Blastoise

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC: IronBullet93 / Bouffalant / dodmen
GP: MysticNova / P Squared

[SET]
name: Defensive Spinner
move 1: Scald
move 2: Rapid Spin
move 3: Roar
move 4: Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Torrent
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Scald is a consistent STAB attack that also has a burn chance. Rapid Spin allows Blastoise to remove entry hazards that wear down its teammates. Roar phazes the opposing Pokemon, ensuring Blastoise isn't setup bait. Toxic is used to weaken opposing walls, especially Jellicent, which is immune to Scald and Rapid Spin, as well as Pokemon that either resist or are immune to Scald, such as Mega Sceptile and Heliolisk, respectively. Ice Beam can be used to hit Dragon-types, especially Salamence, and Grass-types for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

Leftovers gives Blastoise passive recovery. Torrent is the ability of choice, as it is more consistent than Rain Dish. A Bold nature is used with the given EV spread to maximize Blastoise's physical bulk. This Blastoise set faces competition as a defensive Rapid Spin user from Tentacruel, which has a good secondary typing, a good Speed tier, and Toxic Spikes, but Blastoise is also viable, as it is able to take on the numerous physically offensive Fire-types in the tier thanks to its better physical bulk. Regular Blastoise is normally overshadowed by its Mega counterpart when it comes to spinning, but it is better defensively, as it is able to hold Leftovers, which gives it a form of recovery without using a moveslot as well as more staying power.

Usage Tips
========

Should the opposing player set entry hazards that are detrimental to the rest of your team, be sure to remove them with Rapid Spin. Blastoise should be sent in to wall physical attackers, especially Fire-types, such as Entei and Arcanine. Due to Blastoise's good natural bulk coupled with the EV investment, it can stop dangerous sweepers, such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr and Dragon Dance Salamence, from sweeping by phazing them via Roar, crippling them via either Scald burns or Toxic, or, in Salamence's case, OHKOing with Ice Beam.

Team Options
========

Specially defensive Pokemon with access to Wish and a clerical move, such as Blissey and Florges, make for good teammates, as they can heal Blastoise by Wish passing and removing status effects that Blastoise could receive throughout a match. Pokemon that appreciate the removal of entry hazards, such as Mega Aerodactyl and Entei, also make for good teammates. Dragon-types, such as Hydreigon and Dragalge, make for good teammates, as they resist Grass- and Electric-type moves, which hit Blastoise for super effective damage. In return, Blastoise resists the Ice-type moves that hit these Dragon-types for super effective damage. Grounded Poison-types, such as Dragalge and Nidoqueen, also make for good teammates, as they are able to remove Toxic Spikes, which poison Blastoise upon switching in, while Blastoise can remove other entry hazards.

Last edited:
Hey Kreme, sorry there was a bit of miscommunication. Blastoise already has its ORAS analysis here; what we were intending on doing was adding a defensive set for regular (Leftovers) Blastoise which is not on the current analysis. Probably my bad for not communicating this correctly to IB when we were talking about it earlier D: So yeah all you need to do is make the defensive set. (Bouffalant Ernesto IronBullet93 please correct me if I'm wrong)

Kreme

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Kreme, sorry there was a bit of miscommunication. Blastoise already has its ORAS analysis here; what we were intending on doing was adding a defensive set for regular (Leftovers) Blastoise which is not on the current analysis. Probably my bad for not communicating this correctly to IB when we were talking about it earlier D: So yeah all you need to do is make the defensive set. (Bouffalant Ernesto IronBullet93 please correct me if I'm wrong)
Actually I was aware of that, I just have to go to lunch now and am about to remove the C&C section, as well as OO in a bit.

Edit: Will remove Overview as well, just forgot tbh

Kreme

OK this is ready for QC, I'm unsure as to whether adding Haze, Ice Beam or even Foresight to the slashes or as a mention.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah what dodmen said, sorry if it wasn't clear!

• I think Ice Beam deserves a mention for its ability to hit Salamence so you aren't limited to just Roaring it out. Also hits stuff like Hydreigon and Rotom-C reasonably well.
  • I'm unsure about adding Foresight because Chandelure and Doublade are beaten by Scald anyway while Jellicent is beaten by Toxic. But it does offer guaranteed spin so it's still useful I guess. Thoughts on Foresight dodmen Bouffalant Sam?
  • Don't add Haze, its other moves offer much better utility.
  • Also emphasise in Usage Tips regarding the advantages that regular Blastoise has over its Mega, i.e. Lefties so better staying power and hit taking ability, doesn't take up a Mega slot etc.

Everything else looks good so QC 1/3 once above is implemented.

Kreme

Yeah what dodmen said, sorry if it wasn't clear!

