ORAS OU Sandstorm Isn't the Only Thing that is Raging (Peaked #1 on Suspect)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello all. Originally this team started as a joke to make the most cancerous team possible, but this team was way more effective than I thought it was going to be and I used it get #1 on the suspect ladder. The very first thing that came to mind to make the most cancerous team possible was Sand Veil! For some reason Sand Veil slipped under the radar, probably because Gen 6 lacks permanent sand. Sand Veil is usable the same way Sand Rush Excadrill is viable, you use an accompanying Smooth Rock Tyranitar to extend sand turns. To make the team more aggravating, I included a trapper and Gothitelle was the perfect fit. It practically handles stall teams on its own and does so in the best way possible: in a lengthy pp stall that your opponent is forced to click through. To finish off the team, I needed paralysis support from water-resists so that my Sand Veil users could have more chances at a free Substitute. I came up with SubSeed Ferrothorn that forces a lot fo switches and Calm Mind Mega-Slowbro to help with the offense matchup. This team wasn't just #1, it was #1 by a decent margin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
probability lesson
PLEASE READ THIS SECTION! There is some math involved but it explains how Sand Veil is broken and should give the understanding as to why it should be banned. Some people also asked me how I got such a stupid team to the top of ladder. This explains why lol

I do not know why Sand Veil is still unbanned, but in my opinion it is pretty broken. A lot of people will argue "Sand Veil is only a 20% chance and we already willing use stuff like Focus Blast. So Sand Veil is unreliable and you can easily beat it!" This argument is very flawed and stems from a misunderstanding about how probability works. And here's a fun fact. In Gen 5 and 6 Sand Veil increases evasion by 25% instead of 20% like in Gen 4. Game Freak what were you thinking!

Let the probability of a given event to occur be "P". As you should all remember, the probability for the opposite scenario to happen is (1 - P). You should also remember that the way to get the probability of events occurring is by multiplying the probability of each individual event together. So for example, to get the probability of landing heads two times for a fair coin is (1/2)*(1/2) = 1/4 = 25%. Lastly, to get the probability of two mutually exclusive events, you add them together. The probability of rolling a 1 or a 2 on a fair six sided die is (1/6)+(1/6) = 2/6 = 1/3 = 33%. An easy way to understand this is if you use AND you multiply and if you use OR you add. Now to get the probability for an event NOT to happen N times in a row, we use (1-P)^N. To get the probability of event to happen N times in a row you use P^N

Armed with this knowledge, we can now find out the probability of an opponent breaking through Sand Veil. The game's way of determining accuracy is through the formula Base Accuracy of used move * (Acurracy Stage / Evasion Stage). If just Sand Veil is in play, the Evasion Stage increases 25% to 1.25. So we can plug in P = 1* 1/1.25 = 0.8 for the probability of hitting. If my Garchomp or Gliscor comes in at full health on the field with no SR damage I get 4 Substitutes, so we can plug N = 4. Now we plug values up to 4 into the formula, with P = 0 and N = 1 being the test cases to make sure the formula makes sense!
Formula: P^N
P = 1: 1^1 = 1 = 100%. If Sand Veil isn't in play Sand Veil isn't activated you won't miss. Checks out!
N = 1: 0.8^1 = 80% If Sand Veil is active you have an 80.0% chance of hitting, so this makes sense!

Now let's increase N.

0.8^2 = 0.64 = 64%
0.8^3 = 0.512 = 51.2%
0.8^4 = 0.409 = 40.9%
So with just Sand Veil in play, the opponent only has a 40.9% chance to break all the Substitutes. Whoa! Now some of you might say that still isn't bad enough and that this only works if the opponent is slower than you in the first place. Well this is where paralysis support comes into play! With paralysis support, not only do you make the opponent slower than you so you can sub up first, but you also add to the chance the opponent will not move! In fact it is an extra 25%. So to include the chance of paralysis in the calculation, we multiply the probability of paralysis to the chance of the sand veil miss (aka the chance in a turn to miss from Sand Veil OR be paralyzed) because the accuracy check won't execute if you get paralyzed in the first place.

