Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt

Description: Taunt+Wil-O-Wisp Talonflame is amazing atm. It's able to shut down quite a few Pokémon if rocks are kept off the field and crippling them with Wil-O-Wisp. Taunt helps it shut down quite a few Pokémon on stall teams. Being SpDef will cause Talonflame to miss out on some KOs even with SE Brave Bird but it will be able to give teams which have trouble with stall something to fight with making it a pretty good Stallbreaker in OU atm.

Week's done! You are allowed to vote for yourself. On how to vote, consult the opening post. 3 days from now.

Looks like Reverb approved this so here we go!

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Glare

Offensive Serperior can do a lot of damage, especially with a Life Orb attached. Great three move coverage makes this an easy piece to build around. All it needs is one good partner to really wreck some defensive cores and I think in an exercise like this that makes for a good starting point (and there's multiple good partners to pick from). Glare or Taunt is really personal preference in that you can either paralyze offensive switch-ins or stallbreak with Taunt. Versatility in roles is also important for this process as it allows us to adjust later on in the process. We can go with Glare unless we realize we don't have a stallbreaker and then flip to Taunt.

I personally would shy away from starting with a Mega early, as they can usually cover larger gaps later in the process. Not that there should be any rule or anything, but adding a bulky Venusaur, Scizor or Altaria later in the process (think teammate #4 or #5) could really plug a lot of holes, and if we choose to build around a DDer early (for an example) that could restrict us later in terms of covering holes.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power

LureTran is both very uncommon and underrated, allowing it to take out key pokemon that normally enjoy switching into Heatran with nobody suspecting a thing (Rotom-W, Keldeo, ...,). Magma Storm can trap the opposing pokemon, ensuring that your Solar Beam doesn't hit a random other pokemon in case of a double swap. Protect could be used over HP Ice to stall for additional Magma Storm damage, but HP Ice is chosen to hit Gliscor, Garchomp, Lando-T etc. Here are some damage calcs:

252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Rotom-W: 58-69 (19 - 22.6%)
252 SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Rotom-W: 186-220 (61.1 - 72.3%)
0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 236-278 (72.8 - 85.8%)

If you hit Magma Storm on the switch, Solar Beam will K.O. with the damage over time provided by Magma Storm. This is a very defensive rotom, too.

252 SpA Keldeo Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 248-294 (76.5 - 90.7%)
252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 264-312 (81.4 - 96.2%)

Keldeo K.O.s with Hydro Pump, not with anything else.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 306-360 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

An adamant Azumarill will probably OHKO

252 SpA Heatran Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 336-396 (94.9 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Heatran can OHKO a Gliscor without sdef investment, but it is risky. Guaranteed OHKO after SR, though.

252 SpA Heatran Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 300-356 (71.4 - 84.7%)
252 SpA Heatran Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 316-372 (82.7 - 97.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Gyarados @ Cheri Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Natural Gift
- Bounce

Why not start off with a favorite lure of mine? DD Cheri a Berry Gyarados is great for luring in Ferrothorn and killing it, which can easily open up a big hole in an opponent's teams since Ferrothorn is used as a blanket check for a lot of things. Another useful asset of this set is that this set doesn't auto lose to Thundy HO because his. T Wave won't work on you and Thundy dies to a +1 Waterfall after sr. Normal Gyara pairs well with a lot of mons and the absence of leftovers can easily bluff being Mega.

Volcarona (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Bulky Volcarona is an excellent mon in the current meta. It has access to the amazing boosting move Quiver Dance which lets it set up after a solid switch-in or another beneficial scenario. In addition, Fiery Dance over Fire Blast allows Volcarona to get a nice clean and accurate kill while also having the chance to boost its already massive special attack. Recovery is especially nice with Giga Drain and Leftovers to an extent, and Volcarona needs it due to being 4x weak to rocks. Bug Buzz is mainly used to get STABs, which means that in order to use this set, you're gonna need something to beat Heatran.

The best thing about this thing too is that it pairs with some pretty amazing Megas like Mega Gardevoir, Mega Diancie, Mega Sableye, Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, and Mega Altaria, just to name a few. This thing also pairs well with a hazard remover for fairly obvious reasons. I figure that using Volcarona give s us a lot of options going forward in terms of Megas and teammates.

Dragalge @ Draco Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Toxic Spikes

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Encore
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Mega Alakazam is a phenomenal Pokemon in OU right now, with a monstrous Special Attack stat of 175, being among the naturally fastest Pokemon in OU with a speed stat of 150 (outpacing base 80 and below scarfers such as Heatran, Tyranitar and Magnezone/Magneton) and a trollish ability in Trace.

Trace can allow Mega Alakazam to copy any other Pokemon's ability and use it against the opposing team? Is your team weak to Sand Offense? Mega Zam can trace Sand Rush and easily outpace Excadrill in the sand and OHKO with Focus Blast, the same going with Scarftar. Notice a lead Scolipede in Team Preview? Lead with Mega Alakazam and trace Speed Boost and become the fastest thing alive. The possibilities are endless.

