Stratagem

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Taken over from the late DarkSlay

Stratagem

QC: 3/3 (HeaLnDeaL, sparktrain, HeaLnDeaL)
GP: 2/2 (P Squared, GatoDelFuego)

[OVERVIEW]

With great Special Attack and Speed and a wide array of coverage moves, Stratagem is a fearsome attacker in the CAP metagame. Its Rock typing combined with its power allows it to shut down staples of hyper offense teams, such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and Kyurem-B. The ability for Stratagem to land super effective hits on its would-be checks such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Heatran is a godsend to its sweeping capabilities. Most importantly, Stratagem's blistering base 130 Speed allows it to outspeed almost the entire CAP metagame, making it a perfect choice for a late-game cleaner. Alternatively, Stratagem can set up with Calm Mind to become a great mid-game wallbreaker. However, Stratagem is fairly frail and possesses a below-average defensive typing, so it is hard-pressed to switch into opposing offensive pressure. A Rock typing might be perfect for offense, but it also gives Stratagem crippling weaknesses to a myriad of priority attacks, such as Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Bullet Punch. Stratagem also falls flat in the face of stall, as its base 120 Special Attack is not quite enough to break down dedicated special walls. Stratagem's lack of Taunt means that even its Calm Mind set has trouble breaking stall.

[SET]
name: Technician Abuse
move 1: Ancient Power
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Vacuum Wave
move 4: Hidden Power Flying / Fire Blast / Energy Ball
ability: Technician
item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ancient Power is Stratagem's reliable STAB attack that is boosted to 90 Base Power with Technician. Its chance to raise all of Stratagem's stats at once can give Stratagem the ability to muscle past its checks more easily as well. Earth Power hits Mollux, Heatran, and Cyclohm for super effective damage and gives Stratagem the coveted offensive combination of Rock and Ground. Vacuum Wave allows Stratagem to pick off opposing priority attackers and Choice Scarf users, such as Cawmodore and Terrakion, respectively. Moreover, Technician boosts the Base Power of Vacuum Wave to 60, making it a decently powerful priority move. Hidden Power Flying is boosted to 90 Base Power by Technician and allows Stratagem to hit Mega Venusaur and Tomohawk hard; do not use Hidden Power Psychic, as it lowers Stratagem's Speed IV to 30. Fire Blast provides strong coverage against Steel- and Grass-types such as Mega Scizor and Necturna, respectively, while Energy Ball is used to hit bulky Water- and Ground-types such as Arghonaut and Colossoil, respectively.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Speed and Special Attack allows Stratagem to hit as quickly and as hard as possible. A Timid nature allows Stratagem to outspeed Pokemon with more than base 120 Speed, particularly Talonflame and Syclant. Life Orb is the best option to boost Stratagem's offensive power while giving it the freedom to change moves. Choice Specs allows Stratagem to hit harder, but being locked into a single move can easily allow a tank to switch in and force Stratagem out. Technician raises the power of Stratagem's Ancient Power and its specific coverage moves in Hidden Power Flying and Vacuum Wave.

Usage Tips
========

This set functions very well as a late-game cleaner and revenge killer due to Stratagem's high Speed and the lack of a boosting move on this set. Bring Stratagem into the battlefield on free switches whenever possible, as even resisted hits take away a decent amount of its health. Additionally, be sure to significantly weaken opposing special walls before bringing in Stratagem, as Stratagem is not a very good wallbreaker.

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types such as Necturna and Mega Venusaur resist the Water-type moves that Stratagem is weak to; they also sport resistances to Fighting by virtue of their secondary types. Flying-types such as Tomohawk can easily switch into the Ground-type moves that Stratagem lures in. This is important because this Stratagem set lacks Levitate. Slow U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Scizor and Rotom-W can bring Stratagem into the battlefield safely. Entry hazard support from the likes of Landorus-T and Heatran allows Stratagem to break stall more easily and land some KOs that it normally would not. For example, Choice Specs Stratagem will OHKO Tomohawk with Hidden Power Flying after Stealth Rock damage. Gothitelle can trap and KO special walls such as Chansey, while Magnezone can trap Steel-types if Stratagem lacks Fire-type coverage. Physical attackers such as Mega Metagross and Dragon Dance Aurumoth can break down the special walls that give Stratagem a hard time sweeping.

[SET]
name: Levitate Attacker
move 1: Paleo Wave
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Energy Ball
ability: Levitate

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Paleo Wave is a reliable STAB attack that hits Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, and Syclant for massive damage. Earth Power gives Stratagem a fighting chance against Mollux, Heatran, and Cyclohm while providing vast neutral coverage alongside Paleo Wave. Fire Blast hits Steel- and Grass-types, such as Mega Scizor, Kitsunoh, Cawmodore, Ferrothorn, and Necturna, for massive damage. Energy Ball hits bulky Ground- and Water-types super effectively, such as Colossoil, Mega Gyarados, Arghonaut, Krilowatt, and Rotom-W.

Set Details
========

Stratagem needs full investment in its Special Attack and Speed in order to become as powerful and as fast as possible. A Timid nature is necessary to get the jump on Pokemon with more than base 120 Speed. Life Orb boosts the power of Stratagem's moves while allowing Stratagem to freely change attacks. On the other hand, Choice Specs grants Stratagem more power and does not inflict recoil damage; however, a foe that walls Stratagem can switch in easily and force Stratagem out. Levitate allows Stratagem to switch into Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and stray Ground-type moves, lessening the amount of team support it needs.

Usage Tips
========

Be sure to take advantage of Levitate granting Stratagem immunity to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Ground-type attacks. This allows Stratagem to switch into battle much more easily than it normally would. However, be careful for coverage moves that Ground-type attackers might be carrying, such as Superpower from Landorus-T. As this Stratagem lacks Vacuum Wave, take caution if the opponent's priority attackers are still healthy. Even without priority, however, Stratagem still functions as a great late-game cleaner and revenge killer due to its high Speed.

Team Options
========

Stratagem is a great stand-alone Pokemon, so it can mesh well with nearly any offensive team. It has great defensive synergy with Necturna and Mollux because they can take the Fighting-, Water-, Grass-, and Steel-type attacks that take a large chunk out of Stratagem's health. Necturna in particular can provide Sticky Web support, helping against Choice Scarf users and naturally faster Pokemon such as Mega Sceptile. Stratagem should also be paired with a physical attacker in order to prevent special walls from dominating your team. In particular, Colossoil and Cawmodore make for great checks to Chansey and Sylveon, respectively. Entry hazard support from the likes of Tomohawk and Heatran allows Stratagem to have an easier time landing KOs. Trappers such as Gothitelle and Magnezone can remove opposing threats to Stratagem; Gothitelle can cripple special walls with Trick, while Magnezone takes on the Steel-types that resist Stratagem's Paleo Wave.

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Paleo Wave
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Fire Blast / Energy Ball / Giga Drain
item: Leftovers / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind raises Stratagem's Special Attack to high levels and its Special Defense to decent levels, turning it from a revenge killer into a bulky wallbreaker. Paleo Wave should be used over Ancient Power as a STAB attack because this Stratagem lacks Technician. Earth Power breaks down Mollux and Heatran, two would-be special walls that don't mind taking a Paleo Wave. Fire Blast can be used in the last slot to heavily damage Grass-types and Steel-types neutral to Ground, such as Necturna and Mega Scizor, respectively. Energy Ball breaks down Arghonaut, Mega Gyarados, Colossoil, and Rotom-W; alternatively, Giga Drain is an option if you opt to run Life Orb, as it heals off some of the Life Orb recoil and allows Stratagem to break walls longer. Substitute can also be used to give Stratagem a shield against weaker special attacks and status moves, thus allowing it to break stall; however, Stratagem usually prefers extra coverage.

Set Details
========

With maximum investment in Special Attack and Speed, Stratagem hits as hard and as fast as possible. A Timid nature is necessary to get the jump on Pokemon with more than base 120 Speed. Leftovers promotes longevity by keeping Stratagem healthy, allowing it to use Calm Mind multiple times throughout the match. Life Orb is an option to boost Stratagem's offensive power, though Stratagem forgoes quite a bit of its durability because of the resulting recoil damage. Levitate allows Stratagem to switch into Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and stray Ground-type moves easily.

