Metagame EFFECTIVE Creative / Underrated sets - NO BAD GIMMICKS, THEY WILL BE DELETED

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has base 65 Def & with those EVs it doesn't take physcial hits too well, even at full. I definitely would not recommend it switching in on physical attackers; even Rapidash because if stealth rocks are up (&/or spikes) it's definitely not going to be able to take two hits too well.
252 Atk Charcoal Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Thick Fat Grumpig: 139-165 (40.7 - 48.3%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
& if someone predicts the taunt with Piloswine, 252+ Atk Piloswine Earthquake vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 211-250 (61.8 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
it's also getting knocked out by a special attacker afterwards like, Simipour.
252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Grumpig: 177-211 (51.9 - 61.8%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
even without the Life Orb, it's still doing a considerable amount of damage that, that Grumpig cannont take espicially, if rocks &/or spikes are up.
This is just my opinion though, I could be dead wrong.
You aren't trying to wall physical attackers, but you still want the physical bulk to take hits if you need to. In general, investing in HP is way more useful than investing in the defenses in competitive Pokemon.

You aren't trying to wall physical attackers, but you still want the physical bulk to take hits if you need to. In general, investing in HP is way more useful than investing in the defenses in competitive Pokemon.
Aaah okay, so its situational. I gotcha, thanks for answering.

Tbh, in response to HP vs Defense debate, if you run the calcs, HP investment normally benefits you more than defense investments EVEN if the hit is on the defense you would potentially max out. Exceptions to this are evio/av users and mons with ultra high HP, iirc..

Tbh, in response to HP vs Defense debate, if you run the calcs, HP investment normally benefits you more than defense investments EVEN if the hit is on the defense you would potentially max out. Exceptions to this are evio/av users and mons with ultra high HP, iirc..
Eviolite makes almost no difference because it bulks up both final stats. Just make sure they're both even!

For bulking out one stat it can make sense to invest in HP but only if it's lower than the stat (needs base HP to be 20 lower to make up for the different calculation).

There are very few mons where 128 Def/128 SpD would be the best EV spread for a bulky attacker (if that's what you want), they are: Chatot, Darmanitan, Deoxys-Attack, Drifblim, Excadrill, Hariyama, Honchkrow, Kriketune, Lanturn, Rampardos, Skuntank, Wailord, Wigglytuff. (There are a number of others where the EV spend flips from HP to Def/SpD depending on the number of EVs you have to spend.)

Eviolite makes almost no difference because it bulks up both final stats. Just make sure they're both even!

For bulking out one stat it can make sense to invest in HP but only if it's lower than the stat (needs base HP to be 20 lower to make up for the different calculation).

There are very few mons where 128 Def/128 SpD would be the best EV spread for a bulky attacker (if that's what you want), they are: Chatot, Darmanitan, Deoxys-Attack, Drifblim, Excadrill, Hariyama, Honchkrow, Kriketune, Lanturn, Rampardos, Skuntank, Wailord, Wigglytuff. (There are a number of others where the EV spend flips from HP to Def/SpD depending on the number of EVs you have to spend.)
If a mon is holding an eviolite , investing in the def stat over the hp stat makes enough of a diffrence to prevent a 2hko where investing in HP wouldnt prevent the 2hko....ive run extensive calcs to test this and the theory is sound...in that scenario it depends on what you want to tank.....this is only applicable if you were running a tank set that was a specific counter to a mon known to only run either phys/special moves exclusively and you had the other evs spent in an offensive stat..anyway, this discussion isnt really fit for this thread, i was just demonstrating a point...

Lairon @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Metal Burst

This is a cool lead rocks lairon set I've been using. The idea is that you minimise all it's defences so that most hits can bring you down to sturdy, allowing you to bop them with metal sound. After that you can pop your custap and, depending on what mon they bring in, get up rocks or nab another kill i.e if they bring in something like zebstrika or rapidash to kill the 1 hp mon you can hit them with a surprise ohko. 0 ivs are ran in speed so that you can outslow relaxed stunfisk and carracosta since metal burst isn't negative priority for whatever reason. I didn't feel the need to put evs into anything but attack since that would hurt the set, lonely nature is used to raise the attack and lower the defence. All in all it's a great antilead mon and it nearly always grabs me a kill, and rocks every game.

Gourgeist-Small @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis

So this looks like your bread and butter Gourgeist-Super set. But there are some really cool things you can do with this set on Small that Super can only dream of.

