Battle Spot Teambuilding Discussion & Help Thread (read post #453, page 19)

Ok thanks cant say and Creeper3971 . I just learnd that the rankings from global link are 1600+ only, and i am more often below it than above, and i am encountering a lot of dragon dance char Xs and no swords dance ones! I also survived a solar beam today with my hippowdon, even when i didnt change it to mixed bulk. I had today a lot of good battles with my two physical walls, hippowdon and avalugg, i used both of them in a lot of battles, as hippowdon checks fire types like blaziken and charizard X, and avalugg is able to live even the most powerful attacks of mega gyarados after some boosts.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
All right so Rotations Battle Spot is dead right now (and PS doesn't have a ladder for it for technical reasons) so I figured I'd use this time to get some help. Gravity seemed pretty simple so I decided I'd get into the meta with that
Meowstic @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Level: 57
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Gravity
- Heal Bell
- Reflect
- Light Screen

meow. Its role is to set Gravity. Heal Bell is a nice thing to have against random status, and screens are screens. I'm considering dropping the screens for Thunder Wave / Psyshock, but I'm a bit reluctant given how useful screens are in Rotations.

Crobat @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Infiltrator
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Super Fang
- Hypnosis
- Tailwind

Crobat's cool for getting past opposing screens and setting Tailwind in a pinch, but what I'm really all about here is that j u i c y Gravity/Hypnosis combo. Infiltrator also bypasses Safeguard, meaning that with Gravity up Crobat is getting incredibly fast 100% accurate Hypnosis off whenever it needs to. Pretty dastardly (and part of the reason I started playing Rotations!).

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 12 HP / 204 Atk / 4 Def / 36 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

I was originally considering running Choice Band Garchomp, but then realized that with support from Crobat I could easily run Swords Dance and cause even more mayhem. +2 Earthquakes hurt EVERYTHING under Gravity. I decided to go with Dragon Claw as opposed to a different Dragon STAB because it's more consistent regardless of field conditions, and Brick Break is filler to break screens (and I guess hit Kangaskhan without wasting Earthquake PP). I gave it Garchompite so that in the event that I have to enter a battle without my Kangaskhan, I still have a Mega Evolution. With Tailwind support I can make up for the lower Speed, and against bulkier teams I can afford to drop that for higher power. EV spread is from VGC (takes a Mega Manectric HP Ice if I recall) and I was too lazy to breed a new one.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Gravity
- Hydro Pump
- Blizzard
- Thunder

Starmie is a secondary Gravity setter and pretty generic special attacker. Figured I could use one of those in the event it has a good matchup, and its high BP attacks happen to hit a bunch of things super effective.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

IT'S KANGASKHAN BITCHES. With SD Chomp I don't really need Earthquake that much, so rather than breed another Kangaskhan specifically for Rotations I just went with my Doubles one. Fake Out is useful for free damage and hitting Talonflame.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 72 HP / 220 SpA / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 28 HP / 20 Atk / 29 Spe
- Protect
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave

Literally only a Talon check. I threw it on my team from my PC because I realized what I had before was ABSURDLY burd weak. I wouldn't use this otherwise.

What I'm mostly looking for is something to take on the role of Talonflame check that isn't really weak or doesn't mesh well with the team (that Heatran serves no good purpose...). Any other advice is helpful too :)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
One small thing I'd fix is putting Ancient Power somewhere on Heatran, possibly over Flash Cannon - it can't really perform well as a Talonflame check without it, and being able to catch it on a rotation would be great if you could just remove it from the field in a single turn. Then again, you also need Flash Cannon to keep yourself from being overly weak to Fairies... Your call I suppose :s

One small thing I'd fix is putting Ancient Power somewhere on Heatran, possibly over Flash Cannon - it can't really perform well as a Talonflame check without it, and being able to catch it on a rotation would be great if you could just remove it from the field in a single turn. Then again, you also need Flash Cannon to keep yourself from being overly weak to Fairies... Your call I suppose :s
Heatran can use his Earth power to talonflame under gravity and cause all pokemon become grounded then and i assume gravity is almost always on since it benefits his team that well.

