Cresselia (Revamp)

p2

Banned deucer.

QC: AM | TDK | Leftiez
GP: GatoDelFuego | SM979

[OVERVIEW]

Cresselia boasts fantastic bulk, coupled with a solid support movepool and Levitate, which allows it to check the biggest threats in the OU metagame while also being one of very few Pokemon that can completely hard counter Landorus, one of the most potent wallbreakers in the tier. Its typing and ability provide a very useful resistance to Fighting-type moves and an immunity to Ground-type moves. Cresselia also has access to Moonlight, which is fairly reliable but is held back by its low PP and the current prevalence of sand in OU. Despite having titanic defenses, Cresselia is very weak offensively, which leaves it relying on Toxic to deal any real damage, and its Psychic typing leaves it weak to Dark-, Ghost-, and Bug-type moves.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Moonlight
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Ice Beam / Skill Swap
move 4: Thunder Wave / Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Levitate
nature: Calm
evs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonlight is absolutely necessary on Cresselia, as it needs the recovery to consistently handle threats such as Landorus, Thundurus, and Keldeo. However, Moonlight is cut from 50% healing to 33% in rain or sand. Psychic deals more damage to more physically defensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Mega Lopunny, while Psyshock allows Cresselia to do more damage to Calm Mind users such as Clefable or Pokemon that have more Special Defense, such as Assault Vest Conkeldurr and Assault Vest Azumarill. Ice Beam allows Cresselia to 2HKO Pokemon such as Landorus and Thundurus while also doing large amount of damage to Gliscor, Garchomp, and Dragonite. Thunder Wave is used to cripple Pokemon that commonly switch into Cresselia, such as Choise Scarf Tyranitar, Bisharp, or fast Bug-types such as Scolipede and Mega Beedrill, while Toxic can be used to wear down more defensive pokemon such as Hippowdon, Rotom-W, Raikou, and Unaware Clefable. Skill Swap is a very solid move on Cresselia, as it allows Cresselia to beat Pokemon that are reliant on their abilities, such as Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie, which both lose Magic Bounce, allowing Cresselia to wear them down with Toxic. Clefable and Gliscor also don't appreciate losing their abilities, as Calm Mind Clefable cannot take on Cresselia due to Toxic damage and Gliscor loses Poison Heal, which removes its useful passive recovery.

Set Details
========

A Calm nature allows Cresselia to take on the most powerful special attackers in the tier; outside of Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast, Life Orb Gengar, and Tail Glow Manaphy, Cresselia avoids the 2HKO from every special attacker. Despite the low Defense investment, Cresselia can still handle the more powerful physical attackers in the tier, being able to avoid the 2HKO from Adamant Mega Lopunny, Jolly Mega Metagross, and Rash Landorus's Knock Off. Leftovers provide passive recovery for Cresselia which lets it avoid being 2HKOed by certain Pokemon, such as Nasty Plot Thundurus, and Mega Metagross

Usage Tips
========

Cresselia should be used to check and cripple powerful attackers in OU, such as Landorus-T, Mega Metagross,Mega Lopunny, Keldeo, Landorus, Thundurus, Tornadus-T and plenty of more threats. Cresselia one of two Pokemon, the other being Mega Latias, that can hard counter Landorus, even Calm Mind variants. This is really useful, as Landorus can destroy stall and bulky balance teams lacking Cresselia or Mega Latias.
Cresselia should also be used to spread status and cripple things, such as using Toxic on Pokemon that are prone to being worn down, such as Hippowdon, Rotom-W, Raikou, and Zapdos.

Team Options
========

Cresselia only fits on stall or semi-stall teams, as it is too passive to be used on an offensive team. Cresselia likes having teammates that can absorb status or Heal Bell / Aromatherapy users, such as Magic Guard Clefable or Chansey, because Cresselia has no way to remove status without team support, and due to this, is very weak to status. Other teammates include Quagsire or Unaware Clefable, as Cresselia is very easy to take advantage of and set up on, more specifically by Pokemon such as Bisharp and Mega Scizor. Unaware allows Quagsire and Clefable to ignore stat changes, which means Bisharp and Mega Scizor are completely countered by Quagsire. Quagsire is more preferable, as Bisharp and Mega Scizor have very powerful Steel-type STAB moves which can ruin Clefable, even if it has Unaware. Chesnaught is another option for a teammate, because it is a solid counter to Bisharp and Tyranitar, it can get chip damage on Pokemon with Leech Seed, and it has access to Roar and Spikes which allow Chesnaught to deter setting up and switching. Mega Sableye threatens Pokemon that can try to set up hazards or status Cresselia, such as Ferrothorn. Defensive Mega Altaria is also a good teammate for Cresselia, as it can handle both Mega Charizard X and Mega Charizard Y, which can break past Cresselia fairly easily, while also beating opposing Mega Sableye if Cresselia isn't running Skill Swap.

[SET]
name: Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Lunar Dance
item: Mental Herb / Leftovers
nature: Sassy
ivs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick Room allows slower Pokemon to move first while faster ones move last. This can turn slow, powerful wallbreakers into fast, potent sweepers. Psychic acts as a STAB move and hits Pokemon weak to Psychic-type moves such as Gengar, Mega Lopunny, and Terrakion, while Psyshock can be used to hit Pokemon with a higher Special Defense stat. Ice Beam is for Pokemon such as Landorus, Thundurus, Garchomp, and Dragonite, as Cresselia can handle all of these Pokemon easily. Lunar Dance allows Cresselia to completely heal a teammate, including their PP, though it makes Cresselia faint.