• I think Ice Beam deserves a mention for its ability to hit Salamence so you aren't limited to just Roaring it out. Also hits stuff like Hydreigon and Rotom-C reasonably well.
  • I'm unsure about adding Foresight because Chandelure and Doublade are beaten by Scald anyway while Jellicent is beaten by Toxic. But it does offer guaranteed spin so it's still useful I guess. Thoughts on Foresight dodmen Bouffalant Sam?
  • Don't add Haze, its other moves offer much better utility.
  • Also emphasise in Usage Tips regarding the advantages that regular Blastoise has over its Mega, i.e. Lefties so better staying power and hit taking ability, doesn't take up a Mega slot etc.

Everything else looks good so QC 1/3 once above is implemented.
Question, regarding the advantages normal Toise has over Mega, isn't it better off in Set Details instead of Usage Tips?

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah sorry you're right, it's more appropriate in Set Details. Also, something you could mention in Usage Tips is that it has sufficient bulk to deal with certain threatening sweepers such as Feraligatr and DD Mence.

Kreme

Yeah sorry you're right, it's more appropriate in Set Details. Also, something you could mention in Usage Tips is that it has sufficient bulk to deal with certain threatening sweepers such as Feraligatr and DD Mence.
OK this and all previous changes should be implemented, be sure to tell me if anything looks wrong.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not QC, but I'll comment on Ironbullet's Foresight thing. I actually rather like Foresight on Blastoise. While, granted, its main targets are beaten by Scald and Toxic, respectively, (although I am somewhat sceptical with Jellicent due to Recover, Water Absorb and it commonly pairing with Heal Bell/Aromatherapy users) it means that they don't get a free switch on Rapid Spin, and it also means that you no longer face a 50:50 once Chandelure is on the field and it doesn't leave it as a sitting duck v.s. Jelly (cause you're forced out after you Toxic anyway) - with Rapid Spin (almost) always being the better option.

late but i dont think foresight deserves a mention, the amount of spinblockers there are in uu are pretty scarce and only one of them (jellicent) likes coming in on stoise.

Kreme you mention in usage tips how stoise is able to ohko mence with an ice beam but you don't give it even a mention in moves, so add that imo.

you should definitely have tspike absorbers in team options. yeah stoise clears them away but like with megastoise it rly hates them too lol, so mention shit like dragalge, bee, and the nidos (also mention how they all get worn down by other hazards and appreciates stoise clearing them away)

do that and this is 2/3

The only thing that could be added is to expand a bit on Toxic: it's how Blastoise deals with Scald resists/absorbers like Mega Sceptile, Heliolisk, etc and puts Jellicent on a timer (which could otherwise spinblock it). After that, this is 3/3

Kreme

The only thing that could be added is to expand a bit on Toxic: it's how Blastoise deals with Scald resists/absorbers like Mega Sceptile, Heliolisk, etc and puts Jellicent on a timer (which could otherwise spinblock it). After that, this is 3/3
OK this is implemented, but tell me if I fucked up anywhere. Ready for the GP squad.

Nice job on those commas :)

add

remove
comment

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Scald is a consistent STAB attack that also has a burn chance. Rapid Spin allows Blastoise to remove entry hazards that could wear down its teammates. Roar can phazes the opposing Pokemon, ensuring Blastoise isn't setup bait. Toxic is used to crippleweaken opposing walls, especially Jellicent(AC), which is immune to Scald and Rapid Spin, as well as Pokemon that either resist or are immune to Scald, such as Mega Sceptile and Heliolisk, respectively. Ice Beam, despite not getting a mention on the set itself, can be used to hit Dragon-types, especially Salamence, and Grass-types for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

Leftovers is used, as it gives Blastoise passive recovery (maybe a little more info?). Torrent is the chosen ability of choice, as it is more consistent than Rain Dish. A Bold nature is used with the given EV spread to maximize Blastoise's physical bulk. This Blastoise set faces competition as a defensive Rapid Spin user from Tentacruel, which has access to a good secondary typing, a good Speed tier, and Toxic Spikes, but Blastoise is also viable, as it is able to take on the numerous physically offensive Fire-types in the tier thanks to its better physical bulk. RegularNon-Mega Blastoise is normally overshadowed by its Mega counterpart when it comes to spinning, exceptbut it is better defensively. Regular Blastoise(AC), as it is able to hold Leftovers, givingwhich gives it a form of recovery without using a moveslot, as well as more staying power.

Usage Tips
========

Should the opposing player set entry hazards that are detrimental to the rest of your team, be sure to remove them with Rapid Spin. Blastoise should be sent in to wall the physical attackers it deals with, especially Fire-types, such as Entei and Arcanine. Due to Blastoise's good natural bulk coupled with the EV investment, it can stop dangerous sweepers, such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr and Dragon Dance Salamence, from sweeping by either phazing them out via Roar, crippling them via either Scald burns or Toxic, or, in Salamence's case, OHKOing with Ice Beam.

