ORAS UU Mega Ampharos Team

Hey y'all! So I decided to build a team around a pokemon Ive always been interested in using - Mega Ampharos!

ampharos-mega.gif

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]

So as I stated I wanted to build a mega amphy team and right off the bat I thought its typing was incredible. It walls Mega Pidgeot and also hits really hard. One huge flaw however with such a majestic beast is its horrible speed. So I wanted to run an Agility Ampharos. With its current EVs, its able to outspeed a large amount of the tier un-scarfed. It also has the HP investment as a bit more bulk to help back up its typing and its fairly usable bulk. 252 SpA evs so that it can hit things really really hard. As far as it moves, Thunderbolt and Dragon Pulse are pretty standard but I decided to run Hidden Power Ground. Unconventional I know but I only run it for Rotom-H switch ins which Ive had a lot lately and also they proved to be rather annoying for the rest of my team. So I wanted a quick solution to that micro-oven monster.

crobat.gif

Crobat
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 52 SpD / 208 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Acrobatics
- U-turn

I had been looking around for a great partner for Mega Ampharos and also a great pivot pokemon and one of the first pokemon to come to mind was Crobat. Great typing, speed, usable attack, and a pretty diverse move pool. Decided to run Inner Focus over Infiltrator so that Mienshao would have a false sense of security after thinking it was able to get away with free damage on my bat. Also decided not to run an item to allow a safe switch into knock off users and also to instantly have power with Acrobatics. I wanted to run a bulk set as crobat was meant to serve my team as a u-turn pivot and sponge attacks from the likes of Florges in particular. 52 SpD as I said so it can take some special attacks primarily from Florges. 208 Spe so its able to outside Life Orb Noveirn and allow it to taunt galvantula to prevent sticky web set up which would really hurt my team, particularly Mega Amphy as its slow enough as is.

alomomola.gif

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Knock Off

Looking at the first two members of my team, I quickly realized that Mamoswine eats my team for breakfest lunch and dinner which was terrifying. So I wanted to run a pretty reliable physical wall that can take hit for days (physical ones at least). After much consideration, I choose Alomomola. Regenerator Rocky Helmet to me sounds amazing to run. A painful wall that keeps healing after every switch - a great counter for physical life orb users and choice scarf/band pokemon that run recoil moves. Almomola makes life very difficult for those attacks and enjoys taking such hits and being able to Wish its hp back. It also is able to pass very big Wishes to my team that needs to switch in, which also benefits Almomola as its able to recover HP from switching out. EV spread makes it able to eat up anything (even Belly Drum Slurpuff Playroughs). Has knock off to help support rest of the team by knocking off opposing pokemon's item and scald as a stab attack that could potentially burn, helping make this wonderful fish's already great physical bulk even better.

porygon2.gif
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

If you thought seeing Alomomola was enough to make you stressed, heres the beloved Porygon2. This guy is a huge part of the team as its able to not only take hits from the likes of scarf Hydriegon, an otherwise huge problem for my team, it also spreads paralysis which is HUGE for this team especially for Ampharos and Florges (Ill get there inna bit). It also has great coverage with Ice beam and Thunderbolt as well as having Trace as its ability, allowing it to further check pokemon such as chandelures. EV spread allow it to become a fantastic special wall that provides para support.

florges.gif

Florges (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]

This might be the set I've had the most fun running EVER. Yes, a scarfed Florges. Not seen very often if at all. It may not be the fastest pokemon to have a scarf but surprisingly, its able to outspeed crobats and deal massive damage to them. Its a great pokemon that helps remove a lot of taunt users in the tier as well as further checking pokemon such as hydriegon. I run a modest nature over a timid nature as the modest nature gives it more punch, it didnt seem like running more speed would benefit as most people wouldn't see something like this coming at all. It runs moon blast for a powerful stab attack, Energy ball to hit Mega Swampert before Rain and mega evolving, psychic for Crobats and to be completely honest I don't remember why I had it running Hidden Power Ground but I'm sure there was some sort of logic behind it. Overall a very startling pokemon that often times catches people completely off guard and delivers powerful attacks.

krookodile.gif

Krookodile @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

As for the last pokemon on this team, I needed something that would break walls. Krookodile seemed to fit that void for me as it not only hits really hard but also has access to stealth rocks which can only help this team. I wanted to run Taunt so that I could have options for who to lead with and also as a potential late game taunter for the likes of set up sweepers such as Snorlax which has been the bane of my existence in the past. Also having a pokemon to intimidate was a bonus, making switching a bit easier.

Overall, I've had much success with this team, currently having a record of 12-2 with this team. Im open to any constructive opinions about this team. I will say however I feel this team could really use a phazing pokemon/hazard remover. Based on the two loses I've had so far it would seem that some set up sweepers are something that this team struggles with as well has hazard stacking which can really kill the momentum of the team and making switching difficult.

ampharos-mega.gif
crobat.gif
alomomola.gif
porygon2.gif
florges.gif
krookodile.gif
#Squad

Dad's Dad

Banned deucer.
Hey Curry_Noodles, this team has pretty good Pokemon but the sets are kinda suboptimal. On Ampharos you're running HP Ground for Rotom-H but there really isn't a point because Rotom-H can't do much back to you. Instead of HP Ground you could run Focus Blast to OHKO opposing Krookodile, Mamoswine, Cobalion, etc. Also, on Crobat you have enough speed to outspeed Noivern, but with a Careful nature you actually don't outspeed Noivern (Who typically runs Timid and isn't seen much anyway). A better spread to run is 248 HP/ 48 Sp.Def/212 Speed with a Jolly Nature if you still want to run a more specially defensive set. This outspeeds Adamant Feraligatr after a Dragon Dance boost as Feraligatr is a huge threat to this team. Furthermore, Scarf Florges is pretty bad not gonna lie lol, a better set for this team would probably be a Defensive Calm Mind Florges which helps your team deal with Fighting-Types better as your Crobat can be killed by coverage moves all Fighting-Types run and your Alomomola is already pressured to deal with threats like Entei and Mamoswine. This Florges set also helps pressure some Stall builds.

