NU Sawk

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
taken over from Scraftyisthebest

[OVERVIEW]

A massive Attack backed by a STAB Close Combat makes Sawk one of the premier wallbreakers in the NeverUsed tier. When equipped with Choice Band or Choice Scarf, Sawk finds itself OHKOing or outpacing the majority of the tier. With access to two great abilities in Sturdy and Mold Breaker, as well as a great movepool, Sawk is able to get past several Pokemon that would otherwise trouble it. Middling bulk and Speed can hold Sawk back in a tier filled with faster threats, but Sawk's ability to tear through defensive teams is typically enough to warrant use on any team.

[SET]
name: Wallbreaker
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Zen Headbutt
move 4: Stone Edge / Ice Punch
item: Choice Band / Black Belt
ability: Sturdy
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Close Combat is a powerful and reliable STAB move that deals huge amounts of damage even to Pokemon that resist it. Knock Off hits the Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon that look to switch in on Close Combat, and it also has the added benefit of removing the foe's item. Zen Headbutt gives Sawk a reliable way to hit common defensive Poison-types such as Weezing, Vileplume, and Garbodor. Stone Edge lets Sawk hit Flying-types such as Scyther, Mantine, and Xatu. If you value accuracy more than power, Ice Punch also lets Sawk hit Flying-types and can hit other common switch-ins such as Vileplume super effectively. Earthquake can be used to avoid making contact with Garbodor; this lets Sawk dodge any potential Rocky Helmet or Aftermath damage. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types such as Granbull and Togetic, though neither is common.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed investment with an Adamant nature takes advantage of Sawk's solid Speed tier and great base Attack. Sturdy turns Sawk into a semi-reliable check to anything it can OHKO, as Sawk can survive any hit with 1 HP and retaliate with a powerful attack. Mold Breaker can be used to OHKO lead Crustle with Stone Edge and hit levitating Pokemon such as Weezing and Rotom with Earthquake. Choice Band boosts Sawk's already high Attack to sky-high levels; however, Life Orb and Black Belt are both viable options to boost Sawk's power while maintaining the ability to switch moves. Sawk can also run a Jolly nature to outspeed certain Pokemon such as positive-natured Mesprit and neutral-natured Kangaskhan and Zangoose, but the drop in power is considerable.

Usage Tips
========

Thanks to its monstrous Attack, Sawk can immediately threaten almost any team with its powerful attacks. Sawk should aim to break down opposing walls with strong attacks and hopefully weaken a teammate's check or counter for a late-game sweep. With Sturdy, Sawk can take any hit and retaliate with a powerful attack; this makes it a great check to almost any sweeper, provided Stealth Rock is not on your side of the field. Keep in mind that having to choose a single move to lock Sawk into can be a predicament early-game, so weigh your options based on the opponent's team and use the move that hits the most optimal switch-ins hard. If you find yourself caught up in choosing a move to lock into, Knock Off and Close Combat are both solid options, as they remove the foe's item and severely dent the foe's HP, respectively.

Team Options
========

Dark-types such as Pawniard, Liepard, and Sneasel can deal with Psychic- and Ghost-types that prevent Sawk from spamming Close Combat. Defog and Rapid Spin users such as Prinplup, Mantine, Claydol, and Cryogonal help keep Sawk's Sturdy intact, allowing it to check threatening setup sweepers. Xatu also keeps the field clear of entry hazards with Magic Bounce, and it can deal with defensive Poison-types such as Garbodor and Weezing to an extent. Other powerful attackers such as Pyroar work well with Sawk to overwhelm the opponent's defensive Pokemon. Sawk forces a lot of switches, so entry hazard users such as Crustle, Rhydon, and Garbodor can help to wear down the opposing team by setting up Spikes and Stealth Rock. Fast Pokemon and setup sweepers such as Scyther and Lilligant appreciate Sawk's wallbreaking ability and often find themselves with the opportunity to sweep late-game.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Ice Punch
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Mold Breaker / Sturdy
nature: Adamant