So i started out pretty strong getting to nearly 1800 rank and ive tilted so hard and just dont know what to do anymore to fix this team. Any and all help would be appriciated. The original team that i used to peak was the same except swap maw for an AV conk and Mamo for a standard crocune. anyway onto the team which by the way is for 3v3 singles.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Facade
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
Always liked Mence in this format Adamant and max attack to hit as had as he can. Usually i can come in and set up at least one DD which is what i try to do when i dont see any priority on the team preview. Facade in place of Sub to make those burns and sometimes Para's a blessing in disguise EQ is for (pretty much) neutral coverage with his other flying moves. My biggest problem with him right now is tryign to find teammates that actually support him.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
Pretty standard LO Greninja. Gunkshot is for all of the fairy's that would otherwise wall me most of the time and serves as a pretty good azu Check if i still resist AJ. Low Kick is for the Ever present Mega Kahn, Tyranitar, bisharp and a few others. Dark Pulse for its amazing spamability and nifty flinch chance. And last but not least a fast stab ice beam is never a bad thing to help me check the genies, dragons, and so on. I was considering putting a Focus sash on greninja but with out his LO the lack of power is very noticable.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
Weakness Policy aegislash is my main pivot and check all pokemon. Kings shield usually works wonders for all of the physical attackers provided, and for everything else there usually 2hko'ed by by his stab's. In shield form hes usually bulky enough to live a SE hit and activate his Weakness policy and really wreak some havoc. Shadow sneak is for priority and finishing off wounded pokes, especially after WP activates. Im debating switching Flash cannon for Sacred sword seeing as i dont really run into many fairys.

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance
So far the most replaceable member of my team. He's done me well a few times but i cant seem to make him consistently work in games. Ive tried trick room support with P2/Cress, sub punching, and the standard SD set. Play rough is his main stab, nothing wants to get hit by that coming off base 210 attack, sucker punch for priority and to help with his piss poor speed. fire fand over iron head because it doesnt leave me completely walled by things like ferrothorn. SD is to boost up and attempt to sweep with Sucker punch or to wall break but out of everything that sees the least usage.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Porygon2. I love using this mon, but i have the hardist time finding a set for him. When i go fully physically defensive i wish i hit a little harder. Inversley when i run a more offensive tank set like this i find myself getting KO'ed way too much. TriBall Gives me some stab and amazing neutral coverage, T-wave to cripple incoming mons and ususally help me in getting off recovers to stay alive longer. Recover is pretty obvious but very essential. My biggest problem is trying to fit ice beam into his set but its too hard to give up any slots. And a lot of the targets it has i can just T-wave and stall them out with recover.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Stealth Rock
The newest member of my team. Stab EQ because you NEVER leave home without it, Ice shard for more priority and a check to the genies and DD mence and such. icecle spear is to counter lead brelooms, and other mons with sashes. Stealth rocks is hard for me. i always want to use it but never really finding a chance too. Its hard for me to get out of my 6v6 mindset lol. was considering replacing it for a freeze dry set or something to help with the likes of rotom.

there you have it. Like i said any and all help is greatly appriciated :) im tired of this losing steak!
Oh and not sure if it makes a difference but i primarily play on cartridge but occasionally play on PS! too.

hobbert what do you do against mega charizard y? You dont have anything that has a super effective move against it and it will do a lot of damage (ohko i think) against mamoswine aegislash mawile and greninja with fire stab boosted by sunny weather and if it carries dragon pulse it can deal a lot of damage to your mega salamence. If you run a rock type move on mamoswine it can at least check charizard y because of the focus sash. Its also great coverage against volcarona and talonflame.

hobbert what do you do against mega charizard y? You dont have anything that has a super effective move against it and it will do a lot of damage (ohko i think) against mamoswine aegislash mawile and greninja with fire stab boosted by sunny weather and if it carries dragon pulse it can deal a lot of damage to your mega salamence. If you run a rock type move on mamoswine it can at least check charizard y because of the focus sash. Its also great coverage against volcarona and talonflame.
To be completly honest I have only encountered one on battle spot so far and rocks plus greninja out speeding took care of him. I guess I haven't really thought of him as a threat but if he leads I think I'm in trouble. Is it worth dropping SR for rockslide or stone edge?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
To be honest, if you need to run a physical Rock move on something it's normally worth it to run Rock Tomb instead of Rock Slide or Stone Edge. It can still miss, but it's much more accurate than Stone Edge is (and barely edges out Rock Slide), and has a cool secondary effect that can nullify some of the OHKOs that you may miss by forgoing Stone Edge. You mentioned that Mawile was replaceable; it is, more or less, with Aegislash taking up the "offensive Steel" niche and Salamence claiming the "overwhelmingly strong physical attacker" one. I'd suggest replacing it with something that deals with Charizard Y slightly better: you need to be careful around Greninja, as well, as if you drop Mawile then you're relying solely on Porygon2 to check it. Judging by the make-up of your team, you're playing on cart and therefore would prefer to avoid using legendaries - if not, then I'd definitely suggest using Scarf Thundurus-T to kill two birds with one stone, as well as offering a second immunity to Electric- and Ground-type moves. If so, then perhaps a slightly more niche Electric-type like Heliolisk, Jolteon or Mega Manectric can be used - an Electric type sounds like a solid idea to me to help you out against not only Charizard, but also Talonflame and Suicune, both of which could possibly cause your team some grief if you sacked or else didn't bring your Porygon2 (for example).

