Project PU: Buried Treasure Project [Week 15: Munchlax, Dragonair, Cherrim]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt

Here's my take on Sliggoo. Basically it's a special tank set that can easily handle most special attackers with relative ease with hardly any investment needed. Dragon Pulse is for a reliable STAB attack, with Sludge Wave hitting Fairy-types such as Clefairy and Togetic that are immune to Dragon Pulse, Hidden Power Fighting is for Steel-types such as Probopass and Pawniard that resist Dragon Pulse and is immune to Sludge Wave, with the last move is more of a coverage option. Ice Beam guarentees OHKO on Jumpluff and Torterra which Sludge Wave doesn't do, while Thunderbolt hits Pelipper and Poliwrath harder than Dragon Pulse does. Rest and Sleep Talk can turn Sliggoo into a decent special tank, but is better done by fellow Dragon Zweilous.

Magcargo @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD or 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Bold / Calm Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Toxic
- Lava Plume

If it weren't for the fact that Magcargo was weak to Stealth Rock and had two 4x weaknesses to Water and Ground, Magcargo would be a cool mon. Stealth Rock is great for any team backed with the ability to recover any lost health in tanking attacks. Toxic is a great move in general and with Magcargo below average Special Attack, it needs to rely on it to wear down foes. Lava Plume is Magcargo's STAB attack and the chance to burn is always nice while nailing Steel-types that are immune to Toxic. A physical EV spread allows Magcargo to take Flying-types such as Jumpluff and Dodrio with relative ease while a specially defensive spread allows it to take special hits better. Examples include avoiding being 2HKOd by LO Zebstrika Thunderbolt and avoiding being OHKOd by LO Raichu Focus Blast.

Magcargo @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Basically a slightly faster Torkoal with more weaknesses and even harder to set up because of them. Shell Smash turns Magcargo into a decent sweeper with Fire Blast for STAB, Earth Power for other Fire-types such as Ninetales and Simisear, and Hidden Power Electric for Water-types such as Poliwrath and Pelipper. Modest nature with maximum Speed investment lets Magcargo hit 318 Speed after a Shell Smash, outspeeding Jolly Leafeon and Sawsbuck by 1 point and everything below that, while Timid Magcargo hits 348 Speed, just missing out on base 110s such as Jumpluff and Raichu, but outspeeding Pokemon such as Quick Feet Ursaring (343) and everything below that.

Dunsparce @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Roost
- Body Slam / Glare
- Rock Slide / Headbutt

If you wanna be that guy and paraflinch your opponent to death or make them rage, the Dunsparce is the mon for you. No real sugarcoating this set as it is pretty straightforward. Coil boosts Dunsparce Attack, Defense, and Accuracy while Roost recovers any lost health for Dunsparce. Body Slam is for STAB and thanks to Serene Grace has a 60% chance to paralyze the opponent, but if you want surefire paralysis, then Glare is an option as well. Rock Slide gets a 60% chance to flinch the opponent tho Headbutt does the same thing on top of getting STAB, at the expense of being walled by Ghost-Types.

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Outrage
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Here's another interesting take on Sliggoo (I think this was brought up by TONE114 but I'm not sure). With Sliggoo's already insane special bulk, it eaily sets up Curses on Pokemon such as Zebstrika, Probopass, Torkoal, Pelipper, you name it. Especially late game whenever all fairies are eliminated, Sliggoo can come in and set up + RestTalk and basically can seldom be stopped.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Sliggoo is actually pretty good. I'm not a fan of the defensive Rest-talk variants so much as they can be easily switched in and defeated by bulky tanks like Torterra, however the offensive variant is very troubling for offensive teams.
TONE114 has a very good set here; however I would slash Draco Meteor with Dragon Pulse as it allows it to slam random physical pokemon switch-ins on offensive teams.

252+ SpA Sliggoo Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mightyena: 259-306 (92.1 - 108.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Muddy Water does 55-65% to Ninetales and can KO Rapidash with stealth rock on the field, so that is also a worthy move choice especially considering Sliggoo is a check to these pokemon.

