VGC 2015: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, um, how am I supposee to beat Disable+Encore from Mega Gengar and Whimsicott? I am sick and tired of loosing to it on Battle Spot.

So, um, how am I supposee to beat Disable+Encore from Mega Gengar and Whimsicott? I am sick and tired of loosing to it on Battle Spot.
- lead with a Ghost-type that can't be trapped by Shadow Tag.
- Quick Guard helps enormously against Whimsicott
- (double) switching first turn is effective if you planned ahead during team preview and have Pokémon in the back that threaten Mega Gengar
- avoid Protect/Fake Out/everything that you don't want to be Encore'd into
- Talonflame can Brave Bird Gengar before it gets to use Disable. Other priority moves work too as long as they are not Sucker Punch and hit Ghost-types

Choice Scarf Pokémon that outspeed and threaten Mega Gengar are effective too. It won't be able to Disable before taking a hit.

Last edited:
- Lead with a Ghost-type that can't be trapped by Shadow Tag.
- Quick Guard helps enormously against Whimsicott
- double switching first turn is effective if you planned ahead during team preview and have Pokémon in the back that threaten Mega Gengar
- avoid Protect/Fake Out/everything that you don't want to be Encore'd into
- Talonflame can Brave Bird Gengar before it gets to use Disable. Other priority moves work too as long as they are not Sucker Punch and hit Ghost-types
Thanks for the tips :). Annoying gimmicks are really just intoxicating the Battle Spot ladder nowadays, they are almost at the point of restricting a bit on teambuilding imo.

Skill Swap the Gengar, that really pisses off Persh Trap teams. If they Encore it, Swap with your partner and switch. Works even better on the Gothitelle + Azumarill they have in the back. Role Play works too, and ignores Protect, but does not save your ally.
Also, U-Turn/Volt Switch.

So yes, run Soak Volt Switch Lanturn + Skill Swap Cresselia until you get high enough ranking to fight people that actually use teams consiting of things like Mega Metagross that at least take balls to use.
I would say "Run Crafty Shield Klefki and laugh your ass off" but of course, it does not blockfull field moves like Terrains and Perish Song. We really need a move that just removes stupid things like Perish Song.

Fucking hate Mega Gengar.

So I have limited VGC knowledge though I have watched Cybertron for a while along with finals in 2014 and such. Decided to hop on the VR here, and I'm very curious - what makes Raichu of all things viable?

So I have limited VGC knowledge though I have watched Cybertron for a while along with finals in 2014 and such. Decided to hop on the VR here, and I'm very curious - what makes Raichu of all things viable?
- It has an improved base speed (110) in Gen VI, which makes it pretty fast and hits an important speed tier (Mega Metagross, Gengar, Lati@s).
- It provides fast Fake Out support and can use the move before Pokémon like (Mega) Kangaskhan, Scrafty, Hariyama, Sableye, Liepard, Mienshao, Ludicolo (outside of rain), Meowstic, Infernape or Lopunny (if it's not Mega evolved) can.
- It has Encore to punish opponents for using Protect or other non-threatening moves
- Lightning Rod provides a shield for teammates that are weak to Electric-type attacks or don't want to get paralyzed by Thunder Wave. It is also a way to boost Raichu's Special Attack.
- It gets Helping Hand to boost the power of it's partner in case it can't threaten the opponent directly with Thunderbolt or it's coverage moves (if it has any).
- It has offensive "BoltBeam"-coverage (+Grass Knot).

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
My current team is:
- standard breloom
- thunder wave rotom-w
- speedy mega metagross with ice punch and dual stab
- standard togekiss
- spex bulky hydreigon
- defensive arcanine with wow, flamethrower, snarl, protect
(full team is here: http://pastebin.com/sp5y0MeE)

I currently have problems with genies (especially double genie lead, which I know is common), steels like aegislash (haven't encountered any heatran yet so idk about them), and lack a strong fighting move to hit things like terrakion and kanga with. Arcanine feels like the weakest member of the team.

Does anyone have any ideas for things that can help me against those problems?

I've considered virizion over breloom (I find myself not using spore much, but that might just be because of my team matchups) or either a more offensive arcanine or mixed blaziken, but I'd like to gather some more ideas first.

My current team is:
- standard breloom
- thunder wave rotom-w
- speedy mega metagross with ice punch and dual stab
- standard togekiss
- spex bulky hydreigon
- defensive arcanine with wow, flamethrower, snarl, protect
(full team is here: http://pastebin.com/sp5y0MeE)

I currently have problems with genies (especially double genie lead, which I know is common), steels like aegislash (haven't encountered any heatran yet so idk about them), and lack a strong fighting move to hit things like terrakion and kanga with. Arcanine feels like the weakest member of the team.

