CAP 21 - Part 1 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
Okay. Obviously we need to talk about concept breadth because a large portion of the concepts submitted so far have very glaring, obvious problems when it comes to such things. Here are some questions you should probably ask yourself before submitting a concept, because this is the category most of the concepts are either stopped before QC or are rejected in QC fall in to.

To start with,
Does my concept have more than one approach?
This is pretty straightforward. If your concept doesn't have more than a single solid, reasonable approach, you've already broken what is basically the most important rule of concept submission. Creating a concept that isn't broad enough floats dangerously close to a concept submission that says it's type in the title, or that initially indicates a special or physical bias. This means our concept leads itself along for the entire process. And really, who wants to create a pokemon over the course of 4+ months when it could be achieved in about a week after the concept was chosen, with the exact same result? Sound boring? Yeah. It does to me too.
This question basically boils down to Does my concept finish itself?

If you're looking for a concept that really started to lack breadth after concept assessment, just look to the Cawmodore. After we made it past choosing belly drum as our move to focus on, the concept slowly rolled to a halt. This is partially because it was perfectly timed to conflict with the release if gen 6, but the concept probably would of declined in interest anyhow as soon as every decision became practically unanimous. For a project to be successful, It's a lot more interesting to see each stage have meaningful, interesting choices. Any concept that lacks breadth won't fare well and won't be fun for anyone involved.

Secondly,
Does my concept's wording make the concept's goals achievable?
This is, in some ways, the opposite problem of the above. Occasionally, we see a concept that bites off more than it can chew, either trying to explore too many things at once or by trying to attack a question from an angle that doesn't exist. While a concept with this problem may have several ways to go about it, as the project continues, it becomes obvious that the only reason the concept has so many ways to attack it is because the wording is too vague to be reasonably executed. This makes us re-word or re-interpret the concept during the concept assessment phase, which can potentially lead the project to fall far off topic or off the original goals.

This problem is extremely, extremely apparent in the Plasmanta project, and is actually the whole reason this concept workshop exists in the first place. It became clear extremely early on that a pokemon "dying" is never a good thing for your team, and eventually devolved in to what can basically be called "Perfect Mate Part 3: Make Gyarados a Friend". Running in to these sort of problems and fixing them is what the workshop is all about, so if your concept doesn't make it past submissions because of it, don't be surprised.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you've answered "Yes" to both of the above questions, congratulations! You made a concept with a reasonable breadth. If not, re-evaluate your concept and try once more.
Furthermore, if you aren't getting replies, it's completely possible people are ignoring it because they can only think of one or two ways to complete it, and because of this, find it boring. If you can, try to give some examples of the many ways you can execute your concept and push your concept forward with those. You may even find that there aren't that many ways to execute it, which means you can fix it! Yay!

I'm going to respond to some concepts in terms of this criteria later. Until then, may you be blessed with good concept ideas.

Last edited:
I can think of plenty more if you need. Starmie, Mew, Keldeo, and Zapdos have insanely useful bodies with insanely awful abilities. Magnezone, Bisharp, and Serperior have insanely useless bodies with insanely useful abilities.
Actually, starmie has two good abilities in natural cure and analytic, and mew does have some use for synchronize, but your other examples are pretty good. I will add serperior to my success list, but bisharp has some other good traits in powerful priority and fairy killing, and magnezone is only ou for lack of better options. I think I will also take the second option of having a useless ability off, as that seems to be more common and less interesting. Thanks for the tip, and for helping me get started in CAP.

Last edited:
Name: Death Support

General Description: This will be a Pokemon that supports it's team even after it has been knocked out.

Justification: Gen 6 is full of powerful attackers. Charizard, Lopunny, Talonflame, Keldeo, and most of the dragon types in the OU tier. A death supporter would introduce an entirely new niche into the metagame, which could serve to alleviate the fears of some powerful attackers. The said Pokemon could, with the right strategy, be switched in and possibly knocked out, now being able to support its team without fear. This could greatly improve a trainers momentum and allow them to achieve desired effects in a way never before possible.