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Close Combat is a reliable STAB move that hits extremely hard. Knock Off provides solid coverage with Close Combat and hits Ghost- and Psychic-types looking to switch in on Close Combat super effectively. Earthquake hits Poison-types such as Weezing for good damage and also hits levitating Pokemon such as Mesprit and Rotom if Sawk has Mold Breaker. Ice Punch lets Sawk hit Vileplume and Flying-types such as Rotom-S for super effective damage. Thanks to Sturdy, Reversal can allow Sawk to do a good amount of damage to anything if it survives with 1 HP.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed investment with an Adamant nature gives Sawk the ability to hit hard and take advantage of the Speed boost from Choice Scarf. Mold Breaker lets Sawk hit levitating Pokemon such as Rotom and Weezing with Earthquake. Sturdy is also a viable ability, as it allows Sawk to act as a one-time check to any threat provided it hasn't taken any prior damage; it can also be useful when running Reversal to get off a powerful hit.

Usage Tips
========

Sawk should be played as a revenge killer and late-game cleaner that can surprise fast foes with the Speed boost from Choice Scarf. Weaken or remove Pokemon that resist Fighting throughout the course of the match to give Sawk an easier time running through the opposition later in the game. Make use of Sawk's coverage moves to hit common switch-ins, as without an Attack boost of some kind, there are quite a few Pokemon that can switch into Sawk easily.

Team Options
========

Powerful wallbreakers such as Choice Specs Pyroar and Life Orb Samurott pair well with Sawk and can wear down the opponent's team for a late-game Sawk sweep. Stealth Rock and Spikes users such as Mesprit, Rhydon, Crustle, Garbodor, and Ferroseed can help weaken the opponent's team with their respective entry hazards. Volt Switch, Baton Pass, and U-turn users such as Rotom, Leafeon, Scyther, and Mesprit can help gain momentum and get Sawk into favorable matchups. No matter what you pair with Sawk, it's essential that you weaken the opponent's team heavily, as without a boosting item, Sawk is not as powerful.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Sawk can utilize a number of coverage moves, such as Thunder Punch and Taunt, to help out teammates and get past certain Pokemon. Expert Belt can be an interesting item to retain a boost on super effective attacks while also giving Sawk the ability to switch moves and bluff a Choice set. Sawk can also run a set that utilizes Bulk Up, but Gurdurr is generally better suited for such a set.

Checks & Counters
===================

**Psychic-types**: Bulky Psychic-types such as Musharna, Uxie, and Xatu can switch into Sawk's Close Combat with relative ease. However, they need to be wary of Knock Off, as Xatu is OHKOed and Musharna and Uxie don't appreciate taking the hit or losing their Leftovers.

**Poison-types**: Bulky Poison-types such as Garbodor, Weezing, and Vileplume can switch into Sawk's Close Combat better than most Psychic-types because they don't fear Knock Off. All three are able to take at least one Zen Headbutt, but Weezing and Garbodor lack reliable recovery, which leaves them prone to being worn down throughout the game. Sawk does need to watch out for Will-O-Wisp from Weezing and Effect Spore from Vileplume, as an errant burn or paralysis can easily end a sweep.

**Faster Pokemon**: Any Pokemon that can outspeed and OHKO Sawk can counter it. The only ways to prevent this are using a fast teammate or preserving Sawk's Sturdy. Common Pokemon that outspeed and OHKO Sawk include Scyther, Pyroar, Archeops, Swellow, and Jynx.

**Status Conditions**: Sawk really needs to make the most of its average Speed and monstrous Attack. Pokemon that carry Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp such as Musharna, Uxie, Mismagius, and Weezing can be a little more tricky to play around if they aren't in KO range or get a free switch.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Considering you've used Sawk quite a bit I'm sure you know what you're doing lol
Remove Rock Slide from OO imo, its really not worth losing the power in exchange for accuracy.
Also be sure to get rid of those 3 gatr and heliolisk mentions

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
You mention Life Orb in Set Details of the Wallbreaker set, despite the fact you don't have it slashed in and that Sturdy is the only ability present. I'd probably just omit the mention, while adding that Black Belt can allow Sawk to bluff CB.

Rock Slide still in OO >.>

Expert Belt in OO; trades consistent buff to STAB for small buff to SE moves (makes use of Sawk's good coverage and do more against Fighting resists) while also bluffing Choice.

