Ladder Anything Goes

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Congrats on the ag tour win m9
also this: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-221815676
just gotta keep this thread alive.
Celebrate OP plz ban

Seriously though, a brief analysis of the metagame from a new player is that it is VERY switch-heavy and stally. Once you get past the people using teams of their six favourite 'mons, it is actually the most well-balanced metagame yet regarding skill being the main factor towards victory. While there is a lot of bullshit regarding Klefki, the main thing that I am noticing is that it is usually the one who can play around the opponent the best that will win, and - unlike the "tiers" - getting haxed very rarely actually results in you being screwed over due to the way that everything is used.

Since there's not much discussion going on here, I'll try and start something.

What set do you run on your Groudon (if you use it)? E.g: some people use Rock Polish, Swords Dance. Others use roar/dragon tail. Some people use Stone Edge, others use Dragon Claw. Precipice or EQ?

Discuss.
With my P-don I like to use a set that not many people use. I enjoy the buff of Rock Polish, but swords dance makes it far too open to Yveltal Foul Play. I then run Earthquake, just for more accuracy than Precipice Blades. Here is where the plot twist happens. Most people expect a general Pdon moveset, so no-one will switch in to my advantage if I do use that. So, I have modded my moveset with Iron Tail, for the numerous fairy mons, and Hammer Arm, for the alarmingly common number of Arceus-Normal in the AG meta.

With my P-don I like to use a set that not many people use. I enjoy the buff of Rock Polish, but swords dance makes it far too open to Yveltal Foul Play. I then run Earthquake, just for more accuracy than Precipice Blades. Here is where the plot twist happens. Most people expect a general Pdon moveset, so no-one will switch in to my advantage if I do use that. So, I have modded my moveset with Iron Tail, for the numerous fairy mons, and Hammer Arm, for the alarmingly common number of Arceus-Normal in the AG meta.
The problem that I see with a set like that is Hammer Arm is a 2HKO on Arceus-normal, but both Fire Punch and Precipice Blades are still a 2HKO and don't drop your speed or take up an unnecessary moveslot. The same problem exists with Iron Tail, as it 2HKOs Arceus-Fairy and Xerneas but Groudon-P's STABs do as well and are more reliable than Iron Tail's terrible accuracy and mediocre coverage. I personally like using the set Rock Polish, Precipice Blades/EQ, Fire Punch, Stone Edge/SD, since I find that after a single Rock Polish you can rip apart a lot of teams.

The problem that I see with a set like that is Hammer Arm is a 2HKO on Arceus-normal, but both Fire Punch and Precipice Blades are still a 2HKO and don't drop your speed or take up an unnecessary moveslot. The same problem exists with Iron Tail, as it 2HKOs Arceus-Fairy and Xerneas but Groudon-P's STABs do as well and are more reliable than Iron Tail's terrible accuracy and mediocre coverage. I personally like using the set Rock Polish, Precipice Blades/EQ, Fire Punch, Stone Edge/SD, since I find that after a single Rock Polish you can rip apart a lot of teams.
I had never realised the pre-existing 2HKO on Arc-Normal with EQ or Fire Punch, thanks for pointing that out. In my personal opinion, Primal Groudon isn't a lot of fun to play with, because of the simple fact that it can't blend into different roles well, it can only really use a very limited moveset and the only strategy behind it is for a bulky sweeper. For this reason, I much rather playing with Kyogre, both Primal and non-Primal.

mega rayquaza isnt even good in ag, considering it's very prone to swagplay
lol i know you posted long ago, but mega ray can still beat klefki if it runs eq and lum berry. EQ in particular is standard fare for Mega Ray.
moar edits: uh, no one replied to your post, so i decided I would. also, Sableye, support Arceus, uh maybe Ho-Oh. pls klefki isn't the only status inducer.

Last edited:
I'd be against the hour time limit if it was to extend to any other tier but AG. Stall is a very valid playstyle that can sometimes take an hour or more to be effective, but it is aiming to win the game at the very least.
If Leppa Berry was banned only when used alongside Heal Pulse, Pain Split, Fling, Grassy Terrain and Trick, it would stop endless battles AND close the double Goth loophole that currently exists, while allowing "legitimate" uses for it, and no timer would be needed.

The above moves are what turn your garden variety PP stalling into Funbro. Recycle is innocent!

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
omfg pls, the post is literally 5 months old and the only reason you'd even be running lum in ag is because of key...
Do we play the same meta? I play Anything Goes, a metagame where Darkrai's Dark Void is on every second team. Will-o-wisp is common and paralysis is lethal. You can OHKO a Darkrai with adamant mega ray if you don't fall asleep. There are a lot more reasons of which I am not bothered to explain. I got to first place with lum mega ray so it must not be viable (It won me so many games).

Alright, there's not much discussion going on here, so let's get something going.

