The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kekkai Sensen's latest episode was really fun. The whole setting and tone actually kinda reminds me a bit of Durarara/Baccano, which isn't what I was expecting but I'm liking it.

if I'm starting fate do I watch zero -> UBW or UBW -> zero?

apparently UBW is supposed to come first but I've heard that you miss out on a lot of references by not seeing Fate/Zero first

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
if I'm starting fate do I watch zero -> UBW or UBW -> zero?

apparently UBW is supposed to come first but I've heard that you miss out on a lot of references by not seeing Fate/Zero first
Unfortunately there's no possible way to watch the shows without missing something, as they skipped Act 1 of FSN.

They certainly tried to do Zero->UBW, but I've seen copious points where people are confused by things that would have been set up in Act 1 and aren't, and really as far as characters and events go UBW (Act 2 of FSN) has VERY little to do with Zero. No character relevant in Zero matters in UBW. So it's pretty awkward. It's little things like these that keep me from calling UBW one of the best shows/adaptations of all time, whereas Zero on its own is amazing.

It'd be different if there was a proper Act 1, but as is I can't stress enough that people should be reading the Fate/Stay Night visual novel rather than watching anything first. Then watch Zero, and then UBW because it's still pretty good.

EDIT:
To really stress this, I'd compare it to The Hobbit movies. You know Peter Jackson could make a good Hobbit movie, cause he made The Lord of the Rings movies. But it'd have to be one movie. And for some baffling reason it wasn't. Doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend LOTR movies to people who haven't read the books, but they should probably read The Hobbit first cause some things are gonna get spoiled.

Likewise, FSN should have been three seasons. And you know it would have been perfect if it was. But it isn't. So read the book, then watch Fate/Zero.

Last edited:
The Fate/Zero anime DOES establish the rules of the game, and generally lets you know what you're in for. (sort of...) I'm pretty sure Ufotable are setting up the adaptation to be watched after Fate/Zero.

So, yeah, Fate/Zero and then UBW should be fine unless you really want to dig deeper, in which case there's the original FSN adaptation (which is actually Von's "Act 1").

EDIT: I'll add that going through the original FSNs might spoil the result of Fate/Zero. So there's that too.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
So, yeah, Fate/Zero and then UBW should be fine unless you really want to dig deeper, in which case there's the original FSN adaptation (which is actually Von's "Act 1").
It's not very good and it's the stitched up corpse of all three acts.

EDIT: I'll add that going through the original FSNs might spoil the result of Fate/Zero. So there's that too.
Who gives a shit? The first episode of F/Z spoils 3/4 major twists in FSN. And the original F/Z story was meant to be read after reading F/SN. Knowing the ultimate ending didn't make it any worse, but the heavy and brilliant use of foreshadowings and red herrings would be ruined for F/SN. You're trading the ending of the Sixth Sense for the ending of Die Hard. Not a fair trade. You're like one of those people who won't read the Game of Thrones books "for fear of spoiling the show". Get out.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Watch the Deen FSN and nothing else. It is the pinnacle of the fate universe, as it combines all of the aspects of it seamlessly into a beautiful package.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Watch the Deen FSN and nothing else. It is the pinnacle of the fate universe, as it combines all of the aspects of it seamlessly into a beautiful package.
It does have one of the best soundtracks ever. That only kind of makes it more depressing tbh, but it's worth listening to.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Guys OMG, idk how many of you know about this little gem but do check out this one called 'Baccano!'

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
^I guess that's a sarcastic parody. Is it /that/ popular? I really won't know. I kind of stumbled upon it accidentally going through anime randomly to find a new marathon watch. I've never really heard people bring it up or discuss it before.

Haha el psy congroo amirite?

Psh, steins;gate is completely outclassed by it's far superior prequel, chaos;head. It's so much deeper and more meaningful.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Baccano is accepted to be one of the best gangster-themed animes. A show that's airing this season, Kekkai Sensen, has a very Baccano-like feel to it.

Disclaimer: I have only seen 2 episodes of Kekkai Sensen and haven't seen Baccano before, I'm merely repeating what others have said.

spent the last week watching Shirobako off of the recommendation of a close friend and seeing it hyped up quite a bit on /r/anime (though there was very little discussion here while it was airing)

Shirobako is an anime about making anime and does SoL better than basically any other show I've seen so far; the other big ones I've seen are Shigatsu and Sakurasou (and I guess Nichijou / Gekkan Shoujo, if comedies count) but too often I find romcom SoL dramas to be weighed down by an unrealistic amount of melodrama and just... unrealistic situations in general

Shirobako, on the other hand, feels incredibly natural to the point where you never really lose immersion off of anything - plus the characters are incredibly well done, the plot is interesting, the animation is gorgeous, and the show is filled with references to anime pop culture. the last two episodes of the show make up one of the single most cathartic experiences I've ever had watching anime

the show is an easy 9.5/10 for me and that's just me being nitpicky about the OP/ED and one of the characters I didn't like

would highly recommend

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Yo, to everyone who is watching Danmachi, is it just me or is the show just really bad?

Danmachi is pretty much just SAO. On the other hand, the last episodes of Euphonium and oregairu were really good.
While I'm posting here, ~24 hours to DIO's World.

Shirobako is one of those great little shows that flew under the radar, glad to see more people enjoying it. Not enough anime about working life.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I'm sooooo freakingly addicted to Youkai Watch (anime) now.

I only started it yesterday because I saw a lot of kids playing the Youkai Watch toys in the shopping mall.
Heck, this thing is big!

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Sigh...

Well, once we saw the second ending this was pretty obvious.

But god damn motherfucking dolphins of disappointment. If you can't show sex on tv, then cut the fuck away. Absolutely ridiculous scene from start to finish. Every little bit of behavior between the two of them before and after the censorship suggests sex. It's actually as fucking bad as the Studio Deen version of the same scene.

But somehow even worse are the new scenes added with Saber, with "peasant" Saber. These do a piss fucking poor job of resolving Saber's character in the absence of the Fate story, but it's even worse because peasant Saber was not only a complete and absolute delusion of idiot Shirou's, but getting over said delusion is the major arc of Fate.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Got 5 Animebytes invites! PM me to get some, though you nigs have to seed, I don't want to get invitebanned because someone felt like getting 5 hit-and-runs.

For those who don't know, Animebytes is the best private anime torrent tracker out there, with probably the largest well-seeded collection of anime right now that are subbed.

EDIT: forgot to say you need to PM me your e-mail address

EDIT2: 3 invites left!

EDIT3: Only 2 invites left!

EDIT4: Only one invite left, grab it while it's still up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)