Iron Chef: Smogon UU Edition - Teambuilding Competition, R10 - Cantata! (See p#595)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about the fairly standald/terrible options in uu for trapping since goth is banned and I needed to use more than dugtrio and I remembered this super memey set that I think Slate (this was a good name change keep it) or Volbeatdown was using ages ago in mean look curse bp umbreon to white herb crobat.
Yeah VBD came up with that and I was the one who overdosed on salt when I faced it on ladder, lol.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok time for the best judge's my judging...

ORIGINALITY: 4 points. Nice use of LO Espeon (RIP Zam) and unique trapper in Lapras.

USE OF THE THEME: 3 points. I feel you just put these mons on the team and built a standard team rather then building around them and using their trapping for setup opportunities bar Slurpuff, lol.

EFFECTIVENESS: 6 points. While the team looks standard, you lost your Iron Chef battle, which I blame on the ineffectiveness of the trappers.

TOTAL: 13 / 20

ORIGINALITY: 5 points. Fire Spin RK9 and lol Murkrow. Also +1 for Infestation Cofagrigus.

USE OF THE THEME: 4 points. I really like your description for the team and how the team itself relies on the trappers to do its job.

EFFECTIVENESS: 6 points. Sadly you lost your Iron Chef battle, but I see the potential of this team and I like it, lol.

TOTAL: 15 / 20

ORIGINALITY: 5 points. Mega Banette, a mega rarely seen in UU, being used is a nice touch. Also +1 for Yu-Gi-Oh reference.

USE OF THE THEME: 4 points. This team seems to center around trapping although it seems more centered around the Umbreon + Hitmonlee core.

EFFECTIVENESS: 5 points. Sadly this team wasn't as effective in practice as it looks on paper and that is reflected in the score.

TOTAL: 14 / 20

ORIGINALITY: 4 points. Nice use of Trapper Entei and yes I can attest to the stupidity of that team lol.

USE OF THE THEME: 4 points. I love the synergy of the trappers as well as how the team benefits from what the trappers do.

EFFECTIVENESS: 4 points. Sadly the team isn't really effective on paper or in practice as reflected in your Iron Chef battle.

TOTAL: 12 / 20

ORIGINALITY: 5 points. Trapper Snorlax and Dusclops. A shit ton of originality imo.

USE OF THE THEME: 4 points. I like how the team was centered around the trappers while also looking standard af. You sly dog, you!

EFFECTIVENESS: 8 points. You won against one of the better Iron Chefs so congrats and I like the fact that you could fulfill the restrictions of the competition while also being able to best a "good" UU team.

TOTAL: 17 / 20

ORIGINALITY: 3 points. Original Umbreon set but Dugtrio doing what it does best.

USE OF THE THEME: 4 points. Seems like the team relies on the trappers to weaken the opposing team for them to pull off a sweep.

EFFECTIVENESS: 5 points. Sadly the team lost its battle and as such is less effective in practice than what it looks like on paper.

TOTAL: 12 / 20

ORIGINALITY: 4 points. Nice use of Magneton but Dugtrio is too easy of a pick, lol. Also nice lures btw.

USE OF THE THEME: 5 points. The team relies on Magnets and Duggy to beat up on specific checks that the rest of the team has.

EFFECTIVENESS: 5 points. The team may look like it is ready to lure every threat to each specific Pokemon, but sadly it wasn't that effective in practice and as such results in the low score.

TOTAL: 14 / 20

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
LilOuOn has a huge lead thus far! I'll have my judging finished tomorrow morning, which might shake things up a bit, but as the only competitor to win their Iron Chef battle that's going to be hard to beat.

Judging ends tomorrow! Judges, get your scores in if you want to have a say in next round's Iron Chef!