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/Muddy Water
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt

Dundies set is also pretty threatening. I put the option of Dragon Tail over Outrage because it can be an extremely annoying phazer combined with several hazards on the field if it doesn't get the chance to set up curses.
Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Outrage/Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Another option is to run choice specs on Sliggoo. Sliggoo has decent enough special bulk when uninvested as well as the typing to check threats like Zebstrika and Ninetales. It also has a surprisingly decent base 60 speed (lol gamefreak logic) and access to the ridiculous Draco Meteor.

Sliggoo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sap Sipper/Gooey
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/Muddy Water
- Ice Beam

Choice Specs Draco Meteor is an Absolute Nuke.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Sliggoo Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rampardos: 448-528 (133.7 - 157.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sliggoo Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 174-206 (75.3 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sliggoo Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Poliwrath: 280-331 (72.9 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sliggoo Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales: 258-304 (89.8 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Magcargo is trash :(

About Dunsparce, the best set is definitely the paraflinch set with Coil, Roost, Glare, Headbutt. It's actually a threatening bulky sweeper with SpD investment, similar to Munchlax and Vigoroth.
However, I have come up with another equally cancerous set, although one that's probably not as good. Please forgive me.

Dunsparce @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Snore
- Glare

The mechanics work like this: Snore is a STAB move with 50 base power and a 30% chance to flinch- however Dunsparce's serene grace ability turns that into a 60% chance. When Dunsparce is sleeping, it will always use Snore.
You should most likely spam glare early game, as the opponents will see that you are a physical wall and switch into their special attacker. And then late game you can spam calm mind and then when you get low on health, rest, allowing you to hax your way past any non-ghosts.

Another interesting capability of Dunsparce is that it is the only pokemon in the game with Stealth Rock and Roost. This means that if you put a physically defensive set with earthquake and body slam it can outlast other stealth rock users and beat them 1v1, and set it up throughout the game.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
705.gif

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Muddy Water
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Smfh this is the best Sliggoo set (at least I'm putting it first on the analysis). Four attacks doesn't seem too terrible at first, but with no recovery or hazard resistances Sliggoo just dies really fast and can't properly check things like Ninetales. Rest/Talk is a solid and consistent counter, and its niche over Zweilous is that it runs max special attack and hits hard. Muddy Water is overall the best coverage move it has because things like Ice Beam can't touch Probopass, although Thunderbolt isn't too bad. Lol @ crogoo, that was supposed to be a joke

206.gif

Dunsparce @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def or Spdef
Impish Nature
- Glare
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Headbutt

More on the theorymon end of things, but this can probably do better than CM snore. It seems like a poor utility rocks pokemon, but glare cripples pretty much everything, it has reliable recovery, and its STAB isn't too weak, plus dat nice paraflinch chance. Roost + Rocks gives it a niche over other bulky setters with paralysis like Probopass and Stunfisk, so I guess it's something even though this really isn't too great thanks to lack of useful resistances and Vigoroth is a far superior bulky normal.

Raticate @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Quick Attack
- Crunch
- Facade
- Protect / Swords Dance

Let me introduce you to this god mon:

Works similar to Ursaring but has a nicer speed tier to run guts for and has Priority to go for it as well. Use crunch so you dont have to get stalled out or play 50/50's with Misdreavus / other ghost types. Adamant makes this guy hit even harder than Ursaring with Quick Feet and strengthen Quick Attack's against offense.

252+ Atk Guts Raticate Facade (140 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 286-337 (77 - 90.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 238-282 (64.1 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Overall I think this has potential with the right partners.

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Perish Song
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect / Encore

Politoed has always been a signature Pokemon in every tier, thanks to its access to Drizzle, which opens a lot of doors for teambuilding, but not in PU, as it isn't allowed to run it, so it's role is restricted to running a defensive set like this because of its access to utility moves such as Perish Song, Toxic, and Encore, which give it something over other Water-types such as Pelipper and Poliwrath, even if they are less situational and can be splashed on a way bigger variety of teams. However, I think Politoed is kinda underwhelming with this set, as it lacks a reliable recovery and has to rely on Scald burns or Toxic damage to pull damage out, which isn't that great, though it has an higher Speed than most specially defensive walls and good defenses. I'd pair it with teams that struggle with setup sweepers and that need a specially defensive wall, so mainly defensively-oriented and balanced teams.