Now, let's plug in P = Moving with Paralysis * (Abase * (Accuracy Stage / Evasion Stage)) = 0.75 * (1 * 1/1.25) = 0.6. For more fun, I'll also include extra calculations for stuff that isn't 100% accurate but are common moves that foes would attack Garchomp or Gliscor with.
N starts at one and increases by 1.

0.6^1 = 0.6= 60%
0.6^2 = 0.36 = 36%
0.6^3 = 0.216 = 21.6%
0.6^4 = 0.129 = 12.9%

Let's say you wanted to setup on a paralyzed Choiced Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump because it wanted to break past Slowbro. Well now you have to change the base accuracy (Abase) in the probability formula.

P = Moving with Paralysis * (Abase * Accuracy Stage / Evasion Stage) = 0.75 * (0.8 * 1/1.25) = 0.48.

0.48^1 = 0.48 = 48%
0.48^2 = 0.2304 = 23.04%
0.48^3 = 0.1102 = 11.02%
0.48^4 = 0.053 = 5.03%
As you can see, with just Sand Veil and Paralysis in play, your opponent only has a 9.15% 12.9% chance to break all 4 of your Substitutes i.e. you have a (100%-12.9%) = 87.1% chance of getting a free Substitute! That isn't even considering that your opponent is using a 100% accurate move. On top of that, this is just for one sand veil user. When Garchomp is paired with Gliscor, N could possibly be 8, making the chance for a free substitute better! Guess what the chance of breaking all the Substitutes of Gliscor and Garchomp is without any paralysis? 0.8^8 =0.1677 = 16.77%. With paralysis support? 0.48^8 = 0.002 = 0.2% lol

Sand Veil is consistent at getting free Substitutes as the math indicates above. Not to mention it just another way of increasing evasion and adding luck to the game, yet it isn't covered under evasion clause. When Sand Veil's free substitutes are on powerful sweepers like Swords Dance Garchomp and Swords Dance Acrobatics Gliscor, it isn't just good, its broken.
the team

AIDS TEAM GG (Tyranitar) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
-Thunder Wave
- Fire Blast​

The pokemon that starts it all: support Tyranitar. Tyranitar is a really good Stealth Rocker because it can survive nearly any hit. The three attacking moves are Tyranitar's best attacking moves in the metagame. Stone Edge is absolutely necessary to check Talonflame. Otherwise if the specially defensive set burns you won't be able to do enough damage to it with Crunch. Crunch is necessary to hit bulky Psychic's hard and to make them wary of switching in. It is especially helpful when facing stuff like Reuniclus and Slowbro. In addition, it is the best move to just throw out there if you don't really know what the opponent is going to switch in. Fire Blast is needed to prevent opposing Spikers and Mega-Scizor from setting up. It is also useful for catching Skarmory for my Gliscor and Garchomp.

Tyranitar's primary role on the team is to setup Sandstorm for Sand Veil Garchomp and Gliscor. In addition, Tyranitar is my team's primary special tank. Ferrothorn has less special defense than normal spreads, so Tyranitar can absorb stronger special hits like Latios' Draco Meteor for my Ferrothorn so Ferrothorn stays healthy. Normally it isn't my lead because it is water weak, but it is important to bring out early game so you can get Sand Veil hax started.

edit: Thunder Wave was added to TTar so I could paralyze more stuff. Crunch wasn't being used that much.

BAN ME! (Garchomp) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw​

The menace from Gen 4 returns! Garchomp is the most powerful abuser of Sand Veil because of its great speed, power, and nearly unresisted STAB coverage. The set is simple: max speed and max attack are used to for maximum power and so that I can outspeed base 100's. Substitute is used to dodge status and to dodge attacks with Sand Veil. Just spam it and they'll most likely miss. Earthquake is Garchomp's most powerful Ground-STAB. Dragon Claw is used over Outrage because I found the ability to not get stalled by Fairies + the freedom to Substitute repeatedly after revenge killing with Dragon Claw is more valuable then the extra power. 4 Defense makes sure you HP isn't even so you can Substitute 4 times instead of just 3 times.

