Resource Creative and Underrated Sets: ORAS Edition (NO SHITTY GIMMICKS, Read Post #419)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Smogon community, I wanna share an interesting set which could work very well.

Anti-Lead Azelf

Azelf @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Ground
- Fire Blast

This set is a lure Azelf obviously. Contrary to Azelf's usual role as a stealth rocker, this Azelf was meant to lure in common leads. Most common stealth rock leads is likely to feel secure as most Azelf prioritize to set up rocks and would be comfortable to stay in expecting a Steath Rock move.

The moveset is explainatory. Dazzling Gleam 2HKO's Mega Sableye and lead Garchomp. Grass Knot hits Hippodown extremely hard. HP Ground hits Heatran and Fire Blast of course hits Skarm or Ferrothorn. This set was meant to weaken those mons to the very least to support its teammates.
Example is how Bisharp and M-Loppuny benefits from getting Hippo/Chomp weakened and so the list goes on. With its coverage its a decent late game cleaner and could hit other possible leads hard such as Breloom or Mamoswine.

On the other note, a Hasty nature could be used in conjunction with Iron Tail to replace one of the any moves above, which actually 2HKO's standard Magic Guard Clefable/ Ko's M-Diancie / M-Gardevoir. The shaky accuracy of Iron Tail however is a great concern.

At the very least the Azelf set could work. Kinda gimmicky but it has its uses I suppose. Thank You. Dont beat on me please >_<. I dont know whether other people has innovated on this set yet / post it on this thread.

Relevant Calcs:
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 348-410 (82.8 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 432-509 (122.7 - 144.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 226-269 (58.7 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: 146-173 (48 - 56.9%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Garchomp: 216-254 (51.4 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Azelf Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 374-442 (111.9 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Expert Belt Azelf Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 218-259 (55.3 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Expert Belt Azelf Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 286-338 (103.2 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Expert Belt Azelf Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 384-456 (159.3 - 189.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
If you are only hitting heatran with HP ground then why don't you just use HP steel. Then you can fit another move on it

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
If you are only hitting heatran with HP ground then why don't you just use HP steel. Then you can fit another move on it
If you want to hit diancie, you may as well use iron tail. Heatran is typically hard to get rid of, and it checks lots and lots of things. It's a common early game mon because of how often it is used to set rocks. That gives azelf rxtra utility, as it can heavily damage heatran right off the bat.

If you want to hit diancie, you may as well use iron tail. Heatran is typically hard to get rid of, and it checks lots and lots of things. It's a common early game mon because of how often it is used to set rocks. That gives azelf rxtra utility, as it can heavily damage heatran right off the bat.
I guess that's true. I just don't think iron tail is a good move in general. I even think knock off is better to run to hit Tran with. Knocking off leftovers is crippling enough and knock off has good utility in general. Not that HP steel is a great move or anything. I just don't think HP ground is worth it. But if the team is weak to Tran then I guess it's a good option

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is the lack of STAB on this Azelf not an issue? I would think it struggles to hit anything it doesn't hit for super effective damage. Frankly, when someone sees Azelf in team preview, they often assume it will be the lead, so they lead with an anti-Azelf Pokemon. Plenty of these common mons, such as Tornadus-T, Tyranitar, still beat this set. Do you have any replays to demonstrate its potency?

Stallbreaker / Lurerachi.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 124 SpA / 132 Spe
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt/Thunder/Water Pulse

I hope that this set is not too gimmick; in any case, with this set Jirachi can easily setup front stall team. The evs spread in speed allows outspeed Mega Heracross and Mega Pinsir before they evolve.
Skill Swap; It is a nice solution against Heatran to make sure to be untouchable and avoid burn and stuff by pokemon like as Sableye mega LOL.
The evs spread in spatk, allows Jirachi to 2kho Chansey with psyshock after 3 calm mind.

The last slot, be a good solution to hit Steel types pokemon. With water pulse can count on serene grace to cunfuse the oppo e hit strong Heatran and ground type pokemon like as Hippowdon, Gliscor and defensive Landorus.