24 Speed lets you out speed base 70's such as Mightyena and Poliwrath, letting you burn or seed bomb them respectively, as well as being able to out speed other threats such as Pawniard, guts Ursaring, Armaldo, and Rampardos. The added speed lets it take on more threats inside the PU meta and threaten them with burns or straight damage. You lose some bulk from going from Super to Small, but the trade off is being able to revenge kill Poliwrath, (or straight win 1v1 after some prior damage if you're willing to take an ice beam) and be able to threaten the likes of Pawniard and Mightyena with burns. Calcs below!

Gourgeist Small Calcs

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Gourgeist-Small: 261-308 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Yikes, make sure to keep rocks off)

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Gourgeist-Small: 210-248 (66.8 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk burned Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Gourgeist-Small: 84-99 (26.7 - 31.5%) -- 22.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb burned Mightyena Crunch vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Gourgeist-Small: 94-110 (29.9 - 35%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Gourgeist-Small Seed Bomb vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 158-188 (42.5 - 50.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Kingler @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crabhammer
- Double-Edge
- Superpower
- Rock Slide

People were saying this was bad in the chat so I had to defend it. While Scarf Kingler has some big flaws, it also has huge positives to outweigh them. Scarf Kingler gets easily walled by Tangela and Gourgeist, yeah, and struggles with Poli (Double-Edge is a 3HKO).

However, Kingler is a real manly scarfer, not some weak shit like Mime. Its powerful STAB crabhammer is enough to KO most of the offensive pokemon in the tier at full health, such as Raichu and Dodrio. Its strong coverage in superpower and rock slide allows it to KO bulkier pokemon such as Ursaring or ones resistant to crabhammer such as Jumpluff and Sawsbuck.

Also, its speed isn't that bad. It outspeeds Zebstrika, the fastest common pokemon in the tier. It loses out on Barbaracle at +2, but outspeeds +2 Carracosta and Regice and can revenge-kill both with superpower.

All in all, Scarf Kingler is a pretty solid and unexpected cleaner for offensive teams looking for a Scarfer.

Calcs:
252 Atk Kingler Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu: 264-312 (101.1 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Kingler Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Ursaring: 332-392 (103.1 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Sheer Force Kingler Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jumpluff: 286-338 (98.2 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Kingler Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Roselia: 163-192 (53.6 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Solrock @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake / Baton Pass

I was looking at Lunatone when I saw its Rock Polish set and thought why not with Solrock? Solrock has a better Rock STAB while losing a bit of damage on the Psychic STAB. While this set does lose to Carracosta, unlike the other, it can take on Misdreavus better bar a burn as well as doing better against Grumpig and Lickilicky.

Raticate @ Silk Scarf / Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return / Double Edge
- Crunch
- Quick Attack

Kind of like a PU version of Lucario. Life orb quick attack hits as hard as Pawniard's sucker punch without the requirement of the opponent having to attack first, which means at +2 Rat 1hkos basically every Mon that outspeeds (I think the only exception is Leafeon who you can run jolly for if it causes issues). Where it differentiates itself from Pawniard as a priority sweeper is its simultaneous wall breaking power. +2 silk scarf double edge 1hkos Barbaracle after rocks, 2hkos defensive carracosta, and 1hkos phys def tangela after rocks and a spike. For normal immunities and 4x resists, +2 life orb crunch 1hkos phys def gourgeist-super, and even without the life orb 2hkos spdef probopass after rocks.

The only real issue is missing! But it's still a really nice wallbreaker and sweeper in one. In terms of the move options I've gave it, I tend to prefer silk scarf with return as you get most of the same KOs but you can take a hit during set up and not die next turn due to life orb / double edge recoil. Just give it memento support to set up (Jumpluff is a nice partner) and watch it sweep late game.

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Solrock @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake / Baton Pass

I was looking at Lunatone when I saw its Rock Polish set and thought why not with Solrock? Solrock has a better Rock STAB while losing a bit of damage on the Psychic STAB. While this set does lose to Carracosta, unlike the other, it can take on Misdreavus better bar a burn as well as doing better against Grumpig and Lickilicky.
Tried this in some games. It isnt that bad, but I cant find a valid reason to use Rock Polish Solrock over Shell Smash Carracosta or Barbaracle other than Zen Headbutt, which is less reliable weaker than Lunatone's Psychic, which is important especially if running a Rock Polish set, as you need more power as possible. Carracosta and Barbacle both have enough niches to completely outshine Solrock's ones, in my opinion. The most important being access to Shell Smash, and priority Aqua Jet for Carracosta, which makes it harder to revenge kill. Earthquake can be nice, but I think this in general struggles finish off teams, and still shares most flaws with Lunatone.