Usage Tips
========

Though Stratagem seems extremely frail due to its poor defensive typing, it actually has a decent HP stat. This set takes advantage of Stratagem's decent HP by allowing Stratagem to function as a mid-game wallbreaker in addition to a late-game cleaner. Despite the ability to set up, Stratagem often needs several Calm Mind boosts to be able to break down dedicated special walls effectively. Moreover, finding the right setup bait can be tricky due to Stratagem's poor defensive typing and iffy bulk. Passive, defensive Pokemon as well as Pokemon Choice-locked into moves that Stratagem resists are Stratagem's best options for setup.

Team Options
========

Stratagem needs a lot of support from its teammates if it wants to find setup opportunities. Physical tanks such as Tomohawk can handle the physical attackers that Stratagem cannot set up on. Sand support from Tyranitar increases Stratagem's Special Defense, thus allowing it to take special attacks more easily as it sets up. Tyranitar can also Pursuit trap specially bulky Pokemon, particularly Latios, Latias, and Gothitelle. Stealth Rock users such as Pyroak and Landorus-T will wear down foes with passive damage, giving Stratagem an easier time sweeping. Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Colossoil can remove Assault Vests from the likes of Arghonaut, Azumarill, and Conkeldurr. Grass-types such as Necturna and Breloom appreciate Stratagem's ability to beat Fire-types, particularly Heatran, Talonflame, Mollux, and Mega Charizard X and Y. In addition, Necturna can take the Water-, Fighting-, and Grass-type attacks aimed at Stratagem. Gothitelle can trap dedicated special walls, particularly Chansey and Sylveon, and cripple them with Trick, thus paving the way for Stratagem to attempt a sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast if reliability is desired over power. Hidden Power Ice will hit Garchomp and Landorus, as well as Tomohawk before it uses Roost, for massive damage. Trick is an option if Stratagem is holding Choice Specs, as the move will cripple defensive threats such as Chansey and Tomohawk. Focus Sash allows Stratagem to survive a single powerful attack, such as Hydro Pump from Rotom-W or Bullet Punch from a Cawmodore that has used Belly Drum. Shadow Ball and Ominous Wind provide Ghost-type coverage to hit Mega Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Latios, and Latias for decent damage, but Stratagem is already hard-pressed to fit all of its coverage moves on one set. Stealth Rock can be an option due to Stratagem's high Speed, but Stratagem has better things to do than to act as a suicide lead. Moreover, Stratagem's below-average bulk means that it will struggle to set up Stealth Rock more than once per game. Babiri Berry allows Stratagem to survive a Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and subsequently OHKO Mega Scizor with Fire Blast.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Walls**: Dedicated special walls such as Chansey and Sylveon can switch into any attack that Stratagem has, forcing it out and crippling its team's momentum.

**Assault Vest Users**: Colossoil, Azumarill, Arghonaut, and Conkeldurr can use Assault Vest to soften Stratagem's super effective attacks, allowing them to switch in and hit Stratagem super effectively right back.

**Bulky Attackers**: Bulky, powerful Pokemon such as Tomohawk and Necturna can check Stratagem by surviving a super effective attack and OHKOing Stratagem in return because of its low bulk. However, most bulky attackers have trouble switching into a super effective attack from Stratagem without the aid of Assault Vest.

**Priority Attacks**: Stratagem's defensive typing leaves it very vulnerable to priority attacks such as Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, and Mach Punch.

**Super Effective Moves**: Because Stratagem is not that bulky, super effective attacks will often OHKO or 2HKO it.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I'm just going to make a few quick comments based on my initial scan of this. Some of these are extremely nitpicking, some aren't.

-In the overview, you say that Strat has "below-average 90 / 65 / 70 bulk." While it's true that 65 / 70 are below average defenses, Strategem actually has pretty good HP. The main things that makes Strategem frail isn't really it's stats, moreso it's weakness to priority, typing, and possible life orb recoil (which you touched on these already for the most part). If you want to say below average defenses, then I'd be fine with that. Both once you factor the HP in, Strategem really isn't that frail of a sweeper in terms of stats (bulkier than Greninja, etc).

-I somewhat disagree with the last bullet in the overview. Having two great abilities makes him a tiny bit unpredictable, after all. You could instead say something more like that Strategem is "stopped by common special walls" or something to that affect.

-You named the first set Special Attacker. Really, all Strategems are Special Attackers, so I think a new name needs to given. You could just call it Offensive Levitate, or maybe something rhyming like Levitation Creation, or anything in between really...

-Flamethrower probably should be put into OO. I personally never run Fire Blast because missing with Strategem can be huge (if it doesn't hit and KO, Strat has a good chance of being hit and getting KOed itself). It also might be worth running some calcs to see the significant difference between Fire Blast and Flamethrower.

-I would consider making a third Calm Mind set, as risking a turn to set up plays quite differently than the hit and run nature of the other two sets.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Agreeing with HeaL on much of what he said. Calm Mind is actually a pretty nice set, and I wouldn't mind seeing it get its own set here.

One other thing I'd mention is that it pairs very well with Tyranitar. As HeaL mentioned its bulk is actually fairly decent for a sweeper, thanks to that nice HP, and with Sand Support, it can easily tank a special hit or two. This is extra noticeable on a CM set, where it can even help it take down Tomohawk that carry Aura Sphere sometimes. Unfortunately, the limited duration of sand prevents you from having super easy set up like it may have had in past generations. Beyond Sand, Tyranitar can threaten Special walls that annoy Stratagem, potentially pursuit trapping as well. Unfortunately, it can't handle many of the Assault Vest users, but dedicated special walls will usually have to flee from it. Hippowdon is also cool, but I don't have anything special to say about it beyond Sand is nice.

I don't know if I am alone on this, but i don't run Fire Blast on my strata with tech. I like to have both hidden power and Vacuum wave on Strata
Why is Paleo slashed on the tech set? It has less power than ancientpower. PP probably never comes into play since technician strata doesnt last long anyways.

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if I am alone on this, but i don't run Fire Blast on my strata with tech. I like to have both hidden power and Vacuum wave on Strata
Why is Paleo slashed on the tech set? It has less power than ancientpower. PP probably never comes into play since technician strata doesnt last long anyways.
Let's see what the QC guys think; I think I could definitely slash it.

Also, ever been in a war against a Tomohawk without Aura Sphere, while you yourself lack HP Flying? I have, hence why I slashed it.

I hardly ever use Stratagem, but in the few cases where I did, I usually run vacuum wave on it (even with Levitate). Vaccuum Wave gives it a form of priority, meaning that you can outspeed other priority users as well as dodge Colo's Sucker Punch, at the price of some coverage. I was thinking it deserves a mention as an alternative in Set Details at least, what do you guys think?

Babiri Berry should get a mention in OO; it screws over Mega Scizor that may try to revenge kill it since it's guaranteed to live a Bullet Punch and KO back with Fire Blast.

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Babiri Berry Gigalith: 169-201 (52.4 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Empress

Babiri Berry should get a mention in OO; it screws over Mega Scizor that may try to revenge kill it since it's guaranteed to live a Bullet Punch and KO back with Fire Blast.

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Babiri Berry Gigalith: 169-201 (52.4 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Did that.

As a general comment, focus more heavily on offensive synergy in team options as opposed to defensive synergy.

Technician Attacker
- Add slower U-turn/Volt Switch users such as Scizor, Colossoil, Rotom-W, etc to help Stratagem get in safely and start hitting stuff.
- Stratagem is godly vs. opposing offensive teams, but since it has no pivoting moves of its own, it struggles to do much to stall teams without the proper support. Mention entry hazard setters as teammates to help wear down stall (Stealth Rock users such as Tomohawk, Pyroak, Heatran, etc. Spike setters are also useful to break Syclant's sash)
- Mention trappers such as Gothitelle and Magnezone to help remove Stratagem's checks and counters. Gothitelle can cripple walls such as Chansey with Trick, and has respectable coverage to deal with several other walls, making it much easier for Stratagem to clean up late game. Magnezone can also be used as it traps Scizor much more reliably than Gothitelle, which is incredibly helpful to Stratagem (as well as other Steel-types if Stratagem isn't running fire coverage).
- Strong physical attackers can help break past the special walls that trouble Stratagem. These attackers include Mega Metagross, Colossoil (gives pursuit support as well), DD Aurumoth (bonus for unpredictability), Tyranitar (pursuit+sand), Mega Gyarados (easily handles bullet punch/aqua jet etc and sets up DD), and more.

