ORAS OU fabiohimself's stolen sharks and weird water stuff bulky offense

Sharks and Water Stuff

Hi everyone I'm fabiohimself and this is the first team I built in ORAS and my first RMT.

So basically I play just enough to see that my rating decayed a little between each game, but what I really like about pokeymans is the variety, and how some players actually manage to make stuff works. (sample of my teams page) So what I like to do is to go through RMTs and people's replays and try those teams for myself, often reverse-calcing EV spreads.

The team concept started with this post by AD Impish John who actually makes good teams in the good cores thread, and 2 posts after that Astroboy followed, so I had half a team already!

At this point I wasn't 100% sure on what set Sharpedo was going to use, I kept the mixed one because I'm more concerned about it being able to sweep late and didn't want to lose too much HP on random rocky helmet switchins.

So now I was at a step that the process of every cool team being built runs into aka a lack of fairy switchins. I took a look at the teams of people I was stalking and everyone had subbed Aegi for either Scizor or Bisharp. At first I wanted a defogger so Impish Scizor was my choice.

With my balanced core complete I needed a reliable win con, so I went with one of those boring pokes that are in literally every team. The coverage isn't even too redundant with M-Pedo and it sets up on all your hippos and slow stuff that trades hazards with dragalge and garchomp.
/

Here I just looked back at the team and saw that I had switchins for most anything and my only form of speed was BP from bulky scizor and Sharpedo after speed boosts, so I needed something fast with immediate physical power. I actually wanted to use band Relicanth for a moment but it's way too slow so I went for one of the new scarfed wallbreakers.

Added Thundurus because it stops a lot of threats dead in their tracks and greatly helps my EQ Altaria and Azumarill matchups since Dragalge tends to die early on.

The Team

@

Garchomp
/

Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
-----
We know what this guy does by now don't we? I was actually debating running endure to really jam it in on those mega-bunnies but I really don't have any move I want to get rid of. Toxic could be redundant with T-Spikes but I find that they serve different purposes and T-Spikes don't hit flying stuff and some good players with a toxic weakness will have a poison switch-in to absorb them. I could be running less speed but with all the fast Heatrans running around now I decided to keep the spread provided.
-----

@

Mega-Sharpedo
/

Ability: Speed Boost→Strong Jaw
EVs: 236 Atk / 92 SpA / 180 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Destiny Bond
-----
The post in the good cores thread advised EQ in the last slot but I have a Garchomp for that so I changed it to Destiny Bond to stop stuff that I allowed to set up. Hydro Pump could always be switched out but I like being able to hide it even though this thing is not touching mixed defense hippo or chomp. I found that teasing the mega once and actually mega evolving lategame is the best way to gain value out of it. I also played a bunch of M-Houndoom back in march so I'm not going to be psychologically crushed by using my mega as just fodder. Shit this could be a mega latias and the team would still work but I liked the idea of using the double shark combo.
-----

@

Dragalge
/

Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
-----
When this thing came out it looked like it was going to be the next big thing, but it's actually UU in usage. Apparently speed is a thing, I guess, but that could be used to our advantage. Only non-ferrothorn steels switch into this and that's what it has Toxic Spikes for. It's a shame because clicking specs draco and typing !dt switch-in in chat was always fun but we have to squeeze whatever versatility we can out of it I guess.
-----

@

Scizor
/

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Atk / 148 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit
-----
I enjoyed running 252+ def defog mega scizor on an old M-Latias team, but my mega was taken and I had a special weakness. I knew that I was baiting latis with my other stuff so pursuit would be good and I knew I wanted my steel type to be AV because I had Chomp and potentially Dragalge to take a fighting type attack. In the end it came down to whether I wanted a reliable knock off user or a reliable priority user. I had to go way back to find a decent spread for AV scizor, knowing that I was committing to not having any recovery but the calcs are pretty interesting:
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 148 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 234-276 (68.2 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
112+ Atk Scizor U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 272-324 (90.3 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 148 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 188-224 (54.8 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I could pump the SpD even higher but with U-Turn OHKOing Latios after rocks I actually really like this spread. Superpower over Knock Off for Steel types might be redundant.
-----

@

Keldeo-Resolute
/

Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
-----
No innovation here.
I needed a pokemon that would switch in and out and attempt to set up with 0 cost of opportunity since that's what the meta is about now and I already had plenty of anti-steel coverage (and ice weaknesses) so Lando-I was redundant and I went with this.
-----

@

Thundurus
/

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Psychic
-----
This thing revenge kills stuff and it punches through walls. Any fast wallbreaker will do honestly, I was just curious to try this thing out after the hype for it has died out.
-----

Closing Thoughts

I would like to thank AD Impish John and Astroboy for the core, TheBumbleBeeBoy who is actually in the process of making a tea, around the M-Sharpedo/Garchomp core himself and FalseHopes for the layout that I cloned.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 236 Atk / 92 SpA / 180 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Destiny Bond

Dragalge @ Draco Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Atk / 148 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast

EDIT: as suggested I switched out Tyrantrum for Thundurus, with Focus Blast over Psychic to help my Ferrothorn matchup

Last edited:
Team looks pretty weak to Fairy Types. Mostly Mixed Mega Altaria with Cotton Guard, Hyper Voice, Fire Blast and Earthquake (Which is rare)

Team looks pretty weak to Fairy Types. Mostly Mixed Mega Altaria with Cotton Guard, Hyper Voice, Fire Blast and Earthquake (Which is rare)
That's really rare and I haven't encountered it yet, but I assume I'd be playing against it with chip damage. However 252+ SpA Mega Altaria Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 148 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 316-376 (92.1 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO and who even runs fully invested modest M-Altaria. Tyrantrum revenges it clean too and Dragalge switches in on the fire blast and eats the hyper voice if it's even a bit bulky.