hobbert
Suicune looks to be a serious problem for your team. Particularly an Ice type move carrying Suicune which has been a thorn to one my more recent teams due to having a M-Mawile and Facade M-Mence. I have a Raikou on that team but then Icy Wind at plus 1 while I couldn't set a sub up due to Scald breaking led to a revenge kill from opposing M-Kanga even though later on I had plus 5s and was behind a Sub (gotta love eq). Specific match-up? Yes. Nonetheless, my main point is Ice-move carrying Suicune is far from a rarity. Also, Ice Beam plus Double-Edge recoil took mence and the rest of the team out once (due to match-up bringing Raikou was meh and couldn't set up with Mence)
Suicune and Lando are an extremely good duo and at one point while laddering every opponent I found was 1700+ rated and each had these 2 on their team (2 of them are the 2 battles I just mentioned in this post) and since you are trying to ladder past 1800, you will definitely need to be prepared for such teams. Also, I've faced a streak of stall teams with Chansey, Gliscor, Sableye, Tyranitar, Slowbro, MSaur, Umbreon, Skarmory, Rotom-H, M-Latias among others that you might want to prepare for.

But yeah for Suicune, CharY, Tflame, and stall generally vs at least most of those mons above, I'd recommend a Bulky Specs Rotom-H. Rotom-H walls common CharY and can either fire off powerful volt switches/tbolts or simply cripple a Suicune and other walls/passive mons with Trick as well as simply nuke things with Overheat. It doesn't like MSaur, Tyranitar, and M-Latias as mentioned above but your team does have Aegis and Greninja so it shouldn't be too bad.

EDIT: You can also use Rotom-W instead which honestly seems to be the overall better choice but Zard Y would remain as troublesome as it already is. Really is up to you.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I have a florges on my team and decided with your help that clefable was a lot better as a fairy pokemon and cleric. I also have a reuniclus with magic guard and with calm mind as a move, so i wanted unaware as ability for clefable. This will help against serperior and sableye and such. What moves should i run on clefable? I kinda want it to be a cleric with wish and aromatherapy, but with unaware it will be a better mon to run calm mind than reuniclus. As two pokemon with calm mind sounds a bit much, should i use another move on my reuniclus?
Your moveset is good you should just try it out and see what happen

So here is my team that I have had moderate success with so far in the past season and a half. I would love any feedback that I could get at all.

Lucario@Mega Stone
Timid Nature
252:SpA 252: Spe 4:SpD
Attack IV:0

Aura Sphere
Flash Cannon
Vacuum Wave
Nasty Plot

Dedicated Mega-Evolution of the team. It cannot take a hit, but the screens from Latias help with the turn of set-up. Once it has a +2, not a lot is stopping it. I don’t choose to set-up (or even bring It all sometimes) if I see Slowbro or Aeigslash or at least until they are heavily weakened as its moveset cannot do alot it. Those two are the biggest bane to a Lucario sweep in my opinion. I have greatly considered dropping either Aura Sphere or Vacuum Wave for Dark Pulse. Having Priority is nice even if it is weak and having Aura Sphere to OHKO Mega Khan without a boost is great though.

Hydreigon@Life Orb
Modest

Dark Pulse
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Earth Power

I chose Hydreigon to be able to take on the Mega Slowbro’s and Aeigslash’s of the world. Also doesn’t care at all about Cresselia. I have been debating whether or not to give him a choice scarf just to be able to take out Mega-Gengar; however, for now, I opted with Life Orb over Specs in order to be able to change attacks. I have also considered Roost over Earth Power (which is just for Heatran or I guess respectable damage on Azumarill) in order to heal back up. He has decent bulk and resists Dark types, so that’s nice.