Yache Berry is the twist on this set. I was finding that my team was having trouble with Thundurus and Mega-Manectric, so I decided to put Yache Berry on Garchomp to lure them in if they try to revenge kill with HP Ice. Not only do they have to contend with the chance of missing in the first place, but if they stay in they get killed by boosted Dragon Claw or Earthquake. After a team's Electric type has been killed by Garchomp, usually Mega-Slowbro has a field day with Calm Mind.

Sand Veil Garchomp is a big threat, and if you are thinking about using it yourself on a team that isn't necessarily this one, I'll tell you a bit about the different item choices. First there is the classic Leftovers vs Bright Powder to increase the chance of you getting a free Substitute. Remember the in-game probability formula, P of hitting = Abase * (Accuracy Stage / Evasion Stage)? Well Bright Powder increases Evasion Stage value to 0.35 while Leftovers will increase the N value to 5 or more. Soooo...
Note that there is some ambiguity about what exactly brightpowder does. Some sites like bulbapedia and smogon say that it increases evasion by 10%, i.e. it modifies the evasion stat). Meanwhile, the in game description and some other sites says that it lowers accuracy by 10% i.e. it would modify the Accuracy Stage variable. This makes a huge difference if the 10% modification is multiplicative instead of additive (which is also what I am assuming). For this I use a multiplicative brightpowder that modifies evasion stage.

Bright Powder P = 1 * (1 / (1.25 * 1.1)) = 1 * (1/(1.375) = 0.727
1 Substitute (N=1): 0.757^1 = 72.7%
2 Substitutes (N=2): 0.757^2 = = 52.9%
3 Substitutes (N = 3): 0.757^3 = 38.4%
4 Substitutes (N = 4): 0.757^4 = 27.9%

Leftovers

4 Substitutes (N = 4): 0.8^4 = 0.4096 = 40.96%
5 Substitutes (N = 5): 0.8^5 = 0.3276 = 32.76%
6 Substitutes (N = 6): 0.8^6 = 0.2621 = 26.21%
Starting at full health, Bright Powder Garchomp is better than Leftovers Garchomp because it will be able to get 4 Substitutes up and it has a better free Substittute chance than a Lefties Garchomp that Substitutes 5 times! Leftovers Garchomp, however, is much more consistent. It always gets 5 Substitutes from full health even with SR down, and when it does get 5 subs it is better than a Bright Powder Garchomp that subs 3 times. Also consider the Lefties Garchomp has more longevity, but brightpowder can net you a miss even outside of sand. FYI, you need 4 HP Garchomp if you want to have 5 chances at substitute.

Salac Berry and Yache Berry are two items that you can use effectively. Both of them sacrifice a higher miss chance for the ability to surprise standard offensive checks. Yache Berry, as mentioned, surprises offensive Electrics. Meanwhile, Salac Berry gives you the chance to outpace Choice Scarfers like Kyurem-Black and Landorus-T to possibly get a sweep against offensive teams. Hell you could run Garchompite for maximum power to unexpectedly break past Unaware Quagsire and Clefable with the Sand support!

