(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Okay, here's something that's gotten me. Correct me if they fixed this in the later games, but one thing that always annoyed me was how they insisted on giving you the catch-a-Pokemon tutorial...after you already had Poke Balls. By the time you encountered the tutorial, unless you've literally never seen a Pokemon game before, you've probably already bagged three or four. Would it kill them to give you the tutorial a little earlier and maybe add one extra line about how you could get Poke Balls at a Poke Mart (or Center/Mart in Unova/Kalos)?
I think usually you get the how-to before you can buy Poke Balls and get 5-10 of them after these days.

Okay, here's something that's gotten me. Correct me if they fixed this in the later games, but one thing that always annoyed me was how they insisted on giving you the catch-a-Pokemon tutorial...after you already had Poke Balls. By the time you encountered the tutorial, unless you've literally never seen a Pokemon game before, you've probably already bagged three or four. Would it kill them to give you the tutorial a little earlier and maybe add one extra line about how you could get Poke Balls at a Poke Mart (or Center/Mart in Unova/Kalos)?
Black and White did the tutorial before you can encounter wild Pokémon.

I wish Game Freak would implement something similar to FR/LG where the game asks you if that is your first time playing a Pokemon Game making you skip all the bullshit like "How to catch a Pokemon?" and also I miss the time when after losing you don't have to see your 'mons getting healed...that is just time consuming.

I wish Game Freak would implement something similar to FR/LG where the game asks you if that is your first time playing a Pokemon Game making you skip all the bullshit like "How to catch a Pokemon?" and also I miss the time when after losing you don't have to see your 'mons getting healed...that is just time consuming.
If my memory serves correctly, you can't skip the old man in Viridian in FireRed and LeafGreen.
To be honest, how often do you black out? The only time it happens to me is in Nuzlockes or I have really bad luck in the first battle of the game.

He's technically skippable if you know the game well enough. Alternatively, stop in the PokeMart anyway (to buy another potion or something) and you get handed Oak's Parcel. After returning to Viridian, just blow by him. He's only there to give you the catch tutorial and the Teachy TV.

He's also skippable (or can be delayed) in Gen 1: Old Man Glitch, remember?

As far as blacking out, I had a particularly rough one my first time in Platinum. I picked Chimchar--like an idiot, because Sinnoh, like Kanto and Hoenn, clearly hates Fire types. I ended up bagging a Psyduck (which gets Water Gun fairly early) and a Starly to use on my team. I get these three up to about 11 or so (and give Chimchar Rock Smash), used to the GB games where being underleveled is hardly a problem provided you have type and/or speed advantage. So I use Psyduck and sweep the gym all the way until Roark pulls out his Cranidos. Which is faster, has freaking Headbutt, and somehow survives a Water Gun. And of course there isn't a Normal resist to be found that early.

Did I mention the Psyduck had a perfect speed IV?

And they said the games were supposed to be easy. I learned my lesson and did a lot more grinding, but I cannot recall ever having to put in that much work for the first gym.

It's probably already discussed, but I find it annoying that you can't Sweet Scent in rain. I mean, I think I understand the logic behind it (the smell being dissipated by the rain and all), but it means that if I want to EV Train Pokémon, I have to do it elsewhere, where the encounter rates may not be as favourable. Take Special Attack training for example. There is only one place in OR/AS where every horde you encounter guarantees Special Attack EVs; this is Route 119, where Oddish has a 100% chance of appearing. However, almost all the time, this route is covered in rain, which means that I have to go elsewhere to train, such as in Route 112 where Numel hordes are only 65%, or Route 120 where Oddish hordes are only 60%. It takes a lot longer to EV train when this happens, even though I do get it done eventually.
Yeah, I have a strong feeling ANY Legendary traded over Wonder Trade is hacked. I hate being a pessimistic, but come on, who would trade away a genuine Legendary (let alone a Shiny one) unless its hacked or the person has decided to give up Pokemon and is giving away their Pokemon randomly.
I came across this one person who Wonder-Traded me a Zygarde, and when I contacted them to see if they made an accidental trade, they instead gave me a Level 100 Shiny Metagross and Chandelure, which both came from the Friend Safari (I'm not sure if this necessarily means they're legitimate though). I have an inkling that this person was preparing to restart their game for whatever purposes, and just wanted the more 'important' of their Pokémon to go to a good home and not be left to waste.