Encore completely shuts down set up sweepers, hazard setters, you name it, giving you plenty of momentum as your enemy is rendered helpless as you pound away at their HP or force them to switch out. Psyshock is your main STAB option, allowing your attack to bypass the SpDef gained from AV users such as Tornadus-T, Raikou and Azumarill. Shadow Ball provides decent neutral coverage, letting you nab Mega Metagross, the Latis and other Psychic types. Focus Blast dents Steels and Dark types alike, such as Ferrothorn, Heatran, Tyranitar and Bisharp on the switchin.

In conclusion, Mega Alakazam is just fantastic. Its base speed of 150 makes it a prime candidate for an anti-offense Pokemon, with a mighty SpA stat armed and ready to do the dirty work. Trace can help turn the tide of the battle in your favor if you get a favorable Trace, such as Sheer Force, Multiscale or hell, just get Magic Guard back from opposing Alakazam!

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch

I'm just gonna nom Dragonite, cause it's my favourite dragon and I'd like to see how people build around it.

Choice Band Dragonite can function as a wallbreaker as well as a revenge killer and late-game cleaner thanks to Extreme Speed. Thunder Punch is nice for getting rid of Azumarill and Skarmory, but it could also potentially be switched out for Iron Head / Iron Tail in order to turn Dragonite into a fairy lure for another mon. It's typing also synergizes well defensively with a good number of OU's steel types.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

DDNite is often an overlooked OU sweeper. With the abundance of fairies and arguably-better DDers (CharX, M-Altaria, M-Gyara), DDNite's ORAS days have been rough. Yet, DDNite has few perks under his sleeves...particularly two advantages: doesn't take a mega slot and extreme speed. With good team supports (i.e. ridding of hazard, counters and checks), it can be ana amazing pokemon. It's a fat, orange-fucking dragon that looks huggable.

Bisharp @ Blackglasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 atk / 4 def / 252 spe
Jolly nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords dance

SD Bish is a very good threat in the meta, able to take on alot of threats with just a little prediction. BlackGlasses allows it it sweep without LO killing it, and a jolly nature helps V non +spe MAlts, who can KO or get a CG up if you don't outspeed, and max spe TTar. It can even break it's checks at +2 if they're worn down.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind
- Taunt

Calm Mind Taunt Keldeo. This is similar to the Sub CM set but with Taunt it shits on stall even more imo, being able to taunt phazers. The only relevant phazer this really has to worry about is defensive chomp(i think, im probably forgetting something) but that wont appreciate a +1 scald. Taunt is also good just for screwing with hazard setters as well, something Sub CM can't do either.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 68 Atk / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Rash Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Rock Polish

Rp mega Diancie is one of my favourite poke in this metagame, because she can work well as a wallbreaker as well as a late game cleaner, thanks to her raw power and almost unresisted coverage (ferrothorn). Max satk to maximize the moonblast damage, 188 evs in speed are enough to outspeed jolly excadrill under the sand after a rock polish boost, the leftovers in atk for diamond storm.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Mold Breaker Choice Scarf Excadrill is by far my favorite Excadrill set. It can really plow through teams without a Flying-type, and if they do, you can predict the switch and go for Rock Slide. It is also a spinner, and although it is a shaky spinner because you don't want to get locked into it, it can still get that job done. When you have weakened a team and removed the Flying-type(s), Excadrill can often clean through the team with Earthquake. If you pair it up wth a sand setter, you also get the troll of the year award.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn

One of the best OU tanks with a very good typing without weakness to entry hazzards. Something we can all like. Great damage. Great ability and overal great pokémon.
A nice starter to any team.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Soft Sand
EVs: 56 HP / 220 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Double Dance Landorus-Therian is one of the most underrated sets in the entire Over Used meta, not right now, but of all time in my opinion. Being able to excel against both Offense with Rock Polish, and Stall with Swords Dance, along with fantastic coverage in Edge Quake make it quite a devastating wall-breaker / sweeper in OU.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Landorus-I gone? No problem, we've got an equally hard hitter here. M-Gardevoir functions really well vs slower, bulkier teams and it enjoys shutting down stall team almost single handedly. It hits really hard with Pixilate plus its monstrous 165 base SpA and is definitely one of the more underappreciated mons right now and will definitely rise in usage.

Nobody Nominated Talonflame so here goes:
Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt

Description: Taunt+Wil-O-Wisp Talonflame is amazing atm. It's able to shut down quite a few Pokémon if rocks are kept off the field and crippling them with Wil-O-Wisp. Taunt helps it shut down quite a few Pokémon on stall teams. Being SpDef will cause Talonflame to miss out on some KOs even with SE Brave Bird but it will be able to give teams which have trouble with stall something to fight with making it a pretty good Stallbreaker in OU atm.