BAN ME 2! (Gliscor)
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake​

Sand Veil Gliscor is Garchomp's accompanying sweeper. Its a shame that Flying Gem isn't released, otherwise Gliscor would be more of a terror than it already is. Gliscor is one of the fastest users of Sand Veil next to Garchomp. Like Garchomp's set, this set is simple. Max attack is for maximum power. Max speed with a Jolly nature outspeeds base 100's. Normally people do not expect Gliscor to be that fast, so it gets some surprise kills here and there. Acrobatics + Earthquake is Gliscor's most consistent and powerful coverage. After an SD, this thing is surprisingly powerful:
+2 252 Atk Gliscor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 136-161 (44.8 - 53.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Gliscor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 216-255 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Gliscor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 195-229 (55.3 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Gliscor's role on the team is to soften stuff up for Garchomp usually. It also has an important defensive role on the team. It is the best switchin to opposing Ground-types and Scizor's U-turn. It is also my team's best Knock Off absorber. In fact, it can actually setup on opposing Knock Off Gliscor because Knock Off won't break my Gliscor's Sub (4 Def even makes it so two min rolls won't break my Gliscor's Sub). Finally, it is a secondary way to remove Mega-Venusaur if my Gothitelle fails to trap it.

I'd also like to talk about other options. For Gliscor, your other options include running Sitrus Berry or running an item + a different attacking move from Acrobatics. Sitrus Berry let's you get 5 substitutes vs 4 substitutes, which means more miss chances. In my opinion it isn't worth it because forcing Gliscor to take half health of its health away just to use Acrobatics really reduces its longevity. Also it sucks when you need to Acrobatics something but you do not have the power (lost some games because of that). You can run pretty much the same items as Garchomp does (Lefties, Yache Berry, etc.) with either Stone Edge, Knock Off, or Ice Fang. The power loss from not having Acrobatics is substantial though, so I wouldn't run it.

Lastly you have other Sand Veil users you could pair with Garchomp. Did you know that Heliolisk gets Sand Veil? Its a surprisingly good pokemon with great coverage. Between Thunderbolt - Hyper Voice - Surf - Focus Blast with a Life Orb you hit every Ground, Electric, and Grass type in OU hard. Hyper Voice freaking 2HKO's Mega-Venusaur! If you want to use Substitute its hard to decide which coverage move to drop though. You can also use Cacturne which has a brutal Swords Dance set, but its a bit slow for my tastes.

LOL "COMPETITIVE" (Gothitelle) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick
- Rest​

Originally this was a Magnezone, but Magnezone only helped against Steel-types, especially Skarmory and Ferrothorn for my Sand Veil sweepers and Mega-Slowbro. With Magnezone I still had a huge weakness to stall with Unaware Quagsire and Clefable. Also it was not lame enough. Gothitelle is the next lamest pokemon I could think of, so it joined the team. I was really surprised as to how well it handled stall and how well it performed its trapping duties. The EV's are ripped straight from on-site. 80 HP prevents Chansey's Seismic Tossing from 3HKOing so it can be PP stalled with Rest, then speed was maximized so it can revenge kill some stuff, and then the rest was dump into Special attack. Psychic is STAB and eliminates Mega-Venusaur for Slowbro. I elected to go with Hidden Power Fire over Calm Mind to get rid of Ferrothorn more easily and having the possibility of trapping Scizor (which is a huge annoyance for my team). Trick + Rest is necessary to PP stall defensive pokemon. With both Ferrothorn and Mega-Venusaur trapped, Ferrothorn is free to spam Leech Seed. Sometimes you can use Gothitelle as an emergency revenge killer and if stuff has been paralyzed use its speed to pick random stuff off (like Scizor and Thundurus-I).

This pokemon has been under the radar for way too long and it needs to banned. Its really unfortunate that we allow something that just "auto-wins" versus more defensive teams just because it doesn't perform well in other circumstances. Is it really fair for me to trap pokes and win versus some pokes and there is absolutely nothing the opponent can do about it? Shadow Tag totally manipulates how the opponent is going to play, forces defensive pokemon to have no free turns to recover, and makes people just quit out of frustration. If anything, STAG Gothitelle should be banned on time stalling grounds. More nefarious people on the ladder can time just when to Trick you so that you only Struggle once, so then you get forced to pick another move for more PP stalling. You can waste like 48 turns alone by doing this lol

JUST GIVE UP (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 84 SpD / 84 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave​

