5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can someone please point me to a guide for RNGing shiny roamers that does NOT require the use of PokéCheck? IIRC there was one on NuggetBridge a few years ago, but I can't seem to find it.
The one on Smogon covers the required information. The only part missing is the "trial and error" part, but that works exactly as you'd expect it to.

The one on Smogon covers the required information. The only part missing is the "trial and error" part, but that works exactly as you'd expect it to.
I thought that it was recommended that you RNG a non-shiny one with your desired IVs and nature, determine its PID (using characteristics and nature I believe), then start a new game, RNG your ID/SID to allow the previously captured one to be shiny, then repeat your RNG process once you reach that point in the game, thus getting a shiny one. Is all that not really unnecessary?

Also, what's with the Chatot calls in increments of 10? When RNGing mine non-shiny, I simply did them in increments of 1.

.com

Grumpy old man
I thought that it was recommended that you RNG a non-shiny one with your desired IVs and nature, determine its PID (using characteristics and nature I believe), then start a new game, RNG your ID/SID to allow the previously captured one to be shiny, then repeat your RNG process once you reach that point in the game, thus getting a shiny one. Is all that not really unnecessary?

Also, what's with the Chatot calls in increments of 10? When RNGing mine non-shiny, I simply did them in increments of 1.
You can do it that way (in which case you proceed as you state), but it's certainly worked for me the way of the Smogon guide.

Increments of 10 I'm not sure about. Probably so people don't go in expecting exactly 1 frame advance each time. (For reference, and for no reason, I did 5 each time, and always started by doing 10 to confirm my seed).

I'm having some problems with RNG Reporter.

First off, there are graphics issues. While not a big issue, the main screen has a few items overlapping. Also, the Unova Link Calibration screen has part of the buttons cut off by the results window, largely rendering it unusable. I'm using the highest resolution that my laptop is capable of (1366 x 768).

There's more wrong than just graphics, though. I created a profile for my White Version, then went to the 5th Gen Time Finder. I selected my profile, and chose "Wondercard." I left the frame advancement range at 1-1000. With every single month checked (and the year being 2015), it is unable to generate any results no matter what, even if I leave every single IV and nature unchecked. It doesn't freeze; it comes up with the progress window for a few seconds, which then goes away, and there are 0 results. Now I KNOW that's not right...

I'm using the most recent version, but the same things happen in an older version, too.

Can someone please help me?

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Are the buttons still blocked when you maximize the windows? You could try maximizing/restoring down the windows to see if that resizes anything.

Are you using the right version of the RNG Reporter--the one that requires the .Net framework if you are on Windows 7/8? Sounds like you've tried several versions, but I guess you can try re-downloading it (or even rebooting) if you haven't yet. If yes, there may be something else wrong, which a screenshot may be able to help determine.

Not sure what the issue is, but I figured I'd take a shot at it :P

Are the buttons still blocked when you maximize the windows? You could try maximizing/restoring down the windows to see if that resizes anything.

Are you using the right version of the RNG Reporter--the one that requires the .Net framework if you are on Windows 7/8? Sounds like you've tried several versions, but I guess you can try re-downloading it (or even rebooting) if you haven't yet. If yes, there may be something else wrong, which a screenshot may be able to help determine.

Not sure what the issue is, but I figured I'd take a shot at it :P
Thanks for your reply. It turns out that everything looks fine when I change a simple display setting ("Change the size of all items") from Medium to Smaller.

Everything else seems to be working too. I'm not sure if it was the reboot as per your suggestion, or if my original search was too narrow, or what, but I'm getting results now. :)

Slashmolder

'Ello Governor
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
RNGReporter is pretty old so it's never been tested on scaling or anything like that. Just ignore the minor graphical issues. Maybe I'll move the project to github and allow pull requests to fix them.

so is there absolutely no way to RNG Thundurus on White cart after respawn on E4? Just found out I had released him on route 7 :/
I'd rather not reset my cart if possible...