Latias@Light Clay
Timid
252:HP 252:Spe 4:SpA

Dragon Pulse
Light Screen
Reflect
Healing Wish

Latias is my screen setter/healing wish passer. This set is completed walled by fairy types, but ive found Lucario able to take out most fairies. Dragon Pulse is to have an attack, and the rest is completely team support. I usually opt for Reflect as it seems most of the format is physical.I also can use Healing Wish if one of the sweepers/cleaners is status inflicted or damaged and needs to continue on in the match.

Landorus-T@Choice Scarf
Adamant
252:Att 252:Spe 4:Def

Earthquake
U-turn
Rock Tomb
Knock Off

Choice Scarf user of the team. I often lead with this mon. This is a very standard set so not much to say here about this one. I feel like it is great in some matches and sometimes it does nothing. So maybe give the scarf to Hydreigon and replace him? Not sure.

Rotom-W@Sitrus Berry
Modest
252: SpA 252: HP 4:Spe

Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Will-O-Wisp

I find that Azumarill was a huge threat to beginning of my team so I went with offensive Rotom-Wash. I went max attack and max HP to be able to take hits as well as provide pressure. Volt Switch also forms a little Volt-Turn with Landorus. Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers.

As for the 6th mon, Ive rotated a few out now at this point. I tried Hippo for the yawn game to help set-up Lucario, but didn’t find it all that effective. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, pretty much any member of the team can be changed or replaced etc (although I would like to keep Lucario if at all possible) I have even thought of replacing Special Luke for Physical Luke for stronger Fighting STAB, but I don’t know about that.

Reactions: PKQ
So here is my team that I have had moderate success with so far in the past season and a half. I would love any feedback that I could get at all.

Lucario@Mega Stone
Timid Nature

Aura Sphere
Flash Cannon
Vacuum Wave
Nasty Plot

Dedicated Mega-Evolution of the team. It cannot take a hit, but the screens from Latias help with the turn of set-up. Once it has a +2, not a lot is stopping it. I don’t choose to set-up (or even bring It all sometimes) if I see Slowbro or Aeigslash or at least until they are heavily weakened as its moveset cannot do alot it. Those two are the biggest bane to a Lucario sweep in my opinion. I have greatly considered dropping either Aura Sphere or Vacuum Wave for Dark Pulse. Having Priority is nice even if it is weak and having Aura Sphere to OHKO Mega Khan without a boost is great though.

Hydreigon@Life Orb
Modest

Dark Pulse
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Earth Power

I chose Hydreigon to be able to take on the Mega Slowbro’s and Aeigslash’s of the world. Also doesn’t care at all about Cresselia. I have been debating whether or not to give him a choice scarf just to be able to take out Mega-Gengar; however, for now, I opted with Life Orb over Specs in order to be able to change attacks. I have also considered Roost over Earth Power (which is just for Heatran or I guess respectable damage on Azumarill) in order to heal back up. He has decent bulk and resists Dark types, so that’s nice.

Latias@Light Clay
Timid
252:HP 252:Spe 4:SpA

Dragon Pulse
Light Screen
Reflect
Healing Wish

Latias is my screen setter/healing wish passer. This set is completed walled by fairy types, but ive found Lucario able to take out most fairies. Dragon Pulse is to have an attack, and the rest is completely team support. I usually opt for Reflect as it seems most of the format is physical.I also can use Healing Wish if one of the sweepers/cleaners is status inflicted or damaged and needs to continue on in the match.

Landorus-T@Choice Scarf
Adamant
252:Att 252:Spe 4:Def

Earthquake
U-turn
Rock Tomb
Knock Off

Choice Scarf user of the team. I often lead with this mon. This is a very standard set so not much to say here about this one. I feel like it is great in some matches and sometimes it does nothing. So maybe give the scarf to Hydreigon and replace him? Not sure.

Rotom-W@Sitrus Berry
Modest
252: SpA 252: HP 4:Spe

Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Will-O-Wisp

I find that Azumarill was a huge threat to beginning of my team so I went with offensive Rotom-Wash. I went max attack and max HP to be able to take hits as well as provide pressure. Volt Switch also forms a little Volt-Turn with Landorus. Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers.

