(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not saying this as being spoiled by Showdown. It's more of a convenience that I don't have to memorize if I have +2 on a stat vs +3, even if I have to do something like hold a button on a screen like with finding out the BP, accuracy, and effects of a move in the fight screen by holding L and picking a move. Like if we were to hold R and the stats pop up along with +/- next to it. It's not the final number I really want (though that would also be nice), it's the stages. This way I don't accidentally waste a turn trying to use Calm Mind or Swords Dance when I don't have to. A similar case with hazards.
Oh I wasn't trying to single you out, I just thought I'd quote your post since it was relevant :)

Suggestions (I'm trying to not call them complaints) usually stem from having played Showdown! and being accustomed to that interface. I will admit the on-cart UI is pretty uninformative but we wouldn't know any better if it weren't for PS!. I dunno, it's one of those things that I can see the benefit of but don't necessarily need. (but then we'd probably never have a thread like this if none of us complained about this stuff, lol)

On the other hand the fact that Showdown has it shows that people found it useful and thus implemented it. It's just convenient and doesn't really have any drawbacks, so I can understand people bitching about it still not being there. GameFreak generally seems to be pretty slow about implementing convenience compared to other game designers. I don't really play that many video games, but I remember being absolutely amazed at how easy to play Zelda's A Link Between Worlds was compared to the Pokemon I was used to, to give an example.

I think something like being able to see spikes or screens would make sense to see on the field. Stat boosts and not knowing the health of the opposing pokemon in the Poke Balls makes sense if we compare that to the anime.
I would welcome those changes.

When an opposing Pokemon Traces a switch-in ability (Intimidate), the "ability notification" thing shows Trace turning into Intimidate. Then the ability notification thing disappears, then reappears to activate the ability ("Porygon2's Intimidate!"), which then lowers attack.

Just make it one continuous motion. "Porygon2's Trace" becomes "Porygon2's Intimidate" and it lowers the attack.

...or maybe I should have saved this for the "REALLY little things that annoy you in Gen 6" thread.

When an opposing Pokemon Traces a switch-in ability (Intimidate), the "ability notification" thing shows Trace turning into Intimidate. Then the ability notification thing disappears, then reappears to activate the ability ("Porygon2's Intimidate!"), which then lowers attack.

Just make it one continuous motion. "Porygon2's Trace" becomes "Porygon2's Intimidate" and it lowers the attack.

...or maybe I should have saved this for the "REALLY little things that annoy you in Gen 6" thread.
Maybe one day since they've done similar things for moves like Protect (it used to also say that the move missed).

They freaking removed the clapping from e4 theme that alone was blasphemy.
I don't believe in the dogmatic view of blasphemy, but removing the clapping was just...plain wrong. The music now feels stale and lifeless in comparison to the original. How they managed to achieve this when the Gen 1 and my favorite, Gen 2 remakes had such character in their soundtracks is quite beyond me.

Another person pointed out how they removed the iconic trumpets from the intro of Meteor Falls. I thought the trumpets were over-rated, but now that they're gone, I realize belatedly that the trumpets gave Hoenn it's character, so when they remake the 4th Gen games, I'm hoping they won't remove that jazzy feel that fans feel characterize Gen 4, even if I don't really like jazz, if only so that the remakes have that same character that the originals had.

One thing that always annoyed me about the plot of Gates to Infinity (assuming we can extend this to the series in general).

Spoilers
Why did the Voice of Life choose a Hydreigon for its physical form? I know it's a powerful Pokemon, but that form is a Pokemon with both a menacing design and (based on the Pokedex) a vicious nature, and Munna clearly takes advantage of that to try and trick the player. If the point was to have a strong avatar, why not Dragonite (to keep the Dragon Motif) or some Fire Type to contrast Kyurem and the Bittercold?

One thing that always annoyed me about the plot of Gates to Infinity (assuming we can extend this to the series in general).

Spoilers
Why did the Voice of Life choose a Hydreigon for its physical form? I know it's a powerful Pokemon, but that form is a Pokemon with both a menacing design and (based on the Pokedex) a vicious nature, and Munna clearly takes advantage of that to try and trick the player. If the point was to have a strong avatar, why not Dragonite (to keep the Dragon Motif) or some Fire Type to contrast Kyurem and the Bittercold?
Perhaps it doesn't choose its physical form, just that's what it ends up as? Plus from a gameplay perspective, a Dragonite chasing Munna would be pretty obvious something's up given how kindly Dragonite usually are. Still, a Salamence would've worked fine...

Perhaps it doesn't choose its physical form, just that's what it ends up as? Plus from a gameplay perspective, a Dragonite chasing Munna would be pretty obvious something's up given how kindly Dragonite usually are. Still, a Salamence would've worked fine...
I understand how it would throw off the player, but from a practical standpoint in-universe, it seems outright counter-productive to its goal considering nothing implies that is the form it HAS to take (especially since it's still Hydreigon next time you see it). It just seems like a contrivance for the sake of creating a plot twist for the player. Grovyle at least was on a mission that would make him seem like a criminal barring an explanation that isn't exactly easy to swallow in universe while Dusknoir got to you guys first. With no evidence to suggest the VoL couldn't choose its form, it seems incredibly stupid in universe for the sake of confusing the player out of universe.

Here's something that doesn't really annoy me, just confuses me:
If you use Protect or a Fairy-type, Outrage simply stops and there is no confusion.
If the Outrager flinches, Outrage ends and there is confusion.
Why?