It isnt that bad, but I cant find a valid reason to use Rock Polish Solrock over Shell Smash Carracosta
I was looking at Lunatone when I saw its Rock Polish set and thought why not with Solrock?
While this set does lose to Carracosta.
Zen Headbutt, which is less reliable weaker than Lunatone's Psychic
Solrock has a better Rock STAB while losing a bit of damage on the Psychic STAB.
In my opinion, I think you should have paid more attention to what Ben Ohver wrote, Raiza.
Not being rude, by the way, just letting you know that you were kind of repeating what Ben already said & you did not add much to the evaluation of Solrock.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
In my opinion, I think you should have paid more attention to what Ben Ohver wrote, Raiza.
The first two quotes don't make sense together, and mean different things.
Regarding the last point, yes Stone Edge provides a bit more power, but it is riskier than Ancient Power too, so having the two main STABs which have a possibility of missing isn't great to start off. Also having the Psychic-type STAB stronger than the Rock-type one is better than the opposite, as Lunatone is mainly used for its Psychic-type STAB. Lunatone counters and checks are most of the time worn down, such as Grumpig, while others can be played around because they lack immediate recovery, such as Hypno, others are also uncommon lately, such as Lickilicky. While, unfortunately, Solrock's checks are more durable, mentioning things like Tangela and Gourgeist-XL, and Solrock lacks that bit of power on the Psychic-type STAB, which is the most important, to even attempt a clean, which is still difficult for Lunatone too. If you want to run a good lategame setup sweeper and you really want a stronger physical Rock-type use Carracosta and Barbaracle, as I and most people already said.
There's not much to evaluate, it's a pretty straightforward Pokemon to talk about, this post should have cleared your ideas.

Last edited:
The first two quotes don't make sense together, and mean different things.
Regarding the last point, yes Stone Edge provides a bit more power, but it is riskier than Ancient Power too, so having the two main STABs which have a possibility of missing isn't great to start off. Also having the Psychic-type STAB stronger than the Rock-type one is better than the opposite, as Lunatone is mainly used for its Psychic-type STAB. Lunatone counters and checks are most of the time worn down, such as Grumpig, while others can be played around because they lack immediate recovery, such as Hypno, others are also uncommon lately, such as Lickilicky. While, unfortunately, Solrock's checks are more durable, mentioning things like Tangela and Gourgeist-XL, and Solrock lacks that bit of power on the Psychic-type STAB, which is the most important, to even attempt a clean, which is still difficult for Lunatone too. If you want to run a good lategame setup sweeper and you really want a stronger physical Rock-type use Carracosta and Barbaracle, as I and most people already said.
There's not much to evaluate, it's a pretty straightforward Pokemon to talk about, this post should have cleared your ideas.
That's a lot better in my opinion. This really does show that Solrock may not be as good as Lunatone does due to lack of power for the right STAB since psychic is the more preferred STAB to use due to the way the meta is. Also, both STABS that Solrock has do have the probability to miss unlike Lunatone which is better in this meta. That is most of what I learned from what you said which is a lot more detailed & less copyish than your last statement. Looks like you proved your own self wrong. Thanks for a good reply, by the way.

Some sympathic researches I made :

Gogoat @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Milk Drink

Definitely not its best set, but this is an interesting lure. Special Gogoat hits hard, keeping a decent bulk. 76 EV speed in order to outspeed Special Poliwrath.

252+ SpA Life Orb Gogoat Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Avalugg: 192-227 (48.8 - 57.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Gogoat Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jumpluff: 322-380 (110.6 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Gogoat Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 351-413 (86.8 - 102.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Gogoat Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Armaldo: 278-328 (78.5 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Gogoat Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper: 227-269 (70.2 - 83.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

The set is a sympathic lure and can probably work with the right support, luring and hitting hard physical walls.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall
- Hypnosis

Standard SubPunch Wrath, with Hypnosis, crippling counters such as Gourgeist without Insomnia or Roselia and forcing switches. Not really an innovation but just an underrated set.