I think the slashes could be reordered a bit as well (other qc people can weigh in on this) but my thoughts are that Earth Power's coverage alongside Rock STAB is way too good to be passed up (cyclohm coverage, heatran coverage, mollux coverage, etc), it's special EdgeQuake pretty much, so it should definitely get the second slash to itself. I've really never been a fan of Giga Drain, healing LO recoil is kinda nice but the extra damage Energy Ball provides can prove critical for revenging Water-types, basically damage output > longevity on a fast, frail mon like Stratagem.

Levitate Attacker
- Same general teammate comments as above, focus on offensive synergy
- In usage tips, the Levitate comment might come off as encouraging Stratagem to switch into Ground-type moves. I'd either reword it or at least mention that this is quite risky, as Ground-type attackers carry coverage that can heavily damage or KO Stratagem due to its frailty.

Calm Mind
- Where applicable, mention the same general teammate options as above. Mention Colossoil alongside Bisharp as a Knock Off user.
- Switch around Earth Power and Fire Blast, Earth Power is deserving of its own slot
- In usage tips, mention stuff it should try to set up on / when in the game it should try to set up.

Empress

As a general comment, focus more heavily on offensive synergy in team options as opposed to defensive synergy.

Technician Attacker
- Add slower U-turn/Volt Switch users such as Scizor, Colossoil, Rotom-W, etc to help Stratagem get in safely and start hitting stuff.
- Stratagem is godly vs. opposing offensive teams, but since it has no pivoting moves of its own, it struggles to do much to stall teams without the proper support. Mention entry hazard setters as teammates to help wear down stall (Stealth Rock users such as Tomohawk, Pyroak, Heatran, etc. Spike setters are also useful to break Syclant's sash)
- Mention trappers such as Gothitelle and Magnezone to help remove Stratagem's checks and counters. Gothitelle can cripple walls such as Chansey with Trick, and has respectable coverage to deal with several other walls, making it much easier for Stratagem to clean up late game. Magnezone can also be used as it traps Scizor much more reliably than Gothitelle, which is incredibly helpful to Stratagem (as well as other Steel-types if Stratagem isn't running fire coverage).
- Strong physical attackers can help break past the special walls that trouble Stratagem. These attackers include Mega Metagross, Colossoil (gives pursuit support as well), DD Aurumoth (bonus for unpredictability), Tyranitar (pursuit+sand), Mega Gyarados (easily handles bullet punch/aqua jet etc and sets up DD), and more.

I think the slashes could be reordered a bit as well (other qc people can weigh in on this) but my thoughts are that Earth Power's coverage alongside Rock STAB is way too good to be passed up (cyclohm coverage, heatran coverage, mollux coverage, etc), it's special EdgeQuake pretty much, so it should definitely get the second slash to itself. I've really never been a fan of Giga Drain, healing LO recoil is kinda nice but the extra damage Energy Ball provides can prove critical for revenging Water-types, basically damage output > longevity on a fast, frail mon like Stratagem.

Levitate Attacker
- Same general teammate comments as above, focus on offensive synergy
- In usage tips, the Levitate comment might come off as encouraging Stratagem to switch into Ground-type moves. I'd either reword it or at least mention that this is quite risky, as Ground-type attackers carry coverage that can heavily damage or KO Stratagem due to its frailty.

Calm Mind
- Where applicable, mention the same general teammate options as above. Mention Colossoil alongside Bisharp as a Knock Off user.
- Switch around Earth Power and Fire Blast, Earth Power is deserving of its own slot
- In usage tips, mention stuff it should try to set up on / when in the game it should try to set up.
Did all of this.

Okay, after talking with a few peeps we decided on a decent way to consolidate the slashes on Technician:

The logic behind this is that Ancient Power and Earth Power provide the best two move coverage alongside each other compared to any other two move combo on the set, and that Vacuum Wave is an incredibly useful tool to have on Technician Stratagem, considering this is what helps makes its matchup against offense + opposing priority users so good (plus, not running vacuum wave means giving up one of the main draws of running Technician > Levitate). Move 4 is the additional coverage slot, with HP Flying providing the best overall super-effective coverage (not to mention it gets that Technician boost).

Giga Drain can be removed on both of the attacker sets; it's really lackluster as its longevity is quite poor anyway, and Energy Ball's higher damage output is crucial when revenging powerful Water-types. It can stay on the CM set though, as this set does appreciate the added longevity.

Bulky Attackers can be added in C&C; in general, anything that can stomach a hit and retaliate back serves as a check to Stratagem due to its low bulk.

Great work, QC 2/3

Empress

Okay, after talking with a few peeps we decided on a decent way to consolidate the slashes on Technician:

The logic behind this is that Ancient Power and Earth Power provide the best two move coverage alongside each other compared to any other two move combo on the set, and that Vacuum Wave is an incredibly useful tool to have on Technician Stratagem, considering this is what helps makes its matchup against offense + opposing priority users so good (plus, not running vacuum wave means giving up one of the main draws of running Technician > Levitate). Move 4 is the additional coverage slot, with HP Flying providing the best overall super-effective coverage (not to mention it gets that Technician boost).

Giga Drain can be removed on both of the attacker sets; it's really lackluster as its longevity is quite poor anyway, and Energy Ball's higher damage output is crucial when revenging powerful Water-types. It can stay on the CM set though, as this set does appreciate the added longevity.

Bulky Attackers can be added in C&C; in general, anything that can stomach a hit and retaliate back serves as a check to Stratagem due to its low bulk.

Great work, QC 2/3
Excellent! I will write this up.
EDIT: Written.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Looks pretty good, and seems pretty well written. The competitive stuff is solid, but there are a few instances of typos that obscure competitive reasoning, so therefore I think you should fix them now before the GP team comes.

Calm Mind said:
Sand support from Tyranitar Stratagem's Special Defense, thus allowing it to take special attacks more easily as it sets up.
I believe you're missing a word here; sand support from Tyranitar boosts/increases/buffs/etc Stratagem's Special Defense.

Other Options said:
Trick is an option on if Stratagem is holding Choice Specs
I'm assuming you mean Trick is an option only if Stratagem is holding Choice Specs. Really, this one I'm just nitpicking, but I also don't think tricking Colossoil is the best thing, since without a boosting item Stratagem likely won't KO it in turn, and still has to switch out or risk a pursuit (and even if it stays in and uses anything other than Vacuum Wave, Stratagem still risks a Sucker Punch). In short, Stratagem shouldn't really be doing much to Colossoil unless it's considerably weakened, and at which point it would rather just KO rather than Trick. Of course, Trick is still viable for Chansey and other walls. It just has to be careful when using the move against offensive mons.

Empress

Looks pretty good, and seems pretty well written. The competitive stuff is solid, but there are a few instances of typos that obscure competitive reasoning, so therefore I think you should fix them now before the GP team comes.

I believe you're missing a word here; sand support from Tyranitar boosts/increases/buffs/etc Stratagem's Special Defense.

