Featured Tutor #8 - HellPowna

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Can you tell us a bit about your life outside Smogon?
Oh well i actually live in Germany for work. Im a chef, so im gonna invite you to enjoy my restaurant, im pretty sure you will enjoy the best italian foods. Im a boy who's from Naples. I studied languages and i was a pro football player, played for Milan/Napoli until 17years old, but since when i've got injured my carrer is over, im sad. I met Ibrahimovic, Lavezzi, Cavani, Ronaldinho and other pro footbal players. I really love going out with my friends, my girlfriend, playing football, tennis and playing pokemon ^^
Im a naruto fanboy and my favourite characters are Kakashi and TSUNADE!
im 19 years old, in 17 days i will be 20, too old to play pokemon damn.

• When did you join the Battling 101 program?
I dont remember when i joined b101 program exactly, it was like 2 years ago maybe.
  • Why did you join Battling101 ?
I joined b101 to learn pokemon first, then when i saw that my abilites were growin-up i said "i could tutor what about it, it could be funny"
When i become tutor the first times was a bit excited, because i really did not know how to tutor, how can i teach tutees the art of the competitive battling. time by time i grew up and i've got experience. I actually have my personal method of teaching and always wanna to improve it!

• Did you sign up as a tutee initially?
Yeah, my tutor was the boss Taylor. Im still in contact with him. He has been one of the best person i met here. Taylor is a really friendly person, and in my opinion the best battler of the century. He's my idol, and i'd like to be like him, some day. Im always thankfull him, for everything he did, does and will do for me! I have been his only tutee. and this makes me proud. He's really proud of me, and im really happy. Every win i do, it's for Taylor!
  • What's your preferred style of battling?
I dont have a specific style of battling. I love everything uncommon. I always find uncommon sets to surprise the opponents, infact everyteams i have, they have at least 1 uncommon set. Anyway im playin offense recently but i can play stall too. time by time i always try to improve my style, to make him unique. So my preferred style of battling is the "hellpowna's style lol".
  • What style do you encourage your tutees to follow and why?
well well..every players should not focus with just one style. You should be able to play every types of styles, its' important in battle. my teams are always ready to play stall/offense/balanced etc etc
Im 100% agree with plus about :
"If you aren't attacking, you aren't winning. Even in defensively oriented teams, winning is all about gaining momentum. You gain momentum by outplaying your opponent, forcing them to do things they really don't want to do, and by attacking enough or pulling enough double switches to force residual damage so that his/her options are limited late game. I don't care what kind of team I play, whether it is Stall, Balance, Offense, or any "Semi-Stall Balance With A Hint of Offense" stupid framework you want to call it. As long as you have the opportunity to make significant plays, I'll play it."
  • Are there any patterns in your tutoring style?
Every tutees are equal. they are all important for me.
  • How do you feel while tutoring ?
I feel really good. First i try to make a contact with my tutees. Pokemon it's just a game. i wanna be friend before, then talkin about pokemon. Im used to talk about real life while tutoring. It's important. The lessons could be boring, so talkin about life makes my tutee more available to learn. Im used to interest with real-life problems. because i really love helping people. Taylor helped me a lot, so why dont i have to help them? if your tutees doesn't feel good, you can't tutor. dont try it. im used to tutor when my tutee wanna do it. if i feel problems im gonna try to solve them with all possibilites i have. I don't force my tutees being tutored, it's not productive for both.
We are human before, players then.

• Do you follow a process while tutoring?
Im used to see what types of problems my tutees have. Fix them with him, and then improving his skills.
  • What's your favorite strategy that you've run? This can be from any metagame or time period.
As i said i love everything. i run everything i have in mind. Trick Room, Baton Pass, Sun, Rain everything pokemon has, im gonna run it.
  • Do you wish to get specific feedback from your tutee, and not just receive a grade?
Plus: I've been on Smogon long enough to not care about the grade, the badge, or the evaluation. I used to be a badgewhore but frankly I don't care anymore. I genuinely like to see my tutees succeed in whatever they put their minds to, so I could care less about my evaluation or grade right now. Battling 101 has given me a group of friends, new and old, that I still talk to on a regular basis - and that's the best thing that Smogon has ever given me. It's not about the pixels, but the relationships you build. I still talk to many of my past tutees because I enjoy talking to them. They're some of the best relationships I've built on this site.
  • If you could improve B101, what would you change?
It's ok. I probably fix the smogon home bout battling 101.

