Custom names arent really used often, and even if they are they're not in all caps. I dont mind keeping this one for quag, but we have to list the set name in parentheses behind the actual set. However, I feel that there should be two sets for Quagsire: Curse and Support separated. I'd like other QC thoughts on this, because support and curse sets definitely play differently imo. For now leave it as is because I can see some reasoning as to why you'd want to combine them, but lets see what others think.

Moves

Remove the bolded part, I shouldnt have to say anything about that. Earthquake hits the rock, steel, and fire types which quagsire checks - important to note. And if there isnt much to say about a move, then just say a little bit, no need for those kind of comments.

Set Details
Be sure to add a bullet point about unaware, that should be self explanatory.
I'm not too sure if curse quag needs full defense investment, iirc you recommended a spread with more mixed defenses in a rate for disjunctions team a while back, and I'd like some other qc thoughts on what the ev spread should be. It just seems counterproductive to invest in defense and then boost it.

Team Options

Such as? Examples.

Not sure if ferroseed is the best example here because gyro ball hurts fast boosters, iron barbs bother physical attackers in general, and it checks a bunch of setup sweepers with its unique typing.

Like what? Examples.

OO
Just say an offensive set since iirc brawlfest had some decent success with both cb and recover three attacks, and mention the moves said set would use, being ice punch and or stone edge.

C&C

Dont have the titles in all caps.

I know its your first time, so some of these mistakes are understandable.
Let me know when you've implemented this and if you have thoughts on splitting the sets and changng the EV spread.
m bad on all the informalities i was under the impression that i could just be informal as long as the content was there until QC 2/3. implemented all the stuff about examples, removed the main informalities and made the overview better.

now onto actual qc stuff. i dont think curse and support should have different sets because early to mid game, quagsire is mainly just clicking scald/eq and recovering early game anyways. its not really till late game that you try cursing up anyways. Toxic gives you the option of crippling stuff early to mid game more effectively, but takes away the option of sweeping late game. The fact that the the set p much plays the same in the early to mid game means that it should only be 1 set.

also about the spread, i mentioned in the bullet point that quag needs max max in order to avoid the 2hko from tauros rock climb. the rate i made to disjunctions team had stuff like defensive mawile to help handle them, although looking back i prolly should have just done max max there too. even though it seems redundant w/ curse + def, in order to make the most of its utility early-mid game, quag needs all the defense it can get in order to take on the threats that it needs to.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

+ unaware lets it ignore opposing stat boosts which lets it wall a lot [you could really go as far to say the majority of setup mons in the tier, thats pretty reasonable imo] of set-up sweepers, even after they've set up
+ Water/Ground typing (mention that its typing is unique which is also nice ...rip toad) allows it to have a bunch of useful resistances, only 1 weakness, and an immunity to electric attacks
+ recover is reliable recovery
+ curse lets it set up on more passive teams, as well as win late-game if strong special attackers/grass types are removed
I think it would also be good to add here that quag can simultaneously play a defensive role and a "offensive" role (by that I mean as a late game win condition), basically just compressing two roles on a team. word that however you like.
- mediocre stats which can often hinder its defensive capabilities
- really weak w/o boosts this seems pretty unnecessary, you can keep it I guess if you can think of some good justification.

[SET]
name: Curse should it really be called curse? curse doesnt have its own slot on the set so not too sure about this
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

- eq is ur main stab and boosted by curse, hits rock, steel, and fire types
- recover replenishes 50% of your health
- scald is used to burn stuff and even tho it isnt boosted by curse it still provides utility outside of setting up
- curse is used to beat slower teams after mons that can beat quag are gone as well as beat stuff like malamar and cro-dino which can pp stall you otherwise
its important to be blunt sometimes like you did with recover, for curse state exactly what it does, it boosts quagsires attack and defense at the cost of lowering its speed (which is pretty bad in the first place)
- toxic is used to cripple offensive mons that think they have a free switch into quag like lilligant, samurott, torterra, etc.
I think the wording here is very awkward, it would be better explained as just that toxic cripples grass types such as [x, y, and z] as well as some other offensive pokemon which can dont mind a scald burn
- waterfall can be used over scald because curse boosts it as well, however scald is generally preffered due to the burn chance offering greater utility before setting up

