ORAS OU (1st RMT) Mega Sceptile

Introduction
Hi. This is my first post in Smogon. I have had some success with this team winning about 70% of my matches. Any constructive criticism is welcome. I would like to know your opinions on my team and what I could do to improve my team. Also telling me any specific threats that I should be aware of.

Team Building Process

The team is centered around Mega Sceptile, so the first pick is Sceptile obviously

Heatran makes a good partner with Sceptile as they both counter each other's counters. Also a great counter to Talonflame, a very common Sceptile check

Scizor is a great poke to add as the rest of Sceptile and Heatran's counters not covered by each other were mostly Special Defensive, so Scizor help take out both of the two's counters. Scizor's only weakness fire, is covered by Heatran due to Flash Fire.

Clefable is great help for Sceptile and heatran, as clefable resist fighting and is immune to dragon(mostly for scarf dragon). Clefable also sets up rocks, to help take out talonflame,Tornados and Zard-X and break sashes.Clefable also has T-Wave to help slow pokes down and help Scizor set up if needed

It is always good to have a Spinner, and Starmie also gives great coverage.

Landorus is for Mega Metagross, Zard-X,Mega Diancie, Magnezone and more. It helps patch up the team

Team:

--------------------->

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball
- Giga Drain

The star of the team, Mega Sceptile! Mega Sceptile is a mid to late game sweeper. I do need to mega evolve it as fast as possible as the speed may be a problem later in a important time of the match. Dragon Pulse is there for STAB and nuetral Coverage.HP Fire is there for pesky Ferrothorns, Scizors and Serperiors giving me go coverage. I have Energy Ball for STAB and consistent damage as I prefer it more than Leaf Storm as if you use Leaf Storm you have to switch out next. I have Giga Drain as STAB as well but more for the recovery, if I'm able to KO a Poke with Giga Drain than I'll just use Giga Drain for some HP. The EV's are for Max SPA with a Timid Nature, 184 Speed for just enough speed to outspeed Mega Lopunny as well as another Mega Sceptile if they decide to put 176 Spe to outspeed mega Lopunny, the rest of the EV go to HP

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Def
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I decided to do a offensive set for Heatran, since it already has good defenses and is a great counter to Talonflame, and has amazing coverage.So I went with a offensive Heatran with Earth Power for opposing Heatran, STAB Fire Blast, Ancient Power for Talonflame,Tornados, and Zapdos, and lastly HP Ice for Landorus, Gliscor, Garchomp and Altaria. I have the Air Ballon for temporary ground immunity,although I may switch it for Choice Scarf for the speed. EV's are 248 for a odd number of HP to survive more Stealth Rocks, max SpA and Modest nature for max damage with the rest in to Def

Scizor ]Choice Band[/B]
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-Turn
- Pursuit

Scizor is great help to cover Heatran and Sceptile's leftover counters. I have Choice Band for max damage. Technician is a must for Scizor for much stronger bullet punchs.I went with Bullet Punch for STAB, priority and a great fairy killer, Superpower for fighting coverage and to stop Blissey, Chansey, and Porygon2 from walling my team, U-Turn for a pivet and STAB, and Pursuit for the Latis. EV's 252 Atk and adamant for max damage, 248 for odd number of HP to survive more Stealth Rocks and the reset on SpD
-orginally had bug bite and swords dance over u turn and pursuit, had life orb over choice band

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Fighting resist, dragon immunity, great stealth rocker and cripples pokes. Leftovers for more HP over time. Magic Guard to switch in if someone is about to get status with toxic or burn to absorb the status with no effect. Stealth Rock since it is a stealth rocker, Moonblast for STAB, T-Wave to cripple sweepers and wallbreakers, and Soft-Boiled for recovery. 252 HP, 160 Def, and 96 SpD to be more of a mixed tank
-orginally 252 HP and SpD but changed to current ev spread

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

My Spinner and gives me great coverage. Gave it analytic for more damage if i get outspeed. Rapid Spin as it is my spinner, Hydro Pump for STAB water, Psyschock for STAB psychic, and Ice Beam for Ice coverage. Gave it a Life orb for more damage. EVs are 252 Spe with Timid and 252 SpA to be as fast as possible and hit as hard as possible, the rest went into SpD
-orginally had assault vest over life orb and natural cure over analytic

