Resource Creative and Underrated Sets: ORAS Edition (NO SHITTY GIMMICKS, Read Post #419)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I realise some people will probably call me crazy for saying this, but I think a very underrated threat right now is Heatran with HP Electric.
I'm currently using a specs version of it, and it 2HKO's or OHKO's common switchins such as Keldeo, Gyarados, Slowbro (M), Suicune, Politoed and other water types who think they're safe coming into a fire or steel move. Granted a few of them are faster and can hit you with a powerful move but the fact that it adds so much pressure onto your opponent I think it's better than Ancient Power and Stone Miss.

The set I'm using is:

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature (You could use Timid, but it misses a few 2HKO I believe)
EV's: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Overheat
-Flash Cannon
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power [Electric]

Because of uni and stuff, I haven't really had the chance to play too much so I don't have any replays, but here are some calcs!

Keldeo
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Hidden Power Electric vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 236-278 (73 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

As you can see, with very little pre damage, Keldeo will be OHKO'd. Keldeo is often used as a "counter" to Heatran and will more often than not come in. Even if you don't knock it out, you can damage it so much that A) the subCM set cannot sub and B) it'll be crippled so much that even a Weedle can knock it out (don't quote me on that)

Bulky Gyarados
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Hidden Power Electric vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 428-508 (121.2 - 143.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This is obvious, but it's a common switch in.

Gyarados
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Hidden Power Electric vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 428-508 (129.3 - 153.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Same as above

M-Gyarados
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Hidden Power Electric vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 172-204 (51.9 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

If the Gyara has already evolved, it's still 2HKO'd. Albeit with this set, you will have to switch out. So here's Timid just incase the Gyara is Adamant (I run Jolly, but whatever, some run Adamant!)

252 SpA Choice Specs Heatran Hidden Power Electric vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 158-186 (47.7 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
It's still 2HKO'd with rocks and has a 79.3% chance to 2HKO without rocks.

Slowbro
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 250-296 (63.4 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Clean 2HKO

M-Slowbro
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 260-306 (65.9 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Let's also say you potentially come in together and Slowbro decides to CM once, it's still a clean 2HKO.

Suicune
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 192-226 (47.5 - 55.9%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Okay it's only a 20% chance to 2HKO after rocks, but what can it do back? If it decides to Scald, you'll lose ~50% and then you can KO it the next turn. If it CM's it's a clean 3HKO and if it rests then yeah you still beat it.

Talonflame
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Hidden Power Electric vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 292-344 (89.2 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

This isn't a switchin, but you're a common switchin to it. It might want to SD thinking you've got nothing, and you can hit it for crazy damage! Only problem is when they realise you're HP Electric and you can't hit it for SE, but even then it'll run out of Roost's before you run out of HP Electric and if it does decide to attack you then good bye Mr Flame.

Politoed
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Hidden Power Electric vs. 248 HP / 164+ SpD Politoed: 168-198 (43.8 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

You're up agianst a rain team? They discount Heatran to an extent and nearly always bring in Poli. It's 2HKO'd though, and either loses rain turns or momentum. Win-win

If I do decide to ladder anytime soon, I'll try get some good replays with it!

Edit:
I went on Showdown today and this was my very first match!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-238603819

As you can see, it KO's Landorus-T when it comes in - Not with HP Electric obviously, but due to it being specs.
It also stops Azu from being able to set up a Belly Drum, which could have been very effective on me from there!
And then it KO's Clef while going for Overheat later (I used Overheat instead of Flash Cannon just incase he predicted that and went to Raikou, who was his most pressurising player)
Basically, every time it came into battle it helped out by either KO'ing or stopping a potential sweep.

Edit2: Also bear in mind, that when I got confused and hit myself, I went for Stealth Rock, so if I had gotten that up, Azu would have been KO'd by HP Electric

Last edited:
In a 1v1 situation I'm pretty sure suicune beats heatran:

Heatran uses HP electric, Suicune uses CM - 50%
Heatran uses HP electric, Suicune rests - 100%
Heatran uses HP electric, Suicune either CMs, Rests, or Scalds - 70%
Heatran uses HP electric, Suicune either CMs, Rests, or Scalds - 40%
Heatran uses HP electric, Suicune wakes up and rests - 100%

And the cycle repeats. As long as the suicune user does not get rest every time it tries to sleeptalk, suicune wins.
If suicune switches in on an HP electric then it loses unless after it rests and uses sleep talk it gets calm mind twice in a row, then it wins. Otherwise suicune loses. Pretty cool set though, I always use HP grass on specs tran and I never actually thought about HP electric which hits gyara and talonflame. Next time I use specs tran I'm going to remember this :]

Well obviously Suicune beats Heatran 1 vs 1... His point was that Heatran can click HP Electric on the switch and then Suicune gets 2HKO'd after SR, so it can't stay in. He just calc'd it wrong not actually factoring in SR in the calc:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 192-226 (47.5 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

That's actually a good point, people might see HP Grass coming, and then figure they can switch in flying types like Talon (if they want to set up SD's i guess?) etc.