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
so is there absolutely no way to RNG Thundurus on White cart after respawn on E4? Just found out I had released him on route 7 :/
I'd rather not reset my cart if possible...
It should respawn again if you faint it and rebeat the E4. The shininess/nature is doable (as fighting the Champion advances the PIDRNG frame by 6), but the IVRNG is continuously advancing during the fight making it hard to get the right IVs. It's generated at the Hall of Fame machine if you want to try to attempt it. That's what the OP says anyway :P

So, yes you can RNG it, but IVs will be nearly impossible to get.

Yeah, it's me again with the same sandstorm problem...

Stubborn me decided to try hitting the frame without Chatot calls because some of the Seeds I found had a really close by SSF because of the sand, literally 2 frames away in some cases. Of course, this all failed because I could never hit the right frame, so I figured, maybe I should do the Chatot thing after all.

And well, they are just weird. I immediately open the menu, then close by pressing B and mash A to get into battle. The list so far
Hardy -> 401, 403 (hit this one three times)
Careful -> 405 (once)
Bashful -> 383, 409 (twice)
Gentle -> 417, 433 (three times)
Mild -> 425 (once, slowish)

So, with that list, it's obvious that my SSF is somewhere around 400ish. Since I hit 417, 433 three times, I figured I'd try that one. My target is 449, so I advance 32 frames.

But then, I get this
Jolly -> 393, 440, 565
Adamant -> 445, 492, 545
Mild -> 553
Docile -> 542

Assuming the first two are the last numbers, why do I suddenly end up with a higher frame? Is it because when I press X when done with Chatot flipping, it takes longer for the game to go back to the overworld as opposed to going out the standard menu?

I'm thinking that might be the case, but I haven't tested it yet.

Edit -> To test my theory, I advanced 32 frames, then pressed B three times instead of X. I get Rash -> 629. WTH! o_O

The only other explanation I can think of for this is that the sand advances even if you're in the regular menu (you can still see the sandstorm going on in the background). Maybe I should find my SSF for when I press X to leave all the menu's...

Unless of course my actual SSF is MUCH MUCH higher, but that makes no sense. With a starting frame of 50ish and approx 4 seconds, it makes total sense you reach a SSF of 300+. Add 2 seconds for going and out the menu and you get 400 and maybe 500ish for using X. So where does the +100 come from?

Edit2 -> I come with new data.

I started checking my frame by pressing X in one of my Pokemon's menu, without advancing. I found a LOT of possible matches, but I think I found a possible trend.
Gentle -> 390, 391, 493, 522, 529, 550, 557 (twice)
Jolly -> 380, 438, 475, 509, 517, 520, 600 (twice)
Hardy -> 469, 505, 604 (once)
Quirky -> 414, 489, 599 (twice)

I'm guessing that my SSF is somewhere between 489 and 509, using this method. Now, finding more frames this way is all and well, but as my target frame is 449 for this seed, there's really no point continuing. I have other seeds that have a target somewhere in the 550s, so I'm thinking of doing the same method and trying to find my SSF for that seed.

Edit3 -> YES. I GOT IT. =D After finding my new SSF and adding some advances, I tried it and boom, shiny Braviary. =D

Now, the annoying part is that, this is an unsynchable nature, so if I want to get shiny Adamant and Careful, I'm gonna have to redo the same process all over again with a different seed. =X At least I know what works now.

Last edited:
So I'm trying to get a 30/30/30/30/30/30 Ditto in Giant Chasm in White. I found a spread for it on frame 3 with the seed 9C70A7B0DBEF3A0F. After Timer0 screwing with me a few times, I finally got a 30/30/30/30/30/30... Clefairy. I don't get it, in the time finder I specified encounter slot 3 and 6 yet that Clefairy is from encounter slot 2. Another thing is that nowhere on RNG reporter could I find where it says what encounter slot the frame leads to.