In C&C, you can probably add a Status section cos Sawk hates paralysis and especially burn, and many of Sawk's counters carry these moves.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ok added all bolt's and punch's stuff. I also liked what kush said about sturdy on scarf (im actually not sure why its not the main ability, but this was in qc since august so I'm assuming there was a good reason) so I added that and slashed reversal as its really good on Sturdy Scarf.

also a side note, do we really need to mention for every single pokemon that status is an issue? that should be common sense, i think we stopped mentioning clerics in every fucking analysis for this reason so i dont see why we're still mentioning that offensive mons hate t wave and burn. i dont mind mentioning it like one line in usage tips or for specific mons in c&c but anything more than that seems like useless filler to me, i'll make a post with better arguments in discussion thread wehn i have time i suppose.

this is written now

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
...but Sawk's ability to tear through defensive teams is typically enough to warrant a moveslot on any team.
I think you meant teamslot here.
Add to the overview somewhere about Sawk's excellent movepool which allows it to muscle past and hit its typical checks for super effective damage. Maybe not worded like that but you get the idea; having a great movepool is always a notable quality.

In set details note that a Jolly nature specifically allows sawk to outspeed positive natured mesprit, as well as adamant zangoose and adamant kangaskhan.

In usage, tips, maybe note how a choice locked sawk can be somewhat prediction reliant since as you know all teams carry one or more fighting resists, and it can be pretty easy to exploit a sawk locked into stone edge or whatever. That being said, I'd like to see in this section a short sentence saying something along the lines of "use sawks coverage moves to hit the appropriate target"; might seem a bit obvious but I feel its helpful to add. It also can't hurt to say that Knock Off is pretty spammable early game as well since it cripples Sawk's checks / common switch ins. You mentioned this in the second set, just say something of the like here.

Try to add some more stuff to team options of Scarf, it seems like it could use some beefing up. Maybe expand a bit on some of the points, like noting how significantly weaker sawk is without a boosting item and how valuable wallbreakers are to it as teammates.
Moves
########
Small formatting change, this should be a "========"

I really dont like Poison Jab on scarf sawk, since it really wants coverage to hit faster pokemon, and without a boosting item it's pretty weak. I'd remove it.

Remove Fire Punch from OO, I can't see any merit for its use. Iffy on Bulk Up as well but w/e
**Psychic-types**: Bulky Psychic-types such as Musharna, Uxie, and Xatu can switch into Sawk's Close Combat with relative ease; however, they need to be wary of Knock Off, as Xatu is OHKOed and Musharna and Uxie don't appreciate taking the hit.
Only thing I'd add here is that they also dislike losing their leftovers, as musharna is pressured to moonlight more often (which is bad for it with only 8 pp) but less in the case of Xatu.

Leave status for now, as we can always remove it later but you do bring up a good point and we will discuss it.

This is a bunch of stuff so tag me back and I'll stamp.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just for the record I hate status always being mentioned in C&C too, I mean it should go without saying most mons are crippled by some form of status lol

Besides if specific Pokemon that check / counter something carry a status move, can't you just mention that as what they do back?

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2 :)
fun fact of the day: i typed in most of the bbcode myself because my mouse is being uncooperative @__@
Overview
########

A massive Attack backed by a STAB Close Combat makes Sawk one of the premier wallbreakers in the NeverUsed tier. When equipped with Choice Band or Choice Scarf, Sawk finds itself OHKOing or outpacing the majority of the tier. With access to two great abilities in Sturdy and Mold Breaker, and as well as a great movepool, Sawk is able to get past several Pokemon that would otherwise trouble it. Middling bulk and Speed can hold Sawk back in a tier filled with faster threats, but Sawk's ability to tear through defensive teams is typically enough to warrant a teamslot on any team.

