VGC Mega Steelix Doubles

Should Mega Camerupt be a mixed attacker instead?

• Total voters
Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: NaN Spe
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Heavy Slam

Mega Seelix's main goal is to keep most fairies in check while also being bulky and generally hard to take down. Steelix can take on common threats such as sylveon, landorus, kangaskhan, aegislash, talonflame and surprisingly amoonguss (Heavy Slam). The only bad thing about mega steelix is that it really depends on how lucky you are with the damage roll in sandstorm.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / NaN Spe
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I thought that mega camerupt would fit nicely into this team because of its natural ability to be fat and slow. I thought that I didn't really have that much offense, and my team was weak to bulky grass types such as mega venasaur, so here is the fat cow. I couldn't decide whether to go mixed attacker with camerupt because I didn't want to get 1 hit ko'd by some attacks, so i went the max hp/sp atk way.

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Flamethrower

Tyranitar is kind of a surprise factor that I use to throw people off. It was hard for me to decide the move-slots for it but I thought rock slide would be more important than dark pulse due to my teams weakness to charizard y. Tyranitar is a huge help in terms of ko'ing landorus and common threats such as aegislash, terrakion, and mega salamence after a weakness policy boost. Plus with the help from aromatisse's heal pulse, it makes it even more difficult to ko.

Aromatisse @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Moonblast
- Heal Pulse
- Trick Room
- Protect

Aromatisse is one of my personal favorites to use mainly because of the guaranteed Trick Room set up. Its bulky enough to take on a max special attack mega gengar sludge bomb AND an iron head from bisharp (flinch factor still) while being able to ko a hydreigon with no sp.atk investments and being able to 2 hit KO' most dragon/fighting/dark types with moon blast. Heal Pulse saved me a couple games and I deemed it worthy to have it in a moveslot.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder

I needed a slow grass type that could redirect attacks that Hariyama couldn't tank so my Aromatisse could set up trick room. Plus my team was generally weak to water types and since I couldn't find any other replacement, I chose Amoonguss. I did use Cradily at one point but considering Cradily has a lot of weaknesses, I thought Amoonguss would fit in as a better choice.

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 126 Def / 126 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off]

Hariyama and Aromatisse are one of the most used combos I send out in the beginning of every game, unless there is a faster fake out user or a Talonflame. Hariyama is a support for aromatisse (with fake out) and also gets the guts boost from flame orb on the next turn. Most mons that don't resist Hariyama's attacks usually die, while aromatisse can use heal pulse to keep its partner alive a bit longer. This duo is really good together and do a lot of damage if the opponent isn't ready for them.

Please feel free to tell me what my team needs and to critique me openly.

Last edited:
Hey I really like your team. It seems like it has a lot of potential, but I can't help but wonder what the purpose of Mega-Camerupt is on your team... I realise that it can take on a lot of grass types that your team can't handle, but I can't help but think that a single Suicune could demolish your team without double focus. Then again, I'm not sure what to add there that would work in the Sand. Maybe a hard-hitting magnezone with HP [fire]? Or a different Pok that works better under TR. Also, what's your solution of your Aromatisse dies before you finish the game? A loss or can your team pull through with the insane power of its attackers? Regardless, I almost think that you should replace Haryama with Conkeldur. He's less bulky but is basically the same strategy as Haryama but without fake-out, which kinda stings a bit. With a brave nature he has like 40 speed or something under TR and he hits like a truck with Hammer Arm. Though the damage increase is substantial, you could keep Haryama just for the fake-out. It depends on what you like.
Oh, and why don't you have regenerator on Amoongus? Effect spore is a lot less annoying unless the team has a shit-ton of physical attackers and you just keep on destroying them with rage power. The rest of your team looks really solid, unless you want to run Mega-TTar as a giant tank under the Sand, and switch out Camerupt for something else. I don't really know. This team has a whole hell of a lot of potential, and I think you really just need a few changes to make it perfect.

Hey I really like your team. It seems like it has a lot of potential, but I can't help but wonder what the purpose of Mega-Camerupt is on your team... I realise that it can take on a lot of grass types that your team can't handle, but I can't help but think that a single Suicune could demolish your team without double focus. Then again, I'm not sure what to add there that would work in the Sand. Maybe a hard-hitting magnezone with HP [fire]? Or a different Pok that works better under TR. Also, what's your solution of your Aromatisse dies before you finish the game? A loss or can your team pull through with the insane power of its attackers? Regardless, I almost think that you should replace Haryama with Conkeldur. He's less bulky but is basically the same strategy as Haryama but without fake-out, which kinda stings a bit. With a brave nature he has like 40 speed or something under TR and he hits like a truck with Hammer Arm. Though the damage increase is substantial, you could keep Haryama just for the fake-out. It depends on what you like.
Oh, and why don't you have regenerator on Amoongus? Effect spore is a lot less annoying unless the team has a shit-ton of physical attackers and you just keep on destroying them with rage power. The rest of your team looks really solid, unless you want to run Mega-TTar as a giant tank under the Sand, and switch out Camerupt for something else. I don't really know. This team has a whole hell of a lot of potential, and I think you really just need a few changes to make it perfect.
Thanks dude, I know my team lacks a pokemon that can take on bulky water types. I was thinking Tangrowth or an eviolite tangela with power swap and leaf storm. As for Conkeldur, I do like the sound of him. Although i mainly use hariyama for the fakeout. Though i will consider him on my team.
here are some replays i saved some time ago.

U5XW-WWWW-WWXU-LCYX
8GPW-WWWW-WWXU-LCFQ

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Well, I think the above post is really, really inaccurate. (the guy before you, I got sniped hard)

Mega camel is fine, it's a great tr sweeper in its own right and it shoud stay entirely special.

Conkeldurr is in no way a better choice than hariyama. Fake out is super important, and it hits harder than conk with cc.

Tyranitar is fine, except maybe give it dark pulse>flamethrower, stone edge>rock slide, and a life orb.

Why use rocky spdef amoong? That seems pretty contradictory. Just give it sitrus instead.

To be honest, steelix is kinda outclassed by mega mawile. You based your whole team around it though, so I'm guessing you're keeping it that way. Also, 228 hp 28 spdef is a more efficient spread.

Well, I think the above post is really, really inaccurate. (the guy before you, I got sniped hard)

Mega camel is fine, it's a great tr sweeper in its own right and it shoud stay entirely special.

Conkeldurr is in no way a better choice than hariyama. Fake out is super important, and it hits harder than conk with cc.

Tyranitar is fine, except maybe give it dark pulse>flamethrower, stone edge>rock slide, and a life orb.

Why use rocky spdef amoong? That seems pretty contradictory. Just give it sitrus instead.

To be honest, steelix is kinda outclassed by mega mawile. You based your whole team around it though, so I'm guessing you're keeping it that way. Also, 228 hp 28 spdef is a more efficient spread.
There was a reason for the max sp.def amoongus but i forget why. But please tell me why that ev spread is better with Mega Steelix though.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Well, I'm not against the spdef amoong, I'm saying it should be sitrus over rocky, cause rocky implies you want to take physical hits, notably kanga.

Mega steelix has such a high base defense that 28 extra hp evs don't get any relevant physical benchmarks. 228 28 just maximizes your pure special bulk, given 252 evs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)