Questions To Be Answered:
Would a Pokemon such as this cause a team to become too predictable?
Can a reasonable player justify giving this Pokemon a spot on a team?
Would this Pokemon be able to fulfill its duties without a special ability, move or item?
What specific type of support could this Pokemon provide?

Explanation: This Pokemon is unique because of its trait of being able to provide support from beyond the grave. Although it may be a bit challenging to use without becoming predictable, this Pokemon could easily fit on a variety of teams; offensive and balanced for the support and defensive for the ability to take a hit or two for one of its teammates. Besides its obvious anti-meta uses, this Pokemon could also be a check to trappers such as Gothitelle or Magnezone whose powers would be wasted on such a Pokemon.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Name:Gravity Setter

General Description:With gravity up You get benefits You can't get from raw boosting like coverage from focus blast/earthquake, the % 100 par from zap cannon, or the fact sing goes past subs and hits grass pokemon. And fairy ground has amazing coverage when up.

Justification:I made an oh-kay team in PU where I had setters/abusers like regice and clefairy. But my team fell short because I didn't have enough of a pool of good users and reliable spin support. If we had someone who could come in and get it up quick and effective by by ability of prankster, or some kind of auto set or maybe just fast/bulky and could work in a tool to get in and out quick maybe u turn or eject button.

is there merit behind using gravity even if we have a sure shot way to keep it up?

What moves would benefit from this or could some benefit from hustler and spikes.

How could this deal with other play styles?

What about pursuit trappers

Explanation:
I've played trick room teams and often the pressure they bring after set up is rough in if You burn turns often they have swords dance or a sub of their often (mega mawile pre ban) but gravity might have something in having the threat of spike stacking and over the top strong coverage that cripples switch in like dynamite punch or zap cannon giving You back some of the turns You spent setting up Your team

Also no high jump kick xD

Fidgit. It's almost exactly what you want; though not offensive, it's a Gravity setter that is unique in getting you two extra turns of it to abuse. Nobody uses Gravity on Fidgit though, because the move in general just doesn't have an immense amount of benefits.

Landorus + Fidgit is great though.

Last edited:
This is my first CAP submission, so I'm sorry if there are any glaring errors or anything like that.

Name: Devious Power
General Description: This Pokemon is able to utilize status offensively and apply pressure through status.
Justification: Status is currently mainly used by defensive and support Pokemon to cripple the opposing Pokemon and allow for the powerhouses to bulldoze through (unless it's a stall team, but status is still used defensively). This Pokemon could open up a new route in using status conditions by utilizing them offensively (similar to how Venoshock makes use of the poison status to be even more powerful, just imagine that move as a Pokemon instead with some obvious tweaking).
- How can certain OU threats be countered by using status?
- Can status be used for purposes other than defense and crippling?
- Will this increase the usage of berries like Chesto/Cheri/Lum berries?
- How will this affect the usage of Pokemon that are immune to certain status conditions (ie. Electric types being immune to paralysis, Poison types being immune to poison, etc.)?
- What previously underused Pokemon with moves like Heal Bell and Aromatherapy could potentially become viable?

Explanation: Status conditions don't really play a big factor in the current OU metagame. Sure, most, if not all, defensive Pokemon have at least one way to inflict status, but for the most part, pure offensive power is preferred. But, if a Pokemon were able to make use of all the statuses inflicted on the opposing Pokemon and maybe even be a way to regain momentum (because it could force a switch from a statused Pokemon to an unstatused one), then there could be entire teams based around inflicting status and pressuring the opposing team.

However, there is one problem with this that I can see: we would need to most likely make quite a few new moves for this concept to work, as of right now, there really isn't much that could possibly fit for this concept. Venoshock is really the only move that takes advantage of a status at the moment.

Last edited:
I think your concept is a cool idea, but it kinda already exists with Gengar. Its Hex set already uses a status/status abuse combo to deal heavy damage, and while it's not the most viable thing, I think it already fits your concept to a tee.

Welcome to CAP, by the way, hope you learn a few things!

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is my first CAP submission, so I'm sorry if there are any glaring errors or anything like that.