Other options: Hp ground is a good solution to kill easy Heatran and stuff like as Bisharp. but lost coverage vs stall and pokemon like as Skarmory and pokemon steel random...

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Yawn
- Slack Off

Standard mixed defensive Hippowdon but with a cool twist. The third slot for Hippowdon has always been a filler. Stone Edge is the most used one to deal with Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Thundurus etc. but my team didn't fear Talonflame that much so the other options were Toxic, Whirlwind and I wasn't quite happy with them as I didnt need Rotom-W status'd since my Talonflame had Will-O-Wisp. Whirlwind was really passive and really RNG based; you might not phaze out a Pokemon that you don't like to be in. Enter: Yawn. Yawn is very useful and unexpected on Hippowdon, it allows you to make your opponent choose 2 options: sleep or switch so it's like a pseudo phazing move that doesn't rely on luck and the opponent chooses what does he want to do and you can predict correctly what's going to come in. It also doesn't steal your momentum; for example, if Thundurus goes for hp ice on the switch and does 40% to you, you can Yawn first instead of Slack Off and probably deal with Thundurus or something on the switch, get more leftovers recovery and more hazard damage on the opponent. It also kind of deals with the birds, not in itself, it just makes them to sleep, but after sleep you get 1 sure free turn so you can go to something else and finish the job, as 1 turn wake doesn't exist. Here's a decent replay I got when I got time to ladder: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-240907517 (yes it's Stoutland and a Forretress leave me alone I like using shit pokemon) you can see on it how Yawn was really useful even if I just used it once; it allowed me to have a free switch to my Stoutland (debatably since he could've killed it with Thunderbolt, but he needed to be a lord to go for that) and esentially get a kill with hazards up. That's all I've got to say for now. Enjoy if you decide to use it :)

EDIT: Oh also forgot to tell that it deals with the last pokemon unlike Whirlwind, which can't solve the problem.

Last edited:

Tornadus (M) @ Red Card
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

I think that Tornadus is a great physical sweeper, that holds its own niche in the meta, with its unique 111 speed tier and ability to sweep through unprepared teams, as well as serving for a great check against Landorus-T. The crux of this set is its use of Defiant, Bulk Up and Red Card in tandem to be able to pull off amazing boosts and serve as a provider of the Acrobatics Boosts. Acrobatics is the main attacking move gaining STAB and 110 base power after Red Card is activated. Superpower serves as its main coverage tool, hitting Rock and Steels that resist Acrobatics and many Electrics neutrally. Knock Off is there for extra power and utility, including being able to kill the Latis.
EDIT: Changed to Defiant thanks Toljik

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nice set, but what is the purpose of Red Card? If you are using Acrobatics, your much better off going itemless as you should only be coming in and setting up on on things that you force out anyway while Red Card becomes counterproductive if you get hit on switch-in due to not only forcing your opponent out of the thing that you aim to set up on, but also risking it sending your opponent into the thing that can force you out, meaning that you just have to switch out again or take a hefty chunk of damage. Red Card isn't worth it due to just how inconsistent it is.

Also, you could get an extra stat point in attack while still minimising SR damage if you change the EV investment to 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe.

Nice set, but what is the purpose of Red Card? If you are using Acrobatics, your much better off going itemless as you should only be coming in and setting up on on things that you force out anyway while Red Card becomes counterproductive if you get hit on switch-in due to not only forcing your opponent out of the thing that you aim to set up on, but also risking it sending your opponent into the thing that can force you out, meaning that you just have to switch out again or take a hefty chunk of damage. Red Card isn't worth it due to just how inconsistent it is.

Also, you could get an extra stat point in attack while still minimising SR damage if you change the EV investment to 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe.
I like the Red Card, since it allows it to force switches to be a good side by side booster with Dragon Dancers, Swords Dancers and other mons that it can absorb a hit from. I have found the most success versus teams that have Lando-T since it nets me a free boost from Defiant and often allows me to get free boosts off the bait that Stone Edge would KO me, but it doesn't. I do think that the spread would probably be better for that extra ATK point.