Wallbreaker
########

Moves
========

Close Combat is a powerful and reliable STAB move that deals huge amounts of damage even to those that resist it. Knock Off hits the Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon that look to switch in on Close Combat, and it also has the added benefit of removing the foe's item. Zen Headbutt gives Sawk a reliable way to hit common defensive Poison-types such as Weezing, Vileplume, and Garbodor. Stone Edge lets Sawk hit Flying-types such as Scyther, Mantine, and Xatu. If you value accuracy more than power, Ice Punch also lets Sawk hit Flying-types and can hit other common switch-ins such as Vileplume super effectively. Earthquake can be used to avoid making contact with Garbodor,(remove comma, add semicolon) this lets Sawk dodges any potential Rocky Helmet or Aftermath damage. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types such as Granbull and Togetic, though neither are is nearly common enough.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed investment with an Adamant nature takes (investment is singular) advantage of Sawk's solid Speed tier and great base Attack. Sturdy turns Sawk into a semi-reliable check to anything it can OHKO, as you can live Sawk can survive any hit on with 1(remove dash, add space)HP and retaliate with a powerful attack. Mold Breaker can be used to OHKO lead Crustle with Stone Edge and hit levitating Pokemon such as Weezing and Rotom with Earthquake. Choice Band boosts Sawk's already high Attack to sky(dash)high levels; however, Life Orb and Black Belt are both viable options to boost Sawk's power while maintaining the ability to switch moves. Sawk can also run a Jolly nature to outspeed certain Pokemon such as positive(dash)natured Mesprit and neutral(dash)natured Kangaskhan and Zangoose, but the drop in power is considerable.

Usage Tips
========

Thanks to its monstrous Attack, Sawk can immediately threaten almost any team with its powerful attacks. Sawk should aim to break down opposing walls with strong attacks, (remove comma) and hopefully weaken a teammate's check or counter for a late-game sweep. With Sturdy, Sawk can take any hit and retaliate with a powerful attack,(replace with semicolon) this makes it a great check to almost any sweeper, provided Stealth Rock are is not on your side of the field. Keep in mind that having to choose a single move to lock yourself Sawk into can be a predicament early(dash)game, so weigh your options based on the opponent's team and use the move that hits the most optimal switch(dash)ins hard. If you find yourself caught up in choosing a move to lock into, Knock Off and Close Combat are both solid options(comma) as they remove the foe's item,(remove comma) and severely dent the foe's HP, respectively.

Team Options
========

Dark-types such as Pawniard, Liepard, and Sneasel can deal with Psychic- and Ghost-types that prevent Sawk from spamming Close Combat. Defog and Rapid Spin users such as Prinplup, Mantine, Claydol, and Cryogonal help keep Sawk's Sturdy intact, allowing it to check threatening setup sweepers. Xatu also keeps the field clear of entry hazards with Magic Bounce, and it can deal with defensive Poison-types such as Garbodor and Weezing to an extent. Other powerful attackers such as Typhlosion work well with Sawk to overwhelm the opponent's defensive Pokemon. Sawk forces a lot of switches, so entry hazard users such as Crustle, Rhydon, and Garbodor can help to wear down the opposing team by setting Spikes and Stealth Rock. Fast Pokemon and setup sweepers such as Scyther and Lilligant appreciate Sawk's wallbreaking ability,(remove comma) and often find themselves with the opportunity to sweep late-game.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Close Combat is a reliable STAB move that hits extremely hard. Knock Off provides solid coverage with Close Combat, (remove dash) and hits Ghost- and Psychic-types looking to switch in on Close Combat super effectively. Earthquake hits Poison-types such as Weezing for good damage and also hits levitating Pokemon such as Mesprit and Rotom if you run Mold Breaker. Ice Punch lets Sawk hit Vileplume and Flying-types such as Rotom-S for super effective damage. Thanks to Sturdy, Reversal can allow Sawk to do a good amount of damage to anything if it survives on with 1 HP.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed with an Adamant nature give Sawk the ability to hit hard and take advantage of the Speed boost from Choice Scarf. Mold Breaker lets Sawk hit levitating Pokemon such as Rotom and Weezing with Earthquake. Sturdy is also a viable ability(comma) as it allows Sawk to act as a one(dash)time check to any threat provided it hasn't taken any prior damage,(replace with semicolon) it can also be useful when running Reversal to get off a powerful hit.

Usage Tips
========

Sawk should be played as a revenge(remove dash, add space)killer and late-game cleaner that can surprise fast foe(remove apostrophe)s with the Speed boost from Choice Scarf. Weaken or remove Pokemon that resist Fighting-type resists throughout the course of the match to give Sawk an easier time running through the opposition later in the game. Make use of Sawk's coverage moves to hit common switch-ins, as without an Attack boost of some kind, there are quite a few Pokemon that can switch into Sawk easily.