Name: Devious Power
General Description: This Pokemon is able to utilize status offensively and apply pressure through status.
Justification: Status is currently mainly used by defensive and support Pokemon to cripple the opposing Pokemon and allow for the powerhouses to bulldoze through (unless it's a stall team, but status is still used defensively). This Pokemon could open up a new route in using status conditions by utilizing them offensively (similar to how Venoshock makes use of the poison status to be even more powerful, just imagine that move as a Pokemon instead with some obvious tweaking).
- How can certain OU threats be countered by using status?
- Can status be used for purposes other than defense and crippling?
- Will this increase the usage of berries like Chesto/Cheri/Lum berries?
- How will this affect the usage of Pokemon that are immune to certain status conditions (ie. Electric types being immune to paralysis, Poison types being immune to poison, etc.)?
- What previously underused Pokemon with moves like Heal Bell and Aromatherapy could potentially become viable?

Explanation: Status conditions don't really play a big factor in the current OU metagame. Sure, most, if not all, defensive Pokemon have at least one way to inflict status, but for the most part, pure offensive power is preferred. But, if a Pokemon were able to make use of all the statuses inflicted on the opposing Pokemon and maybe even be a way to regain momentum (because it could force a switch from a statused Pokemon to an unstatused one), then there could be entire teams based around inflicting status and pressuring the opposing team.

However, there is one problem with this that I can see: we would need to most likely make quite a few new moves for this concept to work, as of right now, there really isn't much that could possibly fit for this concept. Venoshock is really the only move that takes advantage of a status at the moment.
Adding onto what Exclaimer said about Hex being only marginally viable, Venoshock is a really poor move. Moreover, creating a custom move is banned under our current rules. As it stands, this concept pigeonholes us into something like Hex, which is really not the best thing to build around. The only other way I can see this concept being accomplished is "generic sweeper with a status move," (i.e. Thundurus, Talonflame, Mega Gardevoir) which would probably not make for a fun or organized project.

Name: Cold as Ice
General Description: This pokemon relies on freezing opponents to make them unable to do anything, and then beats them.
Justification: Freeze is a very powerful status condition. A frozen pokemon has only a 20% chance of thawing out each turn, giving you plenty of time to attack it. However, there is no pokemon that can effectively use freeze.

• How powerful of a status is freeze?
  • How effective can a strategy that relies on freezing the opponent be?
  • Will introduction of a frequent use of a major status increase the amount of pokemon with Lum Berries/pokemon immune to freeze?
Explanation: Freeze is a very powerful status. This pokemon attempts to use moves to freeze the opponent and then uses the time earned to KO the opponent.

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Name: Cold as Ice
General Description: This pokemon relies on freezing opponents to make them unable to do anything, and then beats them.
Justification: Freeze is a very powerful status condition. A frozen pokemon has only a 20% chance of thawing out each turn, giving you plenty of time to attack it. However, there is no pokemon that can effectively use freeze.

• How powerful of a status is freeze?
  • How effective can a strategy that relies on freezing the opponent be?
  • Will introduction of a frequent use of a major status increase the amount of pokemon with Lum Berries/pokemon immune to freeze?
Explanation: Freeze is a very powerful status. This pokemon attempts to use moves to freeze the opponent and then uses the time earned to KO the opponent.
Yeah... no. You can't rely on something that only has a 10% chance of happening (no moves that freeze have more than a 10% success rate). We're also not creating a custom status move that inflicts freeze.

Name: Suicide Lead
General Description: A Pokemon that is meant to lead off the battle and last for only 1-2 turns.
Justification: Since the birth of Team Preview in B/W, the dedicated lead has fallen off in usage, with not many teams using a true lead anymore. With this CAP, we are attempting to go back to one of the most popular lead archetypes in D/P: the suicide lead.
  • Can a suicide lead be viable in today's metagame?
  • What types of moves will our CAP need to work as a lead?
  • Will a good suicide lead lead (hue) to more dedicated leads in the metagame?
Explanation: I've always liked the suicide lead, something that can set up and die quickly, hopefully taking something with it.

Empress

Literally Azelf
Considering Azelf is B rank in viability and remains one of the best suicide leads in gen 6, there's not a lot to learn here. What's more, I already tried submitting a concept like this and it got rejected. Read up on why it didn't go through; much of the same reasoning applies here.