So, I think by now most people know the Whimsicott bulky pivot set. Here's a different set I like to provide support to offense teams:

Whimsicott @ Red Card
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tailwind / Trick Room / Stun Spore
- Taunt
- Cotton Guard
- Memento

Cotton Guard, though a useless move ordinarily, here allows Whimsicott to phaze almost anything physically apart from things with flying priority - having defense well in excess of anything in OU. With it's high natural speed and Prankster you can get Cotton Guard in before any normal Scizor variants Bullet Punch (not Jolly Mega Scizor, but that's a rarity - you can run 24 speed EVs if outspeeding it is really important to you), and Mega Metagross can't OHKO with it even at +1 from a circumstantial Meteor Mash boost as won't Mega Medicham. This is great when the crap has hit the fan and you're opponent squeaked in a set up turn and has KOed something, and they're now threatening a sweep. Let's have a look:

+4 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 230-272 (70.9 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+4 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 268-320 (82.7 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 234-276 (72.2 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 204-242 (62.9 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 224-266 (69.1 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 128-152 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Punch vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 195-229 (60.1 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 254-300 (78.3 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 272-320 (83.9 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 244-291 (75.3 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 258-306 (79.6 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I think this demonstrates adequately it's crazy defense, though for some of these examples (+1 Zard X for example) Memento would be the better option. Once phazed, you can then use whatever move suits your needs to gain momentum - and the opponent will have a much harder time getting that same mon back in to set up. Tailwind will give you a speed advantage, so if for example Starmie rolled out from the Red Card you could get the Tailwind in first with Prankster and let it Whimsicott fall from Ice Beam - enjoying 3 turns of doubled speed for something else (at the very least you can Tailwind then Memento, to enjoy two turns of blazing speed). If there's a strong special or physical attacker, you can completely nuke it with Memento - allowing for easy set up. If there's a stallish mon that you feel will harass you, Taunt it and then Tailwind, Memento or switch.

There's also extra subtleties here, for example if you're sure on a Talonflame switch in you can Tailwind on the switch and then your Cotton Guard/Memento will be faster than it's Brave Bird. Trick Room is there if you're feeling particularly fruity (like me), lasting longer than Tailwind but also necessitating that you take a hit because of its reduced priority - which you may not be able to do in front of a special attacker. Priority Memento is always useful - I've had a fair few fights where it's ended up Whimsicott, one of my other pokemon and the opponent having a check to that pokemon. By using Memento, you can quickly turn what was a check into a easy win for yourself. Just make sure you don't hit Bisharp or Serperior with it.

I guess there is always sashed Alakazam or Rocky Helmet Garchomp/Ferrothorn you can use to deal with boosted threats - but Zam is a little lacklustre in terms of power so you may not get the KO, and likewise you may not incur enough residual damage with Garchomp or Ferrothorn. Plus they're both defensive measures - they do nothing to shift momentum in your favour as you'd want running offense like Whimsicott definitely can do with Tailwind/Memento.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I've been experimenting with a new set and I absolutely love this set so I thought I would share it with you guys.

Landorus-Therian @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Smack Down
- Earthquake

Just as a note the EV spread speed creeps things that speed creep things that speed creep Bisharp (in case you're confused, it hits 265 speed). I forgot the standard offensive Lando-T spread so this is the one I have been using but if there's a better one let me know and I'll edit it. Anyway onto the set itself.

Basic premise is that this set is a powerful balance breaker than can still set up rocks on Mega Sableye. Normally SD + Lum Garchomp was kinda the go to offensive breaker for that purpose for a while but Lando offers a few advantages. Firstly its typing + intimidate allows it to set up against other pokemon more easily especially if something locks itself into a ground or fighting type move or something. Secondly, Garchomp cannot learn the move Smack Down. Most of the things that wall Landorus-T rely on their immunity to Earthquake to do so - think other Lando-Ts, Gliscor, Rotom-Wash, Skarmory, and things like that. If you click Smack Down on the switch, you will force them to switch back out which often gives you a free Swords Dance.

