Challenger Approaching- Art Contest!

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
READ POST 7

Ladies and gentlemen of Smeargle's Studio.

It's that time of year again.

You got it: SMASH TIME.

As I’m sure many of you may have heard, the newest update for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS recently released, bringing with it a host of buffs, nerfs, and general fixes.

But the most exciting thing about the new update had nothing to do with already existing characters. It marked the release of the first-ever character offered as downloadable content: Mewtwo! Despite being a veteran fighter (last seen: Melee), Mewtwo’s release as a playable character means that there may be tons more potential DLC fighters waiting in the wings, and along with the newly unveiled Smash Ballot feature this means the player-base is more pumped than ever for the next confirmed Smasher!

So what does all this mean for Smeargle’s Studio?

Contest time, of course! :)

With all the hullaballoo over the coming waves of DLC characters, which Pokemon-franchise character do you think deserves a position in the Smash roster next?

The contest theme will be based around the above question: Just which Pokemon franchise character would you like to see most in Smash?

Here are the rules regarding your entry:

1. Pick a single entity* from the Pokemon franchise. This is going to be the character(s) you’ll be pushing for in Smash next! It’s alright to pick characters others have already picked, as long as there’s no blatant plagiarism.

(if you have any questions about what refers to a single entity, feel free to ask. Groups of characters akin to Ice Climbers, Rosalina & Luma, or Pokemon Trainer are considered appropriate as long as you include some explanation flavor-wise.)

2. Write a short description of your proposed Smasher, including some basic reasoning as to why you think they are important characters and how they could be interesting in Smash.

3. Now for the main part of your entry: you must include at MINIMUM one picture depicting your character(s) as you would imagine them in Smash. Anything is fine: anything from their ‘official render’ art, to a picture of them battling it out with other Smashers, relaxing after a match with some good food, or even participating in some of the Single-Player modes like Classic/All-Star/Stadium! Basically, almost anything Smash-related should work just fine :D

4. Finally, for those who want to go the extra mile, you can try adding some supporting art or text (like descriptions of interesting specials or attacks you had ideas for, or maybe even taunts).

And here’s what you’ll be fighting for:

-Your pick from this large batch of spitbacks (list not yet uploaded, but will be in due time)

-free, top-priority (whatever that means) requests from renowned Smogon artists Arhops, aXl, Tikitik, f(x), and myself!

-A FABLED MEWTWO 3DS DOWNLOAD CODE, to use for yourself or give to a friend!

One GRAND PRIZE winner will get one free request from any two of the five artists mentioned above, the fabled MEWTWO 3DS DOWNLOAD CODE, and four ‘mons from the batch of spitbacks (list not yet updated, will be soon).

One second prize winner will get one free request from any two of the four remaining artists mentioned above, and wil get to pick three of the remaining ‘mons in the spitback list!

One third-prize winner will get one free request from the last remaining artist and two of the ‘mons leftover in the spitbacks batch.

And two honourable-mentions will win a spitback each from the spitbacks list!

ALL ENTRIES WILL BE DUE BY 12:00 PM EST June 10th, 2015 (unless there aren’t enough entries by then). Good luck!

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread or pm me for more info. Refrain from making reservation posts—at least show some sort of WIP or give some information instead of a one-liner about what you’ll be doing. Thanks!

Last edited:
Some more information would be appreciated, such as who the judges will be and how they'll decide on the winners. That said, I hope this is the right place to post. Really exciting idea for a contest and I hope it gets lots of entries.

In my imagination, I'd use my request to get aXl to start working on the XY sprites again. ;p

If my darn scanner would work I would totally take part in this! Sounds like a cool idea and I could use a 3DS code, I gave mine to a friend

Until then it looks like I'll be a lowly spectator... for now. >:D

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Woo I'll join already starting to sketch out some ideas. I will have so many supporting images too.
Just a few questions however. "Your pick from this large batch of spitbacks (list not yet uploaded, but will be in due time)" I might just be too dumb to understand this, but I'm not quite sure what this means. Can you explain or reword it?
I also already have Mewtwo on both of my consoles from the Club Nintendo rewards. This doesn't go for just me, but if any of the winners already have Mewtwo could we possibly have a prize swap out such as Lucas who comes in Junes, around when the contest ends?