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Superpower
- Stone Edge

The glue of the team. Helps take down to rest of the counters and has decent coverage. It helps out with Mega Metagross, Lati's and both Zards. Gave it a Scarf for the speed and this set is probably the best set at this time of the metagame. Earthquake for STAB,U-Turn for a pivot.Knock Off for coverage and to take items away from pokes. Stone Edge for coverage
-Orginally a diggersby wiith Ice Punch,Earthquake,Return, and knock off

Threats
Keldeo carrying STAB, HP Fire and Icy Wind destroy my team, super effective to 4 out of my 6 pokes
Charizard X

(If I made any mistakes my apologies I am new to these forums)

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hey, nice team! I'm gonna help you by mentioning some threats, and I'll give some options to help with those. Right now Sceptile is the only one that resists Ground, so Lando-T and Excadrill can spam Earthquake once Sceptile is gone, and they both usually outspeed Sceptile because of Choice Scarf or Sand Rush. Charizard-X can also sweep fairly easy after 1 Dragon Dance. To help with those threats, I recommend Lando-T > Diggersby. It gets rid of the same threats you mention, and Diggersby actually gets outsped and KO'd by those threats you mentioned. Scarfed Lando-T will be able to check other ground types, provide Intimidate to reduce the attack of threats such as Charizard X and Scizor. Lando-T gets great coverage with Stone Edge and Earthquake, also has Knock Off that hits really hard, and can provide momentum through U-turn.

I'm gonna suggest Leaf Storm > Energy Ball so you can 2HKO Unaware Clefable. Unaware means it ignores the drops from Leaf Storm, so you'll be able to spam it for a 2HKO. In most cases you'll have to switch out anyway since Sceptile gets walled by several threats like Mega Altaria.

I'm gonna suggest Choice Band > Life Orb, U-Turn > Bug Bite, and Pursuit > Swords Dance. You'll do more damage with Choice Band, gain momentum with U-turn, and you'll gain a Pursuit trapper, which is always handy for Latios and Latias. You also avoid taking LO damage, and Scizor will be very important since it's your best option to KO Mega Altaria.

I think changing your Evs to 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD will make Clefable a better mixed wall, as it'll help take physical attacks like Earthquake from Lando-T a lot better. It'll also help avoid being 1HKO'd by Choice Band Azumarill, and it'll be able to handle Mega Altaria better, even though it's still a 2HKO. The biggest difference is gonna be taking Psyshock from Latios, which would be a guaranteed 2HKO with no Defense EVs.

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 229-271 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 189-223 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 348-409 (88.3 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 285-336 (72.3 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 274-324 (69.5 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 226-267 (57.3 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 220-261 (55.8 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 181-214 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Since you have the offensive set on Starmie, I think you should run Analytic > Natural Cure. You'll do a lot more damage on switches, and status conditions won't hurt Starmie that much, since it's more likely to get KO'd. I also think you should run Life Orb > Assault Vest because even if you stay in to take a super effective hit from something like Raikou or Thundurus, you lack the power to KO them. With Life Orb and Analytic, you'll be able to do much more damage to threats that try to switch in. Doing more damage with Psyshock will also help against Mega Venusaur, which looks somewhat tough to KO for your team.

252 SpA Starmie Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 198-234 (66.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 257-304 (85.9 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO (will KO with Analytic on the switch)

252 SpA Starmie Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 139-165 (43.3 - 51.4%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 181-214 (56.3 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (72.8-85.8% with Analytic)

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Superpower
- Stone Edge

Or

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers (this set is known as the double dance set and lets Lando-T become a set up sweeper)
EVs: 56 HP / 220 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

That's it for now. Hope I helped ^_^

Hey, nice team! I'm gonna help you by mentioning some threats, and I'll give some options to help with those. Right now Sceptile is the only one that resists Ground, so Lando-T and Excadrill can spam Earthquake once Sceptile is gone, and they both usually outspeed Sceptile because of Choice Scarf or Sand Rush. Charizard-X can also sweep fairly easy after 1 Dragon Dance. To help with those threats, I recommend Lando-T > Diggersby. It gets rid of the same threats you mention, and Diggersby actually gets outsped and KO'd by those threats you mentioned. Scarfed Lando-T will be able to check other ground types, provide Intimidate to reduce the attack of threats such as Charizard X and Scizor. Lando-T gets great coverage with Stone Edge and Earthquake, also has Knock Off that hits really hard, and can provide momentum through U-turn.