Set Details
========

A Sassy nature with 0 IVs make as Cresselia slow as possible so it can move quickly under Trick Room. Mental Herb is run to guarantee that Cresselia can set up Trick Room at least once a game, while Leftovers can be run for additional recovery. Colbur Berry can be run to weaken damage from Dark-type moves. as Trick Room teams can stack a Dark-type weakness very easily. The EV spread allows Cresselia to avoid being 2HKOed by the most powerful special attacks in the tier, apart from Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast, boosted Manaphy from Tail Glow, and Life Orb Gengar, while also being able to handle powerful physical attackers such as Mega Metagross, Mega Lopunny, and Landorus-T.

Usage Tips
========

Lead with Cresselia to set up Trick Room as soon as possible, as this allows your team to grab momentum, especially against fast offensive teams. Try to preserve Cresselia until the late-game, where it can set Trick Room again, as it is guaranteed to end by then and use Lunar Dance to completely heal one of your Trick Room sweepers to clean up your opponent's team.

Team Options
========

This set should only be used a Trick Room team with slow, powerful wallbreakers such as Mega Heracross, Mega Camerupt, Azumarill, and Crawdaunt, along with secondary Trick Room setters such as Porygon2, Slowbro, and Diancie. Porygon2 is a very bulky setter, but is passive like Cresselia and is very weak to Knock Off due to its reliance on Eviolite. Slowbro has access to Regenerator and Oblivious which means it can constantly pivot in and out of moves to stay healthy, while Oblivious gives it an immunity to Taunt so it can set up Trick Room very easily. Diancie is an effective Trick Room setter as well, thanks to it being one of the few viable Trick Room setters that can set up Stealth Rock. It can also beat Talonflame, which is a very big issue for Trick Room teams because of it practically ignoring Trick Room due to its powerful priority courtesy of its ability. Bisharp and Talonflame are other Pokemon that can work in and outside of Trick Room, which is very useful because Trick Room won't be up the entire game. They are usable in Trick Room because they have access to powerful priority moves.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Hidden Power Fire can be used to deal damage to Steel-types such as Ferrothorn or Scizor which can set up on Cresselia. Cresselia can be used for dual screens, which provides its teammates with easier setup opportunities. Rocky Helmet can be used to punish physical attackers such as Tyranitar, Scizor, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Metagross. Cresselia can use Rest + Sleep Talk as an alternate form of recovery, but it uses up two moveslots instead of one. Cresselia can run Calm Mind sets, but is generally outclassed by other Calm Mind users such as Reuniclus and Clefable.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magic Guard and Magic Bounce**: Pokemon with Magic Bounce and Magic Guard can easily set up on Cresselia if it lacks Skill Swap.

**Weather**: Rain and sand reduce Moonlight's recovery from 50% down to 33%, which makes Cresselia much easier to wear down.

**Dark-types**: Bisharp, Weavile, and Choice Band Tyranitar do massive amounts of Cresselia and can usually OHKO after two rounds of Stealth Rock damage.

**Bug-types**: Bug-types like Scizor, Mega Beedrill, Scolipede, and Mega Heracross can deal massive damage to Cresselia.

**Status**: Cresselia cannot recover from status without team support and thus is severely crippled by being poisoned or burned.

**Taunt**: Cresselia has weak offenses, so it can be taken advantage of by common Taunt users such as Mew or Heatran.

Last edited by a moderator:

p2

Banned deucer.
AM I'm not sure if you've seen this yet, but I think this is now ready for QC. Are there any sets that that I'm missing? I don't think I should bother with a Calm Mind set considering Cress is pretty outclassed in OU at that, but should I make the Dual Screens set a bit faster to outspeed Adamant Bisharp, or even go as far as outspeeding Jolly Bisharp? (136 EVs and 232 EVs, respectively)
I just deleted my last post to save cluttering this up with my posts.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Jukain mentioned this to me a while back, but skill swap + toxic needs a really big mention if not its own set. This allows cress to cripple mega sableye, clefable, and reuniclus also is nice to cripple offensive pokemon that heavily benefit from their abilities like mega altaria, mega metagross, mega charizard x, and azumarill.
See what qc says.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
In need of sleep so I'll be able to elaborate more in time but Cress is gonna be running Special Defense investment > Physical defense investment in most circumstances. Full defense is specific for a team while it's more optimal to run a certain bit of defense and just dump the rest into special defense considering what it realistically is suppose to be pivoting into, think Landorus.

Screens Cresselia is gonna more than likely going to be OO so just a thought. Trick Room support is gonna need a set considering it's a staple on the playstyle.

You should probably mention in the overview that Cresselia is one of the best Landorus-I counter available, as that is a large reason to use it.

Powerful Dark-types and bug-types such as Cb Scizor, CB Tar, and LO Bisharp should be mentioned in C&C.

Not sure if Cresselia should be mentioned as a counter to Mega Metagross; all it can really do is cripple it with Thunder Wave, while Mega Metagross can just spam Meteor Mash and eventually overpower cresselia with the attack boost. This is just speculation though, as I have no experience in the MU.

p2

Banned deucer.
In need of sleep so I'll be able to elaborate more in time but Cress is gonna be running Special Defense investment > Physical defense investment in most circumstances. Full defense is specific for a team while it's more optimal to run a certain bit of defense and just dump the rest into special defense considering what it realistically is suppose to be pivoting into, think Landorus.