(remove line break here)
Set Details
========

- max max in both hp and def maximizes quagsires physical bulk and lets it never be 2hko'd by tauros rock climb w/ rocks up and have a p decent chance to survive after 1 spike
it cant hurt to mention a mixed defensive spread here, but I'll leave that to your disgression
- relaxed lets quagsire maintain a neutral nature towards its attack and special attack while lowering its speed (which really doesn't matter for quag b/c its slow as piss anyways)
- unaware lets you ignore stat boosts of the other pokemon so they can't set up on you

Usage Tips
========

- can come in on almost every non-item boosted physical attacker
- can come in on weak and/or resisted special attacks like magneton flash cannon and togetic dazzling gleam
- best used to check a lot of common set-up sweepers that lack grass coverage
- shouldnt be setting up until strong special attackers / grass types are gone
- do your best to avoid toxic because you can't just keep recovering like you can with burn / normal poison
I'd say to avoid status in general because getting burned or poisoned forces quag to recover more, but emphasize how detrimental toxic is compared to the other two
add a line about how conservative quag should be played depending on the scenario, ie preserving it to take on a sweeper such as [x or y] which it checks

(remove line break here)
Team Options
========

- something to take grass type moves and handle grass type pokemon like fletchinder, vileplume, and bouffalant
- passive defensive mons that often get set up upon like ferroseed and uxie are good partners b/c quag can stop pretty much all set-up mons
- something to chew special hits like a hariyama or SpDef Musharna cause quag can't stay in on a lot of strong neutral special attackers
talk about the types of teams that quag can fit on, such as acting as an effective glue / win con for balanced teams or more defensively oriented ones. clerics also deserve a mention because toxic screws over quag obviously.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

- Offensive set, mainly CB or Recover + 3 attacks w/ Stone Edge or Ice Punch
- protect > curse / toxic to scout for random hp grasses

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass Types**: they come in for free, it has a 4x weakness, and most grass types are specially based which lets them hit it on its weaker defensive side
grass types not named vileplume are crippled by toxic, add that
**Strong Special Attackers**: they break past quag pretty easily b/c of its middling spdef. Quag's typing also doesn't have a lot of good resistances to special moves outside of electric types.
examples por favor, maybe change the title of this one to wallbreakers since some really strong physical attackers like banded sawk / bouff, guts normal types like zangoose / swellow / ursaring have no issue 2hkoing quag
**Toxic**: quag can shake off burn and normal poison pretty well thanks to recover, but toxic stacks every turn which prevents quag from just recovering off the damage
**Ice-Types That Carry Freeze-Dry**: Ice Types that would normally hit Quag neutrally such as Aurorus and Cryogonal, hit it exceptionally hard because of its 4x Weakness to Freeze Dry
remove the last one since quag shouldnt be taking on ice types for the most part in the first place, being physically defensive and the only physical ice type, albeit an important one, is sneasel.
Looking better, comments are in bold. Feel free to disagree with anything or ask a question if I wasn't clear on something. I'll stamp after the above is done.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Overview
Add a bullet point about how Quag is very troubled by plethora of grass types in the tier [there are 10 in the b through A+ ranks fwiw]

SpDef -> SpD [formatting on the set where you list the evs]

UT
In usage tips, you need to mention every single move on the set at least once, just general protocol and such for clarity of the set and how it works. Add bullet points or incorporate into what you have the following: when should quag recover, when should it use toxic (ie early game, mid game, etc), and when should it use scald. I trust that you can answer these points well. Some of the points are a bit vague, and adding specific moves to them should help give them more clarity.

TO
In the third bullet point, I don't think spdef mush is a great example here because while spdef has its merits on musharna, physically defensive is much more common and effective. Some other examples that could go here are mantine, flareon, and regirock (I guess).
- clerics work well with quag since they can heal off any stray toxics that can cripple quagsire
Add an example or two here.

C&C
In the section on grass-types, note that vileplume stands out from all other grass types in that it is immune to toxic (which is very important), albeit being nuetral to ground it easily shrugs off earthquake anyways. Simply put, [in my own words but feel free to reword however just trying to get the point across], grass types resist both of quagsires stab moves and some can use it as setup fodder, while all with the exception of vileplume are crippled by toxic.
For wallbreakers, mention that they have no business switching in because they're either crippled by toxic and/or scald burns or relatively frail, and the reason they are an issue to quag is that they can consistently pressure and overwhelm quagsire with their powerful attacks.