"Your pick from this large batch of spitbacks (list not yet uploaded, but will be in due time)" I might just be too dumb to understand this, but I'm not quite sure what this means. Can you explain or reword it?
"Spitbacks" is Wi-Fi lingo for the Pokemon you get while breeding in-game that aren't perfect, typically because they don't have the right IVs, but generally have good abilities/nature/moves etc. that make them worth trading to other people. Just to clear this up for anyone else who might be wondering.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Some more information would be appreciated, such as who the judges will be and how they'll decide on the winners. That said, I hope this is the right place to post. Really exciting idea for a contest and I hope it gets lots of entries.

In my imagination, I'd use my request to get aXl to start working on the XY sprites again. ;p
As for judging, there will be a small panel voting on who wins--I'm still organizing it at the moment but the full panel will be up soon!

Woo I'll join already starting to sketch out some ideas. I will have so many supporting images too.
Just a few questions however. "Your pick from this large batch of spitbacks (list not yet uploaded, but will be in due time)" I might just be too dumb to understand this, but I'm not quite sure what this means. Can you explain or reword it?
I also already have Mewtwo on both of my consoles from the Club Nintendo rewards. This doesn't go for just me, but if any of the winners already have Mewtwo could we possibly have a prize swap out such as Lucas who comes in Junes, around when the contest ends?
I'd have to see about that, but I'm pretty sure the only way to get Lucas is to download him direct, so it would be impossible anyway. I can imagine some other ways to swap out a prize though, for example some extra requests or spitbacks, et cetera.

brightobject

there like moonlight
UPDATE: So apparently the Mewtwo 3DS code expires on the 31st of May so we're gonna have to do a little deadline bump if you guys want the code., but I don't want anyone to feel any more pressured than they have to be, so:

What we'll be doing is taking all entries, with TWO different deadlines: May 29th and the original of June 10th. The panel (TBA) will do the judging from all available entries on May 29th and give out a Mewtwo code to one of those entries, then on June 10th judge again to see who will receive the rest of the prizes (same as original, minus the Mewtwo code). Thank you all for being understanding!

brightobject

there like moonlight
Awesome work Bummer :) however, you're going to have to include a short description of your proposed Smasher, including some basic reasoning as to why you think they are important and how they could be interesting in Smash if you want your entry to be legitimate :(. Nothing too long, one or two sentences should be fine!

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I told you I will have a ton of info and supporting art. You've been warned.