I actually had a game earlier which I didn't save because I didn't think i'd be writing this, they had Garchomp, Gliscor, M-Slowbro (at about 40%) and Gothitelle which had already got rid of it's scarf. I came into the Gothitelle and used HP electric knowing he'd think it's HP Ice. He went into Slowbro and I got another free kill essentially. It used to be common in Gen 4 but nobody thinks about it now!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That's actually a good point, people might see HP Grass coming, and then figure they can switch in flying types like Talon (if they want to set up SD's i guess?) etc.

I actually had a game earlier which I didn't save because I didn't think i'd be writing this, they had Garchomp, Gliscor, M-Slowbro (at about 40%) and Gothitelle which had already got rid of it's scarf. I came into the Gothitelle and used HP electric knowing he'd think it's HP Ice. He went into Slowbro and I got another free kill essentially. It used to be common in Gen 4 but nobody thinks about it now!
Heatran doesn't run HP Grass. It runs Power Herb Solar Beam.

I like the Cloyster set, but there is one mistake in ur post: you say that Cloyster is the only viable suicide lead to get Rapid Spin. Contrary to this, it isn't the only viable suicide lead that gets Rapid Spin. Enter Forretress!

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
Hasty* / Naive* / Lonely** / Naughty**
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Gyro Ball / Spikes
- Rapid Spin / Spikes
- Explosion

*only run without Gyro Ball
**only run with Gyro Ball

This is a decent suicide lead, being capable of laying one or more layers of hazards, taking a hit with sturdy (IVs are to maximise the chance of being hit to Sturdy) and either Rapid Spin before you die, get down a final layer of hazards or explode to prevent your hazards being defogged or spun away (all using your Custap Berry). While it doesn't force out common leads like Garchomp, it is capable of removing said lead's hazards and KOing itself in one turn due to Rough Skin, while it is also capable of doing something that Custap+Brave Bird Skarm and Cloyster are unable to do: it is the only one of the three suicide leads that is capable of winning v.s. M-Diancie due to being able to run Gyro Ball without the same drawbacks as, say, Iron Head Skarmory (although you must run Lonely or Naughty if you do choose to run it). I present four calcs to anyone reading this:

252+ Atk Forretress Gyro Ball (48 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 252-300 (104.5 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 155-185 (64.3 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cloyster: 339-400 (140.6 - 165.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While Cloyster takes the hit with its Sash, it can't KO Diancie on turn 1, meaning that it gets cockblocked by it and gets outpaced and KO'd on turn 2 without it even needing to risk missing Diamond Storm. It may be reluctant to come in on turn 1 or 2, but as soon as they see Spikes they will know there is no Hydro Pump. If the Diancie player is ballsy, they may lead and mega turn 1, in which case you don't get any spikes.

Don't take this post the wrong way: I'm not saying the Cloyster set is bad. On the contrary: I actually rather like it. I literally made this post because one aspect of the Cloyster post was an invitation for me to advertise Forry XD (I can't be asked to look through 25 pages to see if this has already been done so sorry if it has).
Do keep in mind regarding the Custap Forry set that if you die while using Rapid Spin you do not clear the hazards. I wanted to point that out since you noted that it killed itself on Garchomp's Rough Skin. Otherwise a cool set!

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Do keep in mind regarding the Custap Forry set that if you die while using Rapid Spin you do not clear the hazards. I wanted to point that out since you noted that it killed itself on Garchomp's Rough Skin. Otherwise a cool set!
Forgot that. Will edit.

Martin

This thread has been dead for long enough for me to feel that it is OK for me to double-post, so sorry about this.

Sub+CM Jirachi
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Psyshock / Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Moonblast / Psyshock / Flash Cannon / Hidden Power [Fire] / Icy Wind / Water Pulse

This is the set that I've been using, and it is working reasonably well. The second attack is probably not that optimal, but I just picked it 'cause it has good coverage with Psyshock. I wanted to build a team that was built around something non-standard that could act as part of a team based around the main theme of Sonic Colours (Reach for the Stars) and this gem from back in BW seemed to make sense due to Jirachi looking like a star and the set being non-standard in the current metagame. Now, onto the details!