Now you when you first look at this set the first thing that came to mind probably was "what is that lol" so allow me to explain. For my Sand Veil users I wanted some good paralysis support. I knew that Ferrothorn is an unepected Paralysis user that Ground-types and Electric-types don't like switching into. This team originally started as a joke and I wanted something that was a little more trolly. I knew that Subseeders were a good fit on paralysis teams, so I came up with SubSeed Ferrothorn. Maybe Spikes could fit better on this team, but SubSeed Ferrothorn is just so much fun. Much to my surprise, Subseed Ferrothorn turned out to be surprisingly good. In fact, when played right it can beat Heatran and Charizard X 1 vs 1 sometimes.

The way this set works is that Ferrothorn is a Pokemon that forces a ton of switches, so it can use Substitute to scout out what the opponent is going to do. Normally the opponent switches out to his Ferrothorn counter while you Substitute. When the opponent tries to break Ferrothorn's Substitute (normally Heatran's Lava Plume) you Thunder Wave. Now you have two options: Substitute again for a paralysis chance or switch out, then the next times Ferrothorn comes in Substitute or Leech Seed. Your opponent will now be put into an annoying position. If he switches out Ferrothorn is still behind a Substitute and he takes SR damage. If he stays in his health is slowly whittled away. One of the interesting things about this Ferrothorn is that it only risks 1 Scald burn, the one before you Substitute. Other Ferrothorns fall prey to Scald spam and always get burned (two Scalds = 50% chance to burn!). On this team you can pass Leech Seeds to Gliscor and Garchomp so they get even more chances to Substitute. In addition, Ferrothorn pulls off the classic para-flinch combo with Iron Head that can buy it extra Leech Seed turns and annoy your opponent. Iron Head is also helpful versus Clefable. Power Whip is also useful because Mega-Gyarados practically 6-0's this team but sometimes I can play around it with Twave Ferro and Slowbro.

The EV's are Ferrothorn's standard set but with the EV's from Special Defense put into speed. The speed investment lets you outspeed paralyzed targets so you can effectively SubSeed them. I used a couple different benchmarks while laddering. The one above is the fastest and the one I settled on. 84 Spe EV's outspeeds paralyzed Weavile (and everything paralyzed below) as well as uninvested base 30's. This benchmark is nice because it lets you scout out Slowbro for FB, avoids Slowbro's Scald, and outspeeds the increasingly popular Weaville. Other benchmarks include 48 Spe to outspeed paralyzed base 110's, 68 Spe to outspeed paralyzed AV Tornadus-T, and 72 Spe to outspeed paralyzed max speed Tornadus-T. 16 atk EV's gives you a very small chance of 2HKO'ing Clefable with Iron Head, not considering paralysis or flinching. You could even run Anticipation to make sure your Ferrothorn doesn't necessarily have to use Substitute to scout out moves. Normally I wouldn't recommend Anticipation on all other Ferrothorn sets, but Iron Barbs doesn't give damage behind a Substitute so sometimes it is useless and doesn't come into play often. I still need to test it out but it seems good in theory.

MEGA AIDS (Slowbro) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off​

I only had one more team slot left, and there were still a ton of threats to cover! I needed a second Water resist, a Keldeo counter, a second paralysis inducer, a better win con vs offensive teams, and of course something that was sufficiently annoying and trolly to piss of my opponent. Luckily I still had my mega-slot open and Mega-Slowbro was the perfect glue for the team. Again the EV's are ripped straight off site. 248 HP reduces residual damage, the defense EV's is some weirdo benchmark that avoids Adamant Diggersby 2HKO from Return (i don't think it does lol), with the rest poured into special defense to tank beefier special hits after CM. Scald is obligatory burn STAB and Calm Mind makes Slowbro a dangerous late game sweeper. Thunder Wave + Slack Off is the variation with this Slowbro. Slowbro is a great Thunder Waver because most Ground-types hate to switch into his Scald. On top of that, Thunder Wave allows Slowbro to sometimes cheese his way past opposing Calm Minders by grabbing an extra CM when the opposing CM'er gets para'ed. Thunder Wave + Slack Off means Slowbro is optimized for taking down offensive team by slowing down the opposing team and avoiding 2HKO's be continuously recovering.