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Psychic
- Hidden Power Grass / Surf

As I already said, I don't really like Politoed running a defensive role, so I would like to try this set out, as in my opinion can work decently as a wallbreaker. It has access to decent coverage options in Focus Blast, Psychic, and Ice Beam, which allow it to break through most walls and offensive Pokemon, while its decent bulk along with its ability, Water Absorb, allow it to find enough opportunities to switch in or be brought in revengekill, to put in work. Its Special Attack also isn't bad indeed, as it is higher than its rival's one, Poliwrath, though Poliwrath has STAB Focus Blast and Fighting-type can come in handy at times, but I could see occasions where Politoed could be used, even if extremely situational and rare. The choice for the coverage moves depends from the team needs, though I prefer most of the time running Focus Blast and Hidden Power Grass. Choice Specs Politoed most fits in bulky offense and offensive teams that struggle with defensive-ish teams and need a special wallbreaker.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Gabite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Iron Head / Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

This is a pretty cool set that Gabite can use to outspeed Pokemon up to Aurorus after a Rock Polish boost. Outrage and Earthquake are obligatory moves with STAB and usually do the most damage for Gabite and are mainly what it is going to spam. Iron Head takes on Fairy Pokemon and Stone Edge takes on Flying Types like Pelipper. Fire Blast takes on Bulky Grass Types such as Tangela and Gourgeist and means Gabite can still take them on when burned / better than a physical move.

Gabite @ Eviolite
Ability: Rough Skin
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic

Specially Defensive Gabite is actually a really cool mon that's really underrated in the current meta. It checks a lot of threats, namely Ninetales, Zebstrika and Rapidash. It fits relatively well on balance and offense and pairs with a lot of mons to make great defensive cores (Pelipper or Togetic).

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 129-152 (38 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

8 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 254-300 (88.5 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Charcoal Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gabite: 93-110 (27.4 - 32.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 Atk Rapidash Drill Run vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gabite: 69-82 (20.3 - 24.1%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

8 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rapidash: 266-314 (98.1 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Roselia Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 78-93 (23 - 27.4%) -- 57.1% chance to 4HKO

8 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 156 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Roselia: 124-147 (44.2 - 52.5%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 44-52 (12.9 - 15.3%) -- possible 7HKO

8 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 290-344 (99.6 - 118.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Probopass Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 69-82 (20.3 - 24.1%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

8 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 292-348 (96 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Munchlax makes for a good special wall because of its high HP and special defense stat, along with an Eviolite, which also makes up a bit for its mediocre Defense, that allow it to tank special attacks with ease while still being threatening on the offensive side because of a decent base Attack and Curse, which also allows it to further improve its Defense, making it a decent choice for balanced teams too. Thick Fat gives it a niche over Lickilicky which is nice, allowing it to better deal with things such as specs aurorus and ninetales, while it only presents a weakness to Fighting-type, which is rather rare, and still shared by the Pokemon that gives it most competition for a teamslot, Lickilicky. Unfortunately, Munchlax's lack of reliable recovery, and the fact the it has to only rely on Body Slam to pull of damage, make it difficult to constantly check special attackers and become a real offensive threat, as it can be walled by a big variety of Pokemon, commonly Ghost-types, and the lack of immediate sheer power also makes it Taunt bait.

Cherrim @ Life Orb
Ability: Flower Gift
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solarbeam
- Sunny Day
- Weather Ball
- Healing Wish

Cherrim's main niche comes with Healing Wish, which might just be very helpful in a bunch of sun teams as it increases the longevity of your supports or even your abusers, it's rather helpful. Otherwise, Cherrim is your daily sun abuser, using Solarbeam & Weather Ball to hit almost everything for at least neutral damage. Even if it's special attack is rather unimpressive, it still deals quite decent damage. Same can be said about its speed, its not good but it can outspeed a bunch of threats. Also, note that Cherrim thanks to Flower Gift has very decent Special bulk, which could also be quite helpful at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)