Lum Berry gives you a lot more setup opportunities than usual as well, since many things try to hit Lando-T with a Toxic or a Will-O-Wisp (most Rotoms go for this against me since the team I'm using it on doesn't really have anything to take a burn and I can switch into Pump more easily). It's also great for taking on bulky water types that click Scald against you, since you are guaranteed to heal the burn and get off at least a +2 attack against them (unless they switch in on your original SD in which case you get 2 attacks off provided you can live a Scald). I've even 2HKO'd Brelooms that switched into my SD and tried to Spore me.

252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 222-264 (66.4 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 276-326 (91 - 107.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 160-190 (45.4 - 53.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal

+2 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 321-378 (91.1 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

-1 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 102-120 (26.7 - 31.4%) -- 20.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 228-268 (59.6 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I've actually played a lot of games with this set now but have been forgetting to save the replays. There is some prediction required to beat certain balance teams but regardless this set puts on a massive amount of pressure.

Last edited:
Here's another set I'm having fun with, a slight tweak on the current standard for this set:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Power-Up Punch

Essentially, set up sub on something you can force out, then paralyse the opposition, then set up and/or flinch hax them to death - using sub again whenever they break through so you can avoid status and taking real damage. Though Fire Punch and Ice Punch are better coverage, Power-Up Punch allows you to reverse Intimidate drops by Lando switch-ins and raise attack in general to make you a formidable power house. Further, it allows for a solid option against Rocky Helmet users who could otherwise wear you down - get your attack up a bit, stall by using sub for some turns whilst your health recovers, then go at them again. Repeat until they faint. Additionally, it still hits harder than Iron Head or Body Slam on steels and you can use it easily once the opponent is in the KO range for an instant boost.

EVs are for 101 HP subs, and to outspeed slower Megas (Heracross, Scizor, Ttar), Breloom, Bisharp, defensive Landorus, tank Garchomp and to speed creep 200 speed Gliscor which to me felt like an important mark to make (literally the difference between potentially flinch haxxing him to faint, or him likely countering you with his superior Poison Heal and speed tie EQ - when push comes to shove going for the creep is worth it, as unlikely as that match up is).

Thunder Wave can be used over Body Slam, but you miss out on paralysing ground types - a huge draw of the set.

Last edited:
Made a few tweaks to Bulk Up Talonflame.

Talonflame (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Acrobatics

Basically the biggest difference is the addition of Acrobatics over Brave Bird. Acrobatics allows Talonflame to spam a strong ass move without taking damage afterwards. Rather than going for a no item set, I gave it a Sitrus Berry to give it some healing and allow it to use Acrobatics at full power. Finally I addedan EV in HP to make it an even number. Talonflame can now switch into Stealth Rocks and take half damage once, allowing it to survive a bit longer.

Last edited:

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Adamant LO Garchomp is a cool set I used in WCOP; I believe I also saw user: Frizy use LO Garchomp too, and I hope to see a lot more of these running around, because honestly this set is such a monster against the bulky offense/balance-infested meta that we're currently in.

Aubrey's Spirit Animal (Garchomp) @

Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Earlier in ORAS I had played around w/ SD Garchomp-Mega, just due to the appeal of its staggering base attack stat. Obviously, the opportunity cost of giving up your Mega slot, and having to typically pair it w/ Sand was a big turn-off, so I ditched the idea. Months later, at the beginning of WCOP, I immediately set to building a team for the person who I considered to by my most dangerous opponent, Tom Bus; I had to think of any possible heavy hitters or breakers that could push through his favoured bulky offense/balance builds.