And finally the most successful thing I tested :

Krokorok @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Really nice lead. 184 Spe allows to outspeed Jolly 252 Kricketune, keeping a great bulk, paired with Intimidate.
Defensive Krokorok can win its match-ups against a lot of current leads. Kricketune is beaten, Golem too.
Armaldo without X-Scissor is walled, and taunted anyway. He has just some troubles against Roselia (Offensive OHKO him). Probopass is also one of the biggest victim for Krokorok. However, warning to Piloswine who can 2HKO him quite easily with Icicle Spear. But most of the time, Krokorok will achieve its mission without any difficuties. I'm wondering what this thing is D+ tbh.

-1 252 Atk Golem Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Eviolite Krokorok: 112-133 (34.5 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Armaldo X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Eviolite Krokorok: 204-242 (62.9 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Piloswine Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Eviolite Krokorok: 186-222 (57.4 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Thanks for reading this. :)

(Credits for Goldtamerman for the lovely Gogoat's sprite :) : http://goldtamerman.deviantart.com/)

Galbiaedit: removed Archen because the calcs were pretty irrelevant and Hex because egenerally ineffective on such a fire type bait

Last edited by a moderator:
Some sympathic researches I made :

Gogoat @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Milk Drink

Definitely not its best set, but this is an interesting lure. Special Gogoat hits hard, keeping a decent bulk. 76 EV speed in order to outspeed Special Poliwrath.

252+ SpA Life Orb Gogoat Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Avalugg: 192-227 (48.8 - 57.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Gogoat Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jumpluff: 322-380 (110.6 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Gogoat Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 351-413 (86.8 - 102.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Gogoat Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Armaldo: 278-328 (78.5 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Gogoat Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper: 227-269 (70.2 - 83.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

The set is a sympathic lure and can probably work with the right support, luring and hitting hard physical walls.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall
- Hypnosis

Standard SubPunch Wrath, with Hypnosis, crippling counters such as Gourgeist without Insomnia or Roselia and forcing switches. Not really an innovation but just an underrated set.

And finally the most successful thing I tested :

Krokorok @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Really nice lead. 184 Spe allows to outspeed Jolly 252 Kricketune, keeping a great bulk, paired with Intimidate.
Defensive Krokorok can win its match-ups against a lot of current leads. Kricketune is beaten, Golem too.
Armaldo without X-Scissor is walled, and taunted anyway. He has just some troubles against Roselia (Offensive OHKO him). Probopass is also one of the biggest victim for Krokorok. However, warning to Piloswine who can 2HKO him quite easily with Icicle Spear. But most of the time, Krokorok will achieve its mission without any difficuties. I'm wondering what this thing is D+ tbh.

-1 252 Atk Golem Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Eviolite Krokorok: 112-133 (34.5 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Armaldo X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Eviolite Krokorok: 204-242 (62.9 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Piloswine Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Eviolite Krokorok: 186-222 (57.4 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Thanks for reading this. :)

(Credits for Goldtamerman for the lovely Gogoat's sprite :) : http://goldtamerman.deviantart.com/)
The set you posted for Krokorok is why it's even ranked. Its not really "defensive" either. Also Kricketune is more or less irrelevant with Leavanny around. I used to run max speed on Krokorok. It is a cool taunt rocks pokemon though. It was weird to see it move down on viability ranks..
Oh and.. lol hypnosis poliwrath.

galbiaedit: shuddup hypnosis wins games

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, sorry I was thinking it was for the standard Choice Scarf set (I guess the Scarf is outclassed by Mightyena but nevermind), so please excuse my behavior :) . Yeah, but I guess that Kricketune is enough relevant to be mentionned.
And Hypnosis is a legit move guy. Yeah, the accuracy is low, but Hypnosis is sometimes used for a surprise effect.
(I'm new in PU so I don't have any exemples, but I can show you good LC players using Hypnosis like SubNosis Gastly or Hypnosis Ponyta.)
And for curiosity, what is the purpose of running max speed ?

Well, sorry I was thinking it was for the standard Choice Scarf set (I guess the Scarf is outclassed by Mightyena but nevermind), so please excuse my behavior :) . Yeah, but I guess that Kricketune is enough relevant to be mentionned.
And Hypnosis is a legit move guy. Yeah, the accuracy is low, but Hypnosis is sometimes used for a surprise effect.
(I'm new in PU so I don't have any exemples, but I can show you good LC players using Hypnosis like SubNosis Gastly or Hypnosis Ponyta.)
And for curiosity, what is the purpose of running max speed ?
I used it mainly for faster taunts and stallbreaking. To be fair I never sat down and figured out a legit benchmark.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well max speed lets you outspeed stuff like Solrock and Taunt it before it uses Stealth Rock or Will-O-Wisp on you or Drifblim from burning it or setting up Substitute. Not really common mons, but max speed has its perks.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As the person writing the analysis, Krokorok is ranked for its offensive set. Max attack max speed jolly is the preferred spread and it has a niche in taunt+knock+rocks that makes it really annoying to deal with, as well as doing things like being a good Arbok check. Pursuit is also a viable option. I've tested defensive and imo it's not worth running over gabite, which lacks taunt + knock but is so much better overall