Screens Cresselia is gonna more than likely going to be OO so just a thought. Trick Room support is gonna need a set considering it's a staple on the playstyle.
okay, I added TR Cress and moved Dual Screens into OO.
As for the EV spread, what do you think? I like 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 SpD with a Bold nature which allows it to counter +1 Sludge Wave Landorus. It's a bit specific, but it's one of the more powerful attackers Cresselia is used to counter. After I've decided on an EV spread, it should definitely be ready for QC then.

You should probably mention in the overview that Cresselia is one of the best Landorus-I counter available, as that is a large reason to use it.

Powerful Dark-types and bug-types such as Cb Scizor, CB Tar, and LO Bisharp should be mentioned in C&C.

Not sure if Cresselia should be mentioned as a counter to Mega Metagross; all it can really do is cripple it with Thunder Wave, while Mega Metagross can just spam Meteor Mash and eventually overpower cresselia with the attack boost. This is just speculation though, as I have no experience in the MU.
Added TTar and Bisharp under Dark Types + removed mentions of it countering MegaGross. When I get back I'll add in a bit for Bug-types as well.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i did a bit of number crunching, and i feel that an ev spread of 248 hp / 40 def / 220 spdef with a calm nature is the most optimal ev spread + nature combo for the defensive cresselia set right now. with this ev spread + nature combination, cresselia avoids the 2hko from every special attacker in ou that isn't +3 manaphy, mega charizard-y (which 2hkos a cresselia w/ this ev spread only if it runs fire blast), or gengar. even with the reduced investment in defense, the ev spread still allows cresselia avoids the 2hko from many notable physical attacks, such as jolly mega metagross's meteor mash, adamant mega lopunny's return, and rash landorus's knock off.
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 148-175 (33.4 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 165-195 (37.2 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 169-200 (38.1 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 175-207 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

232+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 153-180 (34.5 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

240 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 111-132 (25 - 29.7%) -- 89.9% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 121-144 (27.3 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

---

16 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Cresselia: 135-160 (30.4 - 36.1%) -- 53.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Cresselia: 177-208 (39.9 - 46.9%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (this is practically a 3hko unless you get really unlucky)

4 Atk Life Orb Landorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Cresselia: 182-216 (41 - 48.7%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Life Orb Landorus Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Cresselia: 122-146 (27.5 - 32.9%) -- 83.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Cresselia: 157-186 (35.4 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

20 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Cresselia: 125-147 (28.2 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
of course, super-effective hits and boosted physical attacks will still do a ton to cresselia, but that's what teammates are for. i also think that thunderbolt is worth a mention in oo to give cresselia a way to hurt water- and flying-types on the switch. the coverage may not be as great as the slashed options and cresselia will most likely still hit like a soaked paper, but it's still something. these are just my two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: p2

p2

Banned deucer.
i did a bit of number crunching, and i feel that an ev spread of 248 hp / 40 def / 220 spdef with a calm nature is the most optimal ev spread + nature combo for the defensive cresselia set right now. with this ev spread + nature combination, cresselia avoids the 2hko from every special attacker in ou that isn't +3 manaphy, mega charizard-y (which 2hkos a cresselia w/ this ev spread only if it runs fire blast), or gengar. even with the reduced investment in defense, the ev spread still allows cresselia avoids the 2hko from many notable physical attacks, such as jolly mega metagross's meteor mash, adamant mega lopunny's return, and rash landorus's knock off.
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 148-175 (33.4 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 165-195 (37.2 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 169-200 (38.1 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 175-207 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

232+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 153-180 (34.5 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

240 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 111-132 (25 - 29.7%) -- 89.9% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Cresselia: 121-144 (27.3 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

---

16 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Cresselia: 135-160 (30.4 - 36.1%) -- 53.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Cresselia: 177-208 (39.9 - 46.9%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (this is practically a 3hko unless you get really unlucky)

4 Atk Life Orb Landorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Cresselia: 182-216 (41 - 48.7%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Life Orb Landorus Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Cresselia: 122-146 (27.5 - 32.9%) -- 83.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Cresselia: 157-186 (35.4 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

20 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Cresselia: 125-147 (28.2 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
of course, super-effective hits and boosted physical attacks will still do a ton to cresselia, but that's what teammates are for. i also think that thunderbolt is worth a mention in oo to give cresselia a way to hurt water- and flying-types on the switch. the coverage may not be as great as the slashed options and cresselia will most likely still hit like a soaked paper, but it's still something. these are just my two cents.
I really like this spread, I'll update it with this one, thanks

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
  • Typing and bulk lets it check the biggest threats in the metagame
In overviews its generally not necessary to list stuff that a pokemon checks but when Cresselia is one of the few 100% counters to Landorus I feel thats important enough to be noted here.
  • Reliable recovery in Moonlight
I don't really agree with this since 8 pp isnt all that great when compared to the likes of roost, slack off, soft boiled, and recover which all have 16 pp. Also sand is a pretty common playstyle which really hinders the capabilities of moonlight.
  • Toxic wears down threats, especially things like Keldeo, Kyurem-B, Latios and Raikou
Keldeo isnt a great target of Toxic since you're better off just hitting it with a stab move.
For the TR sets usage tips,
  • This set should only be used on Trick Room teams
This belongs in team options.