What do I do?

.com

Grumpy old man
Time Finder is likely finding you seeds which can get the desired Ditto. It doesn't mean that the initial PID frame will give you one.
Without knowing your full profile I can't check your starting frame for you, but there's Synchronizable Encounter Slot 3 and 6 ones on frames: n := 61, 62, 119, 120, 121
Whatever your s := starting frame is (should say somewhere on RNG Reporter) you just need to advance the PID frame by n - s times.

You can do this by saving the game (makes one advancement), or listening to the "cry" of a Chatot with a custom Chatter recorded. [There are other methods too, but these (AFAIK) are the most common.]

Time Finder is likely finding you seeds which can get the desired Ditto. It doesn't mean that the initial PID frame will give you one.
Without knowing your full profile I can't check your starting frame for you, but there's Synchronizable Encounter Slot 3 and 6 ones on frames: n := 61, 62, 119, 120, 121
Whatever your s := starting frame is (should say somewhere on RNG Reporter) you just need to advance the PID frame by n - s times.

You can do this by saving the game (makes one advancement), or listening to the "cry" of a Chatot with a custom Chatter recorded. [There are other methods too, but these (AFAIK) are the most common.]
First, I'd like to thank you so much for the quick response.

http://i.imgur.com/t3DAmMH.png

I'll admit, I didn't quite follow what you're saying, but I could at least take away that encounter slot can be changed with the PID frame.

Exactly how am I to determine how much I need to advance the frame to get the desired encounter slot?

Edit: Okay, so I finally remembered how to search through the PID frames on RNG reporter. It said my starting frames was 51 and I checked and the Clefairy was on frame 53. I assumed this was because either taking one step in the tall grass or using sweet scent advanced the frame by 2, accounting for this, it said that frame 61 was encounter slot 3. So I saved the game 8 times and encountered a Sassy 30/30/30/30/30/30 Solrock which is apparently on frame 75. I... don't understand this...

To describe exactly what I did is I started the game at the time specified. Took 127 steps in normal terrain until repel ran out with 2 Pokémon in my party. I took one final step into tall grass and used sweet scent to encounter the Pokémon.

Edit 2: I did 15 advancements and got it! Yes!

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
By the way, was it ever figured out how to abuse roamers after the Elite Four?
It [the roamer] should respawn again if you faint it and rebeat the E4. The shininess/nature is doable (as fighting the Champion advances the PIDRNG frame by 6), but the IVRNG is continuously advancing during the fight making it hard to get the right IVs. It's generated at the Hall of Fame machine if you want to try to attempt it. That's what the OP says anyway :P

So, yes you can RNG it, but IVs will be nearly impossible to get.

With all the recent success I've had in my White 2, I figured I'd reset some stuff in White.

Going for a Throh in Pinwheel Forest. I hit my seed and catch the first thing I see, which is a level 12 Pidove with Docile nature and Capable of Taking Hits as it's characteristic. When I plug it in the RNGReporter, it can't find the frame at all (starting frame is 48, seed is 8688010307299232). Like, it would find something at 200+ or something, which is impossible. When I advanced some frames, the same thing happened. What's wrong?

The only thing that it could be, is that this is a seed for a Stationary Pokemon without me knowing...I'll check that I guess. =/

Edit -> It's not. The shiny frame matches the wild encounter. Can RNGReporter be wrong about it's characteristics? It's obvious that the frames won't lign up perfectly because of NPC's, but this is just bs.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Yes, the Reporter has be known to be wrong with characteristics (I generally don't look at them when finding my frame).

Without knowing exactly what you're doing, the first match I see for a encounter slot of 1 and Docile is frame 64; which could be possible if you aren't using sweet scent. Do the exact IVs of the Pidove you encounter match the seed? If not, then you aren't hitting your seed.