Good work, after the above is done you have

QC 1/3

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Encore in OO

Special attackers in C&C

You could also mention somewhere like Overview / UT or somethin that it can be lured by Grass coverage on Uxie and Garbo and stuff so it needs to look out for that

QC 2/3

I'd cut anything related to sweeping with Curse because it almost never happens. I saw a bit about it in the Overview as well as Usage Tips. it's literally just to beat Mega Audino and Malamar.

I'd mention Haze in Other Options. It sounds super redundant on an Unaware Pokemon, but it allows to you come in on bulky setup sweepers, eliminate their boosts, and pivot into a teammate that can handle it from there. It also allows for a quick response to stuff like Stored Power Musharna.

Write this up so I can stamp it.

I'd cut anything related to sweeping with Curse because it almost never happens. I saw a bit about it in the Overview as well as Usage Tips. it's literally just to beat Mega Audino and Malamar.

I'd mention Haze in Other Options. It sounds super redundant on an Unaware Pokemon, but it allows to you come in on bulky setup sweepers, eliminate their boosts, and pivot into a teammate that can handle it from there. It also allows for a quick response to stuff like Stored Power Musharna.

Write this up so I can stamp it.
implemented and wrote up, so you can get to that 3rd stamp when you wake up.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I don't know about you, but Curse has proven very handy in cleaning up games outside of the Mega Audino and Malamar matchup, such as setting up on things like Tauros, Hariyama, and non-Taunt Archeops and handily beating them as opposed to having to Recover every damn turn just to stay healthy. It also prevents Quag from falling victim to Gurdurr, especially if Quag accidentally burned it with Scald.

So yeah Can-Eh-Dian, you can keep the bit of Curse sweeping because while it doesn't occur too often it does happen enough to warrant mentioning (at least, on a softer note).

if you ARE going to mention it, just make sure you tell the readers that Curse isn't actually meant for sweeping

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello, this is an amcheck.

Additions

Removals

[Comments]

[OVERVIEW]

Quagsire is an excellent defensive pokemon Pokemon in NU due to it's [Remove apostrophe] extremely rare ability Unaware, which gives it a niche in checking most of the set-up [Remove hyphen] sweepers in the tier. Quagsire also has access to a fantastic Water/Ground typing which leaves it with only one weakness, Grass-type [Add hyphen] attacks,. [Remove comma, add period] as well as It also has access to reliable recovery in the move Recover, giving it a reliable source of recovery. However, Quagsire is not unbreakable due to its mediocre defensive stats, as well as the fact that it is greatly threatened by all the high ranking common Grass-type pokemon Pokemon in NU, such as Lilligant and Vileplume.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake is Quagsire's main STAB move as it is boosted by Curse, as well as hitting Fire-, [add hyphen] Rock-, [add hyphen] and Steel-types for good super effective damage. Recover allows Quagsire to replenish 50% of its health. Scald is Quagsire's most spammable move, (AC) as due to the fact that it has a nice 30% chance to burn the opponent, and even though it isn't boosted by curse Curse, it still provides utility outside of setting up. Curse raises your attack Quagsire's Attack and defense Defense at the cost of lowering your its speed Speed, and is used to beat passive, (AC) bulky boosters like such as Malamar and Mega Audino that would normally stall you Quagsire out of PP. Toxic cripples Grass-types like such as Lilligant, Exeggutor and Torterra, while also wearing down special attackers like such as Samurott and Musharna that don't mind being burned by Scald. Waterfall can be used over Scald because curse Curse boosts its power as well, however Scald is generally preferred due to the 30% burn chance offering greater defensive utility before setting up.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in both HP and Physical Defense allows Quagsire to never be 2HKO'd by Life Orb Tauros's Rock Climb after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery, while also having a pretty good chance to not be 2HKO'ed [Remove apostrophe]with a spike up after one layer of Spikes. A Relaxed nature lets Quagsire maintain a neutral nature in both attacking stats, while lowering its speed, which is largely irrelevant due to Quagsire's terrible base speed. Unaware lets you ignore the stat boosts of opposing Pokemon so that they can't set up on Quagsire. An alternate spread of 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpDef can offer Quagsire some more special bulk, while still avoiding the 2HKO from Kangaskhan, Archeops, and Hariyama.