For your first time, this looks pretty solid so far.

p2

Banned deucer.
In overviews its generally not necessary to list stuff that a pokemon checks but when Cresselia is one of the few 100% counters to Landorus I feel thats important enough to be noted here.

I don't really agree with this since 8 pp isnt all that great when compared to the likes of roost, slack off, soft boiled, and recover which all have 16 pp. Also sand is a pretty common playstyle which really hinders the capabilities of moonlight.

Keldeo isnt a great target of Toxic since you're better off just hitting it with a stab move.
For the TR sets usage tips,

This belongs in team options.

For your first time, this looks pretty solid so far.
Done, idk why I put Keldeo into targets of Toxic but either way, it's fixed now

Also, it's ready for QC now

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Collective QC comment

Rocky Helmet in OO for pressuring contact attackers like M-Lopunny, M-Metagross, Tyranitar and Weavile. Expand on Team Options a bit more. You're missing stuff like Defensive Mega Altaria, Skarmory, Mega Sableye, Chesnaught, many components that you would primarily find on defensive minded teams.

On Trick Room set Lunar Dance should be slashed by itself. Mental Herb should be the main slash for item on the Trick Room variant. Moonlight can be mentioned in move details. Same deal with Psyshock on both of the sets, make a mention of them in moves but no slash so Psychic will be the primary slashes for both. Colbur Berry in set details in case team is too dark weak.

Remove Charge Beam from OO, too niche. QC 1/3 once this is all done.

p2

Banned deucer.
Collective QC comment

Rocky Helmet in OO for pressuring contact attackers like M-Lopunny, M-Metagross, Tyranitar and Weavile. Expand on Team Options a bit more. You're missing stuff like Defensive Mega Altaria, Skarmory, Mega Sableye, Chesnaught, many components that you would primarily find on defensive minded teams.

On Trick Room set Lunar Dance should be slashed by itself. Mental Herb should be the main slash for item on the Trick Room variant. Moonlight can be mentioned in move details. Same deal with Psyshock on both of the sets, make a mention of them in moves but no slash so Psychic will be the primary slashes for both. Colbur Berry in set details in case team is too dark weak.

Remove Charge Beam from OO, too niche. QC 1/3 once this is all done.
Added all of this and added Chesnaught, Skarmory, MSableye and MAltaria into Team Options

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Checks and Counters
===================
  • **Dark-Types**: Tyranitar and Bisharp put massive dents into Cresselia and Tyranitars sand makes it difficult to recover from plus Bisharp has Swords Dance and is immune to Toxic
Bisharp can actually OHKO the listed spreads after Rocks if Adamant LO (62.5%), Adamant Dread Plate (18.8%), or Jolly LO (6.3%). Band Tyranitar also OHKOs after Rocks 62.5% of the time with Crunch/Pursuit.

p2

Banned deucer.
Not sure what I should do now. Should I just tag a couple QC members so I can get 2/3 and starting writing it up? Because I kinda want to get this done and out of the way as soon as I can

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Make Mental Herb the primary slash on the TR set, it appreciates the ability to set it up vs any mon rather than the recovery lefties provides.

In team options of the TR set, remove Emboar, it's way too niche to be mentioned. Mention Mega Heracross instead, as it's a very relevant TR mon.

Mention in OO a set of Rest Talk Psycho Shift w/ Flame Orb, it's a good set on stall to pass status around while being far more durable than regular cress, even with the burn damage.

qc 2/3

p2

Banned deucer.
Make Mental Herb the primary slash on the TR set, it appreciates the ability to set it up vs any mon rather than the recovery lefties provides.

In team options of the TR set, remove Emboar, it's way too niche to be mentioned. Mention Mega Heracross instead, as it's a very relevant TR mon.

Mention in OO a set of Rest Talk Psycho Shift w/ Flame Orb, it's a good set on stall to pass status around while being far more durable than regular cress, even with the burn damage.

qc 2/3
Added all of this, I'll start writing this up as soon as I can

p2

Banned deucer.
What's happening with this? Should I just leave until the Landorus suspect is over or not? Anyway if it's not going to get left until the test is over, anybody else in QC mind giving this a check? I think the Trick Room set is lacking, but I'll leave it up to QC.

fleggumfl said:
Calm Mind users like Gengar or Clefable
I guess no need to say why it should be removed.

You should mention Heal Bell / Aromatherapy user for the status issue (Defensive set).
Then remove the flame orb part in OO, i got what TDK meant but it's pointless, with all those knock off users around it will be hard to keep Flame orb and don't make Psycho Shift an useless move, then skill swap + toxic can almost do same thing while not losing coverage, however you can keep Rest + Sleep Talk.

I'd suggest to add Calm Mind as OO, it used to be a really good set in UU and i don't see why it couldnt be same in OU as it has pretty good physical bulk and allows it to not being passive against defensive pokemons.

3/3 after that

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
I guess no need to say why it should be removed.

You should mention Heal Bell / Aromatherapy user for the status issue (Defensive set).
Then remove the flame orb part in OO for TR set, i got what TDK meant but it's pointless, with all those knock off users around it will be hard to keep Flame orb and don't make Psycho Shift an useless move, then skill swap + toxic can almost do same thing while not losing coverage, however you can keep Rest + Sleep Talk.