I'm assuming you mean Trick is an option only if Stratagem is holding Choice Specs. Really, this one I'm just nitpicking, but I also don't think tricking Colossoil is the best thing, since without a boosting item Stratagem likely won't KO it in turn, and still has to switch out or risk a pursuit (and even if it stays in and uses anything other than Vacuum Wave, Stratagem still risks a Sucker Punch). In short, Stratagem shouldn't really be doing much to Colossoil unless it's considerably weakened, and at which point it would rather just KO rather than Trick. Of course, Trick is still viable for Chansey and other walls. It just has to be careful when using the move against offensive mons.
Did these.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2
add remove comment

Overview
########

With great Special Attack and Speed and a wide array of coverage moves, Stratagem is a fearsome attacker in the CAP metagame. Its Rock typing combined with its power allows it to shut down staples of hyper offense teams, such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and Kyurem-B. The ability for Stratagem to land super effective hits on its would-be checks such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Heatran is a godsend to its sweeping capabilities. Most importantly, Stratagem's blistering base 130 Speed allows it to outspeed outspeeds almost the entire CAP metagame, making it a perfect choice as for a late-game cleaner. Alternatively, Stratagem can set up with Calm Mind to become a great mid-game wallbreaker. However, Stratagem is fairly frail and possesses a below-average defensive typing, so it is hard(dash)pressed to switch into opposing offensive pressure. Rock typing may be perfect for offense, but it also gives Stratagem crippling weaknesses to a myriad of priority attacks, such as Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Bullet Punch. Stratagem also falls flat in the face of stall, as its base 120 Special Attack is not quite enough to break down dedicated special walls. Even with access to Calm Mind, (kind of awkward redundancy with "even its Calm Mind..." later in the sentence) Stratagem's lack of Taunt means that even its Calm Mind set has trouble breaking stall. Nonetheless, Stratagem's offensive versatility means it should always be considered on offensive and balanced teams alike.

Technician Abuse
########

Moves
========

Ancient Power is Stratagem's reliable STAB attack that is boosted to base 90 Base Power with Technician. Its chance to raise all of Stratagem's stats at once can give Stratagem the ability to muscle past its checks more easily as well. Earth Power hits Mollux, Heatran, and Cyclohm for super effective damage and gives Stratagem the coveted offensive combination of Rock and Ground. Vacuum Wave allows Stratagem to pick off opposing priority attackers and Choice Scarf users, such as Cawmodore and Terrakion, respectively. Moreover, Technician boosts the power Base Power of Vacuum Wave to 60, making it a decently powerful priority move. Hidden Power Flying is boosted to 90 Base Power BP by Technician and allows Stratagem to hit Mega Venusaur and Tomohawk hard; do not use Hidden Power Psychic, as it lowers Stratagem's Speed IV to 30. Fire Blast provides strong coverage against Steel- and Grass-types such as Mega Scizor and Necturna, respectively, while Energy Ball is used to hit bulky Water- and Ground-types such as Arghonaut and Colossoil, respectively.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Speed and Special Attack allows Stratagem to hit as quickly and as hard as possible. A Timid nature allows Stratagem to outspeed Pokemon with a base 120 Speed or higher, particularly Talonflame and Syclant. Life Orb is the best option to boost Stratagem's offensive power while giving it the freedom to change moves. Choice Specs allows Stratagem to hit harder, but being locked into a single move can easily allow a tank to switch in and force Stratagem out. Technician raises the power of Stratagem's Ancient Power and its specific coverage moves in Hidden Power Flying and Vacuum Wave.

Usage Tips
========

This set functions very well as a late-game cleaner and revenge killer due to Stratagem's high Speed and the lack of a boosting move on this set. Bring Stratagem into the battlefield on free switches whenever possible, as even resisted hits take away a decent amount of its health. Additionally, be sure to significantly weaken opposing special walls before bringing in Stratagem, as Stratagem is not a very good wallbreaker.

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types such as Necturna and Mega Venusaur resist the Water-type moves that Stratagem is weak to; the aforementioned Grass-types also sport resistances to Fighting by virtue of their secondary types. Flying-types such as Tomohawk can easily switch into the Ground-type moves that Stratagem lures in. This is important because this Stratagem set lacks Levitate. Slow U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Scizor and Rotom-W can bring Stratagem into the battlefield safely. Entry hazard support from the likes of Landorus-T and Heatran allows Stratagem to break stall more easily and land some KOs that it normally would not. For example, Choice Specs Stratagem will OHKO Tomohawk with Hidden Power Flying after Stealth Rock damage. Gothitelle can trap and KO special walls such as Chansey, while Magnezone can trap Steel-types if Stratagem lacks Fire-type coverage. Physical attackers such as Mega Metagross and Dragon Dance Aurumoth can break down the special walls that give Stratagem a hard time sweeping.

Levitate Attacker
########

Moves
========

Paleo Wave is a reliable STAB attack that hits Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, and Syclant for massive damage. Earth Power gives Stratagem a fighting chance against Mollux, Heatran, and Cyclohm while providing vast neutral coverage alongside Paleo Wave. Fire Blast hits Steel-(space)and Grass-types, such as Mega Scizor, Kitsunoh, Cawmodore, Ferrothorn, and Necturna, for massive damage. Energy Ball hits bulky Water- and Ground-types Ground- and Water-types super effectively, such as Colossoil, Mega Gyarados, Arghonaut, Krilowatt, and Rotom-W.

Set Details
========

Stratagem needs full investment in its Special Attack and Speed in order to become as powerful and as fast as possible. A Timid nature is necessary to get the jump on Pokemon with base 120 Speed and higher. Life Orb boosts the power of Stratagem's moves while allowing Stratagem to freely change attacks. On the other hand, Choice Specs grants Stratagem more killing power and does not inflict recoil damage; however, a foe that walls Stratagem can switch in easily and force Stratagem out. Levitate allows Stratagem to switch into Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and stray Ground-type moves, lessening the amount of team support it needs.

Usage Tips
========

Be sure to take advantage of Levitate granting Stratagem immunity to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Ground-type attacks. This allows Stratagem to switch into battle much more easily than it normally would. However, be careful for coverage moves that Ground-type attackers may might (not actually sure what the rule is with that but other GPers do it) be carrying, such as Superpower from Landorus-T (you were listing coverage moves; Superpower Landorus-T isn't a coverage move, hence the addition). As this Stratagem lacks Vacuum Wave, take caution if the opponent's priority attackers are still healthy. Even without priority, however, Stratagem still functions as a great late-game cleaner and revenge killer due to its high Speed.

Team Options
========

Stratagem is a great stand-alone Pokemon, so it can mesh well with nearly any offensive team. It has great defensive synergy with Necturna and Mollux because they can take the Fighting, Water, Grass Fighting-, Water-, Grass-, and Steel-type attacks that take a large chunk out of Stratagem's health. Necturna in particular can provide Sticky Web support, helping against Choice Scarf users and naturally faster Pokemon such as Mega Sceptile. Stratagem should also be paired with a physical attacker in order to prevent special walls from dominating your team. In particular, Colossoil and Cawmodore make for great checks to Chansey and Sylveon, respectively. Entry hazard support from the likes of Tomohawk and Heatran allows Stratagem to have an easier time landing KOs. Trappers such as Gothitelle and Magnezone can remove opposing threats to Stratagem; Gothitelle can cripple special walls with Trick, while Magnezone takes on the Steel-types that resist Stratagem's Paleo Wave.

Calm Mind
########

Moves
========

Calm Mind raises Stratagem's Special Attack to high levels and its Special Defense to decent levels, turning it from a revenge killer into a bulky wallbreaker. Paleo Wave should be used over Ancient Power as a STAB attack because this Stratagem lacks Technician. Earth Power breaks down Mollux and Heatran, two would-be special walls that don't mind taking a Paleo Wave. Fire Blast can be used in the last slot to heavily damage opposing Grass-types and Ground neutral Steel-types neutral to Ground, such as Necturna and Mega Scizor, respectively. Energy Ball hits breaks down Arghonaut, Mega Gyarados, Colossoil, and Rotom-W; alternatively, Giga Drain is an option if you opt to run Life Orb, as it heals off some of the Life Orb recoil and allows Stratagem to break walls for longer. Substitute can also be used to give Stratagem a shield against weaker special attacks and status moves, thus allowing it to break stall; however, Stratagem usually prefers extra coverage.

Set Details
========

With maximum investment in Special Attack and Speed, Stratagem is guaranteed to hit as hard and as fast as possible. A Timid nature is necessary to get the jump on base 120 Speed Pokemon and higher. Leftovers promotes longevity by keeping Stratagem healthy, allowing it to use Calm Mind multiple times throughout the match. Life Orb is an option to boost Stratagem's offensive power, though you forego forgo quite a bit of Stratagem's durability because of the resulting recoil damage. Levitate allows Stratagem to switch into Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and stray Ground-type moves easily.