Name: Suck it and See

General Description: A Pokemon that demands being actively scouted, whose potential flaws cannot be scouted passively, and until that point has a very large threatening potential.

Justification: Pokemon is a game full of defensive scouting- and through it, a Pokemon's huge range of threatening potential is narrowed down to something manageable by the team. When a Charizard switches in, its threat range can cover an entire team- by simply watching the enemy Charizard mega evolve, its form is revealed and the range of mons it threatens effectively halves. When a Victini attacks your team with V-Create, you can calculate the damage dealt and discover if it is Choice Banded or not. A Mamoswine hiding Freeze-Dry for Rotom-W eventually reveals it, and even when killing Rotom-W its threat shadow shrinks through revealing a lack of coverage. Mons with the option of nasty plotting or swords dancing have their sets revealed eventually by their own choosing of a move, without the opponent ever having to lay a finger on them- but what if a pokemon could keep their initial broad range of threatening potential, immune to scouting, throughout the entire match until actually its flaws were actively checked? Through its inability to be defensively scouted for, its ability to be offensively checked shrinks drastically also. I believe a mon that is immune to defensive scouting would be an interesting addition to the metagame if it could ever be possible. Part of the interest in this project for me is adding a niche to the metagame, while the other half is exploring the question of whether it is possible or not.

-How could a pokemon be made immune to defensive scouting?
-How could this affect teams that rely heavily on offensive checks?
-Would this pokemon be able to find a use even on teams not relying on powerful revenge-killing blanket checks?
-How can a pokemon retain the large shadow of threat it initially casts even after its entire moveset is revealed?
-What are the most successful and foolproof forms of (offensive and defensive) scouting?

Explanation: I love the potential of a pokemon which could do one of two things, as it opens up an interesting mindgame and forces intelligent prediction from the opponent whilst also allowing the player to fully abuse the shadow of threat that the mon initially casts to bluff their way into an advantage- for instance bluffing Char-Y, then revealing a Char X and getting a free dd on a chansey switchin. However these moments are shortlived, the threat is lost after you choose to mega evolve, and can be cushioned by access to offensive blanket checks like Talonflame or Azumarill which can reliably revenge kill from disturbingly high hp percentages after mistakes are made. I would love to see a mon which forces a non-passive reaction back to it, and this could also tie into forcing the opponent to not rely so heavily on being able to fix their mistakes with aforementioned powerful priority revenge killers (for instance, imagine if the use of incorrect priority could buff the threatening pokemon further?)
Throughout the creation process we should be discovering about the different ways that players passively attempt to gain (or avoid needing) a knowledge advantage on all types of teams by throwing a giant wrench into their ability to do so.

The closest comparison I could find for this is Bronzong, but sadly Bronzong (who has the ability to alleviate either Fire or Ground weaknesses from its typing, with the chosen ability being undetectable without attacking with a fire or ground move) does not gain enough from its option of fire neutrality over ground immunity to fully realize this concept at all- while also not providing much offensive pressure to capitalize on the forced guesses. Whats more Bronzong's weakness can be scouted for before he even enters the field, as if bronzong takes spikes damage then he is known to be Heatproof.

Clefable is another good example of a defensive mon with a similar concept, with status being a logical approach to taking down the Unaware set due to being unable to break through it with boosting. On the other side, the Magic Guard can get a free turn of setup on a toxic, while being more susceptible to being boosted through. This is great but thanks to Clefables mediocre stats, both sets are actually prone to being broken through just with powerful attacks in general, while both are under threat from the same stallbreakers- plus Unaware Clefable doesnt even necessarily have a status weakness due to access to Heal Bell, all of which muddies the line between the two different sets and allows a lot of similar pokemon to threaten with both versions. Plus, Clefable can once again be scouted for with Stealth Rock, refusing it a chance to apply pressure through an ambiguous ability choice.

Guts pokemon are similar to Magic Guard Clefable which can bait status, but rarely does the non-guts set have any weight over the guts set, causing a problem similar to Bronzong's Heatproof issue. Not to mention Guts barely gives an opportunity to be scouted properly.