Thanks HellPowna for making it, and feel free to ask him questions.
~ Leftiez and Steve Angello

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
What's your favorite part about tutoring (Sorry if this was in the interview, i skimmed through)?

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
not completely related to tutoring but w/e
do you think someone that has never been involved with DPP OU can get into it nowadays?

hellpowna

beware of coco
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What's your favorite part about tutoring (Sorry if this was in the interview, i skimmed through)?
Hey! I dont have a "fav part" because as i said i really enjoy the whole tutoring. For me its important when my tutee got something from me; its not only about pokemon. I'm really happy when my tutees say "hey man i really like your way to tutor, i won this match coz i followed ur advices", but i think the most important thing is building something more than a "i won the smogon tour"
I love when ppl consider pokemon just a game, and i hate when my tutee say "fuck you, you got the crit" its not right, respect the pther side, its a game

not completely related to tutoring but w/e
do you think someone that has never been involved with DPP OU can get into it nowadays?
Bpass

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
meeting ronaldinho must have been awesome bro ^^

Do you think the 101 roster could be improved upon or are the current tutors active more than capable of producing new talent and molding those players to learn into top tier contenders?

If so, how and who do you think can improve smogon's tutoring system?

Example: create channel/group chats with more than one tutor(s) and venture beyond the standard 1v1 sessions and take lessons altogether just to see how far tutees progress. (kind of like tournaments b101 host have at the end of each round.

Last edited:

hellpowna

beware of coco
meeting ronaldinho must have been awesome bro ^^

Do you think the 101 roster could be improved upon or are the current tutors active more than capable of producing new talent and molding those players to learn into top tier contenders?

If so, how and who do you think can improve smogon's tutoring system?

Example: create channel/group chats with more than one tutor(s) and venture beyond the standard 1v1 sessions and take lessons altogether just to see how far tutees progress. (kind of like tournaments b101 host have at the end of each round.
It is bro :)

Well i think there are lots of new tutor, old legends like you for example should come back tutoring. It could be more productice if old tutors like you come back tutoring; a mix between new tutors and old tutors could be really productive. It's not easy to say who is old and who is new, but old and new could swich their abilities, face to compare the method of tutoring.

Example: you could tell me what about your method of tutoring, im gonna tell mine, next time i will try to apply ur method to mine, to create something better. Its hard, i know, but it could work.
Well, i think could be really productive doing something like smogon b101 tour(a sort of like u said) Example:

Players16 has been tutored by me and players18 by you, both in dp
Smogon program lasts 1 month, everyweek they could face to see improvements. The first week players16 made wrong a predict, next week we will see if he fixed the mistake

Tutor tournament should re-born

Hey there! I'm a football player myself, sorry to hear about your injury :(

• What's your advice to aspiring tutors?
  • Thoughts on Sepp Blatter resigning and the FIFA corruption scandal?
  • Do you think perseverance played an important in role in your short lived football career?
  • How do you think new people can contribute to smogon?
  • Will you help me become a pro player like you? :3
  • How did it feel to meet Ibra?
That's all ahaha, hmu sometime. It's nice seeing football fans around here

hellpowna

beware of coco
Hey there! I'm a football player myself, sorry to hear about your injury :(

• What's your advice to aspiring tutors?
  • Thoughts on Sepp Blatter resigning and the FIFA corruption scandal?
  • Do you think perseverance played an important in role in your short lived football career?
  • How do you think new people can contribute to smogon?
  • Will you help me become a pro player like you? :3
  • How did it feel to meet Ibra?
That's all ahaha, hmu sometime. It's nice seeing football fans around here
DAMN ur questions are so awesome sooooo

1) If you think to teach how to enjoy this game, i encourage you to join b101. I think if you teach ur opp how to interact with the competitive world of pokemon while let ur tutee enjoy this game is the best succes you could get. smogon is a community of users, build something with them could really really important. Im friend with every1, and i think this is the right spirit

2) idk it

3) absolutely yes, follow ur goal and do everything possible to realize it. if you fail dont worry, failure is progress. no regrets.