Usage Tips
========

Quagsire can come in on almost every non-item boosted physical attacker as well as weak and/or resisted special attacks like such as Magneton's Flash Cannon and Togetic's Dazzling Gleam. Scald and Toxic should be clicked used early in the game in order to wear down the opponent's Pokemon with status. Quagsire is best used by checking a lot of common set-up [Remove hyphen] sweepers that lack grass Grass-type coverage such as Fletchinder and Swords Dance Sneasel. Note that Quagsire can end up sweeping late game with Curse if the opponent has no strong special attackers or Grass-type Pokemon left, although this situation is relatively uncommon. Do your best to avoid status as it forces Quagsire to recover more,; [Remove comma, add semicolon] Toxic gets a special mention, since you can't simply keep recovering off the residual damage. Recover when Quagsire is low on health in order to maintain its ability to check set-up [Remove hyphen] sweepers. Earthquake is Quagsire's your most reliable STAB move and should be used clicked when you're boosted Quagsire has attained boosts, or if you want to get more damage off. Be wary of Grass-type coverage moves from the likes of Garbodor, Magmortar, and Magneton as they can surprise Quagsire with HP grass Hidden Power Grass or Seed Bomb and deal a ton of damage, (AC) or simply straight knock it out.

Team Options
========

Quagsire appreciates a teammates to take Grass-type moves and handle Grass-type Pokemon. Pokemon like such as Fletchinder, Vileplume, and Bouffalant all work rather well. Passive, defensive Pokemon that often get set up upon such as Ferroseed and Uxie are good partners because Quagsire can stop pretty much all set-up [Remove hyphen] sweepers. Quagsire also appreciates a teammates that can chew tank special hits like such as Hariyama or Mantine because Quagsire can't stay in on a lot of strong neutral special attackers. Clerics such as Mega Audino or Musharna also work well with Quagsire since they can heal off any stray status that can cripple Quagsire. Quagsire works really well on more balanced and defensive teams because it acts as a blanket check to most of the metagame, (AC) as well as being a glue that can check set-up [Remove hyphen] sweepers efficiently.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An offensive set that has either a Choice Band or 3 Attacks + Recover allows Quagsire to maintain offensive presence while checking the weaker set-up [Remove hyphen] sweepers. Running Protect over Curse or Toxic allows Quagsire to scout for Grass-type coverage moves like Energy Ball or Hidden Power Grass in order to avoid being OHKO'ed [Remove apstrophe] by them. Encore can allow Quagsire to check bulky boosters without setting up itself. Haze allows Quagsire to come in on bulky setup sweepers, eliminate their boosts, and pivot into a teammate that can handle it from there, as well as allowing Quagsire to act as an emergency check to Stored Power Musharna.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types come in for free on Quagsire and exploit its 4x weakness to Grass-type moves. Also, most Grass-types are specially based, (AC) which lets them hit Quagsire on its weaker Special Defense stat defensive side. However, pretty much almost all grass Grass-types outside of Roselia and Vileplume don't appreciate Toxic, and both Roselia and Vileplume shrug off Earthquakes pretty easily.

**Wallbreakers**: Strong Wallbreakers wallbreakers break past Quagsire pretty easily because of the consistent offensive pressure that they apply, as well as taking advantage of Quagsire's middling defensive stats. Quagsire's typing also doesn't offer it a lot of resistances against premier Wallbreakers wallbreakers such as Sawk, Zangoose, and Samurott. However, Wallbreakers wallbreakers have a hard time switching in to Quagsire as they risk being crippled by a potential Scald burn Burn or Toxic.

**Toxic**: Quagsire can shake off Burn and normal Poison damage pretty well thanks to Recover, but Toxic damage stacks every turn, which prevents Quagsire from simply continuing to recover off the damage.

**Special Attackers attackers**: Special attackers such as Pyroar and Mesprit can easily break through Quagsire's low Special Defense and hit it with powerful neutral attacks such as Hyper Voice or Psychic, (AC) respectively.