Is there a guide anywhere on how to do B/W Entralink abuse with natures in RNG Reporter? Sephirona's guide on the first page doesn't cover natures; the only one I've seen that does is the on-site PPRNG one.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Is there a guide anywhere on how to do B/W Entralink abuse with natures in RNG Reporter? Sephirona's guide on the first page doesn't cover natures; the only one I've seen that does is the on-site PPRNG one.
I don't know of a guide, but most places just say to keep trying/use a synch/hope for the best when it comes to natures. The basics of the PPRNG guide should hold, so hopefully you can follow most of that. If you're set on it though, hopefully this will help you get to the same screenshots that are in the PPRNG guide:

1) In the 5th gen Time Finder, set the Method to "IVs (C-gear Seed)" and the Encounter type to "Stationary Pokemon". Search for seeds based on the IVs you want as usual.

2) Right-click on your desired seed, and click "Generate Entralink Nature Seeds." This will bring up a menu analogous to the Entralink Natures tab in the guide (the part talking about the clusters etc). Select the nature you want from the drop-down, and generate the results. Find a good cluster/frame for the nature you want.

3) Go back to the Time Finder, right-click on your seed, and this time click "Generate More Times." Make sure the info is correct in the Seed to Times window that pops up, and click the first generate button.

4) As described in the PPRNG guide, choose the date/time that is the same as the C-gear date/time associated with the frame/seed you chose in step 2. Once you find the right one, click the second generate button.

5) Go back to the Entralink Seed Search window (the one that was opened in step 2). Copy the seed that you chose, and paste the full seed into the main window. For the main window, the Method should be "Gen 5 PIDRNG", and the Encounter Type is "Entralink Pokemon." This should make the main window resemble the picture just below the ZomgTimer image in the guide. The Standard Seed Time referred to in the guide (17:16.19) is listed in the Entralink Seed Search window under the Date/Time column.

You'll notice that the frames are off by 1 in the main window. Not sure why...could be a bug, or I could just be missing something. Also, sorry if it seems like I'm jumping around in the menus. I was trying to get you to open the menus in the same order the pictures are in the guide :P

Hopefully that should get you to all of the analogous windows in the RNG Reporter. From there, you should be able to follow the guide.

Hope that helps :) I think I described it in enough detail that you don't need pictures, but I guess you'll be the judge of that XD.

I've never actually done C-gear abuse (and literally figured out most of that just now), so hopefully someone more experienced can fill in the gaps :P

Last edited:
Yes, the Reporter has be known to be wrong with characteristics (I generally don't look at them when finding my frame).

Without knowing exactly what you're doing, the first match I see for a encounter slot of 1 and Docile is frame 64; which could be possible if you aren't using sweet scent. Do the exact IVs of the Pidove you encounter match the seed? If not, then you aren't hitting your seed.
Oh, ok. I actually do use it to find my frame, but I guess it's not that good lol.

What do you mean possible if not using Sweet Scent? I am using Sweet Scent. =P

But anyway, yeah, I probably should've mentioned that, but the IVs match the Seed. I've actually already encountered shiny Throh, but of course I wasn't using my Syncher at that time. And every case after that, I kept missing my target (damn you WNPCs!). I'll get it eventually.

I just really thought I could trust the characteristics. =( Thanks though! =)

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
What do you mean possible if not using Sweet Scent? I am using Sweet Scent. =P

I just really thought I could trust the characteristics. =( Thanks though! =)
I just meant if you were running around to encounter the Pokemon rather than using Sweet Scent. The extra steps in the grass would advance the PIDRNG.

The characteristics aren't wrong all the time, but I have come across a few instances where everything else matches, but the characteristic was off. The gender/nature/ability/IVs are usually enough to tell you where you are, so I don't normally bother with them. You can use them if you want, but if everything else matches and the characteristic doesn't, don't get too discouraged. Yup, you'll get it! :)

I don't know of a guide, but most places just say to keep trying/use a synch/hope for the best when it comes to natures. The basics of the PPRNG guide should hold, so hopefully you can follow most of that. If you're set on it though, hopefully this will help you get to the same screenshots that are in the PPRNG guide:

1) In the 5th gen Time Finder, set the Method to "IVs (C-gear Seed)" and the Encounter type to "Stationary Pokemon". Search for seeds based on the IVs you want as usual.