Team Options
========

Powerful wallbreakers such as Choice Specs Typhlosion and Life Orb Samurott pair well with Sawk and can wear down the opponent's team for a late-game Sawk sweep. Stealth Rock and Spikes users such as Mesprit, Rhydon, Crustle, Garbodor, and Ferroseed can help weaken the opponent's team with their respective entry hazards. Volt Switch, Baton Pass, and U-turn users such as Rotom, Leafeon, Scyther, and Mesprit can help gain momentum and get Sawk into favorable matchups. No matter what you pair with Sawk, it's essential that you weaken the opponent(apostrophe)s team heavily, as without a boosting item, Sawk is not as powerful.

Other Options
########

Sawk can utilize a number of tech (?) moves, such as the Thunder Punch and Taunt, to help out teammates and get past certain Pokemon. Expert Belt can be an interesting item to retain a boost on super effective attacks,(remove comma) while also giving you Sawk the ability to switch moves and bluff a Choice set. Sawk can also run a set that utilizes Bulk Up, but Gurdurr is generally better suited for such a set.

Checks and Counters
########

**Psychic-types**: Bulky Psychic-types such as Musharna, Uxie, and Xatu can switch into Sawk's Close Combat with relative ease; however, they need to be wary of Knock Off, as Xatu is OHKOed and Musharna and Uxie don't appreciate taking the hit or losing their Leftovers.

**Poison-types**: Bulky Poison-types such as Garbodor, Weezing, and Vileplume can switch into Sawk's Close Combat better than most Psychic-types (did you mean Poison-types there?) because they don't fear Knock Off. All three are able to take at least one Zen Headbutt, but Weezing and Garbodor lack reliable recovery(comma) which leaves them prone to being worn down throughout the game. Sawk does need to watch out for Will-O-Wisp from Weezing and Effect Spore from Vileplume(comma) as an errant burn or paralysis can easily end a sweep.

**Faster Pokemon With Typing Advantage**: Any Pokemon that can outspeed and OHKO Sawk fits into this category, t. The best ways to combat these Pokemon are with a fast teammate or by preserving Sawk's Sturdy. Common Pokemon that outspeed and OHKO Sawk include, but are not limited to:("include" implies that) Typhlosion, Archeops, Swellow, and Jynx.

**Status Conditions**: Sawk really needs to make the most of its average Speed and monstrous Attack. Pokemon that carry Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp such as Musharna, Uxie, Mismagius, and Weezing can be a little more tricky to play around if they aren't in KO range or get a free switch in.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kiyo

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

make sure this is updated for the new analysis format!
Overview
########

A massive Attack backed by a STAB Close Combat makes Sawk one of the premier wallbreakers in the NeverUsed tier. When equipped with Choice Band or Choice Scarf, Sawk finds itself OHKOing or outpacing the majority of the tier. With access to two great abilities in Sturdy and Mold Breaker, as well as a great movepool, Sawk is able to get past several Pokemon that would otherwise trouble it. Middling bulk and Speed can hold Sawk back in a tier filled with faster threats, but Sawk's ability to tear through defensive teams is typically enough to warrant a teamslot use on any team.

Wallbreaker
########

Moves
========

Close Combat is a powerful and reliable STAB move that deals huge amounts of damage even to those Pokemon that resist it. Knock Off hits the Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon that look to switch in on Close Combat, and it also has the added benefit of removing the foe's item. Zen Headbutt gives Sawk a reliable way to hit common defensive Poison-types such as Weezing, Vileplume, and Garbodor. Stone Edge lets Sawk hit Flying-types such as Scyther, Mantine, and Xatu. If you value accuracy more than power, Ice Punch also lets Sawk hit Flying-types and can hit other common switch-ins such as Vileplume super effectively. Earthquake can be used to avoid making contact with Garbodor; this lets Sawk dodge any potential Rocky Helmet or Aftermath damage. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types such as Granbull and Togetic, though neither is nearly common enough. alternatively, 'common enough to warrant use of the move'

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed investment with an Adamant nature takes advantage of Sawk's solid Speed tier and great base Attack. Sturdy turns Sawk into a semi-reliable check to anything it can OHKO, as Sawk can survive any hit with 1 HP and retaliate with a powerful attack. Mold Breaker can be used to OHKO lead Crustle with Stone Edge and hit levitating Pokemon such as Weezing and Rotom with Earthquake. Choice Band boosts Sawk's already high Attack to sky-high levels; however, Life Orb and Black Belt are both viable options to boost Sawk's power while maintaining the ability to switch moves. Sawk can also run a Jolly nature to outspeed certain Pokemon such as positive-natured Mesprit and neutral-natured Kangaskhan and Zangoose, but the drop in power is considerable.