4) Well..there are lots of things to do, i love so much b101 so im used to focus myself to improve it as possible. Every1 should help for its own abilities, if you are good to organize tournament focus on becoming a tournament director

5) sure, send me a video and show me ur abilities. i'll try to say what to improve, whats wrong. im not a coach, but i had session with mazzarri. learnt from him something

6) i really didnt met him. i just played with him and took a picture. doing some shoots. he's really helpfull with new players. i had no enough time to talk with him, but id like to enage a conversation with him

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
really glad i got to meet you during battle royale n_n

1) juve or barca
2) are you one of those guys who prefer one over other from messi and ronaldo, or you just like to enjoy them play?
3) what position did you play in? and are you good at direct free kicks(i suck at them)? sad for your injury :[
4) have you ever had a tutee with a bad ego? how did you go about teaching him, while also trying to fix the attitude?

fan cos you've a nice attitude :]

hellpowna

beware of coco
really glad i got to meet you during battle royale n_n

1) juve or barca
2) are you one of those guys who prefer one over other from messi and ronaldo, or you just like to enjoy them play?
3) what position did you play in? and are you good at direct free kicks(i suck at them)? sad for your injury :[
4) have you ever had a tutee with a bad ego? how did you go about teaching him, while also trying to fix the attitude?

fan cos you've a nice attitude :]
same for me :)

1) WELL....i support napoli and im from naples. napoli supporters hate juve like juve supporters too, but this time i support ITALY, so hope juve will get it :)
2) I prefer Messi, but my fav player is Ibrahimovic
3) Well i started playin mildfielder with 14 games and 8 goal. Coach said me i had good offense qualities, so he put me like "bomber". im 1.92, but i also have nice techinc, especially with tricks :P. in the first session i played 17 matches doing 10 goal. next season the attacker went away, so i played 38 matches doing 57 goal. While playin the finals, i've got injured and my carrer is over.. yeah, i was good, scored 4 goal. while training i was used to spend 50 mins more to learn how to free-kicking
4) i never had a tutee with a bad ego, id like to :)

thank you
tobitoooooooooo
oh my dear :3

1) you say your fave player is Ibra, what do you think is his greatest goal of all time?
2) which one of messi or ronaldinho in their prime?
3) Do you think goalies are born to be great at their position, or do they become good because they were never picked to play outfield when they were young LOL?

hellpowna

beware of coco
1) you say your fave player is Ibra, what do you think is his greatest goal of all time?
2) which one of messi or ronaldinho in their prime?
3) Do you think goalies are born to be great at their position, or do they become good because they were never picked to play outfield when they were young LOL?
1)...uhm i think against england, but there are so much amazing goal, its hard to choose the greatest one
2) messi is the best player in the world, man
3) LOL buffon was a mildfielder so...i dont know honestly..i agree with you about it lol

omg bro, I have to ask you some srs questions

1) If you had to choose, which part of the female body is your favorite and why (except p00sy)
2) Would you hit on Bloo if you had the chance?
3) How do you keep being so positive all the time? (actual srs question)
4) When are you teaching me BW OU?
5) Why do you love BP so much?
6) on a scale of 1 to SOMALIA, how creative do you deem yourself in DPP?

and finally

7) If you could've sex with any girl in the world for one time, who would it be?

• Can you tell us a bit about your life outside Smogon?
Oh well i actually live in Germany for work. Im a chef, so im gonna invite you to enjoy my restaurant, im pretty sure you will enjoy the best italian foods. Im a boy who's from Naples. I studied languages and i was a pro football player, played for Milan/Napoli until 17years old, but since when i've got injured my carrer is over, im sad. I met Ibrahimovic, Lavezzi, Cavani, Ronaldinho and other pro footbal players. I really love going out with my friends, my girlfriend, playing football, tennis and playing pokemon ^^
Im a naruto fanboy and my favourite characters are Kakashi and TSUNADE!
im 19 years old, in 17 days i will be 20, too old to play pokemon damn.

• When did you join the Battling 101 program?
I dont remember when i joined b101 program exactly, it was like 2 years ago maybe.
  • Why did you join Battling101 ?
I joined b101 to learn pokemon first, then when i saw that my abilites were growin-up i said "i could tutor what about it, it could be funny"
When i become tutor the first times was a bit excited, because i really did not know how to tutor, how can i teach tutees the art of the competitive battling. time by time i grew up and i've got experience. I actually have my personal method of teaching and always wanna to improve it!