Articuno's stat spread. Come on, Game Freak. When you split the Special stat into SpA and SpD, you had Zapdos and Moltres retain their 125 SpA for Offense. However, their fellow Legendary Bird Articuno gets 125 SpD instead (and gets it's SpA a miserable 85), rendering it more useless than it was in RBY.

Game Freak never seems to learn that Ice is a shitty defensive typing given as Articuno, Avalugg, Lapras , Cryogonal, Regice, Kyurem, Walrein and Dewgong all being relatively bulky (on stats) although that shit typing screws them over more often than not. In fact, Offensive Ice-types are pretty rare ; Weavile, Mamoswine, Kyurem and that's it. Full stop. This is obviously a waste on the great coverage Ice type STAB provides.

Oh, and they also make a move that allows Ice types to muscle past Water-types (Freeze Dry). Problem is it has shit distribution and only 70 Base Power, forcing you to run it alongside another Ice STAB.

Ice types also lose out completely when it comes to weather wars.

1) Sun: Chlorophyll, boosted Fire Attacks, instant Solar Beam, Growth, Solar Power

2) Rain: Swift Swim, boosted Water Attacks, 100% Thunder , 100% Hurricane, neutralizing Steel-type's weakness, Dry Skin, Rain Dish

3) Sand: Sand Rush, Sand Force, Sand Veil, boosted SpD (for Rocks), chip damage

4) Ice: Ice Body, 100% Blizzard, Snow Cloak

And that's not even getting into the quality of the weather setter and abusers. Yeah, Ice-types really got the short end of the stick.

Last edited:
Oh, and they also make a move that allows Ice types to muscle past Water-types (Freeze Dry). Problem is it has shit distribution and only 70 Base Power, forcing you to run it alongside another Ice STAB.
The only time I've seen people recommend Freeze Dry along side another Ice STAB is on Mamoswine and that's because Mamo is a physical attacker, not that Freeze Dry is weak. Also, the poor distribution was intentional to maintain the type chart as the status quo with Freeze Dry being something really special.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Fact remains, though, that there is some serious discrepancy between what the Ice type can do, and what its Pokémon are designed to do.

Ice is a brilliant typing offensively, hitting the ubiquitous Flying types for super-effective damage, and in-game neither Grass nor Ground Pokémon are that uncommon either. If you ever happen to chance upon a Dragon, Ice will bring that one down too. As for resists, neither Fire, Ice nor Steel is that common in-game, and Water types are easily dealt with by the rest of your team. All in all, firing off an Ice attack is rarely a bad decision. You're likely to hit for a lot of damage, barring a rare exception.

However, defensively, the Ice type is pretty crap, resisting nothing but itself, and weak to Fire, Steel, Rock and Fighting, most of which are pretty common attacks.

It seems the typing is tailored for glass cannons, hitting hard but taking hits really poorly.

So what does GameFreak do with this type? What do the Ice Pokémon look like? Well, defensive, slow beasts, invoking the image of a glacier. Slow, but tireless and unstoppable. That would have been a fine choice, hadn't the type chart been so ludicrously opposite of that image. Most Ice types are too slow to strike first, to weak to hit hard, and their good defenses are rendered useless because almost every opponent carries a move that hits for super-effective damage. "Good defenses" isn't really covering it either, because the total lack of resistances means Ice won't ever get that benefit.

As it stands, the only really succesful Ice Pokémon are those designed to be exceptions to the formula. Weavile, Mamoswine and Kyurem. The latter is helped by an ungodly BST, which would make nearly every type successful. The only really decent defensive Ice type is Cloyster, which is given an amazing ability, the moves to utilize it - and of course, a boosting move that turns those useless defensive stats into the Speed and Attack it needs to actually do anything. That's right, what makes Cloyster a successful Ice type is its ability to get rid of the typical traits associated with the typing.

It really annoys me when people complain that a certain Pokemon is wasted potential. It's never going to be possible for GameFreak to have a perfectly balanced metagame of, what, 400-odd fully evolved Pokemon... and if it did manage such a feat, there would be way too many threats in the metagame to be able to cover everything with six teamslots, so the metagame would actually suck and be ultra-dependent on team match-ups.

We should therefore be grateful for the Laprases and Gogoats of this world that are nowhere near as good as GameFreak wanted them to be.

Not sure if this has been said already, but when you are not in battle and you use an HP restoring item on a Pokémon, the HP bar filling up takes too long imo.

I hear you, it gets really annoying when your Pokemon has 300+ HP. I am looking at you level 100 Sylveon. e-e Must you take so long to fill up the HP bar?

I hear you, it gets really annoying when your Pokemon has 300+ HP. I am looking at you level 100 Sylveon. e-e Must you take so long to fill up the HP bar?
Yeah exactly. Just did a fun playthrough of the Pokémon League with Blissey in my team. Used a Revive + Full Restore. Literally sat there just staring at the HP bar.

Not sure if this has been said already, but when you are not in battle and you use an HP restoring item on a Pokémon, the HP bar filling up takes too long imo.
You... do know that holding the B button while HP is being restored speeds up the process, right? (or tap and hold the touch screen) It's what I was doing when I used my HP Super Trained Gogoat in X, and my Azumarill in Omega Ruby...

You... do know that holding the B button while HP is being restored speeds up the process, right? (or tap and hold the touch screen) It's what I was doing when I used my HP Super Trained Gogoat in X, and my Azumarill in Omega Ruby...
Are you serious..? Gotta try that out right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)