Usage Tips
========

Thanks to its monstrous Attack, Sawk can immediately threaten almost any team with its powerful attacks. Sawk should aim to break down opposing walls with strong attacks and hopefully weaken a teammate's check or counter for a late-game sweep. With Sturdy, Sawk can take any hit and retaliate with a powerful attack; this makes it a great check to almost any sweeper, provided Stealth Rock is not on your side of the field. Keep in mind that having to choose a single move to lock Sawk into can be a predicament early-game, so weigh your options based on the opponent's team and use the move that hits the most optimal switch-ins hard. If you find yourself caught up in choosing a move to lock into, Knock Off and Close Combat are both solid options, as they remove the foe's item and severely dent the foe's HP, respectively.

Team Options
========

Dark-types such as Pawniard, Liepard, and Sneasel can deal with Psychic- and Ghost-types that prevent Sawk from spamming Close Combat. Defog and Rapid Spin users such as Prinplup, Mantine, Claydol, and Cryogonal help keep Sawk's Sturdy intact, allowing it to check threatening setup sweepers. Xatu also keeps the field clear of entry hazards with Magic Bounce, and it can deal with defensive Poison-types such as Garbodor and Weezing to an extent. Other powerful attackers such as Pyroar work well with Sawk to overwhelm the opponent's defensive Pokemon. Sawk forces a lot of switches, so entry hazard users such as Crustle, Rhydon, and Garbodor can help to wear down the opposing team by setting up Spikes and Stealth Rock. Fast Pokemon and setup sweepers such as Scyther and Lilligant appreciate Sawk's wallbreaking ability and often find themselves with the opportunity to sweep late-game.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Close Combat is a reliable STAB move that hits extremely hard. Knock Off provides solid coverage with Close Combat and hits Ghost- and Psychic-types looking to switch in on Close Combat super effectively. Earthquake hits Poison-types such as Weezing for good damage and also hits levitating Pokemon such as Mesprit and Rotom if you run Sawk has Mold Breaker. Ice Punch lets Sawk hit Vileplume and Flying-types such as Rotom-S for super effective damage. Thanks to Sturdy, Reversal can allow Sawk to do a good amount of damage to anything if it survives with 1 HP.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed investment with an Adamant nature gives Sawk the ability to hit hard and take advantage of the Speed boost from Choice Scarf. Mold Breaker lets Sawk hit levitating Pokemon such as Rotom and Weezing with Earthquake. Sturdy is also a viable ability, as it allows Sawk to act as a one-time check to any threat provided it hasn't taken any prior damage; it can also be useful when running Reversal to get off a powerful hit.

Usage Tips
========

Sawk should be played as a revenge killer and late-game cleaner that can surprise fast foes with the Speed boost from Choice Scarf. Weaken or remove Pokemon that resist Fighting throughout the course of the match to give Sawk an easier time running through the opposition later in the game. Make use of Sawk's coverage moves to hit common switch-ins, as without an Attack boost of some kind, there are quite a few Pokemon that can switch into Sawk easily.

Team Options
========

Powerful wallbreakers such as Choice Specs Pyroar and Life Orb Samurott pair well with Sawk and can wear down the opponent's team for a late-game Sawk sweep. Stealth Rock and Spikes users such as Mesprit, Rhydon, Crustle, Garbodor, and Ferroseed can help weaken the opponent's team with their respective entry hazards. Volt Switch, Baton Pass, and U-turn users such as Rotom, Leafeon, Scyther, and Mesprit can help gain momentum and get Sawk into favorable matchups. No matter what you pair with Sawk, it's essential that you weaken the opponent's team heavily, as without a boosting item, Sawk is not as powerful.