CM and Sub are necessary for this set due to them being the entire basis of the set; sub protects Jirachi from status, allows you to play around Bisharp, eases prediction and allows you to capitalise on switches while CM allows it to set up. The last two moveslots are dedicated to attacks. Psyshock allows Jirachi it to win CM wars with stuff like Keldeo, Suicune and Manaphy. Moonblast provides good coverage with Psyshock, hitting Dark-types super effectively and Psychic-types for neutral damage. However, if the combination of Psyshock and Moonblast isn't your cup of tea, there are a number of other viable options you can use. If you are on a rain team, the combination of Thunder and Water Pulse is an option to create a parafusion combo, although you should only attack with Water Pulse if rain is still up; therefore, if Water Pulse's inconsistent power isn't for you, you could always switch it out for any of Psyshock, Moonblast, Flash Cannon, HP Fire or Icy Wind. In addition to this, if you are not using a rain team or you aren't too keen on the low accuracy outside of rain, Thunderbolt can be used over Thunder; just remember that you shouldn't run Water Pulse if you are using Thunderbolt.

The EVs I have chosen outpace 160 timid Manaphy (which itself outpaces neutral natured base 100s) and adamant Garchomp to hit them before they hit you or set up, as well as allowing Jirachi to create 101 HP substitutes; however, the spread is VERY customisable, so adjust it according to your team and choices of moves. You could use a spread of 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe bold to outpace jolly Tyranitar and adamant Bisharp, forcing the latter to play around Substitute and HP Fire while allowing you to hit the former with a Moonblast or Flash Cannon before it can even move. You could run 84 speed with a timid nature to outpace adamant Landorus-T, or you could run 184 to outpace jolly variants. Finally, a fully offensive variant of this set using 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe with a timid nature can be used, although the bulk difference is very significant. There are a lot of other spreads you could use, so test out a number of different spreads and see which works best for your team.

Last edited:

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Healing Wish/Defog/Roost/HP Fire/Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor/HP Fire/Psyshock

Offensive support lure latias is super fun! Heatran and Skarm are hard to get rid of, but latias kills both of them! This allows something like mega altaria free reign. Draco Meteor is somewhat obligatory to give latias a consistent STAB nuke, though this could be replaced with hp fire to nail ferrothorn or psyshock for another form of consistent damage (can beat venusaur, but nobody stays in on latias). Earthquake kills heatran, and nobody really expects eq on latias (especially if tbolt is revealed), and the same applies with skarm and tbolt. Tbolt still allows latias to beat subcm keld and nail azumarill even without psyshock.

You can tailor it however you want to lure what you need to lure, but the point is to have two coverage moves instead of one (or zero) to kill everything and facilitate a sweep !

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earthquake
- Healing Wish/Defog/Roost/HP Fire/Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor/HP Fire/Psyshock

Offensive support lure latias is super fun! Heatran and Skarm are hard to get rid of, but latias kills both of them! This allows something like mega altaria free reign. Draco Meteor is somewhat obligatory to give latias a consistent STAB nuke, though this could be replaced with hp fire to nail ferrothorn or psyshock for another form of consistent damage (can beat venusaur, but nobody stays in on latias). Earthquake kills heatran, and nobody really expects eq on latias (especially if tbolt is revealed), and the same applies with skarm and tbolt. Tbolt still allows latias to beat subcm keld and nail azumarill even without psyshock.

You can tailor it however you want to lure what you need to lure, but the point is to have two coverage moves instead of one (or zero) to kill everything and facilitate a sweep !
isnt latios better as an offensive lure for things? also why 0 atk with eq

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
isnt latios better as an offensive lure for things? also why 0 atk with eq
Latios can be used if memento support is more desirable than healing wish, but healing wish is imo far more useful. Latios is also common with eq and other coverage moves, making opponents more weary, whereas latias carries at most hpfire (though it usually has a full moveset and only room for stabs).

0 iv was a mistake.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Latios can be used if memento support is more desirable than healing wish, but healing wish is imo far more useful. Latios is also common with eq and other coverage moves, making opponents more weary, whereas latias carries at most hpfire (though it usually has a full moveset and only room for stabs).