May Hoenn Pokemon Trainer Catches a fight! Hoenn Pokemon Trainer takes concepts from the original Pokemon Trainer from Super Smash Brothers Brawl. However this time the trainer uses 3 fully evolved starter Pokemon instead of the 1 base, 1 middle staged and 1 fully evolved. You are able to switch between 3 of fully evolved starter Pokemon Sceptile, Swampert, Blaziken and then back to Sceptile in that order when having the use of their Down Special (Down B).
Alt Descriptions: Normal: based off the original look of May from Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, the sleeves being off are a reference to concept art in the "New Hoenn Art Book" where May had no sleeves in her original design before ORAS redesigns. The book can be found here. May keeps her ORAS hair-do however
Second: May's OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire Design. Sceptile's color scheme is more based off Mega Rayquaza's while as Blaziken is based off Primal Groudon. and Swampert is based off Primal Kyogre
Third: May's Pokemon Emerald Design, with her ORAS hair style. Blaziken, is based off Infernape's colors, Sceptile is based off Torterra's and Swampert is based off Empoleon's. This is also a reference to how May came back in the anime in her Hoenn outfit during the DP anime's airing.
Forth: Zinnia pallet swap. Not a full on design change but made to look like Zinnia, which includes color changes and a design change on May's tanktop showing off Zinnia's shirt. Her Mega Bracelet is based off Zinnia's Mega anklet colors. Sceptile's colors is based off Salamence, Blaziken's is based off Altaria and Swampert is Tyrantrum, the colors of the Pokemon Zinnia owns the first time you battle her.
Fifth: Ash Ketchum color and clothes change. I decided to add some actual anime influence like most Pokemon have. This is directly based off Ash's design from the Pokemon Advance Generation Series, the Ruby and Sapphire anime. The Pokemon are based off Pokemon that Ash owns or evolutions of them. Sceptile is based off Meganium to represent Ash's Bayleef, some times in battle Sceptile may have a stick in it's mouth like Ash's. I thought these colors fit because Sceptile had a crush on Meganium. Blaziken is based off Charizard's color scheme, both tall fire types, it fit well., charizard is also in Smash 4 and Brawl. Swampert is based off Venusaur to represent Ash's Bulbasaur, they are both four legged fighters, along with Ivysaur being in brawl.
Sixth: Blue recolor outfit, more or less a reference to Sapphire's colors from the Pokemon Manga Pokemon Adventures. The color was made to be a "blue color scheme" The Pokemon Themselves are just in their shiny colorations.
Seventh: Cynthia Color scheme, Sceptile is based off garchomp, Blaziken is based off Lucario while Swampert is based loosely off Milotic. The pokemon they were based off of shared similar types to the pokemon's types or their mega evolution's types.
Eighth: Kris from Pokemon Crystal's color scheme, the Pokemon have no color based off color from any pokemon that relate to her what soever, instead they come Red's team in HGSS, Blaziken is based off Pikachu, Sceptile is based off Blastoise and Swampert is based off Snorlax. These were chosen for more color variation instead of the same similar colors I did before, along with giving a Blastoise alt to Sceptile because Blaziken had a Charizard alt and Swampert had a Venusaur alt. Red was also the "secret boss" in both GSC and HGSS.
The Pokemon themselves, along with May do have alternates which are different colors and such. Each Pokemon has a different "play style", Sceptile is a "medium" sized and medium weighted character who mostly relies on physical and some projectile attacks, Scepitle is agile, slow-medium paced, is fragile, and weak but quick succession of attacks. Blaziken is a medium sized and weighted, fast character who relies off physical attacks. He isn't as fragile as Sceptile but not as strong as bowser when getting attacked. Swampert is a heavy slow character, however he resists more attacks and is more powerful. He Fights with more projectiles. Swampert acts like a 4 legged animal much like Ivysaur for Brawl.

Generation is one of two generations to not get a representative through fighters. Mudkip, Torchic and Treeckom specifically their evolved forms are a few of the most recognizable Pokemon characters with Mudkip even becoming it's own "meme". Torchic has been a Pokeball in Brawl, and Blaziken has been a trophy and background/hazard in newer games. May is a highly popular human trainer on the other hand and the character has to choose one of the 3 starters. Generation 3 not only recently got a remake with hype, but Hoenn and Gen 3 as a whole has been easily debated as one of the best Pokemon regions and generation to date along side Generation 1.