Other Options
########

Sawk can utilize a number of coverage moves, such as Thunder Punch and Taunt, to help out teammates and get past certain Pokemon. Expert Belt can be an interesting item to retain a boost on super effective attacks while also giving Sawk the ability to switch moves and bluff a Choice set. Sawk can also run a set that utilizes Bulk Up, but Gurdurr is generally better suited for such a set.

Checks and Counters
########

**Psychic-types**: Bulky Psychic-types such as Musharna, Uxie, and Xatu can switch into Sawk's Close Combat with relative ease. However, they need to be wary of Knock Off, as Xatu is OHKOed and Musharna and Uxie don't appreciate taking the hit or losing their Leftovers.

**Poison-types**: Bulky Poison-types such as Garbodor, Weezing, and Vileplume can switch into Sawk's Close Combat better than most Psychic-types because they don't fear Knock Off. All three are able to take at least one Zen Headbutt, but Weezing and Garbodor lack reliable recovery, which leaves them prone to being worn down throughout the game. Sawk does need to watch out for Will-O-Wisp from Weezing and Effect Spore from Vileplume, as an errant burn or paralysis can easily end a sweep.

**Faster Pokemon With a Typing Advantage**: Any Pokemon that can outspeed and OHKO Sawk can counter it fits into this category. The best ways to combat these Pokemon only ways to prevent this are with using a fast teammate or by preserving Sawk's Sturdy. Common Pokemon that outspeed and OHKO Sawk include: (remove) a bit subjective Pyroar, Archeops, Swellow, and Jynx.

**Status Conditions**: Sawk really needs to make the most of its average Speed and monstrous Attack. Pokemon that carry Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp such as Musharna, Uxie, Mismagius, and Weezing can be a little more tricky to play around if they aren't in KO range or get a free switch in.

2/2

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Hi here is a copypaste because kiyo is lazy.
[OVERVIEW]

A massive Attack backed by a STAB Close Combat makes Sawk one of the premier wallbreakers in the NeverUsed tier. When equipped with Choice Band or Choice Scarf, Sawk finds itself OHKOing or outpacing the majority of the tier. With access to two great abilities in Sturdy and Mold Breaker, as well as a great movepool, Sawk is able to get past several Pokemon that would otherwise trouble it. Middling bulk and Speed can hold Sawk back in a tier filled with faster threats, but Sawk's ability to tear through defensive teams is typically enough to warrant use on any team.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Close Combat is a powerful and reliable STAB move that deals huge amounts of damage even to Pokemon that resist it. Knock Off hits the Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon that look to switch in on Close Combat, and it also has the added benefit of removing the foe's item. Zen Headbutt gives Sawk a reliable way to hit common defensive Poison-types such as Weezing, Vileplume, and Garbodor. Stone Edge lets Sawk hit Flying-types such as Scyther, Mantine, and Xatu. If you value accuracy more than power, Ice Punch also lets Sawk hit Flying-types and can hit other common switch-ins such as Vileplume super effectively. Earthquake can be used to avoid making contact with Garbodor; this lets Sawk dodge any potential Rocky Helmet or Aftermath damage. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types such as Granbull and Togetic, though neither is common.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Close Combat is a reliable STAB move that hits extremely hard. Knock Off provides solid coverage with Close Combat and hits Ghost- and Psychic-types looking to switch in on Close Combat super effectively. Earthquake hits Poison-types such as Weezing for good damage and also hits levitating Pokemon such as Mesprit and Rotom if Sawk has Mold Breaker. Ice Punch lets Sawk hit Vileplume and Flying-types such as Rotom-S for super effective damage. Thanks to Sturdy, Reversal can allow Sawk to do a good amount of damage to anything if it survives with 1 HP.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks & Counters
===================

**Faster Pokemon**: Any Pokemon that can outspeed and OHKO Sawk can counter it. The only ways to prevent this are using a fast teammate or preserving Sawk's Sturdy. Common Pokemon that outspeed and OHKO Sawk include Scyther, Pyroar, Archeops, Swellow, and Jynx.

**Status Conditions**: Sawk really needs to make the most of its average Speed and monstrous Attack. Pokemon that carry Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp such as Musharna, Uxie, Mismagius, and Weezing can be a little more tricky to play around if they aren't in KO range or get a free switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)