2) Right-click on your desired seed, and click "Generate Entralink Nature Seeds." This will bring up a menu analogous to the Entralink Natures tab in the guide (the part talking about the clusters etc). Select the nature you want from the drop-down, and generate the results. Find a good cluster/frame for the nature you want.

3) Go back to the Time Finder, right-click on your seed, and this time click "Generate More Times." Make sure the info is correct in the Seed to Times window that pops up, and click the first generate button.

4) As described in the PPRNG guide, choose the date/time that is the same as the C-gear date/time associated with the frame/seed you chose in step 2. Once you find the right one, click the second generate button.

5) Go back to the Entralink Seed Search window (the one that was opened in step 2). Copy the seed that you chose, and paste the full seed into the main window. For the main window, the Method should be "Gen 5 PIDRNG", and the Encounter Type is "Entralink Pokemon." This should make the main window resemble the picture just below the ZomgTimer image in the guide. The Standard Seed Time referred to in the guide (17:16.19) is listed in the Entralink Seed Search window under the Date/Time column.

You'll notice that the frames are off by 1 in the main window. Not sure why...could be a bug, or I could just be missing something. Also, sorry if it seems like I'm jumping around in the menus. I was trying to get you to open the menus in the same order the pictures are in the guide :P

Hopefully that should get you to all of the analogous windows in the RNG Reporter. From there, you should be able to follow the guide.

Hope that helps :) I think I described it in enough detail that you don't need pictures, but I guess you'll be the judge of that XD.

I've never actually done C-gear abuse (and literally figured out most of that just now), so hopefully someone more experienced can fill in the gaps :P
Thanks so much! I was able to follow that with no trouble. My only concern was that the IVs shown on my target seed after hitting the second "Generate" button in step 4 do not match my target IVs. Are the IVs shown here for a different frame or something?

Now I'm at the point where I set up my timer. I'm on Windows, so I have EonTimer available. The guide only covers ZomgTimer since it's made for Mac-only PPRNG, but it says to use EonTimer if possible. How do I set everything up with EonTimer?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks so much! I was able to follow that with no trouble. My only concern was that the IVs shown on my target seed after hitting the second "Generate" button in step 4 do not match my target IVs. Are the IVs shown here for a different frame or something?

Now I'm at the point where I set up my timer. I'm on Windows, so I have EonTimer available. The guide only covers ZomgTimer since it's made for Mac-only PPRNG, but it says to use EonTimer if possible. How do I set everything up with EonTimer?
You're welcome! Glad it helps :) It shows the IVs for the max/min frame range you enter before hitting "Generate." So if your range is too big (say, 1-40), then you won't be able to see your target IVs even though they're there (notice the ellipsis [...] at the end of the line when you enter a really big range). If you set the max/min to your target frame (for demonstration purposes only), then you'll see your target IVs if it's set up right.

I would follow the setup described in Sephirona's post on page 1...there's quite a bit of detail there. You may also have to make the adjustments talked about in the Timer Setup section of the PPRNG guide, but those will come about from calibration/trial-and-error anyway. As a side note, I would just stick with the delay the Reporter tells you, as I don't see any distinction in there between Actual and Base Delay for a seed.

Based on the OP, am I to assume the Dream Radar section of the RNG Reporter does not work or would Dream Radar RNG be possible using the RNG Reporter (I don't have a MAC).

Also, how do I change configurations for my Gen V Time Finder? I'm stuck on my White's configuration without a clue as to know how to change it (potentially going to start RNGing in W2).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)