(Singles) The Next Best Thing [Current Subject: Heatran] ~ NOMINATIONS ~

Sorry Guys, I'm actually amazing at deleting + adding things.
I made this first set and it involved Adamant, so forgot to change that. And yeaah. Lemme change this up.

BETTER, cant say ?

And signing off is a bad habit of mine, NOVED :[[

Last edited:
I'll give this one a try.

Dragonite @ Choice Specs
Ability: Multiscale
Level: 50
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse / Thunderbolt

Well, we all know what Choice Band Dragonite, Bulky Dragonite, and offensive Dragonite is like. How about we look more towards its Special Attack shall we? Often times we see Dragonite's base 100 Special Attack to be kind of overlooked compared to its Attack stat. But this set can be very surprising towards your opponents, as it can really fool Taunt and Will-O-Wisp users, so you can go for an attack. There's also many Rocky Helmet Pokemon along with Intimidators as well. Choice Specs Dragonite will help take advantage of its base 100 Special Attack.

About the moves and EVs, Dragonite should be holding Choice Specs, allowing it to hit harder at a +1.5 boost with all of its attacks. But remember, Choice Specs locks Dragonite to its move until you switch it out. This is more focused towards Dragonite being a bulky special attacker. The 204 EVs in HP allow for Dragonite to take more hits while there is no recovery. Maximum 252 EVs with a Modest nature, maximizes Dragonite's special attacking capabilities. The remaining 52 Speed EVs allow Dragonite to outspeed Suicune and Rotom uninvested. Now lets move onto the moveset. Hurricane is Dragonites STAB attack, hitting Fighting-, Grass-, and Bug-types such as Mega Gallade, Breloom, and Mega Pinsir. It also gives a chance to confuse the foe as well. Ice Beam hits Dragon-, Flying-, and Ground-types such as Garchomp, Mega Salamence, Thundurus, and Landorus-T. Fire Blast hits Steel- and Ice-types such as Ferrothorn and Mamoswine. Draco Meteor can be used as another STAB move that'll cause massive damage. Dragon Pulse is an alternative to Dragon Pulse if you don't want the drop in Special Attack. Thunderbolt can be used to hit Water-types such as Suicune and Azumarill.

After running some calcs, this thing with Choice Specs can honestly do a lot of damage.
Do you want to add those calcs? It helps me with evaluating this set.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Safeguard
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed / Earthquake / Fire Punch

So this is a very small change to the standard Dragon Dance set, forgoing a coverage move for Safeguard. I've been really interested in this since other 5-turn moves like Tailwind, Trick Room, and the Screens are pretty popular to support the Pokemon using it, as well as lasting after the Pokemon switches out. 5 turns can be a lot in 3v3, and being able to stop status moves from flying around for those turns can be pretty helpful. Dragonite is a cool user of it since it makes it pretty much impervious to status when combined with the Lum Berry. This means that Pranksters like Thundurus, Klefki and Sableye can't double-status you after the Lum Berry cures the initial status condition. It also stops you from getting confused by Outrage if the Lum Berry has already been consumed. Two-move coverage kinda sucks, but Outrage is strong af and E-speed is Dragonite's main niche as a Dragon-type, but we all know how good Dragon + Ground or Fire coverage is, perhaps Dragon Dance could be dropped for coverage..?

Same deal as VotW, I'll allow for another day or so before voting starts so get your set in before then if you haven't yet!

Dragonite@Weakness Policy
Nature: Modest/Mild
EVs: 224 Spe / 252 SpA / 32 Atk or SpD
- Agility
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast / Superpower / Earthquake
- Ice Beam / Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor

I think this set is pretty much explains itself. Battle Spot is prepared for Dragons more than enough to allow Dragonite to get its Weakness Policy to get activated for a free +2. After an Agility it should be able to outspeed any relevant Scarfer.
Draco should only be used on a mixed variant because it pretty much negates the boost which was granted by Weakness Policy but STAB Flying, Fire Blast and Ice Beam should it most relevant things for at least neutral damage.