I'd suggest to add Calm Mind as OO, it used to be a really good set in UU and i don't see why it couldnt be same in OU as it has pretty good physical bulk and allows it to not being passive against defensive pokemons.

3/3 after that
The Gengar bit was implying it's a more specially defensive mon than physically defensive since I did mention them respectively, but sure I might aswell remove it anyway since it doesn't make a big difference at all. I replaced it with AV Azu + AV Conk and worded it a bit better.
I added Heal Bell / Aromatherapy into Chansey and Clefable in Team Options and done the rest.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
I tried my hand at my first amcheck.

Additions

Removals

[Comments]

[OVERVIEW]

Cresselia boasts fantastic bulk, coupled with a solid support movepool and Levitate, which allows it to check the biggest threats in the OU metagame while also being one of very few pokemon that can completely hard counter Landorus, one of the most potent wallbreakers in the tier. Its typing and ability provide a very useful resistance to Fighting-type moves and an immunity to Ground-type moves. Cresselia also has access to Moonlight, which is fairly reliable but is held back by its very low PP and the current prevalence of Sand in OU. Despite having titanic defenses, Cresselia is very weak offensively, which leaves it relying on Toxic to deal any real damage, and its Psychic-type leaves it very weak to Dark-, Ghost- and Bug-type moves.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonlight is absolutely necessary on Cresselia as it needs the recovery to consistently handle threats like Landorus, Thundurus and Keldeo. However, Moonlight is cut from 50% healing to 33% in Rain or Sand. Psychic deals more damage to more Physically physically defensive pokemon Pokemon like such as Gyarados, Hippowdon and Mega Lopunny, (AC) while Psyshock allows Cresselia to do more damage to Calm Mind users like Clefable or pokemon Pokemon that are more Specially defensive like have more Special Defense such as Assault Vest Conkeldurr and Assault Vest Azumarill. Ice Beam allows Cresselia to 2HKO pokemon like Pokemon such as Landorus or and Thundurus, while also getting doing a large amount of damage off onto Gliscor, Garchomp, (AC) and Dragonite. Thunder Wave is used to cripple pokemon Pokemon that commonly switch into Cresselia such as Scarf Tyranitar, Bisharp or Fast fast Bug-types like such as Scolipede or and Mega Beedrill, while Toxic can be used to wear down more defensive pokemon like Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Rotom-W, Raikou, (AC) or and Unaware Clefable. Skill Swap is a very solid move on Cresselia as it allows it to beat pokemon Pokemon that are very reliant on their abilities, some examples being Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie, which both lose Magic Bounce, (AC) which allows allowing Cresselia to wear them down with Toxic. Clefable and Gliscor also don't appreciate losing their abilities as Calm Mind Clefable cannot take on Cresselia due to Toxic damage and Gliscor loses Poison Heal, which removes its very [Subjective change, felt like you used "very" too often] useful passive recovery.

Set Details
========

A Calm nature allows Cresselia to take on the most powerful special attackers in the tier outside of a few examples; (AC) being outside of Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast, Life Orb Gengar, (AC) and Tail Glow Manaphy, it avoids a 2HKO from every special attackerthing but them . Despite the low Physical physical defense Defense investment, Cresselia can still handle the more powerful physical attackers in the tier, being able to avoid the 2HKO from Adamant Mega Lopunny, Jolly Mega Metagross and Rash Landorus's Knock Off. Leftovers provides passive recovery for Cresselia which lets it avoid being 2HKOs 2HKOed from some by certain pokemon Pokemon, while using 0 Attack IVs minimize the damage Cresselia takes from Confusion or Foul Play.

Usage Tips
========

Cresselia should be used to check and cripple powerful attackers in OU, these include such as Landorus-T, Mega Metagross and Mega Lopunny on the physical side, while it can handle Keldeo, Landorus, Thundurus, Tornadus-T and plenty of more threats on the special side. It's [Add apostrophe] one of two pokemon Pokemon, the other being Mega Latias, that can fully hard counter [Doesn't "fully hard counter" seem like a redundancy?] Landorus, even Calm Mind variants. This is really useful as Landorus can destroy Stall or very Bulky Balance teams lacking Cresselia or Latias. Cresselia should also be used to spread status and cripple things, (AC) such as using Toxic on pokemon Pokemon that are very prone to being worn down, including such as Hippowdon, Rotom-W, Raikou, (AC) or and Zapdos.