Last edited:
My votes are based on what I think is easiest to build around in the current metagame. M-Gardevoir is a stupidly powerful wall breaker that just smashes through all sorts of balance teams. Weakness to priority and offense in general is really easy to take care of with a host of mons. Serperior sits at an amazing speed tier with all the coverage it needs to be effective and respectable bulk to boot. Would prefer to see Taunt or Giga Drain in the last moveslot, but its not enough to keep me from voting for it.

Vote 1: Analytic's Gardevoir
Vote 2: Celticpride's Serperior

Gimmick

Electric potential
Would love to see Volcarona
Votes not following the protocol are ignored.
lol

Celticpride's Serperior - Serperior is an interesting Pokemon because there are a lot of options when building around it because of Hidden Power options as well as the awesome offensive pressure it provides. Already leaning towards this one as my first vote.

HUARGH's Heatran - Lure Heatran is an interesting choice for a first Pokemon since it's sort of a role reversal. Rather than start with a Pokemon that likes lure support, we'd be starting with a lure and finding Pokemon that can abuse it. Seems interesting.

-Clone-'s Gyarados - Cheri Berry Gyarados is one of my favorite sets, but SR weakness means it's gonna need team support if we plan on building around it. Also a lure, so it'd be fun to suggest a TG Water/Ice/Grass Manaphy to abuse the weakening of Water resists as well as killing off Ferrothorn.

-Voltage-'s Volcarona - Not a fan of Leftovers bulky Volc in ORAS. Hard enough to get a Quiver Dance and the power is just underwhelming without a Life Orb sometimes. Also can't set up on Ferrothorn or Clefable in fear of status. Maybe if it was a different set I'd vote for it.

DarkNostalgia's Dragalge - Having Toxic Spikes right off the bat seems pretty awesome. It makes things like SubCM Mega Lati a lot better and already has a good matchup vs Stall. Thinking of voting for this as my 2nd choice.

Vengeance417's Alakazam - Not a fan of building around Megas that aren't already in a core, especially ones that are getting hyped. Would have voted for this like 2 months ago.

Jeronado's CB Dragonite - Never used this in ORAS before so I don't know how effective it is. Rock weakness + Outrage makes fairies really annoying. Not particular towards this set.

lordkira's Lum berry Dragonite - DD Lum Berry Dragonite, imo, is much better in ORAS since it can pick off weakened fairies without predicting anything. Would be interesting to build around, but I got bored of Lum DDnite from seeing it so much in BW.

s0me1 b0red's Bisharp - The face of HO, so it's kinda boring to me. Obviously easy to build around since it doesn't require much team support at all and is a great win condition, but the commonality of it turns me off.

Noved's Keldeo - Taunt CM Keldeo is a set that I've never seen before and actually really like the idea. Non psychic move Slowbro actually loses to it and it's an excellent Stallbreaker. This actually has my attention and competition with Celticpride's Serperior.

Barge's Diancie - Don't like non 252+ Spe Diance at all. Not outspeeding Keldeo sucks. I like bulky RP Modest Landorus, but that's because it really doesn't outspeed too many important things anyway. Diancie can afford to run 252+ Spe since it still destroys offense after a RP and resists Brave Bird + Sucker Punch so the added bulk isn't necessary. The spread let me down on this one.

Ksh13's Excadrill - Not a fan of Scarf Drill. Having Rapid Spin support will probably cause people to not include other means of hazard control, so our best form of hazard control would be Scarf Rapid Spin.

Kurizu's Pivot Lando-T - Same as Bisharp, kinda boring.

Dr. Ciel's Double Dance Lando-T - More interesting than Pivot Lando-T and a great win con, but it faces too much competition from Taunt CM Keldeo and Serperior.

Analytic's Gardevoir - Same as Alakazam, but a bit more interesting. Would have maybe voted for this 3 months ago.

Mentalist Swag's Talonflame - I don't really like the idea of starting with a Stallbreaker. CM Keldeo is still great vs Balance and offense but it's also a stallbreaker.

So, the bolded parts are the ones that I like, but there are 4 so this is a dilemma. In the end, I think I'll go with:
Vote 1: Noved's Keldeo

Last edited:
Vote 1: Dr. Ciel's Double Dance Lando-T
Vote 2: DarkNostalgia's Dragalge

HUARGH you may want to update the topic title to reflect that voting has started. You can just put "[Voting Stage]" or something like that after the title, and then change it to "[Submission Stage]" or something like that after.

jay

I’m thinking bout changing the culture
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Vote 1: Analytic's Gardevoir

Vote 1: Jeronado's CB dragonite
Vote 2: lordkira's lum berry dragonite

Since I've been talking about Dragonite everywhere for a while, I'd like to see it as a threat again.

Vote 1: -Voltage-'s Volcarona

I love set-up and these are two of my favorite mons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)