3v3 Singles Metagame Discussion Thread [The Pentagon is back!!]

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Paging DragonWhale to do his thing

Aerilate Hyper Beam is so good, you can use it as a "I'm about to die take this" type thing, or finish the opponents last mon. I've been looking at damage calcs and it hits a lot harder than Hyper Voice or Draco Meteor, it notably gives a 75% chance to OHKO Mega Kang...

Reactions: PKQ

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
H = HP
A = Atk
B = Defense
C = Sp Atk
D = Sp Def
S = Speed

Gengar: HP/Speed, Timid
Aegislash: Special Attack/Speed, Rash
Conkeldurr: Says something about running enough Speed to outrun Aegislash. Probably ~207 HP. Not sure on this one. Adamant
Salamence: Sp Atk/Speed, Modest
Rotom-H: 252 HP / 84 SpA / 156 SpD / 12 Spe, Calm
Ferrothorn: HP/Def, Relaxed

H = HP
A = Atk
B = Defense
C = Sp Atk
D = Sp Def
S = Speed

Gengar: HP/Speed, Timid
Aegislash: Special Attack/Speed, Rash
Conkeldurr: Says something about running enough Speed to outrun Aegislash. Probably ~207 HP. Not sure on this one. Adamant
Salamence: Sp Atk/Speed, Modest
Rotom-H: 252 HP / 84 SpA / 156 SpD / 12 Spe, Calm
Ferrothorn: HP/Def, Relaxed
Thank you for translating that. I was going crazy when I went on the website.

Thank you for the site Jibaku.
I've been rather surprised by how common dragonite is ever since I started playing battlespot.

I've been using Mega Lucario/Hippowdon/Dragonite core quite a bit on the battle spot and it's been doing well. Has anyone tried this core?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been using Mega Lucario/Hippowdon/Dragonite core quite a bit on the battle spot and it's been doing well. Has anyone tried this core?
Mega Lucario/Hippowdon core has been a big core for a very long time now, although this is the first I've heard of adding Dragonite to it. The type synergy and bulk of Dragonite definitely helps, although losing Multiscale from Sand Stream can be a bother. How do you usually play with this core? Dragon Dance set?

I usually go with C
Mega Lucario/Hippowdon core has been a big core for a very long time now, although this is the first I've heard of adding Dragonite to it. The type synergy and bulk of Dragonite definitely helps, although losing Multiscale from Sand Stream can be a bother. How do you usually play with this core? Dragon Dance set?
It's just a core that I really like. My favorite would have to be the bnb hippowdon+special luke+cb nite. I've tried dd nite to situationally use it as a finisher or a sweeper that comes in before mega lucario. but i just didn't like it much. i like to usually use dnite as the finisher. still, i really liked ddnite@lum + physical lucario combo as well. i'm thinking about the ddnite@lum with safeguard that was posted by can't say to see how that works also.

In your core, do you Sand Stream hippo or do you find Sand Force to be more advantageous? By the way, what's bnb?

I use sand stream and I've never used sand force to be honest. Have you? How is it if you have?
As for BnB it stands for bread 'n butter.

I've been roaming around a Korean forums and I've heard that dragonite is a very common/top-tier pokemon in the upper ratings. Is this true? Also, I still don't quite see the merit behind the hippowdon/mega lucario/dragonite core, which I've also seen people mention in the Korean forums. Wouldn't the sand negate dragonite's most powerful perks? multiscale.

edit: what items do you use on dragonite and such?

Last edited:
hippowdon@leftoevers
- yawn
- stealth rock
-whirlwind
- rock tomb

special mega lucario
- you know the moves...it's a standard

dragonite@life orb
- dd
- outrage
- earthquake
- extremespeed

dragonite comes in when it can to se up multiscale well. it's actually not as hard as it seems and since battle spot singles, i find appropriately using multiscale isn't very hard.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
I've been roaming around a Korean forums and I've heard that dragonite is a very common/top-tier pokemon in the upper ratings. Is this true? Also, I still don't quite see the merit behind the hippowdon/mega lucario/dragonite core, which I've also seen people mention in the Korean forums. Wouldn't the sand negate dragonite's most powerful perks? multiscale.

edit: what items do you use on dragonite and such?
I feel that this post of mine accurately describes Dragonite's niche in Battle Spot Singles (note: my rating isn't really high per say). It also covers the moves and items you run on it!

edit: As for the Dragonite/Lucario/Hippowdon core, unfortunately I'm not very experienced with it, but I suppose the strategy behind it is to wear stuff down through Stealth Rock + Sand Stream damage, give Lucario a free switch in through Yawn and if Lucario fails to clean up Dragonite can do it through either DD or CB + ExtremeSpeed. Could be wrong though n_n edit 2: This means that either Dragonite isn't needed or it's sent out late enough that Sandstorm isn't really up anymore.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's also possible that Hippowdon is run with Sand Force so that Dragonite can be used more freely, although Pearl.'s theory seems solid: Wear things down with Hippo using SR + Yawn spam, get in Lucario on a safe switch, break a little with Nasty Plot-boosted attacks and if that doesn't do the trick, clean up with Extreme Speed (or Outrage against slower teams I guess).

I go with sand stream for hippo and I play the core as Pearl mentioned. As long as I can get a DD off from multiscale, I'm super happy...for the most part. It's been a very well-established core in the Korean community since XY that still works extremely well even in high-rate battles. It's a very predictable core but it apparently works very well.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DragonWhale how do you know about this and how do we get forced?
A friend of mine bumped into him and got an absurd amount of points stolen (despite being below him). There's also numerous reports of this guy online, and his name has chinese characters, which is impossible.