With 224 Spe, it outspeeds after an Agility a Jolly Scarfed Garchomp by exactly 1 point leaving 32 EVs that can be put to its Atk or bulk.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Time to vote! Here are your options...
Bit disappointing to only get 3 4 entries on a mon that has a bunch of options (where was Rain Dance + Hurricane + Thunder + Surf / Waterfall / Aqua Jet?), hopefully we can get some more interest in this with the next Pokemon (remember you can VM me with ideas!)

I'm voting for Lucina09 for utilising Dragonite's cool special movepool (and forgotten special attack stat)

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Did mertyville's Agility WP set not make the cut? Just curious - I'm voting cant say either way as it seems like a really neat way to create setup opportunities against Pokémon like Sableye and Rotom-Wash.

edit by the idiot: whoops missed that!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm putting my vote on can't say for taking advantage of Safeguard Dragonite. There's many status users in the metagame that'll pretty much do anything in taking advantage of a crippled Pokemon inflicting status moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Sleep Powder / Spore. Nice. ^^

Cant say's SG DDNite

Actually been trying this thing out on some teams and the virtually-no-status is amazing on top of dragonites ability to put offensive pressure in the enemies. I'm surprised to see a B+ tier mom be such a beast since I had a rather low expectation for dnite

Voting for cant say's Safeguard DDnite. Safeguard is an underused move and it works really well on setup pokes like Dragonite. Safeguard DDnite can be a beast against the right team as well, despite the loss of coverage.

Im voting for mertyville because i think this set works very good on a dragonite because of his typing will help activating weakness policy a lot of times, while his ability lets it survive the hits, and when you use agility and your opponent hits you with a super effective move that is actually TWO dragon dances in one turn!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Looks like I won! Thanks a lot guys ^_^ I really think Safeguard is a cool option in general, but Dragonite is an especially cool user since he's a status magnet as-is, and gives him another niche (aside from Extreme Speed) over other Dragon-types (I know the Lati's and Altaria can also use it... but they don't).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

OK, we've been on a roll with gen I Pokemon lately so I thought we'd continue with that and visit on of the start Pokemon; Venusaur! This guy was pretty popular back in XY both in it's mega and non-mega forme as either a tank or sweeper respectively, however the omnipresence of Talonflame, as well as other strong Flying-type move users such as Mega Pinsir forced it to drop out of usage. Do you guys have any cool ideas that may be able to resurrect it?

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Nature: Bold
- Growth
- Hidden Power Rock
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

I'm not too much of a fan of Venusaur despite being pretty good in X / Y Battle Spot. I really don't have much to say about Mega Venusaur, except for the fact that I'm glad this is entirely better with the bulk it received, as well as the Attack and Special Attack boost. I do say that Mega Venusaur does have a lot on its plate in dealing with Flying-types such as Talonflame. So lets get started on the set. This set pretty much utilizes Growth and the types of coverage that Mega Venusaur has in standing up against opponents. Growth really comes in handy, allowing for Mega Venusaur to hit harder. Though, I was thinking of using a Curse set, but it has no way of dealing with Flying-types. Hidden Power Rock can also be used because it has a hard time dealing with Flying-types such as Talonflame, Mega Salamence, Zapdos and Dragonite. It also hits Ice- and Fire-types as well such as Glalie and Rotom-H. Hidden Power Rock is pretty much one of the main moves it has to check Flying-types. Giga Drain is Mega Venusaur's STAB move, allowing it to deal with Water- and Ground-types such as Mega Slowbro, Suicune, Rotom-W, Hippodown, and Gastrodon. As for the last set, Sludge Bomb is another STAB move that allows for Mega Venusaur to deal with Fairy- and Grass-types such as Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Breloom. Also it has a chance to Poison the foe. Chlorophyll can use Ninetails and Mega Charizard Y for bait to gain extra Speed, but Thick Fat is much better, as it neutralizes both Fire- and Ice-type attacks. The EVs are used to increase Mega Venusaur's bulk and take physical and special attacks better. I decided to invest it more in Defense because there are many physical attackers in the metagame.