The best way to play Slowbro is to bring it out early game to burn stuff with Scald and paralyze stuff. Be sure not to mevo Slowbro early game because Regenerator really helps to stave off sand damage and to keep it healthy late into the game. Then when the time is right, usually when the opponents team is all paralyzed and Mega-Venusaur / Ferrothorn / offensive electric has been removed, set up a CM. You outspeed almost the entirety of the opponent's team and can just spam Slack Off (without a fear of a crit) waiting for paralysis to give you a free turn. Then CM more and win lol. I don't know what it is about Mega-Slowbro that make it so frustrating to play against. Maybe because its sprite is broken on ps? Anyway, its really derpy and stupid looking design helps in further frustrating the opponent after he realizes he's helpless and its gg when it gets up a Calm Mind.

Importable
Code:
BAN ME! (Garchomp) @ Yache Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

AIDS TEAM GG (Tyranitar) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

JUST GIVE UP (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 84 SpD / 84 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

LOL "COMPETITIVE" (Gothitelle) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick
- Rest

MEGA AIDS (Slowbro) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

BAN ME 2! (Gliscor)
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
Conclusion

And there it is folks. The most dominating strategy in the metagame and on the ladder is not a well crafted team based around a potent offensive threat or an unbreakable defensive core. The best strategy right now is throwing together the lamest pokemon on to one team together to abuse hax and unescapable trapping to their fullest potential. Hopefully this RMT has shown you why Sand Veil and Shadow Tag should be banned, if it didn't you missed the point. Although this RMT didn't use it, I would also file Baton Pass in conjunction with a boosting move in the same category of "lame no skill 'strats'" that should be banned. We shouldn't hesitate banning something just because it may annoy people who aren't really that involved in the competitive scene / totally outside of it.
TGMD come back to ou when its better missing fun times we had
Trinitrotoluene sometimes i see you around. it cool to see you again but did you ever leave lol
xray oupl peeps fun to ladder with
Tokyo Tom for fighting the good fight rip oupl

AM Its been less than 24 hours on council AM and I am putting you on the hotseat plz lets get sand veil, brightpowder, shadow tag, and baton pass+boosting moves out of this tier
aim would the youtubers want to see this
McMeghan Tesung do you mind seeing this stuff in world cup? yes? ban.

Last edited:

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Yeah, this is a REALLY nice team to show off how broken evasion in sand can be. IIRC there were some plebs on /vp/ who were moaning about this team, and for good reason. Normally 100% accurate moves missed nearly half the time, and it was so hilarious to watch them get mad. That said, I really like the use of evasion here. For a troll team it's really well constructed, and it really does throw a lot of conventional ideas out the window.

Sand Veil Garchomp is really neat since most people expect some sort of fat chomp is this meta and the acrobatics Gliscor is a really cool partner. You mentioned using some stuff like Heliolisk or Catcurne as well, and I like to think that Heliolisk could actually be pretty great on a team like this, except Heliolisk is stupidly flimsy. The coverage is nice, and it could be worth checking out as well if the deam does lack coverage.

And as for banning this stuff in general. It's probably a safe bet to agree with most, if not all your wants and needs and what have you. this team really does show how broken Birghtpowder and evasion really are in this meta. I don't totally agree with the Shadow Tag being extremely borked, but I can see where you're coming from with it. But yeah, evasion needs to GTFO especially before WCOP. As soon as more and more people catch onto this kind of playstyle, the bigger it's going to get, and then the meta's just going to come down to who can call coin flips better but don't worry, tails never fails.

