Averagemons

+
+

This regen core gave me a lot of grief last time I played Averagemons. Now that it's up for LCotM (or however we're doing that acronym,) what are some viable mons that can break through?

Some things I notice about the trio is it lacks a Rock and Psychic resist. Anyone want to build off of that?
Emolga @ LO.
Motor Drive
-Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
-Air Slash
-Thunder Wave
-Taunt

emolga breaks this core

252+ SpA Life Orb Emolga Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Amoonguss: 260-307 (64.3 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe [Insert your preferred speed creep here]
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off / Taunt / Toxic / Baton Pass

This is an amazing mon that threatens a lot of stall cores, and it can also threaten the one posted by Eevee General (depending on their sets). It also serves as a solid check / counter to Groudon. Its great because it can outstall Quagsire and Clefable, which would normally wall setup mons. This mon has been on pretty much all of my teams, and I'm sure Mamp can vouch for its effectiveness.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
+
+

This regen core gave me a lot of grief last time I played Averagemons. Now that it's up for LCotM (or however we're doing that acronym,) what are some viable mons that can break through?

Some things I notice about the trio is it lacks a Rock and Psychic resist. Anyone want to build off of that?
LCotM sounds like Little Cup of the Month haha,,,

that core looks like cancer

sets pls

With all Fire / Water / Grass cores, there are three more Pokemon that further counter the weakness of the three main Pokemon. A good Pokemon here would be Mega Sableye, as it is immune to Psychic-type moves, and both Ho-Oh and Amoonguss can cover it's Fairy-type weakness.

idk abotu a rock cover tho~

I wanted to share a team I've had great success with in average tours and ladder (peak #1 lel). Its basically sand spam, but with quag lures and shit to beat other unawares. Basically the idea is to break down defenses by making them do double work vs. excadrill and sandslash. I also tried this with stoutland but he takes sandstorm damage and his movepool is eh.
Crawdaunt @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Hippopotas @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 156 SpD / 100 Spe
Careful Nature
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang
- Toxic

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Sandslash @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Foresight
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick

Sandslash vs. Quag calc with stats set at 100:
4 SpA Life Orb Sandslash Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 229-270 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Creeping in this meta is super duper hard. Like seriously, its all a guessing game. Damn.

MAMP

MAMP!
I wanted to share a team I've had great success with in average tours and ladder (peak #1 lel). Its basically sand spam, but with quag lures and shit to beat other unawares. Basically the idea is to break down defenses by making them do double work vs. excadrill and sandslash. I also tried this with stoutland but he takes sandstorm damage and his movepool is eh.
Crawdaunt @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Hippopotas @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 156 SpD / 100 Spe
Careful Nature
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang
- Toxic

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Sandslash @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Foresight
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick

Sandslash vs. Quag calc with stats set at 100:
4 SpA Life Orb Sandslash Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 229-270 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Creeping in this meta is super duper hard. Like seriously, its all a guessing game. Damn.
This team looks cool, but is two sand setters really necessary? seems to me like one would be better off replaced by something that could help with your crippling weakness to grass and water.

Also LCOTM HYPEEEE!! looking forward to reclaiming my throne

This team looks cool, but is two sand setters really necessary? seems to me like one would be better off replaced by something that could help with your crippling weakness to grass and water.

Also LCOTM HYPEEEE!! looking forward to reclaiming my throne
Well, honestly, I've wobbled between one and two, but I think that its nice to have a defensive backbone to fall back onto. If I didn't run the second hippo, I'd probably use stoutland.
By the way, this is the most balanced and fun omotm ever. Please buy yourself an ice cream cone.

Last edited:

MAMP

MAMP!
+
+

This core can be tricky to break through, but there are ways: a lot of set up sweepers can break past this core, like CM swoobat, sd/dd crawdaunt, and the gliscor set kit posted. As well, boltbeam coverage destroys this core; kecleon is an example of a mom that can run this effectively, and can even boost up with nasty plot. Offensive primal groudon with fire/ground/rock coverage is something ive run into quite a lot, and it can break this core with ease.