As for how it's forced, apparently your DS freezes on team preview and you lose.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hopefully GroudonEmpire runs into him while streaming so we can send proof to Nintendo or something (you can spare a few points for the greater good, right? :p). This is a real shame though. I know a lot of 'legal hacks' don't get caught (where people just hack stuff that would be legit anyway to save themselves the time breeding) but stuff that's platantly obvious like this shows that Nintendo has some work to do!

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, so I've been keeping tabs on the teams I come across during my testing on Showdown and I've noticed that certain types of teams follow a certain framework. Here are the teams I jotted down:

Garchomp - Blaziken - Zapdos - Sylveon - Gengar - Ferrothorn
Garchomp - Blaziken - Thundurus - Sylveon - Aegislash - Gyarados
Landorus-T - Blaziken - Zapdos - Gardevoir - Ferrothorn - Suicune
Landorus-T - Blaziken - Raikou - Kangaskhan - Gengar - Azumarill
Garchomp - Blaziken - Thundurus-T - Gardevoir - Aegislash - Suicune
Garchomp - Heracross - Thundurus - Kangaskhan - Heatran - Cresselia
Garchomp - Volcarona - Thundurus - Kangaskhan - Gengar - Suicune
Garchomp - Talonflame - Gengar - Kangaskhan - Aegislash - Suicune
Excadrill - Talonflame - Zapdos - Togekiss - Sableye - Breloom
Garchomp - Lucario - Thundurus - Gardevoir - Ferrothorn - Suicune
Landorus-T - Heatran - Rotom-W - Kangaskhan - Scizor - Latios

As you can see, a lot of these teams seem to follow a pretty loose framework of Ground, Fire or Fighting, Electric, Fairy, Ghost or Steel, Water. I was wondering whether or not this was a deliberate teambuilding convention on the Japanese side or just good general synergy? I'm interested to hear your thoughts, and to see if anyone's teams fit loosely into this bracket. Also, has anyone else noticed any other teambuilding trends?

Hey guys, so I've been keeping tabs on the teams I come across during my testing on Showdown and I've noticed that certain types of teams follow a certain framework. Here are the teams I jotted down:

Garchomp - Blaziken - Zapdos - Sylveon - Gengar - Ferrothorn
Garchomp - Blaziken - Thundurus - Sylveon - Aegislash - Gyarados
Landorus-T - Blaziken - Zapdos - Gardevoir - Ferrothorn - Suicune
Landorus-T - Blaziken - Raikou - Kangaskhan - Gengar - Azumarill
Garchomp - Blaziken - Thundurus-T - Gardevoir - Aegislash - Suicune
Garchomp - Heracross - Thundurus - Kangaskhan - Heatran - Cresselia
Garchomp - Volcarona - Thundurus - Kangaskhan - Gengar - Suicune
Garchomp - Talonflame - Gengar - Kangaskhan - Aegislash - Suicune
Excadrill - Talonflame - Zapdos - Togekiss - Sableye - Breloom
Garchomp - Lucario - Thundurus - Gardevoir - Ferrothorn - Suicune
Landorus-T - Heatran - Rotom-W - Kangaskhan - Scizor - Latios

As you can see, a lot of these teams seem to follow a pretty loose framework of Ground, Fire or Fighting, Electric, Fairy, Ghost or Steel, Water. I was wondering whether or not this was a deliberate teambuilding convention on the Japanese side or just good general synergy? I'm interested to hear your thoughts, and to see if anyone's teams fit loosely into this bracket. Also, has anyone else noticed any other teambuilding trends?
Lol I actually have a team of Hippo/Blaziken/Thundurus/Mega Altaria/Aegislash/Octillery that fits this framework as well.

I think it's just a good general synergy and covers a wide range of the meta. Someone more knowledgable could probably expand on this.

Korean Forum: http://gall.dcinside.com/board/lists/?id=pokemon

It's a mix of all meta, along with useless threads. It is, however, mostly about battle spot singles. There are quite a few 1900+ and some 2000+ players there. For instance, Korean players like Jeong Hoon is an active member. If there are by any chance people that can read Korean, they should check it out. Just make sure to filter out all the hostile and/or ridiculous threads and comments...and you will see some nice discussions/topics. I find it nice to explore the Korean metagame just because they have a rather different view on the battle spot singles environment, as do other communities. While most Koeans acknowledge the Japanese are far and beyond better than the Koreans in general, I would give the Koreans' perspective a shot.

Two things that I've found are interesting are regarding mega salamence and dragonite.
1) Dragonite: While here, it's considered a B+ pokemon that doesn't exactly fit well into most teams, Koreans view it differently. They consider it an extremely good pokemong for the battle spot singles as DD@lum/LO and CB sets are considered top tier while not requiring mega evolution. It is almost always mentioned in the infamous 카바루카 (kya-ba-lu-ka) core that consists of hippowdon, mega lucario, and dragonite. Hippwdon usually carries SR+yawn, mega lucario is usually a NP sweeper, and drgonite is usually the DD variant with LO or lum. This old core is considered to be one of
the most powerful cores that is hard to stop and is very consistent even though it's so predictable.

2) Mega Salamence: If you go on the Korean forums, you will often times see people talking about mega salamence and mega kangaskhan. Mega Salamance is considered to be broken/over powered in the Korean community and you will see people often referring its power/potentials as ㅆㅅㅌㅊ, short for sship-sang-ta-chi, which quite literally means ****ing god tier. The DD sets, mixed, bulky, sub+roost, and even special sets are all considered good with the exceptions of the special set, which people usually don't like much. The most popular sets, however, are the DD variants, particularly the DD+sub. top players often tell lower-rating players to just slap this or the mega kangaskhan on if they want to reach 2000...half jokingly (and become a japanese).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)