Team Options
========

Cresselia only fits on Stall or Semi-Stall teams as it is too passive to be used on an offensive team. Cresselia likes having teammates that can absorb status or Heal Bell / Aromatherapy users, such as Chansey or Magic Guard Clefable, (AC) because Cresselia has no way to remove status without team support and so due to this, is very weak to status. Other teammates include Quagsire or Unaware Clefable, (AC) because as Cresselia is very easy to take advantage of and set up ["set up" the verb, not "setup" the adjective]on, more specifically by pokemon like Pokemon such as Bisharp or and Mega Scizor,. [Remove comma, add period] Unaware allows Quagsire and Clefable to ignore stat changes, which means Bisharp and Mega Scizor are completely countered by Quagsire. Quagsire is more preferable for this as Bisharp and Scizor have very powerful Steel-type STAB moves which can ruin Clefable, even if it is has Unaware. Chesnaught is another option for a teammate, (AC) as because [Subjective change] it is a solid counter to Bisharp and Tyranitar, while getting it can get chip damage on pokemon Pokemon with Leech Seed, and its has access to Roar and Spikes which allows it Chesnaught to deter setting up and switching, respectively. Mega Sableye threatens pokemon Pokemon that can try to set up ["set up", not "setup"] hazards or status Cresselia, (AC) such as Ferrothorn. Defensive Mega Altaria is also a good teammate for Cresselia as it can handle both Mega Charizards X and Mega Charizard Y, which can break past Cresselia fairly easily, (AC) and it while also beats beating opposing Mega Sableye if Cresselia isn't running Skill Swap.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick Room is the most important move of this set as it allows slower pokemon Pokemon to move first while faster ones move last. This can turn slow, (AC) powerful wallbreakers into potent, (AC) fast [Swapping potent and fast around might sound better] sweepers. Psychic acts as a STAB move and hits pokemon Pokemon that are weak to Psychic-type moves such as Gengar, Mega Lopunny, (AC) and Terrakion, (AC) while Psyshock can be used to hit pokemon Pokemon with a higher Special Defense stat. Ice Beam is for pokemon like Pokemon such as Landorus, Thundurus, (AC) and others like Garchomp, (AC) or and Dragonite, (AC) as Cresselia can handle all of these pokemon Pokemon easily. Lunar Dance allows Cresselia to completely heal a teammate, including their PP, though it causes Cresselia to faint.

Set Details
========

A Sassy nature with 0 IVs makes Cresselia as slow as possible so it can move quickly under Trick Room. (AP) while Mental Herb is run to guarantee that it can setup Trick Room at least once a game, (AC) while Leftovers can be run for additional recovery. (AP) 0 Attack IVs should be run as it minimizes the damage Cresselia takes from Confusion or Foul Play. Colbur Berry can be run to weaken damage from Dark-type moves as Trick Room teams can stack a Dark-type weakness very easily. The EV spread allows it to avoid being 2HKOed by the most powerful special attacks in the tier, (AC) apart from Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast, boosted Manaphy at +3 SpA from Tail Glow, (AC) and Life Orb Gengar, while also being able to handle powerful physical attackers such as Mega Metagross, Mega Lopunny, (AC) and Landorus-T.

Usage Tips
========

Lead with Cresselia to setup Trick Room as soon as possible, as this allows your team to grab momentum, especially against fast offensive teams. Try to preserve Cresselia until the late-game, where it can set Trick Room again, (AC) as it is guaranteed to end and use Lunar Dance to completely heal one of your Trick Room sweepers to clean up your opponent's [Add apostrophe] team.

Team Options
========

This set should only be used on Trick Room team with slow, (AC) powerful wallbreakers like Mega Heracross, Mega Camerupt, Azumarill, (AC) and Crawdaunt, (AC) along with secondary Trick Room setters like Porygon2, Slowbro, (AC) or and Diancie. Porygon2 is a very bulky setter, but is very passive like Cresselia and is very weak to Knock Off due to its reliance on Eviolite. Slowbro has access to Regenerator and Oblivious which means it can constantly pivot into and out of moves to stay healthy, (AC) while and Oblivious gives it an immunity to Taunt so it can set up ["set up, not setup"] Trick Room very easily. Diancie is an very effective Trick Room setter as well, (AC) ["as well, not "aswell"]due to it being one of the few viable Trick Room setters that can set up Stealth Rock and can also beat Talonflame, which is a very big issue for Trick Room teams due to its practically ignoring Trick Room due to its powerful priority courtesy of its ability. Bisharp and Talonflame are other pokemon Pokemon that can work in and outside of Trick Room, which is very useful because Trick Room won't be up the entire game. They are usable in Trick Room because they have access to very powerful priority moves.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Hidden Power Fire can be used to deal damage to Steel-types like such as Ferrothorn or and Scizor who can set up ["set up", not "setup"] on Cresselia. If you run Hidden Power Fire, an IV spread of 0 Atk / 30 Spa / 30 Spe is recommended. Cresselia can be used for Dual Screens, which provides its teammates with easier setup opportunities. Rocky Helmet can be used to punish physical attackers such as Tyranitar, Scizor, Mega Lopunny and Mega Metagross. Cresselia can use Rest + Sleep Talk as an alternate form of recovery, but uses up two moveslots instead of one. Cresselia can run Calm Mind sets, but is generally outclassed by other Calm Mind users in the tier or others pokemon like such as Reuniclus or and Clefable. (AP)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magic Guard and Magic Bounce**: Pokemon with Magic Bounce and Magic Guard can easily set up ["set up", not "setup"]on Cresselia if it lacks Skill Swap. (AP)

**Weather**: Rain and Sand reduces Moonlight's [Add apostrophe] recovery from 50% down to 33%, (AC) which makes Cresselia much easier to wear down. (AP)

**Dark-Types types**: Bisharp, Weavile, (AC) and Choice Band Tyranitar do massive amounts of Cresselia and can usually OHKO after 2 round of Stealth Rock damage. (AP)

**Bug-Types types**: Bug-types like Scizor, Mega Beedrill, Scolipede, (AC) and Mega Heracross can deal massive damage to Cresselia. (AP)

**Status**: Cresselia cannot recover from status without team support and so thus is severely crippled by being poisoned or burned a common target for Toxic or Burns. (AP)

**Taunt**: Cresselia has really weak offenses, (AC) so it can be taken advantage of by common Taunt users like Mew or Heatran. (AP)

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not a bad check TheEpicBro; glancing through some problems I'm seeing are a lack of serial commas (the commas that come before the final item in a list) and capitalized weather effects. The changes were mostly good though.