team's pretty weak to zard x at +1. Pretty much everything dies to an attack, and you would need to get off two protects w/ sharpedo to outspeed. I guess you could play around it with rocky helmet+rough skin switches, but still annoying though its rare. BD Azu definitely annoying as well, as it can set up on choice locked tyrantrum, and it can scare like 5 of 6 of your team out. also you would need to be at max health with sharpedo so it cant kill you with aqua jet and you can d bond. Idk what to change but gl w/ the team anyway. looks cool

No team really deals with both bulky and offensive Char X sets, but yeah residual damage is my main way to deal with it. I pretty much never click outrage vs teams with Azu since Rock sits in the same niche as Poison where offensively they hit literally everything that isn't a steel type. I also switched out Ice Fang for Thunder Fang to better deal with gyarados getting out of hand since I lost a game because Ice Fang did like 60% to a Thundurus.

Hey fabiohimself ,

Your team looks pretty interesting and fun to use. I want to suggest an unconventional T-tar-set to add to your team, which OHKO many leads in the meta and you still would be able to get up rocks reliable.
I stole the idea from Beastly Grant's team and I think it could work perfectly on your team.

• Stealth Rock: Straightforwardly basic, as we want the Rock up as much as possible to wear off the opponent team, especially Talonflame and the Flying fellas. It breaks some Sash, too.
  • Fire Blast: Surprise Kill #1 for Ferrothorn, Forretress, Skarmory, Scizor,... as people usually think of Tyranitar as set-up fodder for them (I hate Hazards, so I kill them fast). Reliably OHKO and sometime, if the roll is bad, 2HKO.
  • Ice Beam: Surprise Kill #2 for Garchomp, Gliscor, Landorus, Dragonite... and sometimes other Grass, Dragon, Flying or Ground like Hippodown, Latios, Tornadus-T, Thundurus, Zapdos... It can safely OHKO the former while strongly damage the latter, sometimes 2HKO. Again, people usually do not expect Ice Beam at all.
  • Earthquake: Surprise Kill #3 for Heatran, Diancie, Metagross and sometimes Charizard-X and deal considerable damage to others neutrally. Crunch might be a good Alternative due to STAB, kill off Lead Azelf, neutral damage to Rotom-W or Talonflame but I currently prefer Earthquake more, just that.
Reptar (Tyranitar) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

Hey fabiohimself ,

Your team looks pretty interesting and fun to use. I want to suggest an unconventional T-tar-set to add to your team, which OHKO many leads in the meta and you still would be able to get up rocks reliable.
I stole the idea from Beastly Grant's team and I think it could work perfectly on your team.

Reptar (Tyranitar) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
I love sash TTar but I don't feel like it does enough in this meta. So many of the leads it counters have just fallen out of favor: nobody leads ferro anymore, SpD/custap skarm are all the rage, the two Garchomp sets it counters (lum and sash) have something like 20% usage between them and Crunch has actually gained leverage. Metagross and Diancie would never stay in on it since the most popular TTar set is currently scarf, unless they're RP and got it off (and even then I need to be full HP with no rocks on my side, even though I have no hazard control).

It would also make my team even weaker to Azumarill and Lopunny, with the only upside of countering Landorus-I (who actually 6-0s me after a rock polish if it's running psychic). Now that I think about it Colbur CM bulky Latias would work there...

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Hi I'm AD impish john the creator of the Sharpedo and Garchomp Core, and thanks for the Shoutout and using my Core. I never thought people actually use my stuff, so I'm surprised. Anyway, after using this team I found myself having more luck with Victini over Tyrantrum as it is a wall breaker and I thought a Fire Type would be better, as of because having 3 dragon types puts a lot of pressure on Scizor and Keldeo taking Ice/Dragon Type Attacks, also Victini can hit Mega Venusaur which walls your team. I think Sharpedo should have Waterfall over Hydro Pump as you have Keldeo as a special water attacker, but I'll leave that to you. Also I would have Ice Fang over Destiny Bond to hit Mega Sceptile which seems to be a Threat to your team. I hoped I helped, and have a nice day ^_^

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn
- V-create
- Bolt Strike

I made Victini scarf since Tyrantrum was scarfed to outspeed and destory mons. U-Turn is to keep the momentum going or to scout teams. Zen Headbutt is to hit Mega Venusaur and is STAB. V-Create is the strongest move with 180 power also STAB, and Bolt Strike for coverage of water types.

Thanks for helping, I'll try the changes you suggested and report back. Victini seems like the best pokemon for the last slot since it deals with bulky waters better and has higher base speed than my other potential last slot Emboar. Dbond and Hydro Pump are totally ladder moves, I agree that a more skilled player would probably use those.

Hey, cool team! That concept looks promising.

I think Thundurus would make a good mon for your last slot. It helps with bulky Waters, checks Talonflame, stops set-up Sweeper with priority T-Wave and gives you a much needed Ground immunity.

You can run the standard Prankster Attacker Set with Psychic as the last move since M-Venusaur seems like a pretty annoying mon for you to face.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Psychic

Hope i helped :]

Have a nice day

so, is the Sharpedo set still going to stay the same, or will you make the changes that AD impish john recommended?
The current set works better, hydro allows me to chip tankchomp on the switch which otherwise is troublesome for me (too much residual damage) and dbond allows me to beat stall and everything that Keldeo and Dragalge won't kill, because sharpedo can very reliably hit +2 speed before mega.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)