Unpopular opinions

We've had Avatar the Last Airbender mentioned before, and I feel like if they wanted to Ash could easily progress the same way Aang or maybe even Korra did. Aang starts as the funny kid, who is upset about his past but wants to save those who are important to him. As the show progressed, he became a more mature person but still retained his happy attitude while having his dark moments. Ash could of gone this way, starting with the nooby, hot-headed boy from Pallet Town who slowly matured, loses his hot-headedness, and finally mastered the league. But, for the sake of the current viewers (7-12? My best guess.) they want him to stay an age they can relate too without changing his character much at all.

Oh yeah, I also found his voice in Indigo League to be really annoying. This is Unpopular Opinions, I had to say it once.

I've never really liked games that involved Johto region. Actually I didn't enjoy them to such an extent that I have never even completed one (both GS & HGSS). I was also really disappointed with the GSC remakes in HGSS. Especially when they didn't revamp any of the Gym Leader's Pokemon to be more well rounded with the new options Gen IV offered. I'm going to try and go back and actually beat those games, but I've never really felt them

I also really liked Sinnoh & Unova despite all the hate those gens and regions got. I thought the Pokemon introduced were interesting and unique and they had compelling story lines. I also really liked how Unova tried to be a new "Gen I" region by introducing Pokemon and motifs that gave nods to the nostalgia of Gen I, but still kept their own originality

My unpopular opinion is that the Pokemon anime is fine. I mean, it achieves it's purpose, which is to introduce Pokemon to a younger audience and get them to buy the games, and the TCG. The anime itself was how me and my brother got into Pokemon in the first place. It's not meant to be a standalone product, it's not meant to be a grand arching story, it's meant to be a way for young people to get into Pokemon.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Last time I checked TPIC was swimming in money. Second best selling video game franchise period, remember? It doesn't have to be cheap if they don't want it to be, especially since they could sell more merchandise off of it.

They also want to promote the same kind of values all the time and junk. It's easier to that when the characters themselves are constant. By now it's probably more like nostalgia: people who watched the show as a child are now growing up and having children of their own. It's easy for the parents to get involved because there are no changes at all to the cast so they know what's going on still. It's easier for anyone to pick back up in the middle (I know I went from Battle Frontier to XY without feeling I missed anything) this way. Sure it's annoying when you're someone roughly our ages who analyze everything and realizes it doesn't make sense, but I guess we're still in the minority when it comes to the show.

Besides, how many other shows have been around and had as many episodes as Pokemon? Wikipedia lists 13 animes that had more than Pokemon's nearly 900 episodes now, but all but 2 aren't 30 minutes in length. The show has gotten on long enough that the archetypes for the characters are blatantly exposed now and characters are just deviations from those archetypes.

I feel Pokémon like Charizard, Lucario etc. are probably overrated... but I don't dislike them for it.
I'm just the sort of person who tries not to have another's opinion affect mine and try and go into things completely fresh - hell, I avoided spoilers like the plague for ORAS, the remake of a game I'd already played.
So when evaluating things like Charizard or Lugia I don't think about all the attention it gets from the fanbase and perhaps even the company itself, I just look at it as it is. And I like Charizard. It's a solid design, it's fun to use in FRLG, it's got a nice varied movepool, and it's XY Megas are really great (though I really wish it was just one Mega; make it just Mega Charizard Y with Fire/Dragon yn). Same general thing goes for Lucario, I still enjoy it despite the fact everyone and their mother adores it perhaps a bit too much.

I personally really hate Dragonite, its so fat and dump looking with tiny little wings that should make it a awful flyer (which according to the dex it isn't). Normally I would just ignore him and focus on other dragons, but the problem is that both of its pre-evolution's Dratini and Dragonair are probably my all time favorite Pokemon dragons. They are both so cute, elegant and silky, they have beautiful angel wing ears and Dragonair has these awesome orbs that can control the weather! So why when it evolves does it lose those orbs and everything that was unique to their line and instead become some big clumsy dragon? Because of the horror Dragonair turns into I flat out refuse to evolve it in-game and just call it a day with a evolite attached to it.

I really hope one day GameFreak gives us an alternative evolution for Dragonair which lets it enhance its amazing features. Till then I will have a grudge against Dragonite.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I want an alternative evolution for Dragonair soooo badly.
I don't like Dragonite and it looks absolutely nothing like Dragonair.

Yes, let the Dragonite hate begin again! Mwuhahahahah! Yeah... I can't stand Dragonite either, it's cute, but it doesn't fit at all with the entire line except for some Dratini-like features.

To completely switch gears, my current hate is the fact that Charizard and Mewtwo get two Mega Stones while every other Pokemon gets 1 (at most). Mewtwo, though, at least makes sense. It was genetically engineered to be powerful and probably all that DNA tweaking caused it to get a split in its abilities. But Charizard that was merely bending over backwards to appeal to Charizard fanboys. I honestly think Charizard should have gotten only one Mega. Now it's just out of place and completely stupid in my opinion.