Usage Tips
========

Though Stratagem seems extremely frail due to its poor defensive typing, it actually has a decent HP stat. This set takes advantage of Stratagem's decent HP by allowing Stratagem to function as a mid-game wallbreaker in addition to a late-game cleaner. Despite the ability to set up, Stratagem often needs several Calm Mind boosts to be able to break down dedicated special walls effectively. Moreover, finding the right setup bait can be tricky due to Stratagem's poor defensive typing and iffy bulk. Passive, defensive Pokemon as well as Pokemon Choice-locked into moves that Stratagem resists are Stratagem's best options as for setup bait.

Team Options
========

Stratagem needs a lot of support from its teammates if it wants to find setup opportunities. Physical tanks such as Tomohawk can handle the physical attackers that Stratagem cannot set up on. Sand support from Tyranitar increases Stratagem's Special Defense, thus allowing it to take special attacks more easily as it sets up. Tyranitar can also Pursuit trap specially bulky Pokemon, particularly Latios, Latias, and Gothitelle. Stealth Rock users such as Pyroak and Landorus-T will wear down foes with passive damage, giving Stratagem an easier time sweeping. Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Colossoil can remove Assault Vests from the likes of Arghonaut, Azumarill, and Conkeldurr. Grass-types such as Necturna and Breloom appreciate Stratagem's ability to beat Fire-types, particularly Heatran, Talonflame, Mollux, and both Mega Charizards. In addition, Necturna can take the Water-, Fighting-, and Grass-type attacks aimed at Stratagem. Gothitelle can trap dedicated special walls, particularly Chansey and Sylveon, and cripple them with Trick, thus paving the way for Stratagem to attempt a sweep.

Other Options
########

Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast if reliability is desired over power. Hidden Power Ice will hit Garchomp and Landorus, as well as Tomohawk before it uses Roost, for massive damage. Trick is an option if Stratagem is holding Choice Specs, as the move will cripple defensive threats such as Chansey and Tomohawk. Focus Sash allows Stratagem to live survive a single powerful attack, such as Hydro Pump from Rotom-W or Bullet Punch from a Cawmodore that has used Belly Drum. Shadow Ball and Ominous Wind provide Ghost-type coverage to hit Mega Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Latios, and Latias for decent damage, but Stratagem is already hard-pressed to fit all of its coverage moves on one set. Stealth Rock can be an option due to Stratagem's high speed, but Stratagem has better things to do than to act as a suicide lead. Moreover, Stratagem's below-average bulk means that it will struggle to set up Stealth Rock more than once per game. Babiri Berry allows Stratagem to survive a Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and subsequently OHKO Mega Scizor with Fire Blast.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Dedicated special walls such as Chansey and Sylveon can switch into any attack that Stratagem has, forcing it out and crippling your its (personally I think it makes sense to keep the POV for Checks & Counters neutral, because people trying to counter Stratagem will also read this) team's momentum.

**Assault Vest Users**: Colossoil, Azumarill, Arghonaut, and Conkeldurr enjoy Assault Vest to soften Stratagem's super effective attacks, allowing them to switch in and hit Stratagem super effectively right back.

**Bulky Attackers**: Bulky, powerful Pokemon such as Tomohawk and Necturna can check Stratagem by surviving a super effective attack and OHKOing Stratagem in return because of its low bulk. However, most bulky attackers have trouble switching into a super effective attack from Stratagem without the aid of Assault Vest.

**Priority Attacks**: Stratagem's defensive typing leaves it very prone vulnerable to priority attacks such as Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, and Mach Punch.

**Super Effective Moves**: Because Stratagem is not that bulky, super effective attacks will often OHKO or 2HKO it.

Empress

GP 1/2
add remove comment

Overview
########

With great Special Attack and Speed and a wide array of coverage moves, Stratagem is a fearsome attacker in the CAP metagame. Its Rock typing combined with its power allows it to shut down staples of hyper offense teams, such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and Kyurem-B. The ability for Stratagem to land super effective hits on its would-be checks such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Heatran is a godsend to its sweeping capabilities. Most importantly, Stratagem's blistering base 130 Speed allows it to outspeed outspeeds almost the entire CAP metagame, making it a perfect choice as for a late-game cleaner. Alternatively, Stratagem can set up with Calm Mind to become a great mid-game wallbreaker. However, Stratagem is fairly frail and possesses a below-average defensive typing, so it is hard(dash)pressed to switch into opposing offensive pressure. Rock typing may be perfect for offense, but it also gives Stratagem crippling weaknesses to a myriad of priority attacks, such as Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Bullet Punch. Stratagem also falls flat in the face of stall, as its base 120 Special Attack is not quite enough to break down dedicated special walls. Even with access to Calm Mind, (kind of awkward redundancy with "even its Calm Mind..." later in the sentence) Stratagem's lack of Taunt means that even its Calm Mind set has trouble breaking stall. Nonetheless, Stratagem's offensive versatility means it should always be considered on offensive and balanced teams alike.

Technician Abuse
########

Moves
========

Ancient Power is Stratagem's reliable STAB attack that is boosted to base 90 Base Power with Technician. Its chance to raise all of Stratagem's stats at once can give Stratagem the ability to muscle past its checks more easily as well. Earth Power hits Mollux, Heatran, and Cyclohm for super effective damage and gives Stratagem the coveted offensive combination of Rock and Ground. Vacuum Wave allows Stratagem to pick off opposing priority attackers and Choice Scarf users, such as Cawmodore and Terrakion, respectively. Moreover, Technician boosts the power Base Power of Vacuum Wave to 60, making it a decently powerful priority move. Hidden Power Flying is boosted to 90 Base Power BP by Technician and allows Stratagem to hit Mega Venusaur and Tomohawk hard; do not use Hidden Power Psychic, as it lowers Stratagem's Speed IV to 30. Fire Blast provides strong coverage against Steel- and Grass-types such as Mega Scizor and Necturna, respectively, while Energy Ball is used to hit bulky Water- and Ground-types such as Arghonaut and Colossoil, respectively.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Speed and Special Attack allows Stratagem to hit as quickly and as hard as possible. A Timid nature allows Stratagem to outspeed Pokemon with a base 120 Speed or higher, particularly Talonflame and Syclant. Life Orb is the best option to boost Stratagem's offensive power while giving it the freedom to change moves. Choice Specs allows Stratagem to hit harder, but being locked into a single move can easily allow a tank to switch in and force Stratagem out. Technician raises the power of Stratagem's Ancient Power and its specific coverage moves in Hidden Power Flying and Vacuum Wave.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types such as Necturna and Mega Venusaur resist the Water-type moves that Stratagem is weak to; the aforementioned Grass-types also sport resistances to Fighting by virtue of their secondary types. Flying-types such as Tomohawk can easily switch into the Ground-type moves that Stratagem lures in. This is important because this Stratagem set lacks Levitate. Slow U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Scizor and Rotom-W can bring Stratagem into the battlefield safely. Entry hazard support from the likes of Landorus-T and Heatran allows Stratagem to break stall more easily and land some KOs that it normally would not. For example, Choice Specs Stratagem will OHKO Tomohawk with Hidden Power Flying after Stealth Rock damage. Gothitelle can trap and KO special walls such as Chansey, while Magnezone can trap Steel-types if Stratagem lacks Fire-type coverage. Physical attackers such as Mega Metagross and Dragon Dance Aurumoth can break down the special walls that give Stratagem a hard time sweeping.

Levitate Attacker
########

Moves
========

Paleo Wave is a reliable STAB attack that hits Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, and Syclant for massive damage. Earth Power gives Stratagem a fighting chance against Mollux, Heatran, and Cyclohm while providing vast neutral coverage alongside Paleo Wave. Fire Blast hits Steel-(space)and Grass-types, such as Mega Scizor, Kitsunoh, Cawmodore, Ferrothorn, and Necturna, for massive damage. Energy Ball hits bulky Water- and Ground-types Ground- and Water-types super effectively, such as Colossoil, Mega Gyarados, Arghonaut, Krilowatt, and Rotom-W.