Team Options
========

Specially defensive Pokemon with access to Wish and a clerical move, such as Blissey and Florges, make for good teammates, as they can heal Blastoise by Wish passing and removeing status effects that Blastoise could gainreceive throughout a match. Pokemon that appreciate the removal of entry hazards, such as Mega Aerodactyl and Entei, also make for good teammates. Dragon-types, such as Hydreigon and Dragalge, make for good teammates, as they resist Grass- and Electric-type moves, which hit Blastoise for super effective damage, while. In return, Blastoise resists the Ice-type moves that hit these Dragon-types for super effective damage. Grounded Poison-types, such as Dragalge and Nidoqueen, also make for good teammates, as they are able to remove Toxic Spikes, which cripplehurt Blastoise(DC), upon switch-ing in, while Blastoise can remove other entry hazards that weaken them.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Kreme

Nice job on those commas :)
add
remove
comment

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Scald is a consistent STAB attack that also has a burn chance. Rapid Spin allows Blastoise to remove entry hazards that could wear down its teammates. Roar can phazes the opposing Pokemon, ensuring Blastoise isn't setup bait. Toxic is used to crippleweaken opposing walls, especially Jellicent(AC), which is immune to Scald and Rapid Spin, as well as Pokemon that either resist or are immune to Scald, such as Mega Sceptile and Heliolisk, respectively. Ice Beam, despite not getting a mention on the set itself, can be used to hit Dragon-types, especially Salamence, and Grass-types for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

Leftovers is used, as it gives Blastoise passive recovery (maybe a little more info?). Torrent is the chosen ability of choice, as it is more consistent than Rain Dish. A Bold nature is used with the given EV spread to maximize Blastoise's physical bulk. This Blastoise set faces competition as a defensive Rapid Spin user from Tentacruel, which has access to a good secondary typing, a good Speed tier, and Toxic Spikes, but Blastoise is also viable, as it is able to take on the numerous physically offensive Fire-types in the tier thanks to its better physical bulk. RegularNon-Mega Blastoise is normally overshadowed by its Mega counterpart when it comes to spinning, exceptbut it is better defensively. Regular Blastoise(AC), as it is able to hold Leftovers, givingwhich gives it a form of recovery without using a moveslot, as well as more staying power.

Usage Tips
========

Should the opposing player set entry hazards that are detrimental to the rest of your team, be sure to remove them with Rapid Spin. Blastoise should be sent in to wall the physical attackers it deals with, especially Fire-types, such as Entei and Arcanine. Due to Blastoise's good natural bulk coupled with the EV investment, it can stop dangerous sweepers, such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr and Dragon Dance Salamence, from sweeping by either phazing them out via Roar, crippling them via either Scald burns or Toxic, or, in Salamence's case, OHKOing with Ice Beam.

Team Options
========

Specially defensive Pokemon with access to Wish and a clerical move, such as Blissey and Florges, make for good teammates, as they can heal Blastoise by Wish passing and removeing status effects that Blastoise could gainreceive throughout a match. Pokemon that appreciate the removal of entry hazards, such as Mega Aerodactyl and Entei, also make for good teammates. Dragon-types, such as Hydreigon and Dragalge, make for good teammates, as they resist Grass- and Electric-type moves, which hit Blastoise for super effective damage, while. In return, Blastoise resists the Ice-type moves that hit these Dragon-types for super effective damage. Grounded Poison-types, such as Dragalge and Nidoqueen, also make for good teammates, as they are able to remove Toxic Spikes, which cripplehurt Blastoise(DC), upon switch-ing in, while Blastoise can remove other entry hazards that weaken them.

GP 1/2
Thanks about the commas. Anyhow if you don't mind answering my questions, that would be much appreciated. Why is "cripple" changed in both instances? I've used them before and they haven't been changed so I'd like to know why that is. Also, why is "Regular (insert Pokemon here)" wrong? That is all. Regarding Leftovers there isn't much else to say tbh, considering I did add a bit in the last sentence of the same paragraph about it. Thanks for the check.

The change on cripple is a little subjective, but I just feel like the word is often used to exaggerate how bad something is, and I felt that while a poisoned water-type is not the best situation, it can still fulfill its function most of the time, which is in contrast to something like sleep. As for the non-Mega edit, I just went with what was used in the spelling and grammar standards thread to be safe, but I have no problem with it now since it appears to be accepted terminology (that's what I get for being old). Hope that cleared things up!