I'm gonna suggest Leaf Storm > Energy Ball so you can 2HKO Unaware Clefable. Unaware means it ignores the drops from Leaf Storm, so you'll be able to spam it for a 2HKO. In most cases you'll have to switch out anyway since Sceptile gets walled by several threats like Mega Altaria.

I'm gonna suggest Choice Band > Life Orb, U-Turn > Bug Bite, and Pursuit > Swords Dance. You'll do more damage with Choice Band, gain momentum with U-turn, and you'll gain a Pursuit trapper, which is always handy for Latios and Latias. You also avoid taking LO damage, and Scizor will be very important since it's your best option to KO Mega Altaria.

I think changing your Evs to 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD will make Clefable a better mixed wall, as it'll help take physical attacks like Earthquake from Lando-T a lot better. It'll also help avoid being 1HKO'd by Choice Band Azumarill, and it'll be able to handle Mega Altaria better, even though it's still a 2HKO. The biggest difference is gonna be taking Psyshock from Latios, which would be a guaranteed 2HKO with no Defense EVs.

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 229-271 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 189-223 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 348-409 (88.3 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 285-336 (72.3 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 274-324 (69.5 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 226-267 (57.3 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 220-261 (55.8 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 181-214 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Since you have the offensive set on Starmie, I think you should run Analytic > Natural Cure. You'll do a lot more damage on switches, and status conditions won't hurt Starmie that much, since it's more likely to get KO'd. I also think you should run Life Orb > Assault Vest because even if you stay in to take a super effective hit from something like Raikou or Thundurus, you lack the power to KO them. With Life Orb and Analytic, you'll be able to do much more damage to threats that try to switch in. Doing more damage with Psyshock will also help against Mega Venusaur, which looks somewhat tough to KO for your team.

252 SpA Starmie Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 198-234 (66.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 257-304 (85.9 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO (will KO with Analytic on the switch)

252 SpA Starmie Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 139-165 (43.3 - 51.4%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 181-214 (56.3 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (72.8-85.8% with Analytic)

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Superpower
- Stone Edge

Or

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers (this set is known as the double dance set and lets Lando-T become a set up sweeper)
EVs: 56 HP / 220 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

That's it for now. Hope I helped ^_^
Thank you!!! I switched up the clefable, scizor, and starmie(I wasn't sure about analytic, when I made the team since starmie doesn't have the best bulk.) set but I still don't feel comfortable with the Leaf Storm over energy ball since i prefer consistent damage but ill try it out, I don't like using Lando but I'll try it out. I will keep the set of Sceptile and Diggersby for the rating for now
Dont do Lando-T its under suspect test and will most likely end up Ubers :(
Lando-I is being suspected not Lando-T but thank you for trying to help

Last edited:
Thank you!!! I switched up the clefable, scizor, and starmie(I wasn't sure about analytic, when I made the team since starmie doesn't have the best bulk.) set but I still don't feel comfortable with the Leaf Storm over energy ball since i prefer consistent damage but ill try it out, I don't like using Lando but I'll try it out. I will keep the set of Sceptile and Diggersby for the rating for now

Lando-I is being suspected not Lando-T but thank you for trying to help
Whoops, I am sorry for making a useless post without the information, I should be more careful next time.

Hey could you update your post in bold with the changes you've made? Right now a lot of stuff on it doesn't make sense. And Team Pokepals sniped me hard lol. There's nothing extremely abhorrent about your team except that The changes above (esp. Lando-T>Diggersby) would be really beneficial to you.

Hey could you update your post in bold with the changes you've made? Right now a lot of stuff on it doesn't make sense. And Team Pokepals sniped me hard lol. There's nothing extremely abhorrent about your team except that The changes above (esp. Lando-T>Diggersby) would be really beneficial to you.
My bad I forgot to change the descriptions, sorry about that. I have been trying out the lando over diggersby

EDIT:Thank you everyone for your help!!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)