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
To completely switch gears, my current hate is the fact that Charizard and Mewtwo get two Mega Stones while every other Pokemon gets 1 (at most). Mewtwo, though, at least makes sense. It was genetically engineered to be powerful and probably all that DNA tweaking caused it to get a split in its abilities. But Charizard that was merely bending over backwards to appeal to Charizard fanboys. I honestly think Charizard should have gotten only one Mega. Now it's just out of place and completely stupid in my opinion.
I suspect that when Zard Y was dropped, all the fanboys got butthurt because it was still fire/flying so they had to make an emergency second mega

I've actually never been a big fan of charizard, to be totally honest.
Unova was by far the best region, both design-wise and story-wise, and the backgrounds were phenomenal. XY had relatively chunky shading, while BW(2) had nice smoother shading.
<this just looks way more garish to me than >

I like Charizard Y better design wise. I think they could of done the color scheme and type of ZardX, but used the ZardY model. ZardX is kinda cool I guess, but the animation used doesn't give it justice I think. Meanwhile, I think that ZardY keeps the same idea as the original, but extends that further just like with Venusaur and Blastoise. ZardX is just such a huge difference in color and design to me.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I suspect that when Zard Y was dropped, all the fanboys got butthurt because it was still fire/flying so they had to make an emergency second mega

I've actually never been a big fan of charizard, to be totally honest.
Unova was by far the best region, both design-wise and story-wise, and the backgrounds were phenomenal. XY had relatively chunky shading, while BW(2) had nice smoother shading.
<this just looks way more garish to me than >
I highly doubt that they had to make an emergency Mega, especially since Origins aired like 2 monthes after Zard Y's reveal. There's no way that it wasn't planned out to increase hype just before X and Y were released.

That's what I mean. It feels Zard X was just added to appease those fans that wanted a dragon typed Charizard. It HAD to have been added WAY after Zard Y was made. The typing, the "badass" appearance, and the colors (oh look, it has the same colors as the shiny version) just screams that it was made for fanboys to go crazy over. It doesn't even seem to fit with the rest of the Megas at all.

Yeah, I'm a total Zard Y fan. I mean, Zard X looks pretty cool, but it doesn't really look like Charizard. Mega Charizard Y looks and feels like a logical next step to Charizard, while X just seems like fanboy appeal.

In other news, Mewtwo Y > Mewtwo X. I guess it's the same deal. If only the store wasn't out of Pokémon Y when I went, I would have gotten to play with the better Megas...

I also like Mewtwo X better... something about Y just seems weird to me. Mewtwo is this strong, powerful clone. Mewtwo X makes it seem like it is definitely made by a scientist, it got buff, has an awesome design, cool type, whats not to like?

I also like Mewtwo X better... something about Y just seems weird to me. Mewtwo is this strong, powerful clone. Mewtwo X makes it seem like it is definitely made by a scientist, it got buff, has an awesome design, cool type, whats not to like?
For Mewtwo, it feels like to me, that the two Megas emphasize different parts of it. Like the Y Mega emphasizes the "natural" parts (notice how the colors and figure much more resemble Mew than Mewtwo) while the X Mega emphasizes Mewtwo being designed to be the ultimate weapon (like how it remains close to the original Mewtwo design but buffer and has a new typing). That's why I said Mewtwo's two Megas make sense to me at least.

I just don't like the thing on Mewtwo Y's head. It makes it look like it wanted to be Suicune for a day.
Oh yeah, that says "The heck is this?!" if you can't read my messy computer handwriting.

Mewtwo also isn't part of a group. With Charizard, I think it is unfair that Venusaur and Blastoise only have one. If Venusaur and Blastoise get a second Mega, I wouldn't mind as much.
But yeah, Charizard-X is so clearly designed to get fanboys to shit themselves with its color scheme based on Shiny Charizard and its Fire/Dragon-typing.
Another problem I have with Mega Charizard-X is that it doesn't look like a Mega. It looks like a Shiny Charizard with different wings and is about to shoot blue flames at someone. That's it. Charizard-Y actually does look like a Mega Charizard.

Yes, Charizard having two Megas is a bit out of place. However, at least now it has mega(s), Charziard isn't out of place when used by Showdown ladder bottom-feeders in OU matches, like it was when they used it in previous gens. (Never mind OU, you know Charizard had 2% usage in Gen V Ubers?)

My thing about Zard-X is that, if I ignore the idea of it fitting the starter trends, it looks almost more like a branching evolution of Charmeleon than an extension of Charizard's design.

Charmander goes from light orange to dark red Charmeleon. Regular Charizard is getting that bright color back, Charizard-X is that darkening pigment continuing. It might also just be me, but regular Zard looks more like it's about flying and breathing fire, whereas Zard-X looks bulkier (compared to its wings or otherwise) such that it shouldn't be able to fly and would be more about pummeling you than flying and breathing fire. Sort of a Physical Attacker to Regular Zard's Special attacker, the way Slowking is Special tank to Slowbro's Physical Tank.

I think it's the color more than anything to me. If Zard-X had more of an orange color to it, it'd look less out of place. Every other Mega shares enough color in addition to other design elements to be immediately recognizable as the "regular" mon.

Hmmm, that would make more sense with it. My main problem with ZardX might be the wings though. In the art and anime, they don't look bad. But for the XY/ORAS model...

Those wings I really don't like. Since when did Charizard have feathers? I can see this is supposed to be a little like a Chinese Dragon (which sometimes have feathers) but this doesn't work here. Comparing it to normal Charizard actually, it really changes nothing about the design except for the colors, wings, and fire coming from its nostrils. Then we have ZardY, who changes the design in obvious spots, but it is still Charizard. We have a cool head crest, the wings are MASSIVE and it has extra wings to aid with flying faster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)