Does anyone have any ideas for things that can help me against those problems?

I've considered virizion over breloom (I find myself not using spore much, but that might just be because of my team matchups) or either a more offensive arcanine or mixed blaziken, but I'd like to gather some more ideas first.
Conkeldurr is pretty effective against double genie, Kangaskhan, Terrakion and Steel-types.

Okay guys, so I know that Raichu can do it better, but my absolute favorite Pokémon ever (coming from a original Pokémon red yellow and blue player) is Pikachu. And I'm planning to blow the metagame to pieces with mine. Can someone please give me some ideas to build a team around him? Please. I'm still new to the metagame and I'm unsure how to roll with this.

My Pikachu is as follows:

Pikachu @ light ball
Jolly: 252att 252speed 4hp

-fake out
-volt tackle
-brick break
-knock off

Again, please and thanks

That's not a bad idea, but that makes me weaker to things like talonflame, Yzard, and mawile.
Well, you could replace Breloom with the Conkeldurr and add something else over Arcanine to cover those, if you think it's not performing good enough.
The alternative would be to change your Rotom-Wash to Rotom-Heat and replace the Arcanine with another Water-tank like Suicune for example.
Amoonguss might be an idea if you replace the Breloom.

...or try Landorus-T to deal with double genie, Kangaskhan, Terrakion, Steel-types, Talonflame, Charizard-Y and Mawile. Your Ice-weakness would become pretty huge though.

Last edited:
Okay guys, so I know that Raichu can do it better, but my absolute favorite Pokémon ever (coming from a original Pokémon red yellow and blue player) is Pikachu. And I'm planning to blow the metagame to pieces with mine. Can someone please give me some ideas to build a team around him? Please. I'm still new to the metagame and I'm unsure how to roll with this.

My Pikachu is as follows:

Pikachu @ light ball
Jolly: 252att 252speed 4hp

-fake out
-volt tackle
-brick break
-knock off

Again, please and thanks
I'm just going to put this bluntly, don't use Pikachu. Pikachu's main gimmick comes with the Light Ball, while giving it buffs in both attacking stats, makes it extremely easy to kill. This is because Pikachu, with only base 90 speed, is not fast enough to outspeed a large portion of the commonly used pokemon. Pikachu also doesn't have the bulk to take a hit and strike back, even if you take the hit you'll just end up killing yourself with volt tackle, most of the time not even picking up a KO in the process. There are some times where a pre-evo can provide more support than their final evolution (Clefairy, Chansey, Dusclops) but Pikachu doesn't fall into that category.
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 109-130 (98.1 - 117.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 145-172 (130.6 - 154.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 121-144 (66.8 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
So even if you take the Fake Out and don't get hit with Sucker Punch, you'll just kill yourself with recoil while Kang is left standing.

252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 145-172 (130.6 - 154.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 123-145 (110.8 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 111-131 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Pikachu: 118-139 (106.3 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 204-241 (183.7 - 217.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Pikachu: 115-136 (103.6 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pikachu: 158-186 (142.3 - 167.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Pikachu get's OHKO'd by anything that outspeeds it and also by strong priority, including when hit by resisted moves. I would recommend you use Raichu since it hits a good speed tier (110) and you can also equip it with a Focus Sash so it can take at least one hit.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I went to the UK nats with the LO mixed blaziken in place of the arcanine and it performed very well. I came 3-3 before I had to leave so I didn't miss my train, but two of my losses were due to misplays or bad reads in team preview. And the other one was to a fucking mega gengar + whimsicott, with the gengar knowing dazzling gleam.

I have been working on a Trick Room team for the VGC Doubles format and I have been trying to get a Hidden Power Fire Maractus, Storm Drain.

I did breed it with a Quiet nature and I have 3 with acceptable IVs that have HP Fire.

31/26/31/30/31/0
31/30/31/30/31/28
31/30/31/30/31/26

I feel like the 0 speed would be best, but while I am planning HP Fire, Energy Ball, and Spiky Shield, I was wanting to have either Drain Punch or Knock Off on the build. I don't see lasting too long, so Knock Off would be the better choice I think.

The idea is Spiky Shield on the Trick Room setup turn, hoping to drop the attack of say Fake Out kangaskhan, since my Trick Room setter is a Ghost. Although Kangaskhan could have Scrappy, but I would image Inner Focus may be higher to prevent a Fake Out on Kangaskhan as well.

Maractus most likely won't make the final cut, but I would like a Storm Drain Pokémon on my team to counter my water weakness.

I have been working on a Trick Room team for the VGC Doubles format and I have been trying to get a Hidden Power Fire Maractus, Storm Drain.