Up Specials: Sceptile: Arial ace ("Big Cut" as a custom, doesn't alow a downward slash, but allows "A attacks"); Blaziken: High Jump Kick (takes recoil if attacks) (Brave Bird as custom); Swampert: Body Slam (Giga Impact as custom (stuns swampert when hits the ground))
Side Special: Sceptile: Leaf Blade (Dragon Claw as custom (gives fire damage but weaker); Blaziken: Blaze Kick (works like Falcon kick) (Flame Charge as special, weaker but faster); Swampert: Muddy Water (Surf as custom high but weaker).
Down Special: They all use this to switch to other characters. However they have customs for it Sceptile: Seedbomb, small explosions and switches, hurts user a bit and longer to perform; Blaziken; "Rolling Baton" (Baton Pass and Rolling kick) does a circle kick and switches, takes longer to perform; Swampert: Mud Sport then switches, causes small slips to anyone near by.
Neutral: Sceptile: Bullet seed (acts like flamethrower) (Leech seed as a custom (fires only one seed); Blaziken: Power Up Punch (charges) (Thunder punch as custom, this stuns for a half second); Swampert: Mud Shot (charges), (mud bomb as alternate, this is a stronger attack, but is slower and open for attack).
Final Smash: Mega Triple Finish!: All three Pokemon come out and show offer their faces.Sceptile then uses Frenzy, Swampert uses Hydrocanon, and Blaziken uses Blast Burn. The three move come in a spiraling mega lazer similar to Palutena and Mega Man's final smashes.
I'll explain these in some supporting art.

upload_2015-5-21_18-19-43.png
"Promotional artwork" similar to other newcomers.
SMASH!2.png
How Characters work

Final Smash Artwork

I'll add more support art later, by editing this post. This will mostly be attack examples and alternates.

Edit log:
  • Changed main file, added some extra details to May adding a Zipper. Added Alts to the supporting art list, along with information on them on the main information paragraph. Please note, the pictures are smaller and not to normal resolution and size. If you want the full size images, go ahead and ask!
  • Redoing the Trainer in the artwork, sorry for the notice, the update will be posted tommorow after the trainer is redone. Swampert, Sceptile and Blaziken will not be altered, costumes will have the new poses but stay the same.
  • New picture added with new characters, next update will have move examples
  • Added more supporting art and changes these include: moves and fighting changes, final smash depiction, alt changes, more alts added, "promotional artwork", fighting style depiction, new alts given explanation. Thought of Brendan removed.

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

(probs gonna touch it up later)​
My entry will be Scrafty!

So, to start off, my inclusion of Scrafty will be due to favoritism, and the idea that there's a considerable lack of "villainous" characters in smash. Not only that, but he's got a lot of potential for personality, expression, and even has a silly pants theme to go with it.

His move set will be based on a move set that I love most in fighting games: A Risk Taker. His specials and grabs are all about taking huge risks for a better reward, even trying to recover could be the one move to end the opponent, or leave him open to getting pummeled on.
For example, his Hi Jump Kick recovery move is all about trying to land the perfect shot, or making a huge blunder.

Scrafty's final smash is called "Masked Mode"!
This final smash functions similarly to mega evolutions, in that the player transforms into a much stronger form for a limited time, with a few altered effects:
  • Scrafty's appearance changes slightly. He dons the hood on his back.
  • Scrafty is invincible during the whole duration of the final smash.
  • Walking speed and jump height has a considerable increase.
  • All moves have priority now. All head-based attacks ignore super armor.
  • All moves that require charge up now take only half of the time.
  • Attacks that would detriment the player no longer do so. For example, if Scrafty misses a Hi-Jump Kick, he no longer gets recoil damage and no longer is stunned.
  • All attacks gain 2% damage and all throws gain 3% damage.
  • Scrafty's Snatch move can no longer be cancelled by the opponent. This means it can go for a full 10 seconds before the opponent is left out.
  • The major gimmick of his Final Smash is that all items that Scrafty walks over will be "stolen", which is automatically stored within his tail sack. This includes stealing items that the opponent has if Scrafty manages to walk over them. All moves will gain an additional 1% for every item that Scrafty has stolen, up to 10% additional damage. This only applies to items that are not "consumed". At the end of the final smash, Scrafty releases all of the stolen items around him.

(Shameless Edgy Alt does not actually do all of that. This is reality, man.)

Edit: Added in alts :p
Edit 2.0: Added in the description of the final smash

Last edited:
Orright, I think it's time I submitted mine.

Quite a few Pokemon were chosen from their prominence in the anime - it's why jiggypuff was in 64, why meowth was considered for it, why Pikachu's in (though he's the mascot anyway). I also hear a lot of people say "we need more villains in smash!". And who's a villainous Pokemon in the recent anime (who just so happens to be my favourite pokemon)?