I will provide calcs later.

Lol sorry about that. I was planning on doing more of a mixed set in conjunction with Growth before I decided to turn it into a Special Growth set. At first I wanted to focus more on the aspect of not only dealing with not only Flying-types, but also Psychic and other types as well. It was something like Growth, Knock Off, Giga Drain, and being of your choice, Sludge Bomb, Earthquake, and Hidden Power Rock. The only thing of course is because I didn't enjoy the fact that you can only "try" and check so many Pokemon because either way, Mega Venusaur is going to have a problem with one type or the other. I'll explain the moves I had the first go. Knock Off was in place of Hidden Power Rock. Earthquake and Hidden Power Rock was an alternate move from Sludge Bomb.
  • Knock Off would be a nice interesting utility move for Mega Venusaur because it does check Psychic- and Ghost-types and get rid of items from item-reliant Pokemon such as Espeon, Cresselia, Gengar, Aegislash, Chansey, Ferrothorn, Suicune, and many other annoying Pokemon that have items that can delay a win for you. Many Pokemon don't appreciate their item to be removed anyway. Also, it does get a boost from Growth as well. So that is a plus.
  • Earthquake was to get rid of Steel-types because they pretty much wall Mega Venusaur and some can use it as a setup fodder. I would say Mega Mawile and Mega Lucario in particular would pose a problem to it. Also it can hit Fire-types for super effective damage as well.
The the only reason I changed it is because it had to be a set to deal with Flying-types. Other than that, there's really not much I can say about this plant lol.

Pokemon: Venusaur
Item: Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll > Thick Fat
EVs: 216 Atk / 116 SpA / 176
Nature: Mild
- Sleep Powder
- Power Whip / Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake / Knock Off

Venusaur. This set is basically standard Offensive Venusaur Set but the Mixed variant :P Sleep Powder is on this set cause putting things to sleep is useful most of the time :P Power Whip is used to hit things hard w/ STAB. It can OHKO most relevant water types in OU after Rocks, e.g Azumarill, Rotom-W, Keldeo, etc. Giga Drain can be used so that you can gain health back, which is good I guess. Sludge Bomb is there to hit Fairy Types, other Grass types and is generally a nice STAB Special Attack. Last slot can be filled by Earthquake to hit fire types, steel types, specifically Heatran which is an annoyance. You can use Knock off to hit Psychic Types harder and to get rid of a Choiced Mon's (or whatever item) item which can be incredibly useful. :]
This is hardly innovation but hey, I tried :P
kbai​

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis
- Petal Blizzard/Power Whip
- Earthquake

SD Synthesis. This is a pretty cool lure for steel types that normally wall venusaur, with SD you pick up ohkos on some steels you normally wouldnt. Heatran especially gets fucked up by this. This can be pretty cool as a stallbreaker as well. Because of Synthesis and an immunity to toxic it makes it harder for defensive teams to break it down, especially with SD boosts. The speed EVs are for outspeeding really defensive rotoms, for what that's worth.

Last edited:
With All the Good "Creative" sets Gone I tried my best to make something

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 120 SpD / 16 Spa
Calm Nature
- Block
- Growth
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain

This Is the only thing creative i could create that wasnt previously mentioned. I know its kind of a gimmick but I really don't care

With Venusaur Great defenses, great typing and its ability Thick Fat The trick is to block something that venusaur could take some hits from. You then go for sleep powder to give it some free set up time. You than Growth as much as your comfortable with. One your sp atks up Just run house with giga drain keeping you healthy and ready to fight.

For the ev spread I went for max health and split defenses to keep it able to take hits better to what ever it blocks with the 16 spa just for a little extra power

I have not done any calculations on this but in my defense i made this in a minute

because why not

Last edited:
This just an overall Mega Venusaur set for fun!

Venusaur-Mega (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 156 SpA
Rash Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The only pokemon that can truly stop you is Shedinja.
While making this set this can be used competitively.
It works well while under the sun.
Also the nature can also be quiet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)