But again, cute team :]

EDIT: Here's that /vp/ thread
http://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/23481781#p23481781

Last edited:
Wow, this is cruel. My only suggestion is give Gliscor a Sitris Berry to add to the amount of times possible to get behind a Substitute. Even a Salac Berry would work to raise speed.

leremyju

Banned deucer.
bro u are fucking awesome. I was really interested in what u had to say about the math. I was not dissapointed. unfortunately some retards will be spamming this team cuz they are too aids to get reqs. good thing 2:1 exists now

bro u are fucking awesome. I was really interested in what u had to say about the math. I was not dissapointed. unfortunately some retards will be spamming this team cuz they are too aids to get reqs. good thing 2:1 exists now
well unfortunately for you a decent amount of it was wrong lol but I fixed it now! Credits to metmaver and theurbandear for helping me iron out some of my probability mistakes (even I was ignorant with probability haha). My mistakes concerned the probabilities when paralysis was included, using the wrong value for Sand Veil's evasion boost, and not taking into account how the game calculates evasion.
  • When the probability to hit through paralysis is included with the probability to hit through evasion, you multiply the probabilities not add. This is because when you get paralyzed the game never does an accuracy check because you don't attack (like a short circuit evaluation)
  • Sand Veil's evasion modifier was increased from 20% in Gen 4 to 25% in Gen 5. It didn't change the first sections results but it changed the later sections.
  • The game uses this formula to get the probability of hitting: Base Accuracy of Move * (Acurracy Stage / Evasion Stage) as seen here. I did not account for this. This was important for calculating the chance of hitting with inaccurate moves like Keldeo's Hydro Pump.
  • I changed it from "chance of missing" to "chance of hitting" to make it easier to understand and make it more from the viewpoint of facing an opponent that uses sand veil as opposed to using it yourself.
In the end however, it didn't really change the results significantly. The end results of breaking all eight Substitutes without fail changed from 9.12% to 12.9%, which isn't a large enough difference to make Sand Veil inconsistent and non-banworthy. Also I got 3:1 with this team so I can't imagine 2:1 could be a problem.

Lastly all you are scrubs and haven't even realized that Mega-Pigeout is obviously a perfect counter to Sand Veil.

With No Guard STAB Hurricane and HP Ice, it can outspeed and just breeze through Sand Veil users and teams. Tagging AM and McMeghan to be more transparent about Sand Veil (not the probability stuff obvi just that Mega-Pidgeout wrecks Sand Veil and if it has a revenge killer it obviously isn't banworthy. If it attacks Mega-Mence who is ubers likeso it can attack Sand Veil the same way).

really I love your team. After I lost a game to complete hax I decided to make a team abusing hax instead. It became kinda similar to yours, though I opted for Mega Tyranitar with Dragon Dance, Brightpowder on Tyranitar with Sword Dance instead of Substitute and using Poison Jab, a defensive core of Jellicent and Scizor (defog) and no stealth Rock user. my Special attackers were Gengar and Volcarona. Your team gave me some ideas for improvements, including the more defensive Tyranitar.

The only thing I do not like are the 4 phsysical pokemon you have. Ive got a feeling that a pokemon like Skarmory or Ferrothorn will absolutelly wall your team, expecially once they've gotten rid of Gothitella. I might be wrong of course in that regard. Also you got a lack of spinners/defoggers. That too could be a weakness. Your tactic of substitute can also be beaten by Mega Gardevoir I believe, who will instantly KO Garchomp and Tyranitar. How do you beat these threats?

I tried out the team and won my first 3 matches, then I ran into a weavile which made me realized there are 0 switch ins on this team. Luckily I was able to paralyze it on the knock off and beat it with slowbro hax.
Also I think this team would be hilarious if there was paraflicnch jirachi or togekiss somewhere in it. They work as great paralyzers with the 60% para body slam

CM sub Keldeo 6-0s your team from lvl 1 if you lead with Tyranitar (or anything else actually). Psychic on Slowbro fixes this but then you'd have to drop slack off which is meh.