Enter Malamar!

As with in the games, Malamar's strategy is to land Superpower as much as he can on his opponent to boost himself. It leaves him wide open, but if he lands it, his attack and defence grow stronger briefly; and if he lands more, he'll grow more and more powerful to become a terrifying force (to a cap, of course).

UPDATE: I finally got my moveset scanned! Hooray!!!!!!

Entry complete c:! Are you ready to face the turning tides?

Last edited:

Zoroark joins the battle!
The shadow pokemon Zoroark was the first generation V pokemon to be revealed, in Corocoro magazine. Known for his ability to shapeshift into almost any form, Zoro is a dark type, and, as such, relies on outwitting his foes with quick and devilish movements. In smash bros, Zoroark would be an unlockable character. His moveset is based around quick, agile, movements that deal less damage, and his speed is amazing on the ground. His speed in the air is great but his jump height is inferior to many other characters.
Moveset (basic)

moveset 1.jpg
Moveset: Special moves.
Zoro1.jpg
Illusion: Zoroark's main special is Illusion, where he transforms into the opponent directly in front of him (closest) and takes their exact appearance, moveset, and attributes as his own. The effect wears off if Zoroark takes damage up to 20% or is KO'd. After the move wears off, Zoroark must wait a period of time (10 seconds) until he is able to use it again.
Punishment: Zoroark's side B is the move Punishment, which is a counter-of-sorts. In exchange for a very short start-up and endlag, Zoroark must use the move in the direction of the attack. When the opponent hits during the 0.5 second flashing animation, they take twice the damage dealt to them, while Zoroark takes half and doesn't take knockback.
Pursuit: Zoroark dashes toward the opponent if on the ground, dealing 10% damage with minor endlag. If in the air, Zoroark jumps forward in the direction held by the control pad, unless an opponent is in the way, when he slices the opponent, dealing 10% damage. Zoroark cannot be hit during the movement of pursuit.
Night Daze: Zoroark's signature move is Night Daze: upon pressing Down B, Zoroark will raise a ball of shadow above his head, charging it until it shines, at which point the move can be dropped. If the button is pressed again, Zoroark will drop the ball, causing a shockwave reaction in the area in front and behind him, dealing up to 20 damage. This move can only be charged on the ground.

moveset 3.jpg
Taunts:
Down Taunt- Illusion: Zoroark briefly transforms into either charizard or pikachu. This also resets the effects of Illusion.
Side Taunt- Zoroark laughs darkly.
Up Taunt- Snarl. Zoroark snarls at the sky.

Zoroark sneaks into smash bros!
(edit)I'm probably going to have a cleaned up version of the movesets later

Last edited:

My entry at last!
My reason for choosing scizor is that he has plenty of interesting potential with his deceiving look that makes him look less bulky than he is. Also because he is a very popular pokemon within the community and can make an interesting playstyle
Scizor is a bulky and tough fighter with a moderate speed but nothing amazing and is capable of short bursts of high speed via moves such as bullet punch or aerial ace. Scizor's main strength is being harder to knock back because of his weight meaning he can be relentless in his attacks but he is weakened by his slow movement speed meaning it can be hard to get in range of his foe
Moveset
B: X-scissor
Slashes forward in an X motion, the purpose of the move is to push opponents away from him when they get to close however the endlag of the move leaves him open to retaliation if blocked or from other opponents
Side B: Bullet Punch
Scizor lunges forward with a single punch. The move allows scizor to cover great horizontal distance quickly. The attack itself isn't particularly damaging but can stun the opponent and will always make sure it inflicts damage before an opponents move
Up B: Aerial Ace
Scizor flies upwards slashing in the air. This move is a pretty standard recovery attack, it can alter it's direction in midair slightly but is mostly entirely vertical. The attack has decent strength and can knock the opponent away to make recovery easier
Down B: Superpower
Superpower is a very strong move capable of inflicting a lot of damage, however it requires precision and can leave yourself wide open afterwards, the move also weakens scizor for a short period of time and during this scizor is unable to use the move again
Final Smash: Mega Evolution!
Scizor mega evolves into mega scizor. This greatly buffs his prowess and gives him better reach, more agility and the ability to fly properly allowing for midair attacks. This final smash is similar to mega lucario or giga bowser in that it is just a simple powerup with an aesthetic change
Taunts:
1: Looks out of the screen and chomps both his claws at the 'camera' with his arms extended
2: Hovers into the air buzzing his wings, snaps his claws and then lowers down
3: Stretches one arm out in front of him and opens his claw wide before clamping it shut
Other notes:
Scizor is able to glide a bit and jump high but cannot truly fly because of his nature as a bulky attacker, most of his basic attacks are slow but strong blows with his claws