0 iv was a mistake.
healing wish was slashed with a bunch of stuff, and eq isnt a sure KO vs offensive varients as well as not ever KOing defensive ones (which seem more common rn)

0 Atk Life Orb Latias Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 296-354 (91.6 - 109.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Latias Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 296-354 (76.8 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah but any of those Heatrans are most likely switching into a Draco Meteor anyway

Also the lure aspect is a lot more expected on Latios and using it on Latias catches a lot more people off guard.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
healing wish was slashed with a bunch of stuff, and eq isnt a sure KO vs offensive varients as well as not ever KOing defensive ones (which seem more common rn)

0 Atk Life Orb Latias Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 296-354 (91.6 - 109.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Latias Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 296-354 (76.8 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
healing wish is the biggest draw, but again, it's flexible based on your team needs. Latias still has the lure factor that latios doesnt because latias is typically more cramped for moveslots.

You don't have to 1hko to incapacitate it for the match (especially on a mon that doesnt have recovery).

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
healing wish is the biggest draw, but again, it's flexible based on your team needs. Latias still has the lure factor that latios doesnt because latias is typically more cramped for moveslots.

You don't have to 1hko to incapacitate it for the match (especially on a mon that doesnt have recovery).
fair enough, seems like a nice set because of the surprise factor mainly

Hi Smogon community, I wanna share an interesting set which could work very well.

Anti-Lead Azelf

Azelf @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Ground
- Fire Blast

This set is a lure Azelf obviously. Contrary to Azelf's usual role as a stealth rocker, this Azelf was meant to lure in common leads. Most common stealth rock leads is likely to feel secure as most Azelf prioritize to set up rocks and would be comfortable to stay in expecting a Steath Rock move.

The moveset is explainatory. Dazzling Gleam 2HKO's Mega Sableye and lead Garchomp. Grass Knot hits Hippodown extremely hard. HP Ground hits Heatran and Fire Blast of course hits Skarm or Ferrothorn. This set was meant to weaken those mons to the very least to support its teammates.
Example is how Bisharp and M-Loppuny benefits from getting Hippo/Chomp weakened and so the list goes on. With its coverage its a decent late game cleaner and could hit other possible leads hard such as Breloom or Mamoswine.

On the other note, a Hasty nature could be used in conjunction with Iron Tail to replace one of the any moves above, which actually 2HKO's standard Magic Guard Clefable/ Ko's M-Diancie / M-Gardevoir. The shaky accuracy of Iron Tail however is a great concern.

At the very least the Azelf set could work. Kinda gimmicky but it has its uses I suppose. Thank You. Dont beat on me please >_<. I dont know whether other people has innovated on this set yet / post it on this thread.

Relevant Calcs:
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 348-410 (82.8 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 432-509 (122.7 - 144.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 226-269 (58.7 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: 146-173 (48 - 56.9%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Garchomp: 216-254 (51.4 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 374-442 (111.9 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Expert Belt Azelf Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 218-259 (55.3 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Expert Belt Azelf Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 286-338 (103.2 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Expert Belt Azelf Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 384-456 (159.3 - 189.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Hi Smogon community, I wanna share an interesting set which could work very well.

Anti-Lead Azelf

Azelf @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Ground
- Fire Blast

This set is a lure Azelf obviously. Contrary to Azelf's usual role as a stealth rocker, this Azelf was meant to lure in common leads. Most common stealth rock leads is likely to feel secure as most Azelf prioritize to set up rocks and would be comfortable to stay in expecting a Steath Rock move.

The moveset is explainatory. Dazzling Gleam 2HKO's Mega Sableye and lead Garchomp. Grass Knot hits Hippodown extremely hard. HP Ground hits Heatran and Fire Blast of course hits Skarm or Ferrothorn. This set was meant to weaken those mons to the very least to support its teammates.
Example is how Bisharp and M-Loppuny benefits from getting Hippo/Chomp weakened and so the list goes on. With its coverage its a decent late game cleaner and could hit other possible leads hard such as Breloom or Mamoswine.

On the other note, a Hasty nature could be used in conjunction with Iron Tail to replace one of the any moves above, which actually 2HKO's standard Magic Guard Clefable/ Ko's M-Diancie / M-Gardevoir. The shaky accuracy of Iron Tail however is a great concern.

At the very least the Azelf set could work. Kinda gimmicky but it has its uses I suppose. Thank You. Dont beat on me please >_<. I dont know whether other people has innovated on this set yet / post it on this thread.

Relevant Calcs:
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 348-410 (82.8 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 432-509 (122.7 - 144.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 226-269 (58.7 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: 146-173 (48 - 56.9%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Garchomp: 216-254 (51.4 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 374-442 (111.9 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Expert Belt Azelf Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 218-259 (55.3 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Expert Belt Azelf Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 286-338 (103.2 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Expert Belt Azelf Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 384-456 (159.3 - 189.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
azelf gets energy ball, which also hits mega diancie.