As for the 6th mon, Ive rotated a few out now at this point. I tried Hippo for the yawn game to help set-up Lucario, but didn’t find it all that effective. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, pretty much any member of the team can be changed or replaced etc (although I would like to keep Lucario if at all possible) I have even thought of replacing Special Luke for Physical Luke for stronger Fighting STAB, but I don’t know about that.
Before I start explaining things this is my opinion.

Ok first on your Mega Lucario I should show you the moveset that I will run.

Lucario (M) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Steadfast
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
- Vacuum Wave

This should cover all the pokemon you was worrying about and you get priority. Also you are going to need that Latias every time you want to use Mega Lucario because the speed might cost you if you don't survive one hit. In my opinion I will run Mega Lucario with this pokemon with this moveset.

Galvantula (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball

I will start off with Galvantula because you are going to need that speed control. That Sticky Web will help you and after that just damage your opponent before you faint. Also make sure for Mega Lucario make sure you can cover pokemon that are faster then you, flying types, and ground types. But the speed should be handle because Galvantula. Another note for the Galvantula set you can have Thunder Wave as a option instead of Energy Ball.

The rest of your team seem fine for now.

Here is my team for Mega Lucario:

If you want any further information just contact me.

bcgst5, it would help a lot to mention the losses you had and the unfavorable games you had and those opponent team combinations so we can help better. Some teams like yours seem fine neutrally but then when you start looking at particular matchups specifically THEN you start seeing where the problems are.
So far it looks like Mega Gengar teams would give you a fair amount of trouble. But further input would help before making suggestions

EDIT: I decided to make an initial suggestion for now:
Considering you have 5 slots atm and the threats that I've seen so far to your team, a DDance Mega Gyarados (it actually is no surprise to me as to why other setup MLukes and MGyaras tend to have em on the same team now after looking through things) with Crunch, EQ, and Ice Fang would fit ideally.
You don't need the Water stab as EQ deals with the Mons youd really want it for and for the few things youd miss it for like Hippowdon, Rotom-w already deals with that a lot more reliably. Crunch is better neutral stab (hits Cress harder as well), eq hits heatran, ttar, and rotoms thanks to mold breaker, and Ice fang is for dragons, landorus, and gliscor.
Run max speed jolly and att so you speed tie opposing Jolly Gyara and outspeed max speed base 80s like mamoswine but MORE IMPORTANTLY, to outspeed MGengar after 1 DD.

Last edited:
After returning to the BS metagame, I have come with a team that is doing fairly well for me in Showdown. I have to try it on cart, though

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 36 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick

Mi main anti-fairy and fast thread. Not much to say except from Surf > Hydro Pump since having two >100 accurancy moves seems to risky to me.

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Slowbro is amazing in this meta (showdown at least). It can check Kangaskhan, Loppuni, Talonflame, some phisical Mega Mences... Rocky Helmet > Leftovers for maximum recoil damage against T-Flame and Kanga.

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 4 SpA / 220 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover

I have always like Sableye, and it's mega is so versatile. It can check Breloom and after a couple of CM it can become unstoppable. Mixed EVs in both defenses to resist some special attacks before a CM.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

My secondary anti-fairy, priority attacker and anti-gengar, WP has been amazing since I finally decided to try it.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

Unaware can counter unprepared Suicunes and Glalies, and having a Dragon immunity is always useful. It can also check M-Altaria and Heal Bell is so useful against priority T-Wave.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Flame Charge
- Swords Dance

Having physical attacker with burn immunity is huge due to all those WoW and Scald pokemon in BS. I have found Double Dance better than DD because of its versatility. It also outspeed MGar by 2 points after one Flame Charge while not sacrificing bulk or power.

Hey guys this is my aegislash and im having trouble with finding wich set works best for me.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Sword / Iron head
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

I know most of you think special / mixed sets are better, but i want mine to stay pure physical. I am swapping iron head and sacred sword constantly and i came to the conclusion i actually want both. Is it a good idea to get rid of swords dance to have more coverage and to switch the leftovers for a weakness policy? That way it often gets the boost of swords dance without using a move and i can pick the strong stab iron head or choose the interesting sacred sword with its usefull ability to negate opponents boosts (almost like the unaware ability actually).