• Did you sign up as a tutee initially?
Yeah, my tutor was the boss Taylor. Im still in contact with him. He has been one of the best person i met here. Taylor is a really friendly person, and in my opinion the best battler of the century. He's my idol, and i'd like to be like him, some day. Im always thankfull him, for everything he did, does and will do for me! I have been his only tutee. and this makes me proud. He's really proud of me, and im really happy. Every win i do, it's for Taylor!
  • What's your preferred style of battling?
I dont have a specific style of battling. I love everything uncommon. I always find uncommon sets to surprise the opponents, infact everyteams i have, they have at least 1 uncommon set. Anyway im playin offense recently but i can play stall too. time by time i always try to improve my style, to make him unique. So my preferred style of battling is the "hellpowna's style lol".
  • What style do you encourage your tutees to follow and why?
well well..every players should not focus with just one style. You should be able to play every types of styles, its' important in battle. my teams are always ready to play stall/offense/balanced etc etc
Im 100% agree with plus about :
"If you aren't attacking, you aren't winning. Even in defensively oriented teams, winning is all about gaining momentum. You gain momentum by outplaying your opponent, forcing them to do things they really don't want to do, and by attacking enough or pulling enough double switches to force residual damage so that his/her options are limited late game. I don't care what kind of team I play, whether it is Stall, Balance, Offense, or any "Semi-Stall Balance With A Hint of Offense" stupid framework you want to call it. As long as you have the opportunity to make significant plays, I'll play it."
  • Are there any patterns in your tutoring style?
Every tutees are equal. they are all important for me.
  • How do you feel while tutoring ?
I feel really good. First i try to make a contact with my tutees. Pokemon it's just a game. i wanna be friend before, then talkin about pokemon. Im used to talk about real life while tutoring. It's important. The lessons could be boring, so talkin about life makes my tutee more available to learn. Im used to interest with real-life problems. because i really love helping people. Taylor helped me a lot, so why dont i have to help them? if your tutees doesn't feel good, you can't tutor. dont try it. im used to tutor when my tutee wanna do it. if i feel problems im gonna try to solve them with all possibilites i have. I don't force my tutees being tutored, it's not productive for both.
We are human before, players then.

• Do you follow a process while tutoring?
Im used to see what types of problems my tutees have. Fix them with him, and then improving his skills.
  • What's your favorite strategy that you've run? This can be from any metagame or time period.
As i said i love everything. i run everything i have in mind. Trick Room, Baton Pass, Sun, Rain everything pokemon has, im gonna run it.
  • Do you wish to get specific feedback from your tutee, and not just receive a grade?
Plus: I've been on Smogon long enough to not care about the grade, the badge, or the evaluation. I used to be a badgewhore but frankly I don't care anymore. I genuinely like to see my tutees succeed in whatever they put their minds to, so I could care less about my evaluation or grade right now. Battling 101 has given me a group of friends, new and old, that I still talk to on a regular basis - and that's the best thing that Smogon has ever given me. It's not about the pixels, but the relationships you build. I still talk to many of my past tutees because I enjoy talking to them. They're some of the best relationships I've built on this site.
  • If you could improve B101, what would you change?
It's ok. I probably fix the smogon home bout battling 101.

Thanks HellPowna for making it, and feel free to ask him questions.
~ Leftiez and Steve Angello
Hi it's so cool I wish you were my tutor I am new at all this I don't even know if I'm doing it right :s

hellpowna

beware of coco
omg bro, I have to ask you some srs questions

1) If you had to choose, which part of the female body is your favorite and why (except p00sy)
2) Would you hit on Bloo if you had the chance?
3) How do you keep being so positive all the time? (actual srs question)
4) When are you teaching me BW OU?
5) Why do you love BP so much?
6) on a scale of 1 to SOMALIA, how creativivity do you deem yourself in DPP?

and finally

7) If you could've sex with any girl in the world for one time, who would it be?
DAMN I really love ur questions so:

1) its hard man. i think ass, but puttin my head between both tits its so damn hot
2) my pokemon-dream
3) im a friendly person, im always positive. even when i dont feel good, im used to try keep being positive. i dont wanna my tutees see his tutor feeling not good
4) whenever you want :)
5) mhh my fav is not bp, but i love bp because it lets me close the game soon. im lazy and i hate stalling
6) LOL MHHHH i think enough. every1 knows my creative, i cant judge myself. ask 'em :)

and finally

7) SASHA GREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi it's so cool I wish you were my tutor I am new at all this I don't even know if I'm doing it right :s
sureman. check it out -> http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/2015-battling-101-schedule.3524485/

join the next round :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)