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability:Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Bolt Strike
-Dragon Claw
-Steel Wing
-Giga Impact

One of the most viable Lugia counters in the entire AG meta. One of the quickest all-purpose revenge killers and sweepers. One of the hardest-hitting physical Pokemon in the entire meta. Capable of smashing annoying trolls like Magnemite. However, this is perhaps one of the least seen mons in the entire meta! Discuss.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Alright, there's not much discussion going on here, so let's get something going.

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
-Bolt Strike
-Dragon Claw
-Steel Wing
-Giga Impact

One of the most viable Lugia counters in the entire AG meta. One of the quickest all-purpose revenge killers and sweepers. One of the hardest-hitting physical Pokemon in the entire meta. Capable of smashing annoying trolls like Magnemite. However, this is perhaps one of the least seen mons in the entire meta! Discuss.
Why would you run Steel Wing and Giga Impact, they are literally horrible, what do they even hit? I'd rather run Volt Switch for momentum and Sleep Talk for Darkrai, as it can then switch in on Darkrai and (kinda, immune to TWave) Klefki somewhat safely, 2 of the biggest threats in AG. Also, 4 HP is bad, it makes you take more damage from entry hazards and passive damage like weather and status.

Why would you run Steel Wing and Giga Impact, they are literally horrible, what do they even hit? I'd rather run Volt Switch for momentum and Sleep Talk for Darkrai, as it can then switch in on Darkrai and (kinda, immune to TWave) Klefki somewhat safely, 2 of the biggest threats in AG. Also, 4 HP is bad, it makes you take more damage from entry hazards and passive damage like weather and status.
Very good points, I suppose that that moveset is reasonably flawed. On the teams I usually run, I have a lot of talkers, but on other teams Sleep talk would be a treat. Also, I suppose Volt Switch is better than Steel Wing, as Zekrom wouldn't be switching into any Xerns. Still though, I don't follow why nobody uses any sort of Zekrom whatsoever. Does this go for everyone, or is it just because of the ladder region I'm stuck on?

Steel Wing is far weaker than Bolt Strike against Xerneas lol. Zekrom does have a niche in ignoring Multiscale but it's just that there's typically better Pokemon to be running in this format, especially with the lack of species clause. As a general rule, I'd also recommend never using Giga Impact or its variants on anything outside of 1v1 or generation 1 formats. They're terrible moves.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
-Bolt Strike
-Dragon Claw
-Steel Wing
-Giga Impact

Should be adamant due to 279x1.5 being enough speed to outspeed anything important except for like DeoA iirc, an uninvested speed ray after a dragon dance or other scarf mons.

As others have stated steel wing and giga Impact are eww. But I would also like to bring up maybe using haze since zekrom learns it. Idk. Probably useless but probably better than steel wing :P

steel wing is ew, yeah. Bolt Strike even does enough to OHKO Mega Diancie.
252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 238-282 (98.7 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
and of course, giga impact doesn't hit anything relevant. at all.
edit: apparently the only thing steel wing can hit harder than zekrom's stabs is... whimsicott. Yeah, it's sort of half-viable, but it's not like it's common enough to sacrifice a moveslot for.

Last edited:

Chloe

NUPL Champion
Scarf haze could be used to remove some moody stats I guess. Rarely practical.
Yea, true. I guess that move could save a lot of teams from baton passing opponents with ingrain and other shenanigans. Espeon walls most methods of stopping BP teams, but haze is a completely different story. There's not much to say here otherwise.

Also on a separate point, I've been testing something I would usually call unviable. I came up with it myself, so if this has been used before, my apologies.

Vendetta (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Final Gambit
- Blue Flare
- Hyper Beam
- Psychic

The EVs are designed to allow for full final gambit power, while out-speeding the whole tier except for priority and idiots running attacks on their deo-speed or ninjask (maybe not as idiotic on ninjask). I only really use final gambit but it can also act as a fire type which is something every AG team needs imo. It is great as a lead as it takes out their rock setter or whatever. If they have a deo-a, I wouldn't run as a lead because of the sash.

So far, my opinion is this; Having an Aron is probably a better option. It is terrible and requires a hard switch, it gets completely walled by hazards which is why i prefer to run as a lead. It can take out the majority of the meta, which is fine. But usually when one says this, they intend to keep their own pokemon alive.

I am not saying this is viable. So please don't have a go at me for this. I was just testing.

Here's a match that went well: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-244019800
However the opponent wasn't that great either.

What's your opinion?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hyper Beam is just as worthless as Giga Impact unless you really like that sound effect (which to be fair is God-tier, but I digress).

nice, but weird set. Blue Flare doesn't do a ton of damage and Final Gambit does not need max hp to dent anything not named Blissey. Psychic is a little... weird too. It's secondary STAB, but it doesn't have very good coverage alongside fire.

