Finals Official Smogon Tournament XI - Finals [Won by WhiteQueen]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That's too much complex to be done
I think that bpass + boosting move is a better idea because it cuts off every sneaky stuff like smashpass, quickpass, geopass, quiverpass, tgpass and every other subpar strat. SD/CM/plot pass can be sacrificed for the good's sake (I consider np pass on diancie as awful as quickpass but w/e) while ur innocent Celebi/sylveon are safe in this way (banning bpass as whole would be better but people want it so..)

Anyway grats whitequeen :^)
All of those bar tgpass (lol volbeat in OU) involve speed...

As much as I would have liked to see blunder win with good plays, I did enjoy the teams of whitequeen more tbh.
Well deserved trophy.

Btw let´s stop the bp bashing or move it to another thread. What comes next? blaming ost winners for using "uberzzz"? ridiculous!

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
This whole implication that I got outplayed by blunder is a bit exaggerated. How exactly did I get outplayed? Explain or be quiet please. Game one I played about as well as it gets. There was no need for me to make any risky plays when I just needed to play solidly to wear his team down.

Game two, his whole team checked Serperior, yet I had my regal snake in a position to win, if that Leaf Storm didn't miss. That froze I inflicted on his Ttar was the only lucky break I got. The Hydro crit was inconsequential, as that cotton ball just healed itself back.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Gonna start running Flatter with a CB TTar to trap every Celebi if we ban BP + boosts tbh

Congrats Whitequeen, knew you had it in you!

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Gratz WhitQueen, knew all that Style bullshit and the new brackets were just delaying the inevitable so I didn't even bother following them.

dEnIsSsS

'scuse me while i kiss this guy
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Dr. Zeni$: how would you rate my Evil Doer team and plays?

The last game was aids, I admit. Blunder's team was aids and so was mine. The first two games were worth an Oscar though.
WhiteQueen I liked your team. An offensive build with an Espeon + Scolipede core slapped into it (as the team's main win condition) with no team support at all (such as screens, tailwind, memento etc) is something that I've been testing too, however it is extremely match up reliant as you've said before. Scolipede is very passive and, since it lacks Spore or Taunt, there are many ways to shut it down. A Volt Switch user + a strong Special attacker (or just a Gardevoir / Specs Sylveon, seeing as they bypass Substitute with Hyper Voice) seems devastating because of the lack of screens, which means that Espeon will have to take a massive hit before it can even start to set up with Calm Mind. Sure you can try and save them for the late game, but it isn't always possible to do it (your opponent can also try to save their strong special attacker(s) just to shut down any bp attempt you may try). The core is also annoyed by a SD Scizor with Bug Bite. Scizor can set up alongside Scolipede and then it can just kill Espeon with Bug Bite + Bullet Punch, while surviving a +0 Stored Power.

I could see what you did with the remaing team slots. Landorus-t and Raikou are popular emergency checks to pratically everything (lando checks physical threats and Raikou checks special threats), Diancie is a nice scouter with protect and is usually a solid choice for offensive builds like this one. Being able to kill a non Natural Gift Talonflame is very good as well and it synergizes nicely with Breloom (playing mind games with your opponent's stealth rock user can prevent him from laying his hazards, which means it can keep your Breloom's and your Landorus' Sashes intact). Breloom can also shut down any dangerous offensive threat and can deal with Bisharp (kind of). So I guess your team could handle most threats as long as you outplay your opponent, but the Scolipass might fail due to the lack of screens (the lack of Light Screen really hurts).

About the match itself, I think that you played perfectly fine since you clearly had a match up advantage and Blunder team was just too passive. I just think he misplayed by not bringing Skarmory imediatally against Scolipede, so you managed to get more than just +2 Def +1 Spe. I'm not sure if Blunder's Excadrill had a Choice Scarf, but a Jolly Choice Scarf Excadrill could've outsped a +1 84 Spe Espeon (most people run no speed investment at all, but I can see you just copied my GeoPass spread, designed especifically to outspeed an Adamant Excadrill) and he could have tried to flinch / crit hax you to death with Iron Head.

edit: I've been told Blunder's Excadrill was specially defensive with Toxic, so he had an even higher chance to beat that Espeon

Last edited:
I actually have something interesting to say. I was trying to help McMeghan after I read his post in the Smogon Tour thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-tour-19.3531099/page-10#post-6204530. People didn't give much attention to BP (until very recently) because it wasn't used in relevant tournaments at all (it was merely considered a cancerous strat from the ladder or something like that). I had to abuse this play style in Smogon Tour so people could realize how broken BP can be even in the tournament scene, and I'm quite pleased that I was such an inspiration for Whitequeen that she brought it to an OST finals.

So yeah I suggested McMeghan to modify the current OU Baton Pass clause into this one:

"A pokemon cannot use the move Baton Pass if its speed stat is higher than +0 (excluding choice scarf)".

This Baton Pass Clause could also be applied to BW and DPP. As you know, the widely considered "broken" Baton Pass strategies are Full Baton Pass chains, Smash Pass (BW, ORAS), Gliscor Pass (DPP), Scolipass (ORAS) and GeoPass (ORAS). If there is any similarity between all these different teams is that all of them rely in passing speed boosts. Full Baton Pass chains are broken because they rely on Speed boosts and defensive boosts, so attacking moves aren't (most of the time) enough to break through the opposing team setting up strategy, since the Baton Pass player moves first (most of the time), you can't check/counter determined member of the chain since it can just switch out into a different one prepared to deal with whatever threat you had out. Quick Passing teams are hard to deal with because, due to screens support (and/or Memento-Tailwind support), it is quite easy to set up and pass a single, decisive boost into a potent sweeper. What makes dealing with the sweeper an impossible task depending on matchup? The fact that on top of receiving a boost to its already powerful offense it will be faster than anything barring priority.

And hey Blunder, it was McM fault for not dealing with the BP issue earlier, sorry about that lol

I don't think the issue is speed passing per say. I think that some passers are simply far too efficient at passing boosts. At the moment, we have have baton passers capable of boosting faster then any setup sweeper in the game. The best way to nerf baton pass is not with more complex bans, but by recognizing that some BPers are far too powerful for the OU metagame and should be banned. Smeargle is an obvious candidate(because geomancy is dumb), and I still think Scoli should be looked at as well(defense + speed is incredibly potent).

So yeah, screw complex bans, just ban overpowered passers that have no real place in OU anyway.

*edit*

My 800th post has been used to reenter the BP debate yet again... how fitting....

This is the first OST I'm following and the least I can say is that it was not boring.

Congratulations to both players they both deserved the win but there can be only one winner so congratulations to the Queen.

Blunder you were a beast in those games but this is what you get for not bringing a heatah fajitah squad in finals :pimp:

Respect for both players!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)