He is still pretty powerful imo
252 Atk Mega Rayquaza Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 91-108 (26.6 - 31.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 Atk Magikarp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 91-108 (26.6 - 31.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Why is Mega Gengar & Gothitelle banned? Why not just ban all trapping abilities and unban them both

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
With hazard support and proper prediction, HP Rock Ninetales breaks the shit out of that Regen core lol

That might just be me totally loving sun offense though. CB Ho-Oh <3

As far as Speed is concerned: if you don't know how much to creep, hit a different benchmark. Find a Super Effective hit you want to live or a KO you want to get, max something else if you so desire, and put the rest in Speed. If you're using anything that gets to +2 Speed such as Chlorophyll sweepers or Rock Polish users, you should aim to hit 247 Speed, which will outrun all Choice Scarf users (and is really not much investment at all!).

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Really enjoying this meta, pretty balanced. Set-up is everywhere, but with stuff like Taunt+Encore Whimsi and Roar Tran(for example) being able to shut it down easily, I'd say it's not over centralizing at all. A lot of under rated mons are very viable here and I think that is what stands out most to me in Averagemons.

It might just be me, but I think that ditto is a little too good for the meta. 404 hp is a lot. It's kind of like imposter Chansey (except no evio bulk) in BH, except there aren't the same workarounds because judgement isn't something that everything can learn. What do you guys think?

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
It might just be me, but I think that ditto is a little too good for the meta. 404 hp is a lot. It's kind of like imposter Chansey (except no evio bulk) in BH, except there aren't the same workarounds because judgement isn't something that everything can learn. What do you guys think?
Haven't run into it, yet. Seems manageable. I know Imposter Chansey is a reliable answer to set-up, for the most part, and is allowed because it brings a lot of balance to BH. Same with scarf Ditto in Ubers. I feel like Imposter is very easy to fit on any team, even if it is a bit lazy. Since, Ditto has the same stats as other mons and it has to run a scarf getting locked into one move or pray to win a speed tie while also giving up the knowledge of the exact moves it has copied, it sounds underwhelming. I'd have to see it in action to have any real input on whether it's OP or not.

With hazard support and proper prediction, HP Rock Ninetales breaks the shit out of that Regen core lol

That might just be me totally loving sun offense though. CB Ho-Oh <3

As far as Speed is concerned: if you don't know how much to creep, hit a different benchmark. Find a Super Effective hit you want to live or a KO you want to get, max something else if you so desire, and put the rest in Speed. If you're using anything that gets to +2 Speed such as Chlorophyll sweepers or Rock Polish users, you should aim to hit 247 Speed, which will outrun all Choice Scarf users (and is really not much investment at all!).
For those of you lazy to go check Mew and see how many EVs this is, thats 44 spe with a neutral nature :]

So this post isn't too short, I suppose I'll tell you all of the god that is Megazam

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Encore

Mega Alakazam is a super anti-meta pokemon right now, as it beats/irritates a lot of common mons such as:

- Anything Regenerator
- Anything Sheer Force (especially Nidoqueen/King)
- Anything Adaptability (especially Skrelp and Dragalge)
- Emolga (which is common now that EG posted that core)
- Any set-up sweeper not boosting speed (via Encore)
- Probs others im not thinking of

It takes advantage of the opponent in a big way, and can pull some pretty good results if played correctly

**EDIT** It's been brought to my attention Gardevoir is better in every feasible way. Use it

Last edited:
vs.

The eternal debate. Wooper and Quagsire are incredibly similar. They're both the same typing, have the same movepools, and have the exact same abilities. Well, I'm going to put it bluntly: Wooper is superior. Firstly, Wooper has an incredibly cute factor to it which Quagsire lacks. Secondly, Wooper weighs far less, weighing only 8.5 kg versus Quagsire's 75 kg. This means Wooper takes 20 damage from Grass Knot / Low Kick, while Quagsire takes 80. This is noticeable when you think about which Pokemon use Grass Knot, however uncommon that may be. Greninja can't 2HKO Wooper, while Quagsire is always 2HKOed. That's just on example of Grass Knot not doing much versus Wooper, while Quagsire's getting overwhelmed. This is similar to Low Kick, which isn't going to do much to either anyways. The only thing that Wooper loses in this trade is against Heavy Slam, which isn't doing anything to it. A less powerful Grass Knot in a trade for a tad more powerful Heavy Slam against your Pokemon is much worth it. If you look in the big picture, Wooper is better for that specific situation.

Unless there's something I missed, I don't think it's good to use Quagsire unless you're with using derpy Pokemon instead of cute o_o??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)