• ORIGINALITY (0-5 POINTS): 3.5 Pretty cool team with lapras trapper and offensive espeon. Unfortunately the rest is pretty original with duggy slurpuff combo and maggron vulture.
  • USE OF THE THEME (0-5 POINTS): 3.5 Duggy helps out slurpuff but thats it. Lapras is just there.
  • EFFECTIVENESS (0-10 POINTS): 4 Mamoswine and ferg thrash this team. Fighting types also do very well against it. Entei destroys but you can trap it with dugg if it kills something. The composition of the team does not work well. You are weak to too many threats.
Overall: 11

• ORIGINALITY (0-5 POINTS): 4 Really like your team! Perish song murkrow was actually pretty popular low ladder last gen. Like the innovation. The arcblissforry combo is too common though.
  • USE OF THE THEME (0-5 POINTS): 5 The stally nature of the team and the pokes you chose to be your trappers make a nice widdle core. The hazards are greaat for switch which tend to happen when they are dying of toxic damage or be perish songed! Great use of theme!
  • EFFECTIVENESS (0-10 POINTS): 7.5 Snorlax can be a problem. It cant do anything to cofag but cofag gets stalled out with rest turns. Taunt hydra can prevent recovery but its not a sure thing. Rocks plus fire type hurt really bad as shown on replay. Pretty well constructed and I believe its an effective team.
Overall: 16.5

• ORIGINALITY (0-5 POINTS): 4.5 Mega Ban is cool af! Cursebreon and Hitmonlee!
  • USE OF THE THEME (0-5 POINTS): 3 I dont see a situation where Banette* and infestation work together. Mean look umbreon works pretty well with your team.
  • EFFECTIVENESS (0-10 POINTS) 5 Although the concept is cool and the mega is... cool, I cant see this being effective outside the situational hitbreon combo.
Overall: 12.5

• ORIGINALITY (0-5 POINTS): 4.5 ★Kingmidas:GG, rip the retarded entei! lol and Agility Ampharos.
  • USE OF THE THEME (0-5 POINTS): 2 you have three other pokes for steel and rocks types. I dont know why you would need dug. The entei set is random lol.
  • EFFECTIVENESS (0-10 POINTS) 6 Other than the 3rd wheel duggy the team composition looks great. Unfort the entei is crappy lol
Overall: 12.5

• ORIGINALITY (0-5 POINTS): 4 Innovation with mega blast is super kewl. Whirlpool snorlax! Dusclops blocks snorlax and wins with curse.
  • USE OF THE THEME (0-5 POINTS): 5 Both mons work with the traps in multiple scenarios. Suicune likes getting the burn before it switches which allows snorlax to set up on it. Dusclops mean look curse makes for a lot of damage on a bulky mon. You team favors both uses. Excellent work!
  • EFFECTIVENESS (0-10 POINTS) 9 No one mons breaks this and you have three mons that set up and sweep. Its really hard to get past this. Toxic spikes put alot of pressure on your team though because your rapid spinner is blast.
Overall: 18

• ORIGINALITY (0-5 POINTS): 3 If I see another duggy slurpuff combo Im going to puke! Like the umbron and crobat combo though. Instead of cross poison I would have curse so its not totally useless on its own.
  • USE OF THE THEME (0-5 POINTS): 3.5 Dugpuff... cursebreon works well though passing it off to crobat is meh
  • EFFECTIVENESS (0-10 POINTS) 5 Mamo weak, entei weak, and roar calm minf suicune weak. Whoops forgot blastoise. The composition isnt too bad but late game cleaners have a field day against your team.
Overall: 11.5

• ORIGINALITY (0-5 POINTS): 4 The innovation is real! Definitely my favorite team. Sludge wave Duggy! Fireblast maero! set up bulk mence!
  • USE OF THE THEME (0-5 POINTS): 5 I see what you are trying to do! Kill all steel types to win! Sludge wave on duggy to kill whimi for mence sweep. HP grass because swampert destroys you. Fire blast for forry. Trappers and move selections make a great surprise core.
  • EFFECTIVENESS (0-10 POINTS) 8 The concept of the team is great! You had terrible match ups with your chefs coupled with a few dumb plays. Maggron hurts your team a lot! Very nice concept and I might try using sludge wave duggy for now on! Loving it!
Overall: 17