Enter LO Adamant SD Garchomp. I personally love max speed Adamant Garchomp, since it sits in a comfortable speed tier for the metagame, outpacing base 100s that would usually prefer to use Attack-boosting natures (such as Charizard-Y n' Gardevoir), Jolly Excadrill, Kyurem-B, n' all the stuff down from there. Moreover, the damage output compared to Jolly is usually pretty big, given Garchomp's naturally huge base Attack stat. I'd used Adamant on both Scarf sets and bulky SR + SD sets (I posted the latter in this thread about a month or two ago), but this time I wanted to turn the power up to the maximum. I originally started playing around with Dragon Gem to see if it could adequately lure Hippowdon or Landorus-T, but realized later that Dragon Gem only had a 1.3x boost this Gen, so why not go all in w/ Life Orb here? In a meta where it was extremely easy for a Physical Pokemon with a good (Ground, especially) typing and solid natural bulk to boost (for example, many Hippowdon lacking Whirlwind, Landorus-T forgoing the BW tech in HP Ice for Stone Edge, a plethora of Choiced Electric-types like Zone n' Raikou, and just miscellaneous stuff like Ttar, Heatran, n' Bulky waters everywhere), I found that Garchomp could grab set-up vs. a lot of builds rather easily, and clean with minimal team support.

This set began as SD + 3 attacks, with two Dragon STABs (Outrage for power and DClaw for consistency/weakened foes), but my particular build had no Stealth Rocks, so I kinda had to incorporate it over DClaw. Two Dragon STABs is definitely a cool option though, and I'd implore you guys to try it out if interested, or Stone Edge so you're not completely walled by Togekiss (I believe Stone Edge at +2 can grab the clean 2HKO on Skarmory, as well, although that particular scenario probably won't come up much). Dragon Rush > Outrage is also an option; I implemented this particular change since my team was weak to BD Azu, which could grab a boost on Outrage-locked Garchomp, but it's also cool in general if your opponent likes to pivot. Of course, the accuracy is an issue, but Dragon Rush does grab a lot of extra KOs that DClaw doesn't, and apparently it has a flinch chance too, so cool cool.

So yeah, I made a team w/ this and tested it a bunch, both with teammates and other WCOP players, and it (or maybe just the team in general .-.) performed exceedingly well, until I got smoked by Soulwind in my first actual match. I really wanted to at least get one win with the team though, so I continued to use it, and ended up getting a great matchup opportunity against Get this Money in my second match, where Garchomp got 5 kills (replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-72370). Pardon to Get this Money if you see this, no harm meant, and I recognize that I got a pretty good matchup here, haha. But that goes to show how brutal Garchomp can be against balanced builds in the current meta, especially ones lacking Fairies, but those can be handled with adequate team support or by using Dragon Rush.

Here's a dump of calcs assuming an SD, in no particular order. Keep in mind that I used a lot of max/max+ for the defending Pokemon, and many of the Pokemon in the calcs don't use max/max+, so these are basically the worst case scenarios for Garchomp, and it still comes up with a staggering amount of OHKOs.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def
: 376-445 (95.4 - 112.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
: 348-411 (95.6 - 112.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
Outrage vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def
: 383-452 (126.4 - 149.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
: 344-407 (97.1 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb burned
Outrage vs. 248 HP / 0 Def
: 370-437 (103 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
: 376-445 (93 - 110.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
: 367-433 (90.8 - 107.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
Outrage vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def
: 399-472 (95 - 112.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
: 359-422 (85.4 - 100.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb
: 324-382 (84.8 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
: 344-407 (85.1 - 100.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
: 351-413 (92.3 - 108.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
: 464-547 (86.8 - 102.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
: 159-187 (47.6 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
: 265-313 (68.8 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
: 209-246 (60.9 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
Outrage vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def
: 187-221 (53.1 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 409-484 (103.8 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def
: 348-411 (101.4 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def
: 313-370 (88.9 - 105.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def
: 347-409 (82.6 - 97.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def
: 382-450 (94.5 - 111.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb
Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def
: 286-339 (94 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

e: to bludz up there, you could try gravity too c: don't know how it'll actually go, but sounds like a cool thing to try

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Made a few tweaks to Bulk Up Talonflame.

