Multi Gen Simple Questions, Simple Answers Mk. II (Read Before Making a Thread)

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Why is Mega Aerodactyl actually used now? What's its niche? Screwing over Ho-oh while being ridiculously fast?
It has a niche as a Ho-Oh check on full-out offense teams, a Stealth Rock setter that Mega Salamence can't go to town on and an anti-defogger, with Taunt coming off a ridiculous 145 base speed. It's cool that it can provide both Stealth Rock and Taunt along with its fantastic typing and usable Attack stat. I'm sure there are other reasons too, but Sweep, Dice or BKC would be better to elaborate on them, as they made the team that made it popular.

What's wrong with Thunderbolt on Xerneas? I see people saying to use Thunder because of the higher damage, but I can't think of a situation where the higher damage matters all that much -- its main target is Ho-oh (along with the side benefit of hitting Skarmory, I guess), and every Ho-oh set ever uses an EV spread specifically to always survive a +2 Thunder. That means that Thunderbolt has a 100% chance to 2HKO after a Geomancy and a 0% chance to OHKO, whereas Thunder has a 49% chance to 2HKO factoring in accuracy while still having a 0% chance to OHKO. What am I missing here?

It seems like the bigger utility of Thunder would be to guarantee the OHKO against offensive variants of Primal Kyogre (against which the accuracy is obviously not an issue) and avoid taking a 50%+ Origin Pulse to the deer face, but Thunder was used as a premier coverage move before P-Ogre existed.

Last edited:
What's wrong with Thunderbolt on Xerneas? I see people saying to use Thunder because of the higher damage, but I can't think of a situation where the higher damage matters all that much -- its main target is Ho-oh (along with the side benefit of hitting Skarmory, I guess), and every Ho-oh set ever uses an EV spread specifically to always survive a +2 Geomancy Thunder. That means that Thunderbolt has a 100% chance to 2HKO after a Geomancy and a 0% chance to OHKO, whereas Thunder has a 49% chance to 2HKO factoring in accuracy while still having a 0% chance to OHKO. What am I missing here?
pogre
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Thunderbolt vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Primal Kyogre: 288-340 (75 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Primal Kyogre: 352-416 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Sorry if this should be obvious, but would using Foul Play on M-Mawile be viable? IIRC, it works by doubling the opponent's attack.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
Sorry if this should be obvious, but would using Foul Play on M-Mawile be viable? IIRC, it works by doubling the opponent's attack.
I'm not really sure what it is you're asking, but no, Mega Mawile shouldn't be running Foul Play. It's hard enough to justify using it at all without slapping a move onto it that further compounds its already present 4MSS (Four Moveslot Syndrome).

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What's wrong with Thunderbolt on Xerneas? I see people saying to use Thunder because of the higher damage, but I can't think of a situation where the higher damage matters all that much -- its main target is Ho-oh (along with the side benefit of hitting Skarmory, I guess), and every Ho-oh set ever uses an EV spread specifically to always survive a +2 Thunder. That means that Thunderbolt has a 100% chance to 2HKO after a Geomancy and a 0% chance to OHKO, whereas Thunder has a 49% chance to 2HKO factoring in accuracy while still having a 0% chance to OHKO. What am I missing here?

It seems like the bigger utility of Thunder would be to guarantee the OHKO against offensive variants of Primal Kyogre (against which the accuracy is obviously not an issue) and avoid taking a 50%+ Origin Pulse to the deer face, but Thunder was used as a premier coverage move before P-Ogre existed.
The problem is a super effective thunderbolt is weaker than a neutral moonblast and by extension a neutral thunderbolt is weaker than a resisted moonblast. So unless the mon is a ho oh, you're better off just moon blasting w/e. Also elec moves are questionable since it allows XERN to be checked by pdon which pdon can't do normally which is bad.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
...Primal Groudon is a Xerneas check. I didn't think there could be any doubt to that, given that it is very easy to EV it to live any hit from a +2 Xerneas.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why is Jolly preferred over Adamant for the Extreme Killer Arceus?
It allows you to outspeed Gengar before Mega Evolution as well as speed-tie Arceus-Rock, Arceus-Ghost, and Mega Salamence to potentially KO them with your coverage moves before they can KO/burn you back. You generally still have enough power with a Life Orb regardless.

The primals' abilities stop other weather abilities from functioning. Does this include eachother?

Example for clarification:
If Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon are both sent out by opposing trainers on the fist turn of the battle, and Kyogre boasts the higher speed stat, which weather condition will be in the field by the end of the turn?

Adamant is as good as jolly depending on the needs. Most gengars are running protect anyway so jolly aint helping much in oras and if you have like refresh or otherways to deal with wow arceus forms(speed tie is not really good) you can run adamant like I did in every upl round I used ekiller in. Note that Jolly was way superior to adamant in xy but no longer in Oras. Also additional bulk on the adamant set can really be helpful.

Last edited:
It allows you to outspeed Gengar before Mega Evolution as well as speed-tie Arceus-Rock, Arceus-Ghost, and Mega Salamence to potentially KO them with your coverage moves before they can KO/burn you back. You generally still have enough power with a Life Orb regardless.
Adamant is as good as jolly depending on the needs. Most gengars are running protect anyway so jolly aint helping much in oras and if you have like refresh or otherways to deal with wow arceus forms(speed tie is not really good) you can run adamant like I did in every upl round I used ekiller in. Note that Jolly was way superior to adamant in xy but no longer in Oras. Also additional bulk on the adamant set can really be helpful.
Thanks for the replies! I'd like to get more opinions on this if possible. Anyone else have an input?

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
Out of curiosity, is there any unboosted attack that can OHKO Lugia?
I'm going to assume you mean Multiscale Lugia, although it doesn't affect the answer, which is, believe it or not, yes! The most powerful possible unaffected (by boosts, terrain, abilities, etc. etc) move to hit Lugia with is a Head Smash coming from Mold Breaker Rampardos (which, by the way, is an ABSURDLY powerful attack), and it does this:

252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Rampardos Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Lugia: 596-704 (143.2 - 169.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
^with Choice Band

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Rampardos Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Lugia: 398-470 (95.6 - 112.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
^without Choice Band

252+ Atk Choice Band Rampardos Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Multiscale Lugia: 298-352 (71.6 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
^with Choice Band, but without Mold Breaker

The only other moves capable of doing such are the OHKO moves (Guillotine, Sheer Cold, Fissure) which aren't legal in competitive play.

Antacool I need you to make a legit Trick Room team for this mon and if you do i will love you forever.

EDIT: I lied, Choice Band Zekrom is able to do it as well, but ONLY Choice Band, and with either Fusion Bolt or Bolt Strike.

Last edited:
Ah, should've factored in Mold Breaker. Considering that Multiscale lets it live Mega Glalie's Refrigerate Explosion. Thanks for the answer!

Out of curiosity, is there any unboosted attack that can OHKO Lugia?
Apart from what Krau said, there is also
252+ SpA Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem-W Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Lugia: 494-584 (118.7 - 140.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO and
252+ SpA Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem-W Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Lugia: 408-480 (98 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Why is regular Diancie listed higher in the viability rankings in Ubers than OU? Is it because Trick Room is more viable here?

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OU and Ubers viability rankings are not at all linked. Klefki for example excels in Ubers but as I understand it, isn't that great in OU. Regular Diancie is very niche and has 2 sets; support and Trick Room, and for whatever reason these sets aren't worthwhile to use in OU (to be fair they are barely worthwhile in Ubers).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)