Project The Next Best Thing (New thread is newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
lol I have to be the worst person to ever run this project.

Grats to astroboy and his Magic Coat Audino.

Next weeks thing is none other than:

Flygon!

You have 3ish days probably, gonna go ahead and say that Outrage EQ U-turn and Fire Punch on Band or Scarf sets are standard, just try to be relatively creative and its fine.

earth plate+toxic flygon

Flygon @ Earth Plate
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Outrage

so this set bluffs the scarf set pretty well and hits relatively hard. toxic is mainly for hitting switch ins to flygon, like alomamola or toad, catching them off guard. this goes well with something like scarf emboar, as it really appreciates those walls crippled. they also have good type synergy!

e:wow flygon gets a lot of cool options and i just went with some lure

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Earthquake
- Dragon Rush
- Stone Edge

Pretty simple concept, this (I think) is Flygon's only way of boosting its attack. It also boosts Stone Edge's accuracy which is very nice. Flygon sets up on quite a few pokemon in the current meta, so it's not like there's no opportunities to set up a Hone Claws. Don't have much else to say.

Last edited:
Flygon @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

Flygon's resistances. bulk and reliable recovery allow it to check Pokemon like Emboar, Rhyperior and Cobalion and phaze boosting physical sweepers. Between Rocky Helmet and entry hazard support, the opponent will take a lot of damage. Toxic is for Alomomola, Jellicent and Togetic.

Flygon @ Life Orb
EVs: 12 Atk / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast / Iron Tail
- Defog / Roost

something i personally feel should be a standard (probably its third best set in this meta, behind defensive defog and adamant scarf, since i actually think cb is bad rn, but that's not to say it is bad itself), but i seem to never run into it, so w.e haha. this blasts squads who use momo, growth, zonger, tic, etc. as their staple flygon answer (varying on coverage) rather nicely, which can set up a lot for other cleaners, such as scrafty and durant. it's also probably the best option for an offensive defogger flygon, since physical variants get hampered by having no good dragon stab to play off of, b.c outrage is really bad for a pokemon that wants to play liberally. 12 atk evs ensure that it's still 2hkoing full spdef jellicent after sr, so it can't come in safely once you've revealed your set, otherwise this is super self-explanatory. use it pls :D

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Couple of things I want to point out before getting into my set. First of all, Flygon has access to Dragon Rush now, which makes it an option at least for a Hone Claws set Ranger Helmut. I love offensive Defog Flygon. Anyway, I'm going to take a spin on Flygon's Scarf set:

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Tailwind

So the first three moves are pretty basic standard fare for Scarf Flygon. That said, a lot of people choose Defog or Fire Punch as Scarfgon's final move. While both have their uses, a late-game Tailwind can be absolutely brutal. Double Speed for 3 turns is often all a slower attacker needs late-game to finish a match. That Life Orb Meloetta you thought you had a revenge killer for? It finishes you off instead. It's great that you saved a faster mon to pick off Hitmonlee. Too bad Hitmonlee now outspeeds everything. You get the idea. Any quick, but not fast, attacker is going to be doing loads more damage late-game after a Tailwind. Stuff like Lee, Melo, Doom, Gallade, Exploud, etc. can easily ravage teams late-game after Flygon uses a Tailwind. Adamant is the preferred nature for the power boost, but if your team is weak to Scarf Lee, you may want to opt for Jolly so you can knock it out before being met by a HJK to your face.

Flygon @ Salac Berry
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Hone Claws
- Dragon Rush
- Earthquake

Similar to Ranger Helmut's set, this one capitalizes on Flygon's ability to force switches to set up Substitutes and boost with Hone Claws, both improving your damage and accuracy, making Dragon Rush a superior option over Dragon Claw. On top of that, Salac Berry provides a nice boost to your speed when you get on low health from using Substitute. 216 Speed outspeeds max speed base 95s prior to Salac Berry, and outspeeds Scarf Houndoom and Adamant Scarf Durant with a Salac boost.

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Roost
- Dragon Claw/Earthquake

Inspired by Sub-Wisp Moltres, this set is Sub-Toxic Flygon. This set is basically to give a more defensive backbone to some certain teams, and lure mons such as Alomomola, Togetic, and Tangrowth in so that Toxic can cripple and you can set up a sub vs the threats. Yes, there are some cons to this set (such as not being able to run both stabs), but it does have a surprise factor that can take down cetain walls by stalling. The EV spread is a defensive one for a variety of threats. The speed is enough to outrun Jolly none scarfed Emboar and Adamant Tyrantrum.

tehy

Banned deucer.
i remember when I was browsing smogon forums... suddenly I see next best thing thread is newest post in RU... "whatever"... then i see the post is by 49 and i get hype

49 because that looks like 'offensive defogger flygon' which everyone has been wanting but no one seems to know how to make. helmut's is also cool and astro made a nice super-lure, for honorable mentions (while i'm here, maybe Stone Edge should be Iron Tail?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)