Bad Luck You've Had So Far

There was a time when I was going through the Battle Maison with a singles team of Sableye, Dragalge, and Mega Gallade.

Ffffffarceur (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

Nickname comes from its ability name in French (Farceur) and its ability to induce rage (hence the repeated F's).

Nah on acid (Dragalge) @ Draco Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Draco Meteor

Nickname is based on the character Nah from Fire Emblem Awakening, whose dragon form is a red similar to the red on Dragalge's head, and that it's Poison-type. Speed investment serves to creep past Abomasnow 3 and 4 (thanks to the speed tier list).

Heinkel (Gallade) (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Nickname is based on the character of the same name from Bravely Default, mostly due to them both being knight-like.
I was surprised to find that I had made it to round 44 of Super Singles. I was up against a Life Orb Tornadus (the last Pokémon on the opponent's team), and I only had a full HP Dragalge left. I ran a calc on how much damage Hurricane would do:

252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Hurricane vs. 188 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge: 99-118 (60.3 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO​

I was like, "Hey, I can easily live a Hurricane and KO with Draco Meteor (or Dragon Pulse; I'm not sure how much HP the Tornadus had remaining)." Much to my simultaneous surprise and dismay, Dragalge's HP bar went straight from 164 to 0. It didn't make sense to me until I saw the striking words, "Coup critique!" (I play the game in French.) That said, now that I look back at it, even a critical OHKO isn't guaranteed.

252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Hurricane vs. 188 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge on a critical hit: 149-177 (90.8 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO​

(For the record, I can say for sure the Tornadus was Timid because it outsped Mega Gallade.)
But, hey, a number of other things could have gone wrong, like possibly Hurricane confusing, or Draco Meteor missing if I had chosen that move. It's all part of the game, yeah? Plus, even if I hadn't lost that battle, I was bound to lose eventually. Heheh...heh.

I managed to finally find an Outstanding Kyurem with 31 IVs in HP, SpA, and Speed. Problem is, that Synchronise didn't kick in that time. A Serious nature just wasn't what I wanted. Still haven't managed to find a similar one with Modest.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Played through the Battle Tower in Emerald for a little bit last night, and one of the Rank 7 trainers ended up using a Shiny Snorlax against me.

To add salt to the wound, this is the 4th Shiny Pokemon I've met in this fashion (Teddiursa, Crobat, Wailord, and now the Snorlax). -.-

Battle Tower in Crystal, lost to a Hitmonchan whose Focus Band activated three times in a row.

Got burned by Scald three times in a row, the fourth didn't because all my Pokemon were burned already (but I guess everyone's been through that.)

Got hit by seven Focus Blast in a row. Focus Miss, my ass. And no, no accuracy boosts involved.

Not hitting a Hydro Pump in 4 attempts before losing to someone with a shitty team on the OU ladder (said person has a Meowstic, AV Entei, Dusclops and Modest Non-Mega Alakazam). Also, Jirachi getting frozen to a predicted Ice Beam and hitting myself in confusion 5 times in a row after being confused by a Prankster Confuse Ray Sableye. (and this caused me to lose to yet another shitty team, this one with CF Sableye, Snorlax and Arcanine)

Reactions: JES
I've accidently checked the IVs of the free Camerupt with Cameruptite in Alpha Sapphire (I use it as my Magma Armor Pokémon for breeding) and found out that its best IV is in Speed. Speed. The lowest stat on it at Base 40/20 (regular/Mega).
Thank goodness I wouldn't use it anyway, but still.

So I'm currently hunting Dittos for certain natures. I'm getting things that, under most circumstances would be good, like Timid, Calm, Modest, etc. But I need Quiet and Brave...

I don't have the replay, but in a recent randbat, my Dragonceus got frozen on the very first Ice Beam from the opposing Suicune (at least I unfroze just in time), then just when I finished setting up 6 CMs alongside it, I got critted right after my last CM (and, needless to say, got OHKOed). Later in the game, my Vaporeon's Scald didn't burn for five turns in a row. Ugh...

I was playing X and wanted a Snorlax as a special wall. To do that, I had to get a female Snorlax using a Ditto and the Snorlax that was blocking the bridge.
Never did get the female Snorlax.