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
TheEpicBro Add
TheEpicBro Remove
[TheEpicBro Comment]

Rhythms Add
Rhythms Remove
(Rhythms Comment)

[OVERVIEW]

Quagsire is an excellent defensive pokemon Pokemon in NU due thanks to it's [Remove apostrophe] extremely rare ability Unaware, which gives it a niche in checking most of the set-up [Remove hyphen] sweepers in the tier NU metagame. (There are still setup sweepers that arent in NU such as PU mons and NFEs) Quagsire also has access to a fantastic Water/Ground Water / Ground typing which leaves it with only one weakness, being Grass-types [Add hyphen] attacks,. [Remove comma, add period] as well as It Quagsire also has access to reliable recovery in the move (Don't add "The move") Recover, giving it a reliable source of recovery. However, Quagsire is not unbreakable due to its mediocre defensive stats, (RC) as well as and the fact that it is greatly threatened by all the high ranking common Grass-type pokemon Pokemon in NU, such as Lilligant and Vileplume.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake is Quagsire's main STAB move as it is boosted by Curse, as well as hitting (The move itself isn't boosted by Curse, but the stat) hits Fire-, [add hyphen] Rock-, [add hyphen] and Steel-types for good super effective damage. Recover allows Quagsire to replenish 50% of its health. Scald is Quagsire's most spammable move, (AC) as due to the fact that it has a nice 30% chance to burn the opponent, and, (AC) even though it can't take advantage of the Attack boosts from isn't boosted by curse Curse, it still provides utility outside of setting up. Curse raises your attack Quagsire's Attack and defense Defense at the cost of lowering your its speed Speed, and it is used to beat passive, (AC) bulky boosters that would normally PP stall Quagsire like such as Malamar and Mega Audino that would normally stall you Quagsire (Don't add Quagsire) out of PP. Toxic cripples Grass-types, (AC) like such as Lilligant, Exeggutor and Torterra, while also wearing down special attackers like such as Samurott and Musharna that don't mind being burned by Scald. Waterfall can be used over Scald because curse Curse boosts its power as well; (Add Semicolon) however, however Scald is generally preferred due thanks to the 30% burn chance, (AC) offering greater defensive utility before setting up.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in both HP and Physical Defense allows Quagsire to never be 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Life Orb Tauros's Life Orb-boosted Rock Climb after Stealth Rock damage and Leftovers recovery, (RC) while also having a pretty good chance to not be 2HKO'ed [Remove apostrophe]with a spike up after one layer of Spikes. A Relaxed nature lets Quagsire maintain a neutral nature in both attacking stats, while lowering but lowers its speed, which is largely irrelevant due to Quagsire's terrible base speed 35 Speed. Unaware lets you Quagsire ignore the stat boosts of opposing Pokemon, (AC) so that they can't set up on Quagsire. An alternate spread of 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpDef can offer Quagsire some more special bulk, (RC) while still avoiding the a 2HKO from Kangaskhan, Archeops, and Hariyama.

Usage Tips
========

Quagsire can come in on almost every non-item boosted non-item-boosted physical attacker as well as weak and/or resisted special attacks like such as Magneton's Flash Cannon and Togetic's Dazzling Gleam. Scald and Toxic should be clicked used early in the game early-game in order to wear down the opponent's Pokemon with status. Quagsire is best used by checking a lot of common set-up [Remove hyphen] sweepers that lack grass Grass-type coverage such as Fletchinder and Swords Dance Sneasel. Note that Quagsire can end up sweeping late game late-game with Curse if the opponent has no strong special attackers or Grass-type Pokemon left, although this situation is relatively uncommon. Do your best to avoid status as it forces Quagsire to recover use Recover more,; [Remove comma, add semicolon] Toxic gets a special mention, since you as foes can't simply keep recovering off the residual damage. Recover when Quagsire is low on health in order to maintain its ability to check set-up [Remove hyphen] sweepers. Earthquake is Quagsire's your most reliable STAB move and should be used clicked when you're boosted Quagsire has attained boosts, or if you want to get more damage off. Be wary of Grass-type coverage moves from the likes of Garbodor, Magmortar, and Magneton, (AC) as they can surprise Quagsire with HP grass Hidden Power Grass or Seed Bomb and deal a ton of damage, (AC) or simply straight knock it out.

