Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

Raven

Esto es el fin.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Currently unable to to connect to the Smogon University server, but I can connect to other servers.

Keep getting the error in the pic below.

Any suggestions?
Have you tried the downloadable client? I couldn't connect to the Smogon server for the first 3 months of this year with any browser - it was something to do with my computer (many different connections tried) but the client worked. (N.B. My issue randomly resolved itself at some point in April, but it's always worth trying the client if this issue persists)

Crestfall and Raven : I recently changed my DNS Servers, so I'm thinking that might have something to do with it... and yet it does work with my Tablet.

Will try the client as well, thanks for the suggestion

Edit: Just tried the client and it worked as well.... guess I'll have to settle for that then.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Hey I'm looking for a team for super singles and super triples oras and have a lot of pokemon to chose from any suggestions? 3 I already have trained are
Protean Greninja-Ice Beam Dark Pulse Grass Knot Mat Block
Mega Kangaskhan Drain Punch Sucker Punch Double Edge Fake out
Lucario(physical)Bullet Punch Stone Edge Close Combat Swords Dance.
Others include-
PORYGON Z
LVL1 ARON
SLURPUFF
WALREIN
ROTOM
SWAMPERT
AZUMARILL
DUSKNOIR
TREVENANT
GLISCOR
SKARMORY
TALONFLAME
GARCHOMP
CHARIZARD
MANETRIC
DOUBLADE
CONKELDURR
SCIZOR
METAGROSS
FLYGON
SALAMENCE
HYDREIGON
KLEFKI
MAWILE
WHIMSICOTT
GYRADOS
ELEKTROSS
TYRANITAR
I will gladly post stats on thesd if you want just didn't feel like it... DOUBLADE I can evolve just need a dusk stone. I have a lot more than that those are just the ones I think would work the best.

What's up with the Smogon main strategy dex site? You know, like http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/insertpokemonhere/?

It hasn't worked properly for me for a long time, it's just a blank page with the sidebar no matter what I do. The site is fundamentally differently programmed now than it was in the BW days. More/fancier Javascript, I think. Granted, I'm using an outdated version of Firefox but it's all my setup can handle, and most other sites work fine.

Is there ANY way I can browse the dex in something like non-Javascript mode or text-only or something? It used to help to fire up Internet Explorer and do something like this...

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/crustle?_escaped_fragment_=#!

...but now that just redirects to the regular page and doesn't load anything.

(I'm somewhat familiar with html and Javascript so if at all possible, I'd love to speak to the person responsible for the site code.)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's up with the Smogon main strategy dex site? You know, like http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/insertpokemonhere/?

It hasn't worked properly for me for a long time, it's just a blank page with the sidebar no matter what I do. The site is fundamentally differently programmed now than it was in the BW days. More/fancier Javascript, I think. Granted, I'm using an outdated version of Firefox but it's all my setup can handle, and most other sites work fine.

Is there ANY way I can browse the dex in something like non-Javascript mode or text-only or something? It used to help to fire up Internet Explorer and do something like this...

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/crustle?_escaped_fragment_=#!

...but now that just redirects to the regular page and doesn't load anything.

(I'm somewhat familiar with html and Javascript so if at all possible, I'd love to speak to the person responsible for the site code.)
The front page explicitly says to not use any outdated browsers, so fixing that should be your first priority. The dex has undergone a recent update so there may still be some bugs to be worked out, if it still doesn't work, try searching in the Uploaded Analyses or Preliminary Pokedex subforums. I wouldn't recommend searching by URL since some of the threads have weird names like 'Aegislash [GP 2/2]' etc. You can instead use the search function at the top-right of the forum, making sure to check 'search titles only' to find what you need! (but get that browser updated!)

Hi, I just joined so plz don't hate...
So I was on PS! today, and someone said that they acquired my IP address and if I didn't forfeit they would reveal all my passwords to the Internet. I am a bit worried about this, as some might be, I'd imagine, but what I'm asking- is this person bluffing or not? Just need some help here, I woulda won the gen 1 random battle anyway but I was forced to forfeit obviously. Not gonna say the person's name, but they had the gen 4 painter male sprite.

Also how do I change my profile pic, and does my age show?

Last edited:

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Hi, I just joined so plz don't hate...
So I was on PS! today, and someone said that they acquired my IP address and if I didn't forfeit they would reveal all my passwords to the Internet. I am very scared about this, and also was this person bluffing or not? Just need some help here, I woulda won the gen 1 random battle anyway but I was forced to forfeit obviously. The persons name was andrewes or something like that, and they had the gen 4 painter male sprite.

Also how do I change my profile pic, and does my age show?
MOST likely bluffing to get a free win. You can report them to a moderator, and they will take appropriate action.

You can change your profile picture by clicking your profile page, and clicking your avatar to upload an image. Your age will show if you have that option selected under your privacy settings, but this can be changed at any time.