It's probably already discussed, but I find it annoying that you can't Sweet Scent in rain. I mean, I think I understand the logic behind it (the smell being dissipated by the rain and all), but it means that if I want to EV Train Pokémon, I have to do it elsewhere, where the encounter rates may not be as favourable. Take Special Attack training for example. There is only one place in OR/AS where every horde you encounter guarantees Special Attack EVs; this is Route 119, where Oddish has a 100% chance of appearing. However, almost all the time, this route is covered in rain, which means that I have to go elsewhere to train, such as in Route 112 where Numel hordes are only 65%, or Route 120 where Oddish hordes are only 60%. It takes a lot longer to EV train when this happens, even though I do get it done eventually.
Um, Sweet Scent works in Rain in ORAS fyi.

Um, Sweet Scent works in Rain in ORAS fyi.
Really?! I swear that I tried to use it and it said that it failed or something.

EDIT: Well, it turns out I've been a right idiot. I'm not sure what happened, but because of the angle of Route 119, I might have thought I was standing in a patch of grass when I didn't, which may explain why the horde didn't activate. Please ignore my rambling then, it's good to see GameFreak picked up on this small issue.

The fact that the status screen (HP, Atk, Def, SAtk, SDef, Speed) doesn't actually update the numbers during a battle, if you boost or get Intimidated or Icy Winded or something, has annoyed me for generations.

Imagine how easy it would be to soft reset with an Imposter Ditto, if this was the case. Yeah...
I admit I guess I could understand in cases like Drops from moves or abilities, but since Ditto outright becomes the mon in question, I do wish they'd adjust his stats as well at least.

The fact that the status screen (HP, Atk, Def, SAtk, SDef, Speed) doesn't actually update the numbers during a battle, if you boost or get Intimidated or Icy Winded or something, has annoyed me for generations.

Imagine how easy it would be to soft reset with an Imposter Ditto, if this was the case. Yeah...
Why limit it to just in battle? Could be handy to know what the Attack, Special Attack, or Speed is with the respective Choice item held. (or Iron Ball/Macho Brace/Power item other than herb for the latter for getting just the right Speed for soft resetting purposes)

So you know how in XY, you could rematch gym leaders in the battle chateau?
I just found out that at the highest possible level, Korrina's Lucario has Heal Pulse.
In a singles battle.
I N C R E D I B L E
Obviously she's being super predictive, and assume you're gonna bring in a HA Espeon or Mega Absol.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So you know how in XY, you could rematch gym leaders in the battle chateau?
I just found out that at the highest possible level, Korrina's Lucario has Heal Pulse.
In a singles battle.
I N C R E D I B L E
90% of "Rematches" in Gen 6 have awful move pools/ability combos. Phoebe gets shafted completely (two special Banettes). I liked the rematch mechanics in Gen 5 (And Challenge Mode), because it seemed like they actually thought about what moves the Pokemon should have and what items they should use. Now they just seem to have gone back to almost level up movesets in some instances (which are usually bad).

Why limit it to just in battle? Could be handy to know what the Attack, Special Attack, or Speed is with the respective Choice item held. (or Iron Ball/Macho Brace/Power item other than herb for the latter for getting just the right Speed for soft resetting purposes)
Is it really that hard to do 50%/100% in your head? I can kinda understand going down in 2/3 increments being harder to work out, but even then it's not all that complicated.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is it really that hard to do 50%/100% in your head? I can kinda understand going down in 2/3 increments being harder to work out, but even then it's not all that complicated.
I always find it stressful, especially since you have to keep track of how many boosts there are, the 60 second timer you're given to select your move, and trying to think of what to do for your turn. It'd just be more convenient to tell us how many boosts we have (and the opponent while we're at it).

Tbh, it really isn't hard. Just that players who have a short term memory (like me) sometimes forget what stats have been boosted and how many stages has it boosted. Also, it makes Soft Resetting easier and faster since we can just have Impostor Ditto to check IVs for everything except HP.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
LOL if we're talking about NPC's terrible movesets, check out ORAS Maxie 2's Camerupt. Just like all the other NPC pokemon, it's just the last 4 level-up moves the pokemon learns (which is GF just being lazy as usual).

As for boosts, the only time I need to keep track of them is when using/facing Moody. Otherwise it's not that hard to keep track of your buffs and debuffs, and the only time actual numbers become important is with speed anyway. The rest is "oh, I do double damage/take half damage at +2". Not that hard. Ditto would've been nice for soft-resetting though.