Consider this 1/2

p2

Banned deucer.
I tried my hand at my first amcheck.

Additions

Removals

[Comments]

[OVERVIEW]

Cresselia boasts fantastic bulk, coupled with a solid support movepool and Levitate, which allows it to check the biggest threats in the OU metagame while also being one of very few pokemon that can completely hard counter Landorus, one of the most potent wallbreakers in the tier. Its typing and ability provide a very useful resistance to Fighting-type moves and an immunity to Ground-type moves. Cresselia also has access to Moonlight, which is fairly reliable but is held back by its very low PP and the current prevalence of Sand in OU. Despite having titanic defenses, Cresselia is very weak offensively, which leaves it relying on Toxic to deal any real damage, and its Psychic-type leaves it very weak to Dark-, Ghost- and Bug-type moves.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonlight is absolutely necessary on Cresselia as it needs the recovery to consistently handle threats like Landorus, Thundurus and Keldeo. However, Moonlight is cut from 50% healing to 33% in Rain or Sand. Psychic deals more damage to more Physically physically defensive pokemon Pokemon like such as Gyarados, Hippowdon and Mega Lopunny, (AC) while Psyshock allows Cresselia to do more damage to Calm Mind users like Clefable or pokemon Pokemon that are more Specially defensive like have more Special Defense such as Assault Vest Conkeldurr and Assault Vest Azumarill. Ice Beam allows Cresselia to 2HKO pokemon like Pokemon such as Landorus or and Thundurus, while also getting doing a large amount of damage off onto Gliscor, Garchomp, (AC) and Dragonite. Thunder Wave is used to cripple pokemon Pokemon that commonly switch into Cresselia such as Scarf Tyranitar, Bisharp or Fast fast Bug-types like such as Scolipede or and Mega Beedrill, while Toxic can be used to wear down more defensive pokemon like Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Rotom-W, Raikou, (AC) or and Unaware Clefable. Skill Swap is a very solid move on Cresselia as it allows it to beat pokemon Pokemon that are very reliant on their abilities, some examples being Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie, which both lose Magic Bounce, (AC) which allows allowing Cresselia to wear them down with Toxic. Clefable and Gliscor also don't appreciate losing their abilities as Calm Mind Clefable cannot take on Cresselia due to Toxic damage and Gliscor loses Poison Heal, which removes its very [Subjective change, felt like you used "very" too often] useful passive recovery.

Set Details
========

A Calm nature allows Cresselia to take on the most powerful special attackers in the tier outside of a few examples; (AC) being outside of Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast, Life Orb Gengar, (AC) and Tail Glow Manaphy, it avoids a 2HKO from every special attackerthing but them . Despite the low Physical physical defense Defense investment, Cresselia can still handle the more powerful physical attackers in the tier, being able to avoid the 2HKO from Adamant Mega Lopunny, Jolly Mega Metagross and Rash Landorus's Knock Off. Leftovers provides passive recovery for Cresselia which lets it avoid being 2HKOs 2HKOed from some by certain pokemon Pokemon, while using 0 Attack IVs minimize the damage Cresselia takes from Confusion or Foul Play.

Usage Tips
========

Cresselia should be used to check and cripple powerful attackers in OU, these include such as Landorus-T, Mega Metagross and Mega Lopunny on the physical side, while it can handle Keldeo, Landorus, Thundurus, Tornadus-T and plenty of more threats on the special side. It's [Add apostrophe] one of two pokemon Pokemon, the other being Mega Latias, that can fully hard counter [Doesn't "fully hard counter" seem like a redundancy?] Landorus, even Calm Mind variants. This is really useful as Landorus can destroy Stall or very Bulky Balance teams lacking Cresselia or Latias. Cresselia should also be used to spread status and cripple things, (AC) such as using Toxic on pokemon Pokemon that are very prone to being worn down, including such as Hippowdon, Rotom-W, Raikou, (AC) or and Zapdos.

Team Options
========

Cresselia only fits on Stall or Semi-Stall teams as it is too passive to be used on an offensive team. Cresselia likes having teammates that can absorb status or Heal Bell / Aromatherapy users, such as Chansey or Magic Guard Clefable, (AC) because Cresselia has no way to remove status without team support and so due to this, is very weak to status. Other teammates include Quagsire or Unaware Clefable, (AC) because as Cresselia is very easy to take advantage of and set up ["set up" the verb, not "setup" the adjective]on, more specifically by pokemon like Pokemon such as Bisharp or and Mega Scizor,. [Remove comma, add period] Unaware allows Quagsire and Clefable to ignore stat changes, which means Bisharp and Mega Scizor are completely countered by Quagsire. Quagsire is more preferable for this as Bisharp and Scizor have very powerful Steel-type STAB moves which can ruin Clefable, even if it is has Unaware. Chesnaught is another option for a teammate, (AC) as because [Subjective change] it is a solid counter to Bisharp and Tyranitar, while getting it can get chip damage on pokemon Pokemon with Leech Seed, and its has access to Roar and Spikes which allows it Chesnaught to deter setting up and switching, respectively. Mega Sableye threatens pokemon Pokemon that can try to set up ["set up", not "setup"] hazards or status Cresselia, (AC) such as Ferrothorn. Defensive Mega Altaria is also a good teammate for Cresselia as it can handle both Mega Charizards X and Mega Charizard Y, which can break past Cresselia fairly easily, (AC) and it while also beats beating opposing Mega Sableye if Cresselia isn't running Skill Swap.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Trick Room is the most important move of this set as it allows slower pokemon Pokemon to move first while faster ones move last. This can turn slow, (AC) powerful wallbreakers into potent, (AC) fast [Swapping potent and fast around might sound better] sweepers. Psychic acts as a STAB move and hits pokemon Pokemon that are weak to Psychic-type moves such as Gengar, Mega Lopunny, (AC) and Terrakion, (AC) while Psyshock can be used to hit pokemon Pokemon with a higher Special Defense stat. Ice Beam is for pokemon like Pokemon such as Landorus, Thundurus, (AC) and others like Garchomp, (AC) or and Dragonite, (AC) as Cresselia can handle all of these pokemon Pokemon easily. Lunar Dance allows Cresselia to completely heal a teammate, including their PP, though it causes Cresselia to faint.