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Hey guys this is my aegislash and im having trouble with finding wich set works best for me.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Sword / Iron head
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

I know most of you think special / mixed sets are better, but i want mine to stay pure physical. I am swapping iron head and sacred sword constantly and i came to the conclusion i actually want both. Is it a good idea to get rid of swords dance to have more coverage and to switch the leftovers for a weakness policy? That way it often gets the boost of swords dance without using a move and i can pick the strong stab iron head or choose the interesting sacred sword with its usefull ability to negate opponents boosts (almost like the unaware ability actually).
Ahh, the old Stance Dance set. tbh, if you're going with Swords Dance you might actually want to drop King's Shield and go for broke with SD + 3 Attacks - this gives you the freedom to run all the coverage you need without the risk of being predictable, and many people expect king's shield to come out so you can freely hit Pokémon like Charizard X with you +2 attacks as they try to Swords Dance on a predicted Shield. For this set, you should try running both Swords Dance and Weakness Policy - a combination that could potentially net you a +4 Attack boost in a single turn, making cleaning up with Shadow Sneak a breeze. Don't run KS/SD/Shadow Sneak/Sacred Sword, terrible set ;~;

----
Also, new team time !!

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rest
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Zen Headbutt

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Rest

Okay, so here's a squad of cool dudes (???) that I've been playing around with lately to pleasing results. I built this team around Scrafty, the wallbreaker extraordinaire that has so far been incredibly useful against pretty much everything that it doesn't have a type weakness to. Bulk Up SpDef has a fantastic matchup to common Pokémon seen on defensive builds including Chansey, Skarmory, Porygon2, non-Calm Mind Slowbro, Rotom-W, Cresselia, and Mega Sableye, while also performing solidly against some of offense's more threatening members: Scrafty is more or less a hard counter to Aegislash, as it's able to underspeed even 0 Spe Aegislash, tank a Sacred Sword and obliterate it with Knock Off. It also takes one Kangaskhan Double-Edge and deals around 60% with Drain Punch without any boosts, making it a solid finisher for the Best Pokémon In The Game. Weavile may seem redundant next to Scrafty, and for the most part it is, but it does remove some of Scrafty's hardest counters, as well as cleaning up some other major threats - namely, Salamence and Garchomp. The redundancy can be good, as I can use one to weaken a check, and the other to clean up, or I can bring one and not the other to a certain matchup depending on the opponent's playstyle (Weavile for offense, Scrafty for balance/stall). However, there are some things that neither of them can deal with, no matter what they run: in particular, Pokémon like Conkeldurr, Sylveon, Blaziken and Talonflame shred them both. My third pick attempts to address at least the first two, as well as some other annoying Pokémon like Mega Venusaur: Mega Metagross is the team's Fairy-type and offensive Steel-type. I don't bring it much, but it does a great job of clearing out Sylveon, Togekiss, Clefable, non-Sucker Punch Kangaskhan, Conkeldurr, Lucario, Venusaur and weakened Heatran/Ferrothorn, while Scrafty and Weavile deal with Rotom-W, Aegislash and the format's offensive Ground-types. Rotom-Wash and Landorus-T form a Volt-Turn core that aims to get Scrafty and Weavile in for free on things that they can set up on/have a good matchup against, as well as being this team's best way of coping with Blaziken and Talonflame. They also give me a good way of dealing with bulky Steel-types that the other can't handle, like Scizor and Mawile. Gengar is a secondary Fairy check and my main method of dealing with Kangaskhan.

Issues for this team:

Blaziken
As with any team that doesn't resist both of Blaziken's STABs in one Pokémon, Blaziken is an issue here. Rotom-W isn't that reliable a check but it wins if it's at full when Blaziken comes out - Hi Jump Kick does about 70% so good luck if it's taken damage :( Landorus-T's Intimidate support is good here for this reason, as it helps the two take Blaziken's attacks even if it disrupts VoltTurn with Protect. Gengar can use its Sash to take a Flare Blitz and deal about 50% with Sludge Bomb.

Serperior

The main problem with this is that my only Glare immunity on the team is Rotom-Wash. :'( Weavile and Landorus can outspeed, but Weavile can't take a hit and if its Sash is intact then something is getting paralysed. Requires veeeery careful playing.

i'll think of more as I keep playing with it but here it is for now :]]

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower
- U-turn
By way of critique, one question I have is why Landorus has Rock Tomb. Is there any specific threat that Rock Tomb's speed drop helps against? If there isn't, I would probably suggest Rock Slide, because the high flinch chance on a scarfed pokemon could help you hax your way to victory, and it also hits a bit harder. Most of your team (the only exception being rotom) is very fast and usually wouldn't need the Rock Tomb speed drop to outspeed your foe, while Scrafty generally won't be outspeeding even after one, so I'm not sure what it does in terms of supporting the team. Also, if you're having problems with serp, rock slide might be more helpful than rock tomb in case your opponent switches it in.