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yellow Skarmory: 11.5
  • Originality: 3.5. Lapras is pretty much never seen, and I'm really liking the LO Zam Espeon. While those were the only two sets that were particularly new, the team construction in general wasn't what I expected. Honestly, in any other round this would have scored a 4, but this round had a high bar set for originality.
  • Use of Theme: 3. Memento trapping into Slurpuff is a time honored tactic. That said... I'm less clear on Lapras' role here. Perish Trapping is neat, but what exactly are you trying to trap, and how does it help your team? Cool idea, but all in all I'll call it a wash.
  • Effectiveness: 5. Duggy + Puff can honestly win games on their lonesome, especially when backed with some hazard support. That said, I'm having trouble envisioning this team doing well against most standard balance and stall teams.
Patrick1088: 16
  • Originality: 4.5. Toxic/Fire Spin Arcanine, Infestation Cofagrigus and Murkrow? Very cool. The rest of your team was fairly standard, but that was a lot of fun.
  • Use of Theme: 4.5. Trapping is obviously essential to your entire strategy, so much so that you found yourself using even more trappers than were required. I remain a bit skeptical about the idea of both trapping and trying to force switches to rack up hazards damage, since they can be at odds with each other, but in practice it works out alright. You don't quite get full marks because of that, though.
  • Effectiveness: 7. As your replay showed, you have trouble maintaining pressure on the opponent if you can't keep hazards on the field. As your main spinblocker loses to the best offensive spinner in the tier, and you have no way of blocking or discouraging Defog beyond Taunt Hydreigon, this can be easier said than done. That said, this is a solid team.
Euphonos: 13
  • Originality: 4. Curse Umbreon into a White Herb sweeper was popular this round, and has honestly been gaining in popularity ever since it was posted alongside Unburden Hitmonlee in the SPL set dump thread. Still, it's a cool tactic, and used well here. Infestation Banette was also very cool.
  • Use of Theme: 4. Trapping is definitely a big part of your team, as it's essential in order to reliably get off a CurseLee sweep. Your trapping MBanette also really stood out here.
  • Effectiveness: 5. This is a cool team overall, but the biggest problem I see is that it has no real way of pressuring opponents outside of Hitmonlee. If you can get off a Lee sweep then great - but if your opponent can play around you, it just doesn't work. Defensively you've got a solid core that covers most bases, but the inability to carry things home keeps you from scoring higher here.
kingmidas: 13
  • Originality: 3. Fire Spin Power Herb Solar Beam Entei. Dang, that's a mouthful, and a cool little trap. Agility Ampharos is also rarely seen these days, and can be a potent threat. Beyond that... well, everything else is fairly straightforward (especially for this round, which was above average in originality). Let's call it a 3.
  • Use of Theme: 3.5. With Entei to lure and break down bulky waters in order to give SubDD Gatr a chance to sweep later, trapping is definitely a big part of what you do. I'd score higher if it worked better, though... you lose a lot of punch with Power Herb Entei, and Solar Beam barely does 50% to Suicune. Dugtrio on the other hand seems kind of tacked on. That said, I think that VoltTurn + trapping is especially deadly, so you get a slight boost here.
  • Effectiveness: 6.5. Honestly, this is a fun little VoltTurn team with a pair of solid win conditions in SubDD Gatr and Agility MAmph. I think there's potential here... but unfortunately that potential probably requires you to scrap that Entei set. (Maybe go with Adamant @Liechi, Sacred Fire/Espeed/Fire Spin/Natural Gift?)
LilOuOn: 16.5
  • Originality: 4. That Whirlpool CurseLax set is cool af, not going to lie. Dusclops seems like a neat option as well, as it has the bulk to successfully Curse against a decent number of threats. You also have some really neat options in bulky DDmence and RestTalk Mega-Blaster.
  • Use of Theme: 4. You definitely get some solid points for the Whirlpool CurseLax. The Mean Look Dusclops is neat as well. I can't say you redefined what it means to be a team based around trapping, but trapping was a major part of your team, and you were able to trap multiple times throughout the match.
  • Effectiveness: 8.5. Even despite your errors in teambuilding (wrong item on Mence, dual-cleric Florges), you were still able to maintain control of your battle and emerge victorious - and in fact, you were the only Iron Chef to do so this round. You've got a very nice combination of defensive behemoths with two fat, inexorable set-up mons to bring things home for you.