Team Options
========

Quagsire appreciates a teammates to that can take Grass-type moves and handle Grass-type Pokemon. Pokemon like such as Fletchinder, Vileplume, and Bouffalant all work rather well. Passive, defensive Pokemon that often get set up upon such as Ferroseed and Uxie are good partners because Quagsire can stop pretty much all set-up [Remove hyphen] sweepers that threaten them. Quagsire also appreciates a teammates that can chew tank special hits like such as Hariyama or Mantine because Quagsire can't stay in on a lot of strong neutral special attackers. Clerics such as Mega Audino or Musharna also work well with Quagsire since because they can heal off any stray status that can cripple Quagsire. Quagsire works really well on more balanced and defensive teams because it acts as a blanket check to most of the NU metagame, (AC) as well as being a glue that can check set-up [Remove hyphen] sweepers efficiently.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An offensive set that has either a Choice Band or 3 Attacks + Recover allows Quagsire to maintain its offensive presence while checking the weaker set-up [Remove hyphen] sweepers. Running Protect over Curse or Toxic allows Quagsire to scout for Grass-type coverage moves like such as Energy Ball or Hidden Power Grass in order to avoid being OHKO'ed [Remove apostrophe] by them. Encore can allow Quagsire to check bulky boosters without setting up itself. Haze allows Quagsire to come in on bulky setup sweepers, eliminate their boosts, and pivot into a teammate that can handle it from there, as well as allowing Quagsire to act as an emergency check to Stored Power Musharna.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types come in for free on Quagsire and exploit its 4x weakness to Grass-type moves. Also, most Grass-types are specially based, (AC) which lets them hit Quagsire on its weaker Special Defense stat defensive side. However, pretty much almost all grass Grass-types outside of Roselia and Vileplume don't appreciate Toxic, and both Roselia and Vileplume shrug off Earthquakes pretty easily.

**Wallbreakers**: Strong Wallbreakers wallbreakers break past Quagsire pretty easily because of the consistent offensive pressure that they apply, as well as taking advantage of Quagsire's middling defensive stats. Quagsire's typing also doesn't offer it a lot of resistances against premier Wallbreakers wallbreakers such as Sawk, Zangoose, and Samurott. However, Wallbreakers wallbreakers have a hard time switching in to into Quagsire, (AC) as they risk being crippled by a potential Scald burn Burn (don't capitalize this) or Toxic damage.

**Toxic**: Quagsire can shake off Burn burn and normal Poison poison damage pretty well thanks to Recover, but Toxic damage stacks every turn, which prevents Quagsire from simply continuing to recover off the damage.

**Special Attackers attackers (Don't change this)**: Special attackers such as Pyroar and Mesprit can easily break through Quagsire's low Special Defense and hit it with powerful neutral attacks such as Hyper Voice or Psychic, (AC) respectively.

[OVERVIEW]

Quagsire is an excellent defensive Pokemon in NU thanks to its ability Unaware, which gives it a niche in checking most of the setup sweepers in the NU metagame. Quagsire also has access to a fantastic Water / Ground typing which leaves it with only one weakness, being Grass-types. Quagsire also has access to Recover, giving it a reliable source of recovery. However, Quagsire is not unbreakable due to its mediocre defensive stats and the fact that it is greatly threatened by all the common Grass-type Pokemon in NU, such as Lilligant and Vileplume.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake hits Fire-, Rock-, and Steel-types for super effective damage. Recover allows Quagsire to replenish 50% of its health. Scald is Quagsire's most spammable move, as it has a nice 30% chance to burn the opponent, and, even though it can't take advantage of the Attack boosts from Curse, it still provides utility outside of setting up. Curse raises Quagsire's Attack and Defense at the cost of lowering its Speed, and it is used to beat passive, bulky boosters that would normally PP stall Quagsire such as Malamar and Mega Audino. Toxic cripples Grass-types, such as Lilligant, Exeggutor and Torterra, while also wearing down special attackers such as Samurott and Musharna that don't mind being burned by Scald. Waterfall can be used over Scald because Curse boosts its power as well; however, Scald is generally preferred thanks to the 30% burn chance, offering greater defensive utility before setting up.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in both HP and Defense allow Quagsire to never be 2HKOed by Tauros's Life Orb-boosted Rock Climb after Stealth Rock damage and Leftovers recovery while also having a pretty good chance to not be 2HKOed after one layer of Spikes. A Relaxed nature lets Quagsire maintain a neutral nature in both attacking stats, but lowers its speed, which is largely irrelevant due to Quagsire's terrible base 35 Speed. Unaware lets Quagsire ignore the stat boosts of opposing Pokemon, so they can't set up on Quagsire. An alternate spread of 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD can offer Quagsire some more special bulk, while still avoiding a 2HKO from Kangaskhan, Archeops, and Hariyama.