Set Details
========

Stratagem needs full investment in its Special Attack and Speed in order to become as powerful and as fast as possible. A Timid nature is necessary to get the jump on Pokemon with base 120 Speed and higher. Life Orb boosts the power of Stratagem's moves while allowing Stratagem to freely change attacks. On the other hand, Choice Specs grants Stratagem more killing power and does not inflict recoil damage; however, a foe that walls Stratagem can switch in easily and force Stratagem out. Levitate allows Stratagem to switch into Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and stray Ground-type moves, lessening the amount of team support it needs.

Usage Tips
========

Be sure to take advantage of Levitate granting Stratagem immunity to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Ground-type attacks. This allows Stratagem to switch into battle much more easily than it normally would. However, be careful for coverage moves that Ground-type attackers may might (not actually sure what the rule is with that but other GPers do it) be carrying, such as Superpower from Landorus-T (you were listing coverage moves; Superpower Landorus-T isn't a coverage move, hence the addition). As this Stratagem lacks Vacuum Wave, take caution if the opponent's priority attackers are still healthy. Even without priority, however, Stratagem still functions as a great late-game cleaner and revenge killer due to its high Speed.

Team Options
========

Stratagem is a great stand-alone Pokemon, so it can mesh well with nearly any offensive team. It has great defensive synergy with Necturna and Mollux because they can take the Fighting, Water, Grass Fighting-, Water-, Grass-, and Steel-type attacks that take a large chunk out of Stratagem's health. Necturna in particular can provide Sticky Web support, helping against Choice Scarf users and naturally faster Pokemon such as Mega Sceptile. Stratagem should also be paired with a physical attacker in order to prevent special walls from dominating your team. In particular, Colossoil and Cawmodore make for great checks to Chansey and Sylveon, respectively. Entry hazard support from the likes of Tomohawk and Heatran allows Stratagem to have an easier time landing KOs. Trappers such as Gothitelle and Magnezone can remove opposing threats to Stratagem; Gothitelle can cripple special walls with Trick, while Magnezone takes on the Steel-types that resist Stratagem's Paleo Wave.

Calm Mind
########

Moves
========

Calm Mind raises Stratagem's Special Attack to high levels and its Special Defense to decent levels, turning it from a revenge killer into a bulky wallbreaker. Paleo Wave should be used over Ancient Power as a STAB attack because this Stratagem lacks Technician. Earth Power breaks down Mollux and Heatran, two would-be special walls that don't mind taking a Paleo Wave. Fire Blast can be used in the last slot to heavily damage opposing Grass-types and Ground neutral Steel-types neutral to Ground, such as Necturna and Mega Scizor, respectively. Energy Ball hits breaks down Arghonaut, Mega Gyarados, Colossoil, and Rotom-W; alternatively, Giga Drain is an option if you opt to run Life Orb, as it heals off some of the Life Orb recoil and allows Stratagem to break walls for longer. Substitute can also be used to give Stratagem a shield against weaker special attacks and status moves, thus allowing it to break stall; however, Stratagem usually prefers extra coverage.

Set Details
========

With maximum investment in Special Attack and Speed, Stratagem is guaranteed to hit as hard and as fast as possible. A Timid nature is necessary to get the jump on base 120 Speed Pokemon and higher. Leftovers promotes longevity by keeping Stratagem healthy, allowing it to use Calm Mind multiple times throughout the match. Life Orb is an option to boost Stratagem's offensive power, though you forego forgo quite a bit of Stratagem's durability because of the resulting recoil damage. Levitate allows Stratagem to switch into Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and stray Ground-type moves easily.

Usage Tips
========

Though Stratagem seems extremely frail due to its poor defensive typing, it actually has a decent HP stat. This set takes advantage of Stratagem's decent HP by allowing Stratagem to function as a mid-game wallbreaker in addition to a late-game cleaner. Despite the ability to set up, Stratagem often needs several Calm Mind boosts to be able to break down dedicated special walls effectively. Moreover, finding the right setup bait can be tricky due to Stratagem's poor defensive typing and iffy bulk. Passive, defensive Pokemon as well as Pokemon Choice-locked into moves that Stratagem resists are Stratagem's best options as for setup bait.

Team Options
========

Stratagem needs a lot of support from its teammates if it wants to find setup opportunities. Physical tanks such as Tomohawk can handle the physical attackers that Stratagem cannot set up on. Sand support from Tyranitar increases Stratagem's Special Defense, thus allowing it to take special attacks more easily as it sets up. Tyranitar can also Pursuit trap specially bulky Pokemon, particularly Latios, Latias, and Gothitelle. Stealth Rock users such as Pyroak and Landorus-T will wear down foes with passive damage, giving Stratagem an easier time sweeping. Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Colossoil can remove Assault Vests from the likes of Arghonaut, Azumarill, and Conkeldurr. Grass-types such as Necturna and Breloom appreciate Stratagem's ability to beat Fire-types, particularly Heatran, Talonflame, Mollux, and both Mega Charizards. In addition, Necturna can take the Water-, Fighting-, and Grass-type attacks aimed at Stratagem. Gothitelle can trap dedicated special walls, particularly Chansey and Sylveon, and cripple them with Trick, thus paving the way for Stratagem to attempt a sweep.

Other Options
########

Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast if reliability is desired over power. Hidden Power Ice will hit Garchomp and Landorus, as well as Tomohawk before it uses Roost, for massive damage. Trick is an option if Stratagem is holding Choice Specs, as the move will cripple defensive threats such as Chansey and Tomohawk. Focus Sash allows Stratagem to live survive a single powerful attack, such as Hydro Pump from Rotom-W or Bullet Punch from a Cawmodore that has used Belly Drum. Shadow Ball and Ominous Wind provide Ghost-type coverage to hit Mega Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Latios, and Latias for decent damage, but Stratagem is already hard-pressed to fit all of its coverage moves on one set. Stealth Rock can be an option due to Stratagem's high speed, but Stratagem has better things to do than to act as a suicide lead. Moreover, Stratagem's below-average bulk means that it will struggle to set up Stealth Rock more than once per game. Babiri Berry allows Stratagem to survive a Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and subsequently OHKO Mega Scizor with Fire Blast.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Dedicated special walls such as Chansey and Sylveon can switch into any attack that Stratagem has, forcing it out and crippling your its (personally I think it makes sense to keep the POV for Checks & Counters neutral, because people trying to counter Stratagem will also read this) team's momentum.

**Assault Vest Users**: Colossoil, Azumarill, Arghonaut, and Conkeldurr enjoy Assault Vest to soften Stratagem's super effective attacks, allowing them to switch in and hit Stratagem super effectively right back.

**Priority Attacks**: Stratagem's defensive typing leaves it very prone vulnerable to priority attacks such as Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, and Mach Punch.

Thank you! Ready for the next one.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Snobalt

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

With great Special Attack and Speed and a wide array of coverage moves, Stratagem is a fearsome attacker in the CAP metagame. Its Rock typing combined with its power allows it to shut down staples of hyper offense teams, such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and Kyurem-B. The ability for Stratagem to land super effective hits on its would-be checks such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Heatran is a godsend to its sweeping capabilities. Most importantly, Stratagem's blistering base 130 Speed allows it to outspeed almost the entire CAP metagame, making it a perfect choice for a late-game cleaner. Alternatively, Stratagem can set up with Calm Mind to become a great mid-game wallbreaker. However, Stratagem is fairly frail and possesses a below-average defensive typing, so it is hard-pressed to switch into opposing offensive pressure. A Rock typing may might be perfect for offense, but it also gives Stratagem crippling weaknesses to a myriad of priority attacks, such as Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Bullet Punch. Stratagem also falls flat in the face of stall, as its base 120 Special Attack is not quite enough to break down dedicated special walls. Stratagem's lack of Taunt means that even its Calm Mind set has trouble breaking stall. Nonetheless, Stratagem's offensive versatility means it should always be considered on offensive and balanced teams alike.