Yea, true. I guess that move could save a lot of teams from baton passing opponents with ingrain and other shenanigans. Espeon walls most methods of stopping BP teams, but haze is a completely different story. There's not much to say here otherwise.

Also on a separate point, I've been testing something I would usually call unviable. I came up with it myself, so if this has been used before, my apologies.

Vendetta (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Final Gambit
- Blue Flare
- Hyper Beam
- Psychic

The EVs are designed to allow for full final gambit power, while out-speeding the whole tier except for priority and idiots running attacks on their deo-speed or ninjask (maybe not as idiotic on ninjask). I only really use final gambit but it can also act as a fire type which is something every AG team needs imo. It is great as a lead as it takes out their rock setter or whatever. If they have a deo-a, I wouldn't run as a lead because of the sash.

So far, my opinion is this; Having an Aron is probably a better option. It is terrible and requires a hard switch, it gets completely walled by hazards which is why i prefer to run as a lead. It can take out the majority of the meta, which is fine. But usually when one says this, they intend to keep their own pokemon alive.

I am not saying this is viable. So please don't have a go at me for this. I was just testing.

Here's a match that went well: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-244019800
However the opponent wasn't that great either.

What's your opinion?
Well, this is a set with pros and cons to it. A lot of hazard setters would fare poorly against this, cutting HP massively. However, leads are usually set up to be suicide, so this wouldn't actually damage an opponent's strats too badly. I think that this would actually fare better as a mid-game trader, trading with an awesome enemy sweeper, like Zekrom.

Chloe

NUPL Champion
Hyper Beam is just as worthless as Giga Impact unless you really like that sound effect (which to be fair is God-tier, but I digress).
Just as a finishing blow, I really do not use at all. I have my sounds turned off.

nice, but weird set. Blue Flare doesn't do a ton of damage and Final Gambit does not need max hp to dent anything not named Blissey. Psychic is a little... weird too. It's secondary STAB, but it doesn't have very good coverage alongside fire.
Why would I use that against a Blissey? That's as dumb as steel wing Zekrom. Psychic is perfect for the team I was using it on because it OHKO'd Mega Gengar and I couldn't do that with anything else.

Well, this is a set with pros and cons to it. A lot of hazard setters would fare poorly against this, cutting HP massively. However, leads are usually set up to be suicide, so this wouldn't actually damage an opponent's strats too badly. I think that this would actually fare better as a mid-game trader, trading with an awesome enemy sweeper, like Zekrom.
Eww, Zekrom. :P Nah, I agree that sounds reasonable.

Just as a finishing blow, I really do not use at all. I have my sounds turned off.

Why would I use that against a Blissey? That's as dumb as steel wing Zekrom. Psychic is perfect for the team I was using it on because it OHKO'd Mega Gengar and I couldn't do that with anything else.

Eww, Zekrom. :P Nah, I agree that sounds reasonable.
I was not saying that you would use that against Blissey, I was just saying that Final Gambit does a lot to almost any Pokemon anyway.

Stradegy / Team Composition Discovered By Me (March 2015)
Hello Ive been experimenting with teams for Anything Goes and finally came up with an OP team after discovering the move in a random battle ;

Here is the Teams and movesets:

Victini @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- V-create

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- V-create

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- V-create

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- V-create

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- V-create

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Mewtwonite Y
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Psystrike
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Breakdown;

Final Gambit Is A Extreme Move Where The Users Poke Does Damage Equal To His HP To His Enemy.

So, Since The Pokemons That Can Learn This Is Limited I Used The Best HP / Speed Pokemon Availible For This (Victini) .

By Maxing Victini's HP It Does 404 Damage (W/ Final Gambit) When Going First

By Maxing Speed AND Giving It Choice Scarf (1.5x Speed), Victini Goes First Everytime (Most Of)
[Only Time My Victinis Didnt Go First Was When Opponent Uses Maxed Deoxys Speed/Priority Attacks]

Basically This Stradedgy Narrows Down The Playing Field To a 1v1 Battle In Under 10 Turns (If 100$ Successful)

What Other Pokemon To Use In The 1vs1 Later on Then The Best SpA Pokemon, Mew Two Mega - Y, It is best to max its SpA and defense to make it last longer and taking more shots.

How To Beat This Strategy:

Currently The Only Way Ive Lost With This Strategy Is;

-Opponent Uses A Faster Pokemon To Attack First (Deoxys Speed so Far For Me) Causing Victini to Lose HP and not making a 1 Hit KO

-Opponent Uses Substitute, causing substitute to fade and victini to die

My Record with this stradegy:

39-4

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-243768224

Chloe

NUPL Champion
I'd prefer to run dazzling gleam > hyper beam personally. It offers a wider range of coverage, and I can't think of a reasonable situation you'd ever use hyper beam lol.
It's honestly a joke set, but yea dazzling gleam would be a better option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)