Last edited:
Yeah, Energy Ball is a thing, but doesn't gurantee an OHKO on Diancie Mega
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Diancie: 211-250 (87.5 - 103.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Grass Knot on the other hand could 2HKO Max HP Tyranitar, which freqently comes in on Azelf to take Explosion damage I suppose and can heavily weaken Hippo to the point where it dies to nearly all attack, but yeah it is usable.
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 204-240 (50.6 - 59.5%) -- 82.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I dont see much point in arguing about this though.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Yeah, Energy Ball is a thing, but doesn't gurantee an OHKO on Diancie Mega
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Diancie: 211-250 (87.5 - 103.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Grass Knot on the other hand could 2HKO Max HP Tyranitar, which freqently comes in on Azelf to take Explosion damage I suppose and can heavily weaken Hippo to the point where it dies to nearly all attack, but yeah it is usable.
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 204-240 (50.6 - 59.5%) -- 82.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I dont see much point in arguing about this though.
it does after rocks, and if the diancie hasn't megad yet, then it can't just switch in to deter rocks.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
it does after rocks, and if the diancie hasn't megad yet, then it can't just switch in to deter rocks.
I'm assuming that the matchup will happen in the lead position, though, since the goal is to feign rocks. I do think that iron tail deserves a greater mention, though. Beating diancie/clefable right off the bat can sometimes mean game

p2

Banned deucer.
All Out Attacker Kyurem-B

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt / Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I went into a little bit of depth about this in my good cores post, but I think AoA Kyurem-B is a pretty underrated set. It just breaks Balance teams that rely on Ferrothorn as a Kyu-B check and it catches Scizors off guard because they usually SD or U-Turn against Kyurem-B anyway and if it does stay to Bullet Punch, KyuB takes the hit, from even Banded variants and OHKOs it. It's a really scary Balance breaker because its so difficult to switch into and the only mon that can actually handle it is Mega Slowbro because Clefable fears Iron Head. Even though its typing sucks and leaves it weak to hazards, hazard removal is everywhere and should be on most teams anyway and its good bulk lets it shrug off neutral hits fairly well. It's definitely an underrated set and will likely pick up more use as the meta becomes more inclined towards Balance.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
All Out Attacker Kyurem-B

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt / Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I went into a little bit of depth about this in my good cores post, but I think AoA Kyurem-B is a pretty underrated set. It just breaks Balance teams that rely on Ferrothorn as a Kyu-B check and it catches Scizors off guard because they usually SD or U-Turn against Kyurem-B anyway and if it does stay to Bullet Punch, KyuB takes the hit, from even Banded variants and OHKOs it. It's a really scary Balance breaker because its so difficult to switch into and the only mon that can actually handle it is Mega Slowbro because Clefable fears Iron Head. Even though its typing sucks and leaves it weak to hazards, hazard removal is everywhere and should be on most teams anyway and its good bulk lets it shrug off neutral hits fairly well. It's definitely an underrated set and will likely pick up more use as the meta becomes more inclined towards Balance.
Isn't this just standard Kyub with HP fire, which is a pretty common move on it anyways?

p2

Banned deucer.
Isn't this just standard Kyub with HP fire, which is a pretty common move on it anyways?
A lot of KyuBs opt for Substitute or Roost for help against status or for longevity, which forgoes a coverage move which can make it easier to handle (an example being bulky waters being able to beat Kyub if it drops Fusion Bolt). The point of 4 attacks is that it becomes an extremely potent balance breaker with almost 0 answers. It struggles a bit more against Stall or Offense because it can't have that longevity, but I really think its worth it in this meta, which I previously mentioned, is becoming more inclined to Balance.

edit @ below: I thought the standard was Ice Beam / Earth Power / Fusion Bolt with Substitute or Roost slashed.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
A lot of KyuBs opt for Substitute or Roost for help against status or for longevity, which forgoes a coverage move which can make it easier to handle (an example being bulky waters being able to beat Kyub if it drops Fusion Bolt). The point of 4 attacks is that it becomes an extremely potent balance breaker with almost 0 answers. It struggles a bit more against Stall or Offense because it can't have that longevity, but I really think its worth it in this meta, which I previously mentioned, is becoming more inclined to Balance.
Ok, I was just wondering because the last slot is usually an attacking move slashed with sub and/or roost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)