Technician Abuse
########

Moves
========

Ancient Power is Stratagem's reliable STAB attack that is boosted to 90 Base Power with Technician. Its chance to raise all of Stratagem's stats at once can give Stratagem the ability to muscle past its checks more easily as well. Earth Power hits Mollux, Heatran, and Cyclohm for super effective damage and gives Stratagem the coveted offensive combination of Rock and Ground. Vacuum Wave allows Stratagem to pick off opposing priority attackers and Choice Scarf users, such as Cawmodore and Terrakion, respectively. Moreover, Technician boosts the Base Power of Vacuum Wave to 60, making it a decently powerful priority move. Hidden Power Flying is boosted to 90 Base Power by Technician and allows Stratagem to hit Mega Venusaur and Tomohawk hard; do not use Hidden Power Psychic, as it lowers Stratagem's Speed IV to 30. Fire Blast provides strong coverage against Steel- and Grass-types such as Mega Scizor and Necturna, respectively, while Energy Ball is used to hit bulky Water- and Ground-types such as Arghonaut and Colossoil, respectively.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Speed and Special Attack allows Stratagem to hit as quickly and as hard as possible. A Timid nature allows Stratagem to outspeed Pokemon with base 120 Speed or lower higher, particularly Talonflame and Syclant. Life Orb is the best option to boost Stratagem's offensive power while giving it the freedom to change moves. Choice Specs allows Stratagem to hit harder, but being locked into a single move can easily allow a tank to switch in and force Stratagem out. Technician raises the power of Stratagem's Ancient Power and its specific coverage moves in Hidden Power Flying and Vacuum Wave.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types such as Necturna and Mega Venusaur resist the Water-type moves that Stratagem is weak to; they aforementioned Grass-types also sport resistances to Fighting by virtue of their secondary types. Flying-types such as Tomohawk can easily switch into the Ground-type moves that Stratagem lures in. This is important because this Stratagem set lacks Levitate. Slow U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Scizor and Rotom-W can bring Stratagem into the battlefield safely. Entry hazard support from the likes of Landorus-T and Heatran allows Stratagem to break stall more easily and land some KOs that it normally would not. For example, Choice Specs Stratagem will OHKO Tomohawk with Hidden Power Flying after Stealth Rock damage. Gothitelle can trap and KO special walls such as Chansey, while Magnezone can trap Steel-types if Stratagem lacks Fire-type coverage. Physical attackers such as Mega Metagross and Dragon Dance Aurumoth can break down the special walls that give Stratagem a hard time sweeping.

Levitate Attacker
########

Moves
========

Paleo Wave is a reliable STAB attack that hits Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, and Syclant for massive damage. Earth Power gives Stratagem a fighting chance against Mollux, Heatran, and Cyclohm while providing vast neutral coverage alongside Paleo Wave. Fire Blast hits Steel- and Grass-types, such as Mega Scizor, Kitsunoh, Cawmodore, Ferrothorn, and Necturna, for massive damage. Energy Ball hits bulky Ground- and Water-types super effectively, such as Colossoil, Mega Gyarados, Arghonaut, Krilowatt, and Rotom-W.

Set Details
========

Stratagem needs full investment in its Special Attack and Speed in order to become as powerful and as fast as possible. A Timid nature is necessary to get the jump on Pokemon with base 120 Speed and lower higher. Life Orb boosts the power of Stratagem's moves while allowing Stratagem to freely change attacks. On the other hand, Choice Specs grants Stratagem more power and does not inflict recoil damage; however, a foe that walls Stratagem can switch in easily and force Stratagem out. Levitate allows Stratagem to switch into Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and stray Ground-type moves, lessening the amount of team support it needs.

Usage Tips
========

Be sure to take advantage of Levitate granting Stratagem immunity to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Ground-type attacks. This allows Stratagem to switch into battle much more easily than it normally would. However, be careful for coverage moves that Ground-type attackers might be carrying, such as Superpower from Landorus-T. As this Stratagem lacks Vacuum Wave, take caution if the opponent's priority attackers are still healthy. Even without priority, however, Stratagem still functions as a great late-game cleaner and revenge killer due to its high Speed.

Team Options
========

Stratagem is a great stand-alone Pokemon, so it can mesh well with nearly any offensive team. It has great defensive synergy with Necturna and Mollux because they can take the Fighting-, Water-, Grass-, and Steel-type attacks that take a large chunk out of Stratagem's health. Necturna in particular can provide Sticky Web support, helping against Choice Scarf users and naturally faster Pokemon such as Mega Sceptile. Stratagem should also be paired with a physical attacker in order to prevent special walls from dominating your team. In particular, Colossoil and Cawmodore make for great checks to Chansey and Sylveon, respectively. Entry hazard support from the likes of Tomohawk and Heatran allows Stratagem to have an easier time landing KOs. Trappers such as Gothitelle and Magnezone can remove opposing threats to Stratagem; Gothitelle can cripple special walls with Trick, while Magnezone takes on the Steel-types that resist Stratagem's Paleo Wave.

Calm Mind
########

Moves
========

Calm Mind raises Stratagem's Special Attack to high levels and its Special Defense to decent levels, turning it from a revenge killer into a bulky wallbreaker. Paleo Wave should be used over Ancient Power as a STAB attack because this Stratagem lacks Technician. Earth Power breaks down Mollux and Heatran, two would-be special walls that don't mind taking a Paleo Wave. Fire Blast can be used in the last slot to heavily damage Grass-types and Steel-types neutral to Ground, such as Necturna and Mega Scizor, respectively. Energy Ball breaks down Arghonaut, Mega Gyarados, Colossoil, and Rotom-W; alternatively, Giga Drain is an option if you opt to run Life Orb, as it heals off some of the Life Orb recoil and allows Stratagem to break walls for longer. Substitute can also be used to give Stratagem a shield against weaker special attacks and status moves, thus allowing it to break stall; however, Stratagem usually prefers extra coverage.

Set Details
========

With maximum investment in Special Attack and Speed, Stratagem is guaranteed to hits as hard and as fast as possible. A Timid nature is necessary to get the jump on base 120 Speed Pokemon and lower higher. Leftovers promotes longevity by keeping Stratagem healthy, allowing it to use Calm Mind multiple times throughout the match. Life Orb is an option to boost Stratagem's offensive power, though you Stratagem forgoes quite a bit of Stratagem's durability because of the resulting recoil damage. Levitate allows Stratagem to switch into Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and stray Ground-type moves easily.

Usage Tips
========

Though Stratagem seems extremely frail due to its poor defensive typing, it actually has a decent HP stat. This set takes advantage of Stratagem's decent HP by allowing Stratagem to function as a mid-game wallbreaker in addition to a late-game cleaner. Despite the ability to set up, Stratagem often needs several Calm Mind boosts to be able to break down dedicated special walls effectively. Moreover, finding the right setup bait can be tricky due to Stratagem's poor defensive typing and iffy bulk. Passive, defensive Pokemon as well as Pokemon Choice-locked into moves that Stratagem resists are Stratagem's best options for setup bait.

Team Options
========

Stratagem needs a lot of support from its teammates if it wants to find setup opportunities. Physical tanks such as Tomohawk can handle the physical attackers that Stratagem cannot set up on. Sand support from Tyranitar increases Stratagem's Special Defense, thus allowing it to take special attacks more easily as it sets up. Tyranitar can also Pursuit trap specially bulky Pokemon, particularly Latios, Latias, and Gothitelle. Stealth Rock users such as Pyroak and Landorus-T will wear down foes with passive damage, giving Stratagem an easier time sweeping. Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Colossoil can remove Assault Vests from the likes of Arghonaut, Azumarill, and Conkeldurr. Grass-types such as Necturna and Breloom appreciate Stratagem's ability to beat Fire-types, particularly Heatran, Talonflame, Mollux, and both Mega Charizards X and Y. In addition, Necturna can take the Water-, Fighting-, and Grass-type attacks aimed at Stratagem. Gothitelle can trap dedicated special walls, particularly Chansey and Sylveon, and cripple them with Trick, thus paving the way for Stratagem to attempt a sweep.