Set Details
========

A Sassy nature with 0 IVs makes Cresselia as slow as possible so it can move quickly under Trick Room. (AP) while Mental Herb is run to guarantee that it can setup Trick Room at least once a game, (AC) while Leftovers can be run for additional recovery. (AP) 0 Attack IVs should be run as it minimizes the damage Cresselia takes from Confusion or Foul Play. Colbur Berry can be run to weaken damage from Dark-type moves as Trick Room teams can stack a Dark-type weakness very easily. The EV spread allows it to avoid being 2HKOed by the most powerful special attacks in the tier, (AC) apart from Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast, boosted Manaphy at +3 SpA from Tail Glow, (AC) and Life Orb Gengar, while also being able to handle powerful physical attackers such as Mega Metagross, Mega Lopunny, (AC) and Landorus-T.

Usage Tips
========

Lead with Cresselia to setup Trick Room as soon as possible, as this allows your team to grab momentum, especially against fast offensive teams. Try to preserve Cresselia until the late-game, where it can set Trick Room again, (AC) as it is guaranteed to end and use Lunar Dance to completely heal one of your Trick Room sweepers to clean up your opponent's [Add apostrophe] team.

Team Options
========

This set should only be used on Trick Room team with slow, (AC) powerful wallbreakers like Mega Heracross, Mega Camerupt, Azumarill, (AC) and Crawdaunt, (AC) along with secondary Trick Room setters like Porygon2, Slowbro, (AC) or and Diancie. Porygon2 is a very bulky setter, but is very passive like Cresselia and is very weak to Knock Off due to its reliance on Eviolite. Slowbro has access to Regenerator and Oblivious which means it can constantly pivot into and out of moves to stay healthy, (AC) while and Oblivious gives it an immunity to Taunt so it can set up ["set up, not setup"] Trick Room very easily. Diancie is an very effective Trick Room setter as well, (AC) ["as well, not "aswell"]due to it being one of the few viable Trick Room setters that can set up Stealth Rock and can also beat Talonflame, which is a very big issue for Trick Room teams due to its practically ignoring Trick Room due to its powerful priority courtesy of its ability. Bisharp and Talonflame are other pokemon Pokemon that can work in and outside of Trick Room, which is very useful because Trick Room won't be up the entire game. They are usable in Trick Room because they have access to very powerful priority moves.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Hidden Power Fire can be used to deal damage to Steel-types like such as Ferrothorn or and Scizor who can set up ["set up", not "setup"] on Cresselia. If you run Hidden Power Fire, an IV spread of 0 Atk / 30 Spa / 30 Spe is recommended. Cresselia can be used for Dual Screens, which provides its teammates with easier setup opportunities. Rocky Helmet can be used to punish physical attackers such as Tyranitar, Scizor, Mega Lopunny and Mega Metagross. Cresselia can use Rest + Sleep Talk as an alternate form of recovery, but uses up two moveslots instead of one. Cresselia can run Calm Mind sets, but is generally outclassed by other Calm Mind users in the tier or others pokemon like such as Reuniclus or and Clefable. (AP)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magic Guard and Magic Bounce**: Pokemon with Magic Bounce and Magic Guard can easily set up ["set up", not "setup"]on Cresselia if it lacks Skill Swap. (AP)

**Weather**: Rain and Sand reduces Moonlight's [Add apostrophe] recovery from 50% down to 33%, (AC) which makes Cresselia much easier to wear down. (AP)

**Dark-Types types**: Bisharp, Weavile, (AC) and Choice Band Tyranitar do massive amounts of Cresselia and can usually OHKO after 2 round of Stealth Rock damage. (AP)

**Bug-Types types**: Bug-types like Scizor, Mega Beedrill, Scolipede, (AC) and Mega Heracross can deal massive damage to Cresselia. (AP)

**Status**: Cresselia cannot recover from status without team support and so thus is severely crippled by being poisoned or burned a common target for Toxic or Burns. (AP)

**Taunt**: Cresselia has really weak offenses, (AC) so it can be taken advantage of by common Taunt users like Mew or Heatran. (AP)
Not a bad check TheEpicBro; glancing through some problems I'm seeing are a lack of serial commas (the commas that come before the final item in a list) and capitalized weather effects. The changes were mostly good though.

Consider this 1/2
implemented all this :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)