XY OU Team Swan Song

Ok, disregarding the team title, I wanted to build a team revolving around one of my favorite VoltTurn using duo, Rotom-W and Scizor. The two carry a great deal of coverage between the two alone, so the team almost built itself.

Sorry for the lack of a better sprite for Gardevoir and Excadrill, I couldn't find ones that were actual gifs. Anyway, breaking down the team:

These two create a very effective VoltTurn core that hits most things for some pretty big damage. The type synergy is very effective two, as between them both, they have many great resistances and some effective immunities. One of the other positive traits these two have is their seed stat, which I enjoy for being able to safely bring in Pokemon at the end of the turn. But I needed something a little faster as well, to be able to change the games pace when need be.

Conventionally, Thundurus is best used packing Thunderbolt simply for the higher damage output. Instead, running Volt Switch lets my Thundurus add to the Volt-Turn combo Rotom and Scizor achieve, and, with its higher speed, allows me to pick up a big momentum boost. Now I needed something to cover the big neutral weakness to Electric types, as well as a Spinner or Defogger.

That's where Excadrill comes in. He is fully immune to electric types as well as poison, so he can switch in on common moves such as Toxic and Thunder Wave. The only problem being that I now have a pretty big weakness to Fire, particularly Charizard Y.

Effectively giving me one extra revenge killer as well as a decent answer to Charizard, Multiscale Dragonite. It is a bulky spread to let it sponge some hits thanks to it's great ability. And last but not least, stall teams take a toll on this team without a proper cleric, so I went with one of the best Stall Breakers in the game.

Gardevoir is a nice addition to this team as it covers most things that would otherwise harm Dragonite. Stall teams pose a problem for a more offensive team, so Gardevoir helps get rid of big threats like Chansey. Now, let's look at the team in-depth.

Lead: GARDEVOIR @ Gardevoirite

Ability: Trace
Nature: Modest
EV's: 220 HP/252 SpA/32 Def

• Hyper Voice
  • Psyshock
  • Focus Blast
  • Taunt
Using Gardevoir as a lead throws a lot of people off, as their Ferrothorns aren't prepared for the power behind Focus Blast. Gardevoir is just fast enough on it's own merits to effectively taunt opposing leads, and either surprise them with the powerful Modest boost it packs. Late game, Gardevoir can clean up well as long as threats like Scizor, M-Beedrill and Gengar among others have been removed.

The Decider: SCIZOR @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SpD

• Bullet Punch
  • Knock Off
  • U-Turn
  • Superpower
I didn't realize when making this set that it was still such a popular one. Anyway, CB boosts it's already spectacular attack and, with technician, makes it an insanly hard hitting pokemon. U-Turn creates great synergy with Rotom's Volt Turn. This set covers so much in one set that there really isn't much to say here.
Pivot: ROTOM-W @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold
EV's:252 HP/116 Def/144 SpD

• Volt Switch
  • Hydro Pump
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Pain Split
Meant as a stellar pivot and a check to the omnipresent Talonflame. The EV spread is meant to give him a closer split in defenses so it doesn't lack in one more than the other. Other than that, standard Rotom-W is standard.

Special Sweeper: THUNDURUS @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Timid
EV's: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe

• Volt Switch
  • Grass Knot
  • Focus Blast
  • HP Ice
Thudurus is a potent sweeper with only a few main weaknesses. Though it is frail, it can easily outspeed a good chunk of the unboosted meta game. essentially my best answer to Landorus and Gliscor, it is mostly used as a momentum builder with Volt Switch.

Spinner: Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EV's:200 HP/252 Atk/56 Spe

• Earthquake
  • Iron Head
  • Rapid Spin
  • Poison Jab
My rapid spinner. His typing makes him immune to some important moves that would otherwise cripple my team, such as Thunder Wave and Toxic. Excadrill almost always forces Clefable out, who can set up on many of my pokemon. Earthquake and Iron Head are important STAB moves, and EQ hits Rotom thanks to mold breaker. Poison Jab is coverage for the increased number of Serperior being played these days.

Revenge Killer: DRAGONITE @ Leftovers

Ability: Multi Scale
EV's:3216 HP/64 Atk/228 SpD

• Extremespeed
  • Roost
  • Dragon Claw
  • Fire Punch
Thanks to Multiscale, Dragonite is able to be a decent tank. Extremespeed let's it revenge kill anything that scizor could not. Standard Roost Dragonite, which is a great check to M-Metagross.

Thank you for the time looking at my team, any input is appreciated!

Hi nice team. Your sprites can be found here: http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/
As for your team, I have a few suggestions:

Change the spread on M-Gardevoir to 252 Spe / 24 Def / 232 SpA w/ Modest or Timid. This allows you to hit a decent speed tier so that you can outspeed the likes of Adamant Excadrill, Jolly Bisharp, Jolly Breloom, M-Heracross and Kyurem-B, all of which are quite threatening to your team. You can go with Modest for power while Timid allows you to speed tie with base 100s.

My second suggestion is AV Torn-T> Dragonite. This allows you to check Landorus-I and M-Gardevoir, both of these love to come in and get kills as you have no switch ins for them. Also allows you to check Specs Keldeo better, albeit, not completely. I know you said that you put Dragonite for M-Metagross but it doesn't do a really good job at checking it and my next suggestion will help you do that. Also, this gives you a nice addition to your VoltTurn core.

Calcs:
232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 165-195 (49.6 - 58.7%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

232+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 204-241 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Hidden Power Ice vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 117-138 (35.2 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Landorus Hidden Power Ice vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 127-151 (38.2 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Alright, your team is really weak to DD ZardX, DD Dragonite and CB Azumarril so I'd suggest Slowbro instead of Rotom. This gives you a really decent check to all of them as well as acting as your second Keldeo check. I'd suggest a set with Thunder Wave so that it can cripple ZardX, Keldeo and Dragonite specifically so that they can later be revenged by M-Gardevoir.

Calcs:
252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 150-177 (38 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 222-262 (56.3 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 129-153 (32.7 - 38.8%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 193-228 (48.9 - 57.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 161-190 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 236-278 (59.8 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Alright so my final change, as you have a decent check to Serperior in Torn-T, I'd suggest removing Poison Jab for Stealth Rocks as hazards are something every team should have in my opinion as it racks up damage, which battling is all about, and gets you important 2HKOs after rocks.

SETS:
Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind / Will-O-Wisp / Taunt

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Superpower

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

That's all. I know the team is really weak to Bisharp and Magnezone and I'll do my best to figure out something. Hope I helped

Last edited:
Thank you a lot. When building a team it's so hard to consider everything, that's why I love these rmts! I'll be playtesting these additions asap. The only one I'm thinking might not be as effective is removing Rotom. Setup sweepers hate to try to set up on it. On second thought, though, scald gives a good chance at burning the foe anyways, so it's definitely worth a play test. Thank you again!

Thank you a lot. When building a team it's so hard to consider everything, that's why I love these rmts! I'll be playtesting these additions asap. The only one I'm thinking might not be as effective is removing Rotom. Setup sweepers hate to try to set up on it. On second thought, though, scald gives a good chance at burning the foe anyways, so it's definitely worth a play test. Thank you again!
Np at all, please feel free to contact me if you ever need help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)