Interestingly, Mega Mence destroys Blaziken(except for the special ones with HP ice), Conkeldurr(but switching into ice punch will hurt), Talonflame(as long as you have Facade for Stallbreaker Talon), and non physically defensive Sylveon (252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 204-241 (100.9 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO), but I don't think I'd recommend it, since it would result in your team being weak to both fairy and ice.

If Mega Venusaur is annoying, a good counter to it is Mega Gengar with sub, as if it doesn't have Earthquake, Venu can't touch M-Gengar's subs at all, and Shadow Tag prevents it from switching into something stally. Gengar also threatens fairies with Sludge Bomb, although using mega Gengar would result in you having to replace both Gross and regular Gengar, which might not be what you want.

Another pokemon that seems capable of defeating your counters is stallbreaker Talonflame. With Taunt, Talon can prevent serp's glare and has little to fear from Sylveon's calm minds, and it can easily switch in on fairy moves with its HP investment. Furthermore, its Brave Bird puts a dent in Conkeldurr and kills Blaziken, and the burns it spreads can support Scrafty. If you decide to go a more offensive route with Talon, it can also U-Turn to complement the momentum Rotom and Lando will be giving you. However, if I were you, idk which mon, if any, I'd want to replace with Talon.

A couple of pokemon I'm wondering how well your team does against are Azumarill and Suicune.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
By way of critique, one question I have is why Landorus has Rock Tomb. Is there any specific threat that Rock Tomb's speed drop helps against? If there isn't, I would probably suggest Rock Slide, because the high flinch chance on a scarfed pokemon could help you hax your way to victory, and it also hits a bit harder. Most of your team (the only exception being rotom) is very fast and usually wouldn't need the Rock Tomb speed drop to outspeed your foe, while Scrafty generally won't be outspeeding even after one, so I'm not sure what it does in terms of supporting the team. Also, if you're having problems with serp, rock slide might be more helpful than rock tomb in case your opponent switches it in.
I think I'll make this change, I had Rock Tomb for general accuracy and for the speed drop but Rock Slide seems superior :]

Interestingly, Mega Mence destroys Blaziken(except for the special ones with HP ice), Conkeldurr(but switching into ice punch will hurt), Talonflame(as long as you have Facade for Stallbreaker Talon), and non physically defensive Sylveon (252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 204-241 (100.9 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO), but I don't think I'd recommend it, since it would result in your team being weak to both fairy and ice.
Yeah, not considering Mega Mence really. Metagross deals with Sylveon and Conkeldurr pretty nicely and it complements the Fairy weakness much more nicely :p

If Mega Venusaur is annoying, a good counter to it is Mega Gengar with sub, as if it doesn't have Earthquake, Venu can't touch M-Gengar's subs at all, and Shadow Tag prevents it from switching into something stally. Gengar also threatens fairies with Sludge Bomb, although using mega Gengar would result in you having to replace both Gross and regular Gengar, which might not be what you want.
I don't see any reason why i couldn't just run both Mega Metagross and Mega Gengar - They perform similar Fairy-killing roles, and I've had a bunch of stally games where having Mega Gengar over regular would've helped me out immensely in stallbreaking. Mega Venusaur isn't an incredibly common threat so I'm not too worried about it (it's pretty easy to wear down if I can get a burn on it) but Mega Gengar seems pretty nice to improve the matchup a little more. Plus this frees up my Sash for Weavile :) I'll test this, thanks!

Another pokemon that seems capable of defeating your counters is stallbreaker Talonflame. With Taunt, Talon can prevent serp's glare and has little to fear from Sylveon's calm minds, and it can easily switch in on fairy moves with its HP investment. Furthermore, its Brave Bird puts a dent in Conkeldurr and kills Blaziken, and the burns it spreads can support Scrafty. If you decide to go a more offensive route with Talon, it can also U-Turn to complement the momentum Rotom and Lando will be giving you. However, if I were you, idk which mon, if any, I'd want to replace with Talon.
Maybe Talonflame > Landorus? I already have Rotom covering things like Talonflame so it's possibly a little redundant, and priority Brave Bird > Choice Scarf so I'll try that :]

A couple of pokemon I'm wondering how well your team does against are Azumarill and Suicune.
Rotom-Wash helps immensely with these two, particularly Azumarill as it can't heal or boost its Special Defense. Suicune is tougher than Azu is but Scrafty can take its hits fairly well, shrug off Scald burns and set up on it, especially if I get lucky with Rest/Shed Skin rolls. Mega Gengar would help Suicune out either way.