newfren: 13.5
  • Originality: 3.5. We see Curse BP Umbreon rear its head again, this time with the fun pass recipient of White Herb Crobat with Acrobatics. While beyond that the team is fairly standard, that's enough of a neat variation to see a boost.
  • Use of Theme: 4. Dugtrio, as we've seen before, is a great partner for Slurpuff, and can potentially open things up for other sweepers as well. Your Cursepass Umby is also a big part of your team as well, with two solid recipients in Crobat and Swampert.
  • Effectiveness: 6. Duggy + Puff can honestly win games on their lonesome, especially when backed with some hazard support. You also have a couple of nice fallback options for sweeping. That said, a lot of common mons dismantle your team and prevent you from effectively setting up, as we saw in your replay.
Kreme: 15.5
  • Originality: 3. On the one hand, this is the closest thing to a standard offensive team we've got this round. On the other, you have some really cool alternative movesets that set you apart - Sludge Wave Dugtrio and Fire Blast M-Aero in particular stand out, and you know I love that Salamence set.
  • Use of Theme: 4.5. OK, Duggy and Puff are well known by now, and Puff + Magneton is a cool combo as well, as MAggron and Forry are two major threats preventing Slurpuff from sweeping. But you go beyond that as well, with your cool Sludge Wave Dugtrio allowing you to trap fairies that otherwise prevent bulky DDmence from sweeping. I'm even giving a small boost here for the Fire Blast M-Aero, because while it is not strictly a trap by the rules of this contest, it does serve as an effective way to bait in and chip down Steel types.
  • Effectiveness: 8. Duggy + Magneton + Puff can honestly win games on their lonesome, especially when backed with some hazard support. You also have a couple of cool lures and ways of taking down fairies to build to a Salamence sweep. All in all this looks like a solid and fun team. My one piece of advice would be to drop Sashlead Azelf for LO 3 attacks + rocks Azelf, as it gives you a better matchup against offensive teams that will try to pressure you in the early game, and can do some nice work against balanced teams in the midgame as well. Despite the fact that you lost both your IC battles, this was a really cool team.
~~~~~~
And that's a wrap! The final standings are as follows:

1. LilOuOn: 17.17 +2 = 19.17
  2. Patrick1088: 15.83 -1 = 14.83
  3. Kreme: 15.5 -2 = 13.5
  4. kingmidas: 12.5 -1 = 11.5
  5. newfren: 12.33 -1 = 11.33
  6. Yellow Skarmory: 11.83 -1 = 10.83
  7. Euphonos: 13.17 -3 = 10.17
That means our winner this round, by a huge margin, is LilOuOn ! Congratulations! I'll try to put together a trophy for you tomorrow, LilOuOn.

Thanks to our seven excellent competitors and to NV and DaSpoofy for judging once again!

And so, another week, another round of Iron Chef. For our fourth round, you'd better bring some sunblock!

This round's theme is...

Put on some Bob Marley, because the
Sun is Shining!

For round 4 on Iron Chef, our esteemed chefs are headed to the beach! That's right, this round's theme is Sunny Day!

In order for your dish to qualify this round, you must have the move Sunny Day on your team.

Will this scorching round prove too much for our Iron Chefs, or will the Iron Chefs emerge victorious? Tune in for a bright and shining round of Iron Chef!

You have until Saturday, June 6 at 11:59 PM GMT to complete your dishes and challenge an Iron Chef. Allez cuisine!

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
So excited for this week. Inb4 an insurge or Tini + Sun (jk lol) and Mega Houndoom for CTeaming before Mega and for power afterwards.

Reactions: rs

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
That Blaze Emboar though...

(Also holy mother of god, Sunflora seriously 2HKOs Snorlax in sun?!)

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
take 2 slow rantrum stopped sunflora from claiming a few souls :[
That wasn't slow... You were under Trick Room. Your Whimsi outsped with U-turn under TR, so Flora tanked the hit. Then Flora outsped under TR and KO'd Tyrantrum.

So basically, the moral of the story is: run Speed on your TR Whimsis so you get the "slow" U-turn to pivot safely to your sweeper after TR is set.

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
That wasn't slow... You were under Trick Room. Your Whimsi outsped with U-turn under TR, so Flora tanked the hit. Then Flora outsped under TR and KO'd Tyrantrum.

So basically, the moral of the story is: run Speed on your TR Whimsis so you get the "slow" U-turn to pivot safely to your sweeper after TR is set.
im fucking stupid lmao ty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)