Last edited:
To QueBien,
Yo, thanks! Here's the problem though- I didn't save that battle in fear that my opponent had it saved as well as my stuff. So I don't remember his exact name. Other than that, thanks a million! :)

Last edited:
The front page explicitly says to not use any outdated browsers, so fixing that should be your first priority. The dex has undergone a recent update so there may still be some bugs to be worked out, if it still doesn't work, try searching in the Uploaded Analyses or Preliminary Pokedex subforums. I wouldn't recommend searching by URL since some of the threads have weird names like 'Aegislash [GP 2/2]' etc. You can instead use the search function at the top-right of the forum, making sure to check 'search titles only' to find what you need! (but get that browser updated!)
As I said, upgrading isn't a possibility. Plus I disable scripts, etc. for obvious reasons and really dislike it when sites are script-heavy. And forum-browsing is a slow, cumbersome, awful alternative to the dex.

I just really, really loved the look and feel of the dex near the end of the fifth generation. It's pretty much solely responsible for me being able to get into competitive battling. And now it's unavailable.

I guess I'll have to see if there're any other competitive communities with better-organized, more easily-accessible content :(

EDIT: Another question -- how do I disable avatars on the forum? In Preferences, I can disable signitures, but I don't see any way to disable avatars. Almost everyone has a lengthy, complex animated avatar, and it's really slowing me down.

As I said, upgrading isn't a possibility. Plus I disable scripts, etc. for obvious reasons and really dislike it when sites are script-heavy. And forum-browsing is a slow, cumbersome, awful alternative to the dex.

I just really, really loved the look and feel of the dex near the end of the fifth generation. It's pretty much solely responsible for me being able to get into competitive battling. And now it's unavailable.

I guess I'll have to see if there're any other competitive communities with better-organized, more easily-accessible content :(

EDIT: Another question -- how do I disable avatars on the forum? In Preferences, I can disable signitures, but I don't see any way to disable avatars. Almost everyone has a lengthy, complex animated avatar, and it's really slowing me down.
As far as I know, there is no way to turn off avatars. I could be wrong though.

Sorry if I'm wasting your time, but I have another question.
I don't want to sound very young, which I happen to NOT be, saying this, but is Smogon a "safe" community? Like, is it one of "those" social (even though this isn't meant to be social) sites? I guess I mean are there creepers, that's all.

Last edited:

QueBien

Sorry if I'm wasting your time, but I have another question.
I don't want to sound very young, which I happen to NOT be, saying this, but is Smogon a "safe" community? Like, is it one of "those" social (even though this isn't meant to be social) sites? I guess I mean are there creepers, that's all.
Yes, Smogon is a great community to be a part of. Unfortunately, there have been recent bans of "creeper" users, which hit the community pretty hard. Stay away from anybody you do not feel comfortable around, and speak out to staff if you feel you are being treated wrong. Otherwise, yes, Smogon is a safe, friendly, and fun community. :)

To QueBien (not sure what the reply button is lol),
DANG, that was a quick reply! Just checking with y'all cause I'm not really into Facebook and the like because I feel that they're... unsafe. So, thanks again! You got yourself a follower for all your help to this newbie! :)

QueBien

To QueBien (not sure what the reply button is lol),
DANG, that was a quick reply! Just checking with y'all cause I'm not really into Facebook and the like because I feel that they're... unsafe. So, thanks again! You got yourself a follower for all your help to this newbie! :)
The reply button quotes a post like how I just did. :) Yep, I'm not involved with Facebook either for the same reason; Smogon is a better community in my opinion.

Question about if possible Defog on Kalos Born Skarmory/Latias;

Hello, I know Defog is a HM Gen IV, so I wonder if is possible I buy pokebank and poketransport, and get my Skarmory and mainly Latias I catched 4 ivs hidden power fire, so get them to DP versions (Gen IV) with that poketransport, Is there some way? Even sending before to Gen V games and later to those Gen IV games where I can put this move.

Please, if someone know, and thanks in advance.

Yours truly,
Deivid

Question about if possible Defog on Kalos Born Skarmory/Latias;

Hello, I know Defog is a HM Gen IV, so I wonder if is possible I buy pokebank and poketransport, and get my Skarmory and mainly Latias I catched 4 ivs hidden power fire, so get them to DP versions (Gen IV) with that poketransport, Is there some way? Even sending before to Gen V games and later to those Gen IV games where I can put this move.

Please, if someone know, and thanks in advance.

Yours truly,
Deivid
Not entirely sure what you mean. If I understand it correctly, you want to have a Skarmory and/or Latias to learn Defog. You didn't mention in what game you caught them, though. There's no way you can transfer them back to older games, and then transfer them back to newer games again.
Defog can be taught in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. It's HM05.

Not entirely sure what you mean. If I understand it correctly, you want to have a Skarmory and/or Latias to learn Defog. You didn't mention in what game you caught them, though. There's no way you can transfer them back to older games, and then transfer them back to newer games again.
Defog can be taught in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. It's HM05.
Oh thanks, I caught them on XY/ORAS, so I understood, thanks for answer my question. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)