While this suggestion perhaps heavily lends itself to being ability-based, I do believe it can be explored through other means as well- for instance Smeargle's enormous movepool allows it a incredibly large shadow of threat down to the final move- although it is very weak to blanket revenge killing (as well as almost everything else that can outspeed it in OU) and doesnt fit the criteria of actually being particularly scoutable either offensively or defensively, since that is the whole tradeoff of using the pokemon.

Please tell me if this is an invalid submission or could be clarified in parts.. im tired

Last edited:
correct me if im wrong, you guys are doing "Use the Boost to get through" at the moment? This idea isnt that at all, i specifically mentioned a "use the boost to get through" type mon as something which fits into the standard metagame issue that this concept is trying to break

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Name: Field Advantage

General Description:
While it is not necessarily a strong offensive or defensive threat, this Pokemon has the ability to alter the field to give its team the immediate advantage.

Justification:
This CAP can both offer a new niche and serve as a learning experience. The transition to gen 6 largely crippled field effects (primarily weather). Even hazards were compromised with the introduction of Defog. Alongside this, moves like gravity and trick room (which also lacks in viability after all of the bans) have never had good enough reason to be widely used given the opportunity cost of using them, the short duration, and the lack of good setters. All of this leads to field effects in gen 6 lacking in depth, which is a shame given the potential for new abusers and strategies. Having a pokemon that can facilitate the use of field effects allows us a chance to explore them, especially the lesser used ones.

How important are field effects?
What does a pokemon need to be a successful ____ setter?
Can we overcome the detriment of a low duration?
Are all field effects viable, even wholly unused ones?
What changes in gen 6 affect the viability and strategies around field effects?
What is the best way to counterplay against different field affects without disrupting team synergy?
Are field effects inherently healthy for the metagame, or do they result in constriction and centralization?

Explanation:
"Field effects" is a relatively loose term. Could mean anything from weather to hazards to wonder room to trick room to safeguard etc.. Basically, anything that affects the entire field for some duration of time. In my head, this pokemon has the sole purpose of being able to set _____ and then exit (perhaps using a move like parting shot) to a team member to maximize affects. We could go in the direction of creating a new ability that does something like extending the duration of all effects. This would offer a huge niche in making strategies like trick room immediately more viable. Perhaps we could focus on just one lesser used effect and have it automatically set that effect on switchin (similar to drizzle, but with wonder room or something). Perhaps it can have multiple abilities that set different effects based on what the team needs? We could even create a new field effect that could prove interesting to explore. I have nothing but loose directions, but as someone who really enjoys playing strategies like trick room, I am moreso interested in the exploration of the topic overall. My own visions are not nearly as important to me.

General Description:
While it is not necessarily a strong offensive or defensive threat, this Pokemon has the ability to alter the field to give its team the immediate advantage.

Justification:
This CAP can both offer a new niche and serve as a learning experience. The transition to gen 6 largely crippled field effects (primarily weather). Even hazards were compromised with the introduction of Defog. Alongside this, moves like gravity and trick room (which also lacks in viability after all of the bans) have never had good enough reason to be widely used given the opportunity cost of using them, the short duration, and the lack of good setters. All of this leads to field effects in gen 6 lacking in depth, which is a shame given the potential for new abusers and strategies. Having a pokemon that can facilitate the use of field effects allows us a chance to explore them, especially the lesser used ones.

What is the best way to counterplay against different field affects without disrupting team synergy?
Are field effects inherently healthy for the metagame, or do they result in constriction and centralization?

Explanation:
"Field effects" is a relatively loose term. Could mean anything from weather to hazards to wonder room to trick room to safeguard etc.. Basically, anything that affects the entire field for some duration of time. In my head, this pokemon has the sole purpose of being able to set _____ and then exit (perhaps using a move like parting shot) to a team member to maximize affects. We could go in the direction of creating a new ability that does something like extending the duration of all effects. This would offer a huge niche in making strategies like trick room immediately more viable. Perhaps we could focus on just one lesser used effect and have it automatically set that effect on switchin (similar to drizzle, but with wonder room or something). Perhaps it can have multiple abilities that set different effects based on what the team needs? We could even create a new field effect that could prove interesting to explore. I have nothing but loose directions, but as someone who really enjoys playing strategies like trick room, I am moreso interested in the exploration of the topic overall. My own visions are not nearly as important to me.
Custom abilities are banned for CAPs.

