Media DRAGON BALL SUPER

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also I lol'd super hard at the part where Freeza says his Dad warned him about Majin Buu-- I mean, the premise of the Buu arch was that the events of Babidi vs the Kai's happened so long ago it might as well be the beginning of the Universe. It's absolutely laughable to think Frieza's Dad would know about a beast that existed before their species probably even evolved. Lolz
Whatever your take on the story, Battle of Gods made it pretty clear that both Frieza and Bills are aware of each others' existence, considering Bills anticipated Frieza might be a successor. I imagine the God of Destruction takes interest in planet-busting galactic realty outfits. The notion the Colds had some dealings or knowledge of either Bibidi or the Kais is not unimaginable. Good Intel is a form of power.

Frieza didn't even have a sparring partner to train with. This is a guy who spent most of the time curbstomping planets in his base form. He was basically in a tier of his own until SSJ Goku happened - and while I'm sure there were other powerful warriors in the universe, why would Cold Galactic Realty try and go after the strongest planet champions instead of the weakest?

Frieza didn't even have a sparring partner to train with.
This makes one wonder how Frieza was able to get stronger in just 4 months and mirrors how much garbage Revival of F is.

Trying to revive Dragon Ball is such a waste of resources. After all this garbage like Dragon Ball Minus, Battle of Gods, Episode of Bardock and Yo Son Goku, I highly doubt that Dragon Ball Super will be any good.
I already have seen pretty much 80 % of Revival of F as well and I can't understand how people can still get hyped about this, especially being happy that Vegeta had his shining moment and "redeem" himself against Frieza, considering he was punching a weakened Frieza who still defeats him.

I will just stay here and continue reading Dragon Ball Multiverse instead. The comedy and action in that fan manga actually does the series justice. It feels ironic to say that, considering that canony Dragon Ball feels more of a shitty fanfiction now the more stuff is added to that 10 years of "peace" between the Buu Saga and meeting of Uub.

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I watched some episodes of Dragon Ball Z Kai the other day in a nostalgia moment, and I forgot how absolutely epic Cell was at trash talking. I hope Toriyama hasn't lost that, because hands down that was some great writing - and if the teaser is any indication rather than just nostalgia, Cell will be back somehow.

Deck Knight

As in "please let me eat this android first to give you a better fight"?
That was Semi-perfect Cell, who had only semi-perfected the trash talking. This is Perfect Cell, who ripped Vegeta and Trunks to shreds verbally after wiping the floor with them physically.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
So this dropped in today. Very little footage, but fans are tearing it apart already

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I watched some episodes of Dragon Ball Z Kai the other day in a nostalgia moment, and I forgot how absolutely epic Cell was at trash talking. I hope Toriyama hasn't lost that, because hands down that was some great writing - and if the teaser is any indication rather than just nostalgia, Cell will be back somehow.
Eh... Cell is good at trash talking in English dub... the Japanese script is just so BORING I can't really enjoy it having grown up on the dub...

For a great example of how much more epic the English dub script is >>> Toriyama's script,

For better or worse, for me DBZ is just not DBZ without Bruce Falkoner music and dramatic re-writing of the original dialogue (also known as having music and actual dialogue instead of wind noises).

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh

Just watched the first ep. Was kinda assuming this would be taking place post battle of the gods.

I'm really curious about the time placement for this series. From what it looks like, this is pre BoG but it looks like they're building up to a meeting between beerus and goku, even though they had never heard of each other until the movie. It could mean that they plan on filling the gaps between the movies and then eventually go past the movies, only problem is that according to bulma in the original dbz, they all hadn't seen each other for 5 years during the 10 year break, which means times a bit strained.

Deck Knight

That seems to be the case Flamer. At this point the Manga and Anime for Super appear to be aligned chapter for chapter, so we'll see how this plays out going forward. If it keeps up this trend, it's actually a great thing as we see what's going on in Goku's head in the field in the Manga, while the Anime fleshes out other characters like Trunks and Goten.

I know you're probably not *supposed* to enjoy them as an extension of the same universe (they are closer to parallel ones), but I do think putting them together adds a little more depth.

SO. GOOD. I was very satisfied watching Super. Honestly, at this point I just live the characters so much that I don't care about the plot or the actual fighting--I just enjoy day to day interactions and seeing them let loose. It's why I enjoyed Battle of the Gods so much. DBZ Super is simply a treat, and I'm going to enjoy it, regardless of ass pulls if there are any.

That aside, does anyone have a link to a subbed stream (Japanese or Spanish) of Resurrection of F or have a download of it they would like to throw my way? I need it.

afaik the first two arcs/sagas of Super will basically retcon the two movies (Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F) by expanding them into entire sagas.

that's why we saw Beerus waking up, visiting earth, then sleeping during the movie, but clearly on a path of conquest in the 1st episode of Super (which, based on the time frame of the movie, probably can't have happened in any interval). the same general storyline will happen, but expanded on quite a bit.

Deck Knight

Second episode was mostly filler, but it's always cool to watch Vegeta being irritated, so, net plus.

Also they have way, way upped the amount of colors/effects they put into planet booms. It's like Beerus makes them go Supernova even though that shouldn't happen.

the only reason why i haven't dropped this show yet is because it's fucking dragon ball. the show has dropped the ball in so many ways. when this got announced one of the biggest sources of hype was "dragon ball stories with modern-day animation!!!" but it looks like a goddamn 2004 newgrounds flash

Man...I hope something interesting happens to DBS soon...atm it's basically Battle of Gods but with garbage animation...They need better animation, man.

To say I was disappointed with what toei delivered this episode with the animation is understatement of the year. The fight between beerus and goku was so shit im surpised they were actually willing to air it. Dragon ball as a franchise is so popular in both japan and the rest of the world so surely they would have dedicated a respectable budget to their flagship anime but this episode looks like this week was "take your child who sucks at drawing to work day". Heck, the fight with goten and trunks in episode 1 was more action packed than this. DBZ wasnt exactly known for having amazing animation but this shit makes 1990s DBZ look like a fucking top quality movie. I seriously hope they step up their game after the outrage this caused but I really doubt it.

ok chef vegeta sort of makes up for how bad episode 5 was

still optimistic that the animation will improve slightly with the more serious fight scenes later on that we haven't already seen in BotG / RoF

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
I've only watched as far as episode 3 but is it just me, or does Dragon Ball Super seem like a retelling or a reboot of Battle Of Gods rather than what happened following the events that unfolded in the movie? I don't get it, wasn't Battle Of Gods supposed to be canon? Then what's this rehashed crap about Beerus waking up and talking about the Super Saiyan God that appeared in his dreams?

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can only imagine there were some issues during production for the fight scene in episode 5 because everything since then has been very well made. I'm looking forward to the BotG stuff ending soon because, although I respect why they had to put it in, it's boring seeing 12-13 episodes of shit I've seen before.

Also, was Revival of F canon stuff that's important to the story? I'll just skip watching the movie if it's going to be a story arc in Super.

Deck Knight

I've only watched as far as episode 3 but is it just me, or does Dragon Ball Super seem like a retelling or a reboot of Battle Of Gods rather than what happened following the events that unfolded in the movie? I don't get it, wasn't Battle Of Gods supposed to be canon? Then what's this rehashed crap about Beerus waking up and talking about the Super Saiyan God that appeared in his dreams?
Welcome to Multi-Verse Theory, where the *other* Battle of Gods could be a slightly altered universe from this one and therefore both fights can be canon. This allows the series to introduce more dimension breakers. Majin Buu had that ability through magic, I imagine there will be some other mechanism for alternate-universe capabilities in this series.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)