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2
Personally I think "regular" sounds kinda funny. Anyways, thanks for actually paying attention to/questioning our checks, it's super annoying when people just blindly implement stuff...
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Scald is a consistent STAB attack that also has a burn chance. Rapid Spin allows Blastoise to remove entry hazards that wear down its teammates. Roar phazes the opposing Pokemon, ensuring Blastoise isn't setup bait. Toxic is used to weaken opposing walls, especially Jellicent, which is immune to Scald and Rapid Spin, as well as Pokemon that either resist or are immune to Scald, such as Mega Sceptile and Heliolisk, respectively. Ice Beam can be used to hit Dragon-types, especially Salamence, and Grass-types for super effective damage.

Set Details
========

Leftovers gives Blastoise passive recovery. Torrent is the ability of choice, as it is more consistent than Rain Dish. A Bold nature is used with the given EV spread to maximize Blastoise's physical bulk. This Blastoise set faces competition as a defensive Rapid Spin user from Tentacruel, which has a good secondary typing, a good Speed tier, and Toxic Spikes, but Blastoise is also viable, as it is able to take on the numerous physically offensive Fire-types in the tier thanks to its better physical bulk. Non-Mega Blastoise is normally overshadowed by its Mega counterpart when it comes to spinning, but it is better defensively, as it is able to hold Leftovers, which gives it a form of recovery without using a moveslot, (remove comma) as well as more staying power.

Usage Tips
========

Should the opposing player set entry hazards that are detrimental to the rest of your team, be sure to remove them with Rapid Spin. Blastoise should be sent in to wall physical attackers, especially Fire-types, such as Entei and Arcanine. Due to Blastoise's good natural bulk coupled with the EV investment, it can stop dangerous sweepers, such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr and Dragon Dance Salamence, from sweeping by phazing them out via Roar, crippling them via either Scald burns or Toxic, or, in Salamence's case, OHKOing with Ice Beam.

Team Options
========

Specially defensive Pokemon with access to Wish and a clerical move, such as Blissey and Florges, make for good teammates, as they can heal Blastoise by Wish passing and removing status effects that Blastoise could receive throughout a match. Pokemon that appreciate the removal of entry hazards, such as Mega Aerodactyl and Entei, also make for good teammates. Dragon-types, such as Hydreigon and Dragalge, make for good teammates, as they resist Grass- and Electric-type moves, which hit Blastoise for super effective damage. In return, Blastoise resists the Ice-type moves that hit these Dragon-types for super effective damage. Grounded Poison-types, such as Dragalge and Nidoqueen, also make for good teammates, as they are able to remove Toxic Spikes, which hurt poison (doesn't hurt to be more specific I guess) Blastoise upon switching in, while Blastoise can remove other entry hazards.

Last edited:

Kreme

2/2
Personally I think "regular" sounds kinda funny. Anyways, thanks for actually paying attention to/questioning our checks, it's super annoying when people just blindly implement stuff...
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Leftovers gives Blastoise passive recovery. Torrent is the ability of choice, as it is more consistent than Rain Dish. A Bold nature is used with the given EV spread to maximize Blastoise's physical bulk. This Blastoise set faces competition as a defensive Rapid Spin user from Tentacruel, which has a good secondary typing, a good Speed tier, and Toxic Spikes, but Blastoise is also viable, as it is able to take on the numerous physically offensive Fire-types in the tier thanks to its better physical bulk. Non-Mega Blastoise is normally overshadowed by its Mega counterpart when it comes to spinning, but it is better defensively, as it is able to hold Leftovers, which gives it a form of recovery without using a moveslot, (remove comma) as well as more staying power.

Usage Tips
========

Should the opposing player set entry hazards that are detrimental to the rest of your team, be sure to remove them with Rapid Spin. Blastoise should be sent in to wall physical attackers, especially Fire-types, such as Entei and Arcanine. Due to Blastoise's good natural bulk coupled with the EV investment, it can stop dangerous sweepers, such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr and Dragon Dance Salamence, from sweeping by phazing them out via Roar, crippling them via either Scald burns or Toxic, or, in Salamence's case, OHKOing with Ice Beam.

Team Options
========

Specially defensive Pokemon with access to Wish and a clerical move, such as Blissey and Florges, make for good teammates, as they can heal Blastoise by Wish passing and removing status effects that Blastoise could receive throughout a match. Pokemon that appreciate the removal of entry hazards, such as Mega Aerodactyl and Entei, also make for good teammates. Dragon-types, such as Hydreigon and Dragalge, make for good teammates, as they resist Grass- and Electric-type moves, which hit Blastoise for super effective damage. In return, Blastoise resists the Ice-type moves that hit these Dragon-types for super effective damage. Grounded Poison-types, such as Dragalge and Nidoqueen, also make for good teammates, as they are able to remove Toxic Spikes, which hurt poison (doesn't hurt to be more specific I guess) Blastoise upon switching in, while Blastoise can remove other entry hazards.
You're welcome, and thanks for checking my shit no matter how bad my writing is lol. Anyhow unless I fucked up somewhere this is ready for upload.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)