Oh, there are still those baby Pokemon that need centain items to be breed limiting you on using both Destiny Knot and Ever Stone.

I hope at least next Generation, Game Freak is going to remove that mechanic because whats the point if you can still catch baby Chansey (fuck that thing) in the wild anyways?

It is more annoying to breed it in case you can't to have centain moves like with Wynaut. And yes, I don't really care about having 5 IVs on that thing, but I still care about having the right 4*31 IVs on HP, SpD, Def and Spe.

I just remembered something from when I first caught Xerneas. At first, I was like "OH YES I GOT THE AWESOME DEER THING!" but then I decided I wanted to do Pokemon Amie with it. Something similar to this happened.

Its head is on the top screen. The part you need to feed it poffins pokepuffs and do just about everything. Why did they do this? Yeah, Xerneas is big. But can't you just make it so we can actually feed our legendary deer? I was just staring, trying to figure out how to feed it. Do I throw them up in the air? Do I feed it through the chest? Amie is weird with size. And with Pokemon with no mouth. Unless Xerneas has no mouth...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I just remembered something from when I first caught Xerneas. At first, I was like "OH YES I GOT THE AWESOME DEER THING!" but then I decided I wanted to do Pokemon Amie with it. Something similar to this happened.

Its head is on the top screen. The part you need to feed it poffins pokepuffs and do just about everything. Why did they do this? Yeah, Xerneas is big. But can't you just make it so we can actually feed our legendary deer? I was just staring, trying to figure out how to feed it. Do I throw them up in the air? Do I feed it through the chest? Amie is weird with size. And with Pokemon with no mouth. Unless Xerneas has no mouth...
Drag the Poke Puff to the top screen and the bottom screen will scroll up to the Pokemon's head (leaving the top screen with only sky). Several large Pokemon do that. Admittedly they could have told you that the first time you played with a big Pokemon, but eventually you'd figure it out through experimentation.

Drag the Poke Puff to the top screen and the bottom screen will scroll up to the Pokemon's head (leaving the top screen with only sky). Several large Pokemon do that. Admittedly they could have told you that the first time you played with a big Pokemon, but eventually you'd figure it out through experimentation.
You have to do that to reach preferred places to be pet on some large Pokemon too IIRC, as well as places they'd prefer you not to touch like the patch over the crack on Golurk's chest. (I believe Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde don't have mouths but can still somehow eat)

But why oh why does that face game suck so bad at actually recognizing your own damn face? I got it to work, like, once, and even then I didn't get very far before the Pokemon looked disappointed because I couldn't get it to recognize me doing the same damn face it was asking me to make.

Tbh, it really isn't hard. Just that players who have a short term memory (like me) sometimes forget what stats have been boosted and how many stages has it boosted. Also, it makes Soft Resetting easier and faster since we can just have Impostor Ditto to check IVs for everything except HP.
I wouldn't mind something like Showdown has. That would be useful.

Actually, this leads me into something that really annoys me that was done correctly in previous generations:
Not being able to see how many Pokémon there are when I'm switching Pokémon after I get knocked out. Why? Why can't that information be there at all times?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
re: keeping track of boosts

I wouldn't mind something like Showdown has. That would be useful.
I came here pretty much to say that the need for this comes from us being used to Showdown! spoiling us. Like DragonWhale said, it really isn't that hard to keep track of. Speed is an exception to this, but even still, your Pokemon has a set speed stat, and it will always be the same number when lowered/raised by stages. It's not like you have to figure it out every time, if you want to know then just memorise it :/

re: keeping track of boosts

I came here pretty much to say that the need for this comes from us being used to Showdown! spoiling us. Like DragonWhale said, it really isn't that hard to keep track of. Speed is an exception to this, but even still, your Pokemon has a set speed stat, and it will always be the same number when lowered/raised by stages. It's not like you have to figure it out every time, if you want to know then just memorise it :/
I'm not saying this as being spoiled by Showdown. It's more of a convenience that I don't have to memorize if I have +2 on a stat vs +3, even if I have to do something like hold a button on a screen like with finding out the BP, accuracy, and effects of a move in the fight screen by holding L and picking a move. Like if we were to hold R and the stats pop up along with +/- next to it. It's not the final number I really want (though that would also be nice), it's the stages. This way I don't accidentally waste a turn trying to use Calm Mind or Swords Dance when I don't have to. A similar case with hazards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)