I saw this team on battle spot singles and I was wondering can anyone perfect it.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ditto @ Focus Sash
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Transform

Glalie (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Moody
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Sheer Cold
- Frost Breath

Clefable (F) @ Kee Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Minimize
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Moonblast

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Ditto @ Focus Sash
Ability: Imposter
Bold Nature
- Transform
The team looks OK, I haven't really fully analysed it but if you're gonna use Ditto, SwagPlay from either Thundurus or Sableye really helps you take advantage with it, since you can come in and copy their attack boosts from Swagger and wreck stuff. Assist Liepard + Breloom + Ditto is becoming a really popular gimmick recently that tried to hax you to death and if it goes bad clean up with Ditto...

The team looks OK, I haven't really fully analysed it but if you're gonna use Ditto, SwagPlay from either Thundurus or Sableye really helps you take advantage with it, since you can come in and copy their attack boosts from Swagger and wreck stuff. Assist Liepard + Breloom + Ditto is becoming a really popular gimmick recently that tried to hax you to death and if it goes bad clean up with Ditto...
Ok thank you

Hey guys i've been using this team for about two seasons now and I peaked around 1880. However i've been stuck in the low 1700's ever since please offer any suggestions to improve it.

Charizard-Y @ Charizardite-Y
Timid 252 Spe/ 252 Spa/ 4 Def
Flamethower
Solarbeam
Focus Blast
Flame Charge

Mamoswine @ Focus sash
Jolly 252 Spe/ 252 Att/ 4 Hp
Earthqake
Icicle Crash
Ice Shard
Rock Tomb

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Bold 252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 Spe
Thunderbolt
Heat Wave
Hp Ice
Roost

Aegishlash @ Weakness Policy
Quiet 252 Spa/ 252 Hp/ 4 Sp def
Shadow Ball
Flash Cannon
Shadow Sneak
King's Sheild

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Adamant 252 Hp/ 252 At/ 4 Def
Waterfall
Play Rough
Knock Off
Aqua Jet

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid 252 Spe/ 252 Spa/ 4 Hp
Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
Fire Blast
Eath Power

I'm looking for a mon to switch with hydreigon as I rarely use it and also for something that can shut down full stall teams. Is it worth switching hp ice on zapdos for toxic/thunderwave? Also my team lacks a grass type so i've lost to that ridiculous assist-spore liepard strategy a few times is it worth using something like serperior just to counter obsure strategies like that (breloom isn't a problem thanks to mamoswine).I've also considered teching endeavor on mamoswine for mons like suicune or rotom-w who try to ohko me with scald/hydro pump but then I lose my ability to check charizard-Y/ with rock tomb. Thanks to anyone who replies i've been so frustrated lately trying to climb the ladder it seems like everyday I take one step forward and two steps back.

Just to clarify this team is for singles

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I'm looking for a mon to switch with hydreigon as I rarely use it and also for something that can shut down full stall teams. Is it worth switching hp ice on zapdos for toxic/thunderwave? Also my team lacks a grass type so i've lost to that ridiculous assist-spore liepard strategy a few times is it worth using something like serperior just to counter obsure strategies like that (breloom isn't a problem thanks to mamoswine).I've also considered teching endeavor on mamoswine for mons like suicune or rotom-w who try to ohko me with scald/hydro pump but then I lose my ability to check charizard-Y/ with rock tomb. Thanks to anyone who replies i've been so frustrated lately trying to climb the ladder it seems like everyday I take one step forward and two steps back.
A Serperior with Taunt and Leech Seed would probably do well against full stall and is an immunity to Spore.

You could also consider running a set-up sweeper there.

A Serperior with Taunt and Leech Seed would probably do well against full stall and is an immunity to Spore.

You could also consider running a set-up sweeper there.
Thanks I didn't even know that Serperior got Leech Seed. And he can also be used as a set-up sweeper with leaf storm

This team is not finish so I would like you guys advice and what pokemon should I add to this team.

Gengar-Mega (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Explosion

The team so far is made to help Mega Gengar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)