Last edited:

I'm glad to see that people are actually capable of putting thought into their choices here, cause I sure haven't outside of shamelessly ripping off Bummer. Heracross is good at fighting because FITE type and is superior to dumb lucario who sucks really badly and no one likes lucario. It can also tip over nerds with it's horn. Doing things is something Heracross is very good at.

brightobject

there like moonlight
UPDATE: Loving all the entries, keep 'em coming! :)

If you want your entries to be eligible for the Mewtwo 3DS code, they're due by 12:00 PM (noon) tomorrow!

brightobject

there like moonlight
OK, so the judges have spoken:

Our five-judge panel, consisting of Typhlito, Sephirona, MiniArchitect, SolarisFox, and myself, has decided to award the Mewtwo 3DS code to @OtterPower for his Malamar entry. Congratulations, OP!

In addition: I apologize for the lateness of this decision. We had actually finished judging a while back, but weren't able to post the announcement in the thread until now (read: I was being lazy, sorry :[).

Regardless, the contest still has a truckload more prizes to be had, so keep those entries coming! The spitback list will be updated soon!

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi all artists

I have already had two contest entries that I have good reason to believe were plagiarized via straight copy pasting and/or tracing. A reminder that this is an art contest, and you are judged on your artwork, so make sure it is yours. Considering there are prizes involved, if I believe your entry is not of your own creation, I will ask for some form of proof. If you cannot provide it, I'll ask for you to be disqualified.

Anyone who posts a plagiarized work will now be infracted. If you have any questions message myself, brightobject or one of the other smeargle mods.

Last edited:
the file I tried is too big (anyone please help!) but my entry will be sceptile
reasoning is, we already have a water and fire type starter, so grass, sceptile.
regular A, cut (can be charged)
side A, kind of like mewtwo's front air, but longer and less powerful
back A, continuous attacks from the tail.
down A, seed bomb, all around attack
up A, like a headbutt.
Regular B, energy ball, can be charged
side B leaf blade
up B just jumps hard ( meteor effect on those below)
down B, kind of like a short solar beam on both sides.
grab+ up hard leaf blade
grab+ down direct short solar beam
grab+ sides razor leafs.

brightobject

there like moonlight
the file I tried is too big (anyone please help!) but my entry will be sceptile
reasoning is, we already have a water and fire type starter, so grass, sceptile.
regular A, cut (can be charged)
side A, kind of like mewtwo's front air, but longer and less powerful
back A, continuous attacks from the tail.
down A, seed bomb, all around attack
up A, like a headbutt.
Regular B, energy ball, can be charged
side B leaf blade
up B just jumps hard ( meteor effect on those below)
down B, kind of like a short solar beam on both sides.
grab+ up hard leaf blade
grab+ down direct short solar beam
grab+ sides razor leafs.
contest's over, bud

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I hate to sound rude or give a complaint. However, it's been a little over two weeks at 20 days total since the contest has ended. We have yet to hear anything about the results. Many other users are also getting impatient, and we have yet to hear any new or at least what's taking so long to post any. May I at least ask when you plan to reveal the results?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)