Usage Tips
========

Quagsire can come in on almost every non-item-boosted physical attacker as well as weak or resisted special attacks such as Magneton's Flash Cannon and Togetic's Dazzling Gleam. Scald and Toxic should be used early-game in order to wear down the opponent's Pokemon with status. Quagsire is best used by checking a lot of common setup sweepers that lack Grass-type coverage such as Fletchinder and Swords Dance Sneasel. Note that Quagsire can end up sweeping late-game with Curse if the opponent has no strong special attackers or Grass-type Pokemon left, although this situation is uncommon. Do your best to avoid status as it forces Quagsire to use Recover more; Toxic gets a special mention, as foes can't simply keep recovering off the residual damage. Recover when Quagsire is low on health in order to maintain its ability to check setup sweepers. Earthquake is Quagsire's most reliable STAB move and should be used when Quagsire has attained boosts, or if you want to get more damage off. Be wary of Grass-type coverage moves from the likes of Garbodor, Magmortar, and Magneton, as they can surprise Quagsire with Hidden Power Grass or Seed Bomb and deal a ton of damage, or simply knock it out.

Team Options
========

Quagsire appreciates teammates that can take Grass-type moves and handle Grass-type Pokemon. Pokemon such as Fletchinder, Vileplume, and Bouffalant all work rather well. Passive, defensive Pokemon that often get set up on such as Ferroseed and Uxie are good partners because Quagsire can stop pretty much all setup sweepers that threaten them. Quagsire also appreciates teammates that can tank special hits such as Hariyama or Mantine because Quagsire can't stay in on a lot of strong neutral special attackers. Clerics such as Mega Audino or Musharna also work well with Quagsire because they can heal any stray status that can cripple Quagsire. Quagsire works really well on more balanced and defensive teams because it acts as a blanket check to most of the NU metagame, as well as being a glue that can check setup sweepers efficiently.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An offensive set that has either a Choice Band or 3 Attacks + Recover allows Quagsire to maintain its offensive presence while checking weaker set-up sweepers. Running Protect over Curse or Toxic allows Quagsire to scout for Grass-type coverage moves such as Energy Ball or Hidden Power Grass in order to avoid being OHKOed by them. Encore can allow Quagsire to check bulky boosters without setting up itself. Haze allows Quagsire to come in on bulky setup sweepers, eliminate their boosts, and pivot into a teammate that can handle it from there, as well as allowing Quagsire to act as an emergency check to Stored Power Musharna.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types come in for free on Quagsire and exploit its 4x weakness to Grass-type moves. Also, most Grass-types are specially based, which lets them hit Quagsire on its weaker Special Defense stat . However, almost all Grass-types outside of Roselia and Vileplume don't appreciate Toxic, and both Roselia and Vileplume shrug off Earthquakes easily.

**Wallbreakers**: Strong wallbreakers break past Quagsire pretty easily because of the consistent offensive pressure that they apply, as well as taking advantage of Quagsire's middling defensive stats. Quagsire's typing also doesn't offer it a lot of resistances against premier wallbreakers such as Sawk, Zangoose, and Samurott. However, wallbreakers have a hard time switching into Quagsire, as they risk being crippled by a potential Scald burn or Toxic damage.

**Toxic**: Quagsire can shake off Burn burn and normal poison damage pretty well thanks to Recover, but Toxic damage stacks every turn, which prevents Quagsire from simply continuing to recover off the damage.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers such as Pyroar and Mesprit can easily break through Quagsire's low Special Defense and hit it with powerful neutral attacks such as Hyper Voice or Psychic, respectively.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)