I was playing X and wanted a Snorlax as a special wall. To do that, I had to get a female Snorlax using a Ditto and the Snorlax that was blocking the bridge.
Never did get the female Snorlax.
Snorlax has a 12.5% chance (1 in 8) of being female. If you want to try going for it; I recommend grabbing a Pokémon that's both Male and has Cute Charm - a secondary effect of Cute Charm is that if the Pokémon that has it is in the first slot of the party, any Pokémon you run into has a 2 in 3 chance of being the opposite gender of the Pokémon regardless of their usual gender percentages (discounting, of course, Pokémon who have no genders or cannot be female or male like tauros or jynx, respectively)

I was facing Glacia last night:
Her entire team revolves around Hail --> Blizzard. Here's how it went:

*hail is falling*
Froslass used Blizzard!
Mightyena is frozen solid!
Come back, Mightyena!
Go, Swampert!
Swampert used Earthquake!
Froslass used Blizzard!
Swampert is frozen solid!

That, or having my Mightyena hit itself with confusion four times in a row until it fainted (in a different attempt).

Man, Glacia was so annoying. When it comes to the E4, I rarely have a team that can easily defeat Steel or Ice.
Tell me about it. My Masquerain and Mightyena can sweep the first two easy, and my Swampy and Latios should be able to get through Drake, but the only thing I have to beat Glacia with is a Manectric.

Battling Candice in Platinum. Killed the first three with my Infernape, then Froslass came in.

Snow Cloak caused attacks to miss ~5 times, without a hit at all from Infernape (think it had three opportunities, with no Double Team). Blacked out, tried again. Exactly the same thing happened, and then again a third time.

I didn't know much about the game at the time, so wasn't sure why the Flame Wheels were missing. I looked up Candice's team, and noticed that Froslass had Snow Cloak. The luck meant I was actually convinced that it made the Pokémon avoid all Fire-type attacks.

Playing a Black 2 Nuzlocke. I'm doing pretty well going into Castelia, maybe one Poké lost and levels about on par with Burgh. I go to the Desert Resort, do some grinding there. Go back to the Castelia Gym and fight Burgh.

He took out five of my Pokémon in that battle, all due to critical hits. I finally beat him with my last Pokémon, limped into the Desert Resort, ran into a wild Darumaka, got my Servine killed, and whited out.

I'll get you for this, Burgh!

A couple hours ago, playing Random Battles on Showdown, I got no flinches with eight Serene Grace Dunsparce's Headbutt (60% chance to flinch, same as Jirachi's Iron Head, to put it simply) in a row.

Oh, and getting all the crits when the the opponent is like at 15% health or when Hydro Pumping a Geodude (a.k.a. it would die anyway)

Surfing around the Battle Resort, trying to find good Hidden Pokémon using the DexNav. I fight a Pelipper that looked promising, but Waterfall lands a crit and kills. I then run into a Mantyke, but Waterfall lands another critical hit and OHKO's. I run into another Pelipper, and OHKO that too after another crit from WF. Finally, I run into another Mantyke, don't land a critical hit, and catch it. I'm now looking to breed it as a special wall.

I also caught a 3IV Groudon last week...in HP, Def, and SpD.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Surfing around the Battle Resort, trying to find good Hidden Pokémon using the DexNav. I fight a Pelipper that looked promising, but Waterfall lands a crit and kills. I then run into a Mantyke, but Waterfall lands another critical hit and OHKO's. I run into another Pelipper, and OHKO that too after another crit from WF. Finally, I run into another Mantyke, don't land a critical hit, and catch it. I'm now looking to breed it as a special wall.

I also caught a 3IV Groudon last week...in HP, Def, and SpD.
False Swipe is your friend.

Also, all Legendaries are guranteed 3 perfect IVs from X and Y onward.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't know where it is.

I knew that, but getting a defensive Groudon kind of ruins my plans for that thing.
That's what the Internet is for.

The way you worded it made it sound like you didn't know about the 3 IV thing and just got shafted by the RNG. Also Defensive P-Don is actually legit.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)