Specially Defensive Tangela
Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Ancient Power
- Toxic
In general, specially defensive tangela is outclassed by Roselia, but, tangela can walls both physically and specially sides. Also, spd allows it to safe switch on poliwrath
hide=Evs details:
spd and hp isnt nothing in special, but speed allows it outspeeding other tangelas
/hide
hide=calcs
252+ SpA Poliwrath Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Tangela: 116-138 (34.8 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Poliwrath Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 194-230 (58 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
/hide
PS:too lazy to ask again how to hide

Just a question, why Archen and Misdreavus Hex are considered as bad gimmicks.
I can understand Archen is quite frail and slow and looks like a gimmick (Even if for me it has some interesting niches) but why Misdreavus ?
Hex is not that gimmick and I don't see the problem with it. (That's just a question, I'm not here for contesting anything.)

Just a question, why Archen and Misdreavus Hex are considered as bad gimmicks.
I can understand Archen is quite frail and slow and looks like a gimmick (Even if for me it has some interesting niches) but why Misdreavus ?
Hex is not that gimmick and I don't see the problem with it. (That's just a question, I'm not here for contesting anything.)
Well the calcs you posted about Archen are pretty irrelevant (i mean it kills Rotom-F with Stone Edge but when is that going to happen?) and you kinda answer yourself about that. Regarding Hex on Misdreavus the fact that the Pokemon itself lures already Fire-types in like mad and the fact that in such an offensive metagame Misdreavus rarely has time to Wisp and attack a target makes it less effective than Shadow Ball with little real benefits over attacking the target twice. For the same reason i found Thunder Wave on Misdreavus to be an effective set (maybe even with Hex tho i've ran Foul Play over Shadow Ball a few times) like this:

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 20 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split / Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Taunt

Yeah, that was in order to show the damages on some PU mons.
But yeah, right, Rotom's calc is pretty useless.

I already saw Hex Spam, but yeah, probably on the Defensive set this is not the best choice.
Thanks for answering. :)

Reactions: g

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
So, I started using this Misdreavus set a little while ago, and saw some really nice results with it. It's especially great when someone is using a slower Rocks lead (e.g. Probopass, Torterra, Carracosta, Piloswine, Golem, etc.), given Misdreavus' nice speed stat outspeeds every relevant Hazard setter except for Leavanny. Essentially, with this set you're able to reflect the incoming entry hazard back to your opponent's side, then Taunt your opponent, thus preventing the Entry hazard from going up. It's given me the momentum in many matches, and can be a decent catch-all if you think a status may be incoming as well. I fought Megazard Z with this set recently (despite losing to him), and he can also tell you that it's annoying af, lol.

Hermione (Misdreavus) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Magic Coat

Set Details:
I set the Speed to hit 240, which outspeeds Adamant 252 Spe Mightyena by 1 point and everything else below that speed tier, so that you can Burn before it Crunches or Subs. You can run more Speed and less Defense to stop other, faster leads like Onix and Solrock from getting up Rocks on the turn after you Magic Coat, but that's up to your discretion. Onix will often Taunt first turn in order to prevent your Taunt (which is reflected by Magic Coat anyway), so the Speed can be used for other dedicated leads ranging from Kricketune, Krokorok, Solrock, Monferno, all the way up to Gabite. Misdreavus can hit up to 295 Speed, so its EV spread really just depends on how much bulk you want it to have, and what leads you need it to outspeed.
Like Galbia's set above, Will-O-Wisp can easily be exchanged for Thunder Wave, which cripples Flash Fire switch-ins like Ninetales and Rapidash who might be expecting WoW. The status you want to use is also up to you and what kind of team you need this Misdreavus for.
Your main issue with this set will be countering strong Normal types who aren't bothered by Status, like Ursaring, Facade Stoutland, and even Raticate.
Obviously, leads with a Mental Herb, though rare, can still get up hazards against this Misdreavus if played well.

Replays:
Against Frogeggs : http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-227739782
3 Turn Forfeit against random ladder guy: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-227735402
Match against low ladder opponent with Carbink (no need to watch past beginning): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-227738609

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)