2014/15 Association Football (Soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
FB_IMG_1432485103661.jpg

Goodbye to the King, the greatest striker to ever play for us, wish him the best in his career, and in life. Want Cech to stay but his agent said he'd be leaving :(

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Just watched the highlights lol, they made Diouf look like fucking Suarez! Cool finish from Gerrard tho.

Hats off to Alan Pardew of Crystal Palace taking his team from the relegation zone mid-season to the top half of the table by the end. Also honorable mention of Borussia Dortmund making a similar comeback from the relegation zone all the way to the Europa League spots in the Bundesliga!

Pleased for Norwich, they were far better than boro today and deserved the win.

In other news, Ancellotti was sacked by real. A shame imo, I think he's a great coach and the stupid transfer policy makes it impossible to win the league. Still, Benitez at madrid sounds hilarious I guess.

I'll take 5th place with all the weaknesses shown this season. Of course some players like Chadli made a couple contributions but with such a leaky back 4, 5th is quite good.

Man, that's so disgusting that Real Madrid sacked Ancelotti. I think he deserved one more season to prove himself at the very least and while he didn't have the best performance against Real's top competitors in La Liga, I don't think sacking him was the solution. Carlo needed a chance to sign up defensive mids to bolster the midfield especially if Modric gets injured again.

Pretty much sums it up

2 points off the best team in the world and a champions league semi final, all without their most important midfielder for most of the season.

They will not find anyone better, Rafa won't make it past a year.

Last edited:
I dunno, I think there is some places you could criticize him in that he couldn't beat Atletico Madrid in these past two seasons and he won the CL thanks to an arguably miracle Ramos header in the 3rd minute of extra time. Atletico had Real's number for so many crucial matches including the away 4-0. Real also struggled a lot against Valencia and only got one point out of them if I remember correctly. They did split the two league games with Barcelona, but Barcelona won the game that swung La Liga more into their favor.

I think Carlo also overworked Modric and Kroos and the replacements (Illaramendi, Khedira, and Lucas Silva) were all not up to the standard to fill in the space that Alonso vacated or just weren't really given the time to be rotated into the squad. When Modric went out injured, Real's midfield really lost a lot of quality and were forced to use Ramos in the midfield.

He deserved at least one more season and a transfer window to find more midfield / defender depth, but that's Perez for ya.

Rumor has it that Beneitz is gonna be the replacement, but we'll see I guess.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Rip Fifa.

To elaborate for those unwilling to click the link, 14 Fifa executives have been arrested on suspicion of illegal activities that basically say they are corrupt. Also of note is that Sepp Blatter isn't one of the 14, but he hasn't been cleared of suspicion as of yet.

I really hope this means that Qatar is cancelled and the vote redone, because that was just farcical.

I never watched Liverpool or Chelsea during the days when Rafa coached them, but I heard that he has a very defensive playstyle and I don't know how that is gonna mesh with Real Madrid assuming the rumors are true that he is going there.

Real Madrid just hire whoever they want, I can't understand why they want Rafa I just don't know what kind of project Perez wants to run. It seems he just wants success for here and now and will throw money at it every time he can so at this time he has decided Rafa Benitez is to be the man. Honestly there was no need at all for Ancelotti to be sacked he has just as much chance for success as Rafa but an even greater track record. That being said Rafa does have the pedigree and he has won La Liga with Valencia miraculously even though Barca and Real were just as good back then.

Well, looks like Blatter got reelected. Time to see what comes out of the legal actions pursued by the United States as well as how the other federations are going to react. Apparently Spain and France voted for Blatter, RIP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)