General Description:

Justification:

Explanation:
Someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but isn't this something Fidgit can already do well enough?

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to point out how frustrating the above four posts are, specifically with how counterproductive they are to open discussion. Making quippy one-liners that demonstrate a lack of any thought are not appreciated in CAP, where we're here to have an intelligent discussion about the current metagame and its trends. MikeDawg has presented us with great points of discussion, from the downfall of weather to the introduction of Defog. All of these things would be beneficial things to discuss in this thread and consider for a CAP. Talk about those traits in a concept, not the minor nitpicks. No duh Fidgit exists, are we supposed to be impressed? We made it two generations ago for an entirely different metagame. MikeDawg is absolutely within his rights to bring up his concept and how it could be relevant for the metagame. Similarly, it's not impressive that you know what is and isn't banned from the CAP Process. We have hundreds of rules; it is not unreasonable that someone would miss a few. But if you want to make a positive change and grow contributors, send them a private message or post on their wall. Why gunk up the thread with contentless one liners?

Sorry for this rant, but this has been a reoccurring theme as of late. If someone provides us with intriguing and viable content, let's talk about it! But pointing out a single "flaw" is not productive, so please stop doing it. Posts like the above four (and many others on this page) will be moderated and infracted in the future. You don't need to write a novel, but refrain from writing dribble, for the sake of people who actually want to learn and have discussions from these sorts of threads.

When someone posts content for consideration, fully consider its pros and cons before posting.

Empress

I might as well dissect the concept then.

One thing that holds back field effects is indeed the short duration of them. If the duration runs out, then the team needs it set back up in order to function, which is not always an easy thing to do in the powerful Gen 6 OU metagame. And if the team can function outside of the field effect, they likely didn't need it to begin with.

Another thing holding them back is how matchup-dependent they are. For example, Trick Room (and Tailwind for that matter) fall flat against any team that isn't offensive. Weather is a bit less matchup-dependent, but again, it clearly shines brightest against offensive teams. I don't know if that is something we can fix with a Pokemon; this problem is inherent to the field effects themselves, not the setters.

MikeDawg, I like this concept because field effects are sorely under-appreciated, but there are reasons why that is the case.

Okay, my comments on the concepts so far:

Suck it and See: I like the concept, although actually making this could prove to be rather one dimensional, as of there are really only two ways to go about this:
1. Give an immense movepool for support (as of a huge offensive movepool would really just end up with getting the best coverage with maybe a few surprise counter moves here and there)
2. Have two or more powerful abilities that have hugely differing effects (I'd say that the Bronzong comparison works very well here)

The best would probably be to combine the two, which would essentially make a stronger more versatile Bronzong. The offensive options here are lacking, although if going with #2, offensive abilities could be considered (like having both Sheer Force and Huge Power or something like that).

Field Advantage: As stated before, this role is essentially already shown in the form of Fidget. However, an alternate way of doing this would be to have a Pokemon that can abuse some underused field effects like Wonder Room, Gravity, or Magic Room (although how to do so would be a huge question). And I'm getting the sense that you want an ability that summons a field effect like Drought and Sand Stream. For future reference, custom abilities and moves are banned in CAP.

It's a good concept, but it really seems as if it couldn't really be expanded upon and made into a decent Pokemon.

The Patient Mega: This is by far my favorite concept of the three. I really was disappointed in the gimmicky nature of Meloetta's transformation, which had the chance to be rather powerful, with both forms covering the other's weaknesses. This would provide a quick and non gimmicky transformation (albeit with less versatility since you can't revert back to the original form) and cause some interesting mind games to happen about which move to use.

EDIT: So after reading a long discussion on Mega Evolution, apparently it's banned. Which means this concept is illegal. Oh well.

Then again, I'm new, and most of my comments are likely completely wrong and trvial. Yay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)