EDIT: Gengar and Alakazam also seem problematic in midgame, especially Alakazam as you can't really revenge him that efficiently with Gothi. Shadow ball/Focus blast or Psychic/Focus blast is pretty good against your team.

Last edited:
CM sub Keldeo 6-0s your team from lvl 1 if you lead with Tyranitar (or anything else actually). Psychic on Slowbro fixes this but then you'd have to drop slack off which is meh.
I mean, given that this is a team relying on hax sand to win, you can just cheese your way through the Keldeo with evasion.

You could also run Psyshock over Psychic on Gothitelle.

The hax is pretty shit tbh, I played with this team and I never really felt in control of the outcome of the game. In a way it reminded me of swagger/foul play. I also lost quite a bit to people who I would never have lost to if I played a 'normal' team. Then again, maybe I just don't know wtf I'm doing and I'm playing the team incorrectly. A few replays would really help, I don't know why teams get to the team showcase when there's no replays present, they are truly a crucial part of a RMT topic IMO.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Oh wow I remember playing against this and being surprised that Gliscor outsped my Hydreigon, something that actually threatened you a lot, as it does most balanced builds. I ultimately lost because I took that Acrobatics damage though and I got no chances to Roost on you after that.
Overall this is a really amusing team and I give you props for making Sand Veil and Scarf Rest Gothitrash work, though I really would implore you to try the Specs set so it at least has some 1 for 1 value vs more offensive squads as opposed to being absolute dead weight, you'll still be able to pick apart stall just fine as well as salvaging whatever shreds of dignity you have left.

So for people asking replays (HUARGH Ash Star Jernmax), this is my run through an OU room tour with the team (bar the first match) that I won. Sand Veil came into play for some of these matches, especially for round 5. Basically I bs'ed my way to victory with Sand Veil, I didn't really kill anything with SubSeed Ferrothorn, Goth, or CM Slowbro lol. From these matches you can also see a lot of the time Sand Veil Gliscor is more potent than Garchomp because it gets so many more setup opportunities, especially against Lando-T, and because it is so unexpected. Another thing you should take note of is how I use TrickScarf to take care of problematic pokes like Fighting-coverage Thundurus. Basically you trick it a scarf and its locked into one move so it can't do much. I do that for stuff like Serperior too. Sometimes its better to save scarf to just revenge kill them, but its a nice little trick (heh) to have up your sleeve to neuter a poke. Also in the round 4 game you can see how Sand+Gothitelle really pressure Venusaur. If you have a trapper, if the opponent recovers his poke his toast because you give a free turn for a trapper to switch in. How can the opponent contend with CM Slowbro+SubSeed Ferrothorn if he can't even have a turn to recover?

I have made one change to the team, and that is using Thunder Wave TTar (aka Brazilian TTar). Ultimately I found that I was not using Crunch that often because Gothitelle+Slowbro+SubSD'ers can handle the bulky Psychics that Crunch targets. It's nice to have an extra Thunder Waver. Different targets switch into Tyranitar than Ferrothorn and Slowbro, so that means more stuff can get paralyzed and be setup bait for Gliscor and Garchomp.

Hopefully these replays give you a good idea on how to play the team and why Sand Veil and Shadow Tag should be banned. Thanks for the compliments, the hates, and the rates!

round 1: I accidentally loaded a ADV team lol
round 2: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-239413758
round 3: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-239415094
round 4: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-239417721
round 5: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-239419563
finals: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-239430168

edit: I'll add more replays for whenever i play with this team. here is sand veil gliscor at its finest: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-239914925

edit 2: here are some more battles. The last replay the opponent brought a counter team and still lost (albeit switching out of pidgeout was a big misplay). I could have SD'd on Keldeo with Garchomp though, giving me a 43% chance to win if the Keldeo missed at least one Scald instead of relying on my opponent misplaying. Crazy that with a counterteam in the end there was a 43% chance for the opponent to lose!

vs Obliviate: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-240046354
vs GetThisMoney: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-240048209
counter team vs TheLaughingCats: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-240052883

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)