Florges Set If You Choose To Use It:

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Symbiosis
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind

1st off, cool team, and yea, scarfed Florges only really has a place for the surprise factor. The cleric calm mind set mentioned above can be a lot better. Florges' inherent bulk means it's able to sponge a few hits while setting up. I feel like your entire team hinges upon your crobat, and the increased pressure makes you switch in more, take SR, u-turn out, and take more damage. This is the only mon ok your team which really hates SR, but it's also the one you use the most, which isn't really a good thing. Alternatively, you could run Defog>Taunt on crobat as it basically does the exact same thing the way you use it. You can still get rid of sticky web (which you aren't effected by as a flying type) and don't really lose much else. Also, why not give this guy BraveBird+BlackSludge>Acrobatics. The extra power is really nice, and Lefties can make up the loss in health. Just an example of why you might want to run BB,
0 Atk Crobat Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 8 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 306-362 (94.7 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 8 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 336-396 (104 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I know this is kinda nit picky, but the extra damage really helps. You can then roost it up. You also have a chance to OKHO offensive whimsi, not that it exists. Also, you could try a few games with a more offensive Krook with Pursuit. I'm not sure what you could replace, but with taunt forcing switches, pursuit could rack up damage quickly. Knock off is extremely important though as it cripples porygon, chandy, darm, etc., and you need the power that EQ gives. Anyway, I'm on mobile so I'm out! Cool team, I would never want to face it.

Hi Curry_Noodles,

Great team. Excited to see someone using not only Mega Ampharos, who has been neglected recently, but also an Agility set at that. I like the Mold Breaker/HP Ground combo, but also feel like it is a bit unnecessary unfortunately as while Rotom-H can take Thunderbolts easily, he also can't really do too much back to MAmpharos, so I would use that coverage for something else. HP Grass is a very good option over Ground, IMO, because Swampert is far more common and can come in on MAmpharos and either set up rocks, EQ, etc.

I see that Cleric Florges was suggested above. This is a suggestion I definitely agree with, as Scarf is going to be a limitation way more often than a benefit. By switching to a Cleric set, you have little reason to fear Scarf Hydreigon, which you note in the OP. As you no longer have that set to worry about (sans a predicted Flash Cannon on the switch, I guess) I think you can change a few other things about your team. This suggestion is a bit more drastic than the HP type change, but I believe it would make your team a little bit more effective.

First, I would change the P2 wall to Bronzong. Bronzong has perfect type coverage with Mega Ampharos and has many options available to him. Most notably, you can move Stealth Rock onto Bronzong, allowing you to free that spot from Krookodile to be replaced with either Pursuit or Superpower. I recommend the latter as your team has a bit of a problem with Mega Abomasnow, particularly if rocks are up as Crobat becomes a much shakier check at that point. Superpower allows you to KO Abomasnow at a time when most would feel comfortable setting up.

The new sets would look as follows:

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Krookodile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Earthquake

or

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Light Screen
- Reflect

The former set is more general utility, while the latter allows you an extra chance to set up a crucial Agility with your MAmpharos.

Hi Curry_Noodles,

Great team. Excited to see someone using not only Mega Ampharos, who has been neglected recently, but also an Agility set at that. I like the Mold Breaker/HP Ground combo, but also feel like it is a bit unnecessary unfortunately as while Rotom-H can take Thunderbolts easily, he also can't really do too much back to MAmpharos, so I would use that coverage for something else. HP Grass is a very good option over Ground, IMO, because Swampert is far more common and can come in on MAmpharos and either set up rocks, EQ, etc.

I see that Cleric Florges was suggested above. This is a suggestion I definitely agree with, as Scarf is going to be a limitation way more often than a benefit. By switching to a Cleric set, you have little reason to fear Scarf Hydreigon, which you note in the OP. As you no longer have that set to worry about (sans a predicted Flash Cannon on the switch, I guess) I think you can change a few other things about your team. This suggestion is a bit more drastic than the HP type change, but I believe it would make your team a little bit more effective.

First, I would change the P2 wall to Bronzong. Bronzong has perfect type coverage with Mega Ampharos and has many options available to him. Most notably, you can move Stealth Rock onto Bronzong, allowing you to free that spot from Krookodile to be replaced with either Pursuit or Superpower. I recommend the latter as your team has a bit of a problem with Mega Abomasnow, particularly if rocks are up as Crobat becomes a much shakier check at that point. Superpower allows you to KO Abomasnow at a time when most would feel comfortable setting up.

The new sets would look as follows:

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Krookodile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Earthquake

or

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Light Screen
- Reflect

The former set is more general utility, while the latter allows you an extra chance to set up a crucial Agility with your MAmpharos.

Sorry about! Anyway I tried the new florges set, its works pretty good and I tried using Bronzong, ngl I really don't like using him. I feel like he just get beat down too quickly to use effectively. Also not running light clay on him really hurts set up especially with Roserade which I'm noticing really holds my team up outside of Crobat. I also feel like my team misses out on Crobat being a fast taunt user and with the changes i feel as thou krook has little to no use for this team outside of intimidate and knock off. I've considered running another water type or something that has access to toxic spikes as I feel that def helps with set up mons and forces either switch outs into spinners/defoggers but also puts a limit on set up sweepers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)