Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just regarding the recent suspect testing, I wonder how Magneton would do in today's RU metagame? Could Scarf Analytic Magneton serve as a potential check to Cobalion? Just a simple Q
- Vacant
Seeing as how Magneton is weak to Close Combat, and that Scarf would mean it would be to weak to OHKO Cobalion, then no, it's not a good check to Cobalion.

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Hello, what would the standard spread for SR Mega Steelix be? It seems to be quite good in the metagame, but I couldn't find any detailed resources with the sets :/

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
There are basically 2 variatios of the set but with ev spread variations:

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

Full SpD, defense is already gargantuous so dont need to invest in that much. Provides a pretty efficient psychic type and being a really sturdy wall in general.

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

A more offensive approach. More firepower from the get-go and with a great 125 attack stat it can hit pretty hard. Speed evs are to outspeed 0 speed rhyperior, 0 speed togetic and 44 speed spiritomb

Of course there are both variants but I would call this the most common. There is a physically defensive one but I dont remember it so I owe you that one.

Hopefully it is still a simple answer o.o

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Would Magneton be good in the current RU?
Magneton isn't that reliable in the current metagame. It faces stiff competition as an Electric-type from the likes of Rotom-C (faster Scarf and Specs user) Jolteon (fast without a Scarf, letting it run LO / Specs to boost power) and Eelektross (slower Volt Switch and better over all type coverage for a tank in the current meta) and it has an unfavorable matchup against many of the more common threats in RU (Cobalion, Mega Steelix, Mega Camerupt, Delphox, and Houndoom are just some examples of rather common Pokemon that have few issues coming in and / or KOing Magneton) The two Megas I mentioned are undoubtedly the biggest problems for Magneton since they can take multiple Flash Cannons and are completely immune to Magneton's Electric moves. The other 3 common Electric-types I mentioned have ways around these two (Jolteon at least has HP Grass / Ice for neutral damage on both, Rotom-C has STAB Leaf Storm, and while Eel does struggle vs. Mega Camel, it does have Flamethrower and an EQ immunity vs. Mega Lix)

Magneton isn't that reliable in the current metagame. It faces stiff competition as an Electric-type from the likes of Rotom-C (faster Scarf and Specs user) Jolteon (fast without a Scarf, letting it run LO / Specs to boost power) and Eelektross (slower Volt Switch and better over all type coverage for a tank in the current meta) and it has an unfavorable matchup against many of the more common threats in RU (Cobalion, Mega Steelix, Mega Camerupt, Delphox, and Houndoom are just some examples of rather common Pokemon that have few issues coming in and / or KOing Magneton) The two Megas I mentioned are undoubtedly the biggest problems for Magneton since they can take multiple Flash Cannons and are completely immune to Magneton's Electric moves. The other 3 common Electric-types I mentioned have ways around these two (Jolteon at least has HP Grass / Ice for neutral damage on both, Rotom-C has STAB Leaf Storm, and while Eel does struggle vs. Mega Camel, it does have Flamethrower and an EQ immunity vs. Mega Lix)
Don't some eels Run aqua tail?

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Because there is little reason to use it over the many other better physical attackers in the tier and Cincinno provides very little synergy to teams, if any at all.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Could I possibly get some high-skill replays of Noivern using a Taunt-Roost set? I wanted to clarify my initial points on Noivern in the NP thread but I would like to at least get an idea of what the set is doing.

Why is Typhlosion rank E?
As well as what Arikado said, when Typhlosion was brought up for discussion last time, many lesser-experienced players were using extremely poor arguments to justify its use. As such, the thread became an absolute pile of garbage, and because of that Typhlosion was blacklisted for future discussion, and thus moved to E-rank.

Llamas edit: also it's BL3 so it has to be ranked

SS edit: Good point.

Last edited:
Thank you for both replies. Arikado said fire type is outclassed by Delphox and Houndoom. That includes Pyroar? STAB HyperVoice seems to be very good (Posting this here cuz i'm a nooby dooby :P)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thank you for both replies. Arikado said fire type is outclassed by Delphox and Houndoom. That includes Pyroar? STAB HyperVoice seems to be very good (Posting this here cuz i'm a nooby dooby :P)
Pyroar is also outclassed by Delphox and Houndoom, for the same reasons mostly.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Generally, the Fire-types you want to stick to in RU are Delphox, Houndoom, Mega Camerupt, and Emboar. Fox and Doom are faster Fire-types while Mega Camel and Boar are better suited as wallbreakers. The farthest you should reach for a Fire-type (imo) is Fletchinder, which I don't consider a true Fire-type as it doesn't use Fire-type moves for offense.

Generally, the Fire-types you want to stick to in RU are Delphox, Houndoom, Mega Camerupt, and Emboar. Fox and Doom are faster Fire-types while Mega Camel and Boar are better suited as wallbreakers. The farthest you should reach for a Fire-type (imo) is Fletchinder, which I don't consider a true Fire-type as it doesn't use Fire-type moves for offense.
Isn't Pyroar faster than both Delphox and Houndoom? Not that it's better than them, for what I'm assuming is it's lack of bulk and shallow movepool.

EonX

Battle Soul
Isn't Pyroar faster than both Delphox and Houndoom? Not that it's better than them, for what I'm assuming is it's lack of bulk and shallow movepool.
Well, all 3 of them lack bulk. The difference is that Delphox and Houndoom have moves that give them added utility that Pyroar simply doesn't have. Delphox has access to Calm Mind for sweeping and Switcheroo for Choice sets. Houndoom has Sucker Punch and Pursuit to handle most Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon in the tier (very useful for the many Fighting-types of RU) and has access to Nasty Plot to sweep / wallbreak. Pyroar has none of these and doesn't contribute much defensive synergy to teams whereas Houndoom is completely immune to Psychic and Fire while Delphox has a key Fighting resistance that can let it take an unboosted hit upon switch-in if the situation is dire enough (it would rather not, but it's better than not being able to at all)

Gimmick

Electric potential
How different is BW RU from ORAS RU? I considered RU to be a strong tier for me in BW but I haven't even touched a tier other than OU in ORAS until now. What are the biggest changes to be aware of from BW to XY/ORAS RU? :x

edit: Also what's the inside joke of Druddigon being listed as broken in the Role Compendium thread? lol

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
How different is BW RU from ORAS RU? I considered RU to be a strong tier for me in BW but I haven't even touched a tier other than OU in ORAS until now. What are the biggest changes to be aware of from BW to XY/ORAS RU? :x

edit: Also what's the inside joke of Druddigon being listed as broken in the Role Compendium thread? lol
Druddigon dates back to a community joke back in BW. As far as the differences go, ORAS feels a lot faster than BW was / is. BW was more of a balance / bulky offense metagame for the most part while it's a lot easier to go more offensive in ORAS due to high level threats, such as Cobalion, Noivern (currently being suspected) Tyrantrum, Houndoom, and Meloetta which simply weren't around in BW, and not quite as many defensive Pokemon to handle them all at once. ORAS RU recently lost a lot of major defensive Pokemon in Cresselia, Slowking, and Doublade in the May tier shifts, which has caused many Fighting-types (and offensive teams in general) to be on the rise.

tehy

Banned deucer.
druddigon was just the strongest mon, and also user trop really despised it

it's pretty different, with BW mechanics, a lot of different mons and no megas and all that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)