I did breed it with a Quiet nature and I have 3 with acceptable IVs that have HP Fire.

31/26/31/30/31/0
31/30/31/30/31/28
31/30/31/30/31/26

I feel like the 0 speed would be best, but while I am planning HP Fire, Energy Ball, and Spiky Shield, I was wanting to have either Drain Punch or Knock Off on the build. I don't see lasting too long, so Knock Off would be the better choice I think.

The idea is Spiky Shield on the Trick Room setup turn, hoping to drop the attack of say Fake Out kangaskhan, since my Trick Room setter is a Ghost. Although Kangaskhan could have Scrappy, but I would image Inner Focus may be higher to prevent a Fake Out on Kangaskhan as well.

Maractus most likely won't make the final cut, but I would like a Storm Drain Pokémon on my team to counter my water weakness.

Better bulk, typing, and has really nice Ice/Ground/Water coverage.

But I'll be fair and play ball with Maractus:

Energy Ball / Spiky Shield / HP fire / support move
Too frail for Giga Drain. Only I am insane enough to run Solarbeam as my sole STAB option, so just use Energy Ball.
Spiky Shield/HP Fire is obvious.
support, it has After You (Fun for non-TR mons like Scarf Landog), Worry Seed (Abilities? What are those?), Peck (FUCK YEAH HERACROSS), Acupressure (buff your ally with random +2's).

Better bulk, typing, and has really nice Ice/Ground/Water coverage.

But I'll be fair and play ball with Maractus:

Energy Ball / Spiky Shield / HP fire / support move
Too frail for Giga Drain. Only I am insane enough to run Solarbeam as my sole STAB option, so just use Energy Ball.
Spiky Shield/HP Fire is obvious.
support, it has After You (Fun for non-TR mons like Scarf Landog), Worry Seed (Abilities? What are those?), Peck (FUCK YEAH HERACROSS), Acupressure (buff your ally with random +2's).
Thanks for the ideas. Acupressure seems a little iffy to me.

This tournament I am in I know some of my opponents and they run Grass + Water combos, Gastrodon does not like the grass attacks too much. Although I am breeding one just to use against other teams.

After You is not a bad idea, but my only quick Poké is Talonflame.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
The idea is Spiky Shield on the Trick Room setup turn, hoping to drop the attack of say Fake Out kangaskhan,
You're thinking of King's Shield. Spiky Shield just does a bit of damage back to attackers.

Have you considered storm drain cradily? I've seen it on some trick room teams, especially mega camerupt ones.

You're thinking of King's Shield. Spiky Shield just does a bit of damage back to attackers.

Have you considered storm drain cradily? I've seen it on some trick room teams, especially mega camerupt ones.
You are correct. Damage from Spiky Shield, was a long night. ;)

Cradily was on my list as well. I like Cradily since I will be using Sand Storm as well, so extra beef to SP.DEF.

I liked Maractus for the extra attack power. Cradily also has better recovery moves and better attacking type spread.

And I don't think I need to worry about HP Fire on Cradily.

Would you go with Sassy, Relaxed, or Quiet nature?

I am thinking Sassy.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I like relaxed on Cradily better because it allows Cradily to survive close combat from terrakion and you already get the sp. def. boost from sand anyway. The only thing that you would want a sassy nature for is if you are only using it to counter rain or you want to survive overheat from Char-Y.

I like relaxed on Cradily better because it allows Cradily to survive close combat from terrakion and you already get the sp. def. boost from sand anyway. The only thing that you would want a sassy nature for is if you are only using it to counter rain or you want to survive overheat from Char-Y.
Thanks for the info. I am going to start breeding Lileeps tonight. Just hatched a Shiny Sassy Porygon. 31/31/31/31/23/0. Wish ATK and SP.DEF were flipped, but I only lose 4 SP.DEF stat points.

Anyone have a bold/calm/timid natured thundurus? I'll love you forever, and I'll also breed you some 6iv pokes. Trying to build a good VGC 15 team (the goal is world's) I realize I'm a little late but I'm gonna try anyway

Okay guys so I'm not sure of the Ev spreads or movesets or items yet, but so far my team consists of

Kangaskhan@ kangaskhanite
Adamant
Scrappy

Landorus-T@Choice Band/scarf
Adamant
Intimidate
-U-turn
-Earthquake
-Superpower
-Rock Slide

Thundurus-I@Life orb/sitrus berry/choice scarf
Timid
Prankster
-Thunder Wave
-HPICE
-Taunt
-Thunderbolt

Will someone please give me some ideal mons to fill in this team with? I want a fantastic team and I don't know what mons I could throw on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)