Other Options
########

Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast if reliability is desired over power. Hidden Power Ice will hit Garchomp and Landorus, as well as Tomohawk before it uses Roost, for massive damage. Trick is an option if Stratagem is holding Choice Specs, as the move will cripple defensive threats such as Chansey and Tomohawk. Focus Sash allows Stratagem to survive a single powerful attack, such as Hydro Pump from Rotom-W or Bullet Punch from a Cawmodore that has used Belly Drum. Shadow Ball and Ominous Wind provide Ghost-type coverage to hit Mega Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Latios, and Latias for decent damage, but Stratagem is already hard-pressed to fit all of its coverage moves on one set. Stealth Rock can be an option due to Stratagem's high Speed, but Stratagem has better things to do than to act as a suicide lead. Moreover, Stratagem's below-average bulk means that it will struggle to set up Stealth Rock more than once per game. Babiri Berry allows Stratagem to survive a Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and subsequently OHKO Mega Scizor with Fire Blast.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Dedicated special walls such as Chansey and Sylveon can switch into any attack that Stratagem has, forcing it out and crippling its team's momentum.

**Assault Vest Users**: Colossoil, Azumarill, Arghonaut, and Conkeldurr enjoy can use Assault Vest to soften Stratagem's super effective attacks, allowing them to switch in and hit Stratagem super effectively right back.

**Priority Attacks**: Stratagem's defensive typing leaves it very vulnerable to priority attacks such as Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, and Mach Punch.

2/2

remember to update this to the new analysis format

Last edited:

Empress

Snobalt

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

With great Special Attack and Speed and a wide array of coverage moves, Stratagem is a fearsome attacker in the CAP metagame. Its Rock typing combined with its power allows it to shut down staples of hyper offense teams, such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and Kyurem-B. The ability for Stratagem to land super effective hits on its would-be checks such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Heatran is a godsend to its sweeping capabilities. Most importantly, Stratagem's blistering base 130 Speed allows it to outspeed almost the entire CAP metagame, making it a perfect choice for a late-game cleaner. Alternatively, Stratagem can set up with Calm Mind to become a great mid-game wallbreaker. However, Stratagem is fairly frail and possesses a below-average defensive typing, so it is hard-pressed to switch into opposing offensive pressure. A Rock typing may might be perfect for offense, but it also gives Stratagem crippling weaknesses to a myriad of priority attacks, such as Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Bullet Punch. Stratagem also falls flat in the face of stall, as its base 120 Special Attack is not quite enough to break down dedicated special walls. Stratagem's lack of Taunt means that even its Calm Mind set has trouble breaking stall. Nonetheless, Stratagem's offensive versatility means it should always be considered on offensive and balanced teams alike.

Technician Abuse
########

Moves
========

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Speed and Special Attack allows Stratagem to hit as quickly and as hard as possible. A Timid nature allows Stratagem to outspeed Pokemon with base 120 Speed or lower higher, particularly Talonflame and Syclant. Life Orb is the best option to boost Stratagem's offensive power while giving it the freedom to change moves. Choice Specs allows Stratagem to hit harder, but being locked into a single move can easily allow a tank to switch in and force Stratagem out. Technician raises the power of Stratagem's Ancient Power and its specific coverage moves in Hidden Power Flying and Vacuum Wave.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types such as Necturna and Mega Venusaur resist the Water-type moves that Stratagem is weak to; they aforementioned Grass-types also sport resistances to Fighting by virtue of their secondary types. Flying-types such as Tomohawk can easily switch into the Ground-type moves that Stratagem lures in. This is important because this Stratagem set lacks Levitate. Slow U-turn and Volt Switch users such as Scizor and Rotom-W can bring Stratagem into the battlefield safely. Entry hazard support from the likes of Landorus-T and Heatran allows Stratagem to break stall more easily and land some KOs that it normally would not. For example, Choice Specs Stratagem will OHKO Tomohawk with Hidden Power Flying after Stealth Rock damage. Gothitelle can trap and KO special walls such as Chansey, while Magnezone can trap Steel-types if Stratagem lacks Fire-type coverage. Physical attackers such as Mega Metagross and Dragon Dance Aurumoth can break down the special walls that give Stratagem a hard time sweeping.

Levitate Attacker
########

Moves
========

Set Details
========

Stratagem needs full investment in its Special Attack and Speed in order to become as powerful and as fast as possible. A Timid nature is necessary to get the jump on Pokemon with base 120 Speed and lower higher. Life Orb boosts the power of Stratagem's moves while allowing Stratagem to freely change attacks. On the other hand, Choice Specs grants Stratagem more power and does not inflict recoil damage; however, a foe that walls Stratagem can switch in easily and force Stratagem out. Levitate allows Stratagem to switch into Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and stray Ground-type moves, lessening the amount of team support it needs.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Calm Mind
########

Moves
========

Calm Mind raises Stratagem's Special Attack to high levels and its Special Defense to decent levels, turning it from a revenge killer into a bulky wallbreaker. Paleo Wave should be used over Ancient Power as a STAB attack because this Stratagem lacks Technician. Earth Power breaks down Mollux and Heatran, two would-be special walls that don't mind taking a Paleo Wave. Fire Blast can be used in the last slot to heavily damage Grass-types and Steel-types neutral to Ground, such as Necturna and Mega Scizor, respectively. Energy Ball breaks down Arghonaut, Mega Gyarados, Colossoil, and Rotom-W; alternatively, Giga Drain is an option if you opt to run Life Orb, as it heals off some of the Life Orb recoil and allows Stratagem to break walls for longer. Substitute can also be used to give Stratagem a shield against weaker special attacks and status moves, thus allowing it to break stall; however, Stratagem usually prefers extra coverage.

Set Details
========

With maximum investment in Special Attack and Speed, Stratagem is guaranteed to hits as hard and as fast as possible. A Timid nature is necessary to get the jump on base 120 Speed Pokemon and lower higher. Leftovers promotes longevity by keeping Stratagem healthy, allowing it to use Calm Mind multiple times throughout the match. Life Orb is an option to boost Stratagem's offensive power, though you Stratagem forgoes quite a bit of Stratagem's durability because of the resulting recoil damage. Levitate allows Stratagem to switch into Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and stray Ground-type moves easily.

Usage Tips
========

Though Stratagem seems extremely frail due to its poor defensive typing, it actually has a decent HP stat. This set takes advantage of Stratagem's decent HP by allowing Stratagem to function as a mid-game wallbreaker in addition to a late-game cleaner. Despite the ability to set up, Stratagem often needs several Calm Mind boosts to be able to break down dedicated special walls effectively. Moreover, finding the right setup bait can be tricky due to Stratagem's poor defensive typing and iffy bulk. Passive, defensive Pokemon as well as Pokemon Choice-locked into moves that Stratagem resists are Stratagem's best options for setup bait.

Team Options
========

Stratagem needs a lot of support from its teammates if it wants to find setup opportunities. Physical tanks such as Tomohawk can handle the physical attackers that Stratagem cannot set up on. Sand support from Tyranitar increases Stratagem's Special Defense, thus allowing it to take special attacks more easily as it sets up. Tyranitar can also Pursuit trap specially bulky Pokemon, particularly Latios, Latias, and Gothitelle. Stealth Rock users such as Pyroak and Landorus-T will wear down foes with passive damage, giving Stratagem an easier time sweeping. Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Colossoil can remove Assault Vests from the likes of Arghonaut, Azumarill, and Conkeldurr. Grass-types such as Necturna and Breloom appreciate Stratagem's ability to beat Fire-types, particularly Heatran, Talonflame, Mollux, and both Mega Charizards X and Y. In addition, Necturna can take the Water-, Fighting-, and Grass-type attacks aimed at Stratagem. Gothitelle can trap dedicated special walls, particularly Chansey and Sylveon, and cripple them with Trick, thus paving the way for Stratagem to attempt a sweep.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

**Assault Vest Users**: Colossoil, Azumarill, Arghonaut, and Conkeldurr enjoy can use Assault Vest to soften Stratagem's super effective attacks, allowing them to switch in and hit Stratagem super effectively right back.

2/2

remember to update this to the new analysis format
Thanks Gato! Will upload this soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)