Talonflame (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Acrobatics

Basically the biggest difference is the addition of Acrobatics over Brave Bird. Acrobatics allows Talonflame to spam a strong ass move without taking damage afterwards. Rather than going for a no item set, I gave it a Sitrus Berry to give it some healing and allow it to use Acrobatics at full power. Finally I addedan EV in HP to make it an even number. Talonflame can now switch into Stealth Rocks and take half damage once, allowing it to survive a bit longer.
Isn't this just the standard Bulk Up Talonflame set with worse EVs, a worse nature and Sitrus Berry to make Acrobatics unreliable? Itemless BU Talonflame with Acrobatics is commonly known to be very viable due to the increased longevity provided by Acro's lack of recoil, and giving it Sitrus Berry just means you are stuck with a weak AF move until you get down to half HP - which shouldn't really be happening for a while with BU Talonflame - or it switches into SR - which you shouldn't be doing with Talon unless you absolutely have to.

Without Sitrus, you are infinitely better off with a spread of 248 HP as it allows you to switch into SR twice as opposed to once, giving you more chances to come in under circumstances where hazard removal is not possible. Finally, if you are using BU, you are DEFINITELY better off with careful as it allows Talonflame to take hits significantly better than with adamant (even though it is only a 1.1x boost, you can really feel the difference when taking on special attackers).

Its not a bad set per se, but what you have listed certainly is a mostly suboptimal way of utilising Talonflame due to the unreliability provided by Sitrus+Acro combo and the rather poor placement of EVs and choice of nature.

Isn't this just the standard Bulk Up Talonflame set with worse EVs, a worse nature and Sitrus Berry to make Acrobatics unreliable? Itemless BU Talonflame with Acrobatics is commonly known to be very viable due to the increased longevity provided by Acro's lack of recoil, and giving it Sitrus Berry just means you are stuck with a weak AF move until you get down to half HP - which shouldn't really be happening for a while with BU Talonflame - or it switches into SR - which you shouldn't be doing with Talon unless you absolutely have to.

Without Sitrus, you are infinitely better off with a spread of 248 HP as it allows you to switch into SR twice as opposed to once, giving you more chances to come in under circumstances where hazard removal is not possible. Finally, if you are using BU, you are DEFINITELY better off with careful as it allows Talonflame to take hits significantly better than with adamant (even though it is only a 1.1x boost, you can really feel the difference when taking on special attackers).

Its not a bad set per se, but what you have listed certainly is a mostly suboptimal way of utilising Talonflame due to the unreliability provided by Sitrus+Acro combo and the rather poor placement of EVs and choice of nature.
The nature was a typo, fixed.

Having those EVs and Sitrus berry is very situational, because sometimes, as you said, you absolutely have to take SR damage. You can't just switch in your spinner and call it a day, most of the times your opponent will make sure you don't clear hazzards, and that's where a bit of extra health helps out alot. It also turns some 2HKOs into 3HKOs, allowing you to set up on more things.

Acrobatics is already weak af early and you WILL be taking damage, unless your opponent is setting up as well, in that why would you even stay in (unless you win the matchup)

Last edited:

Martin

Having those EVs and Sitrus berry is very situational, because sometimes, as you said, you absolutely have to take SR damage. You can't just switch in your spinner and call it a day, most of the times your opponent will make sure you don't clear hazzards, and that's where a bit of extra health helps out alot. It also turns some 2HKOs into 3HKOs, allowing you to set up on more things.
Just saying, but an extra 1 HP does not turn any 2HKOs into 3HKOs. Hell - if it makes a difference by reducing, say, a 50% chance to a 49% chance to 2HKO chance or something, that ground is literally covered by a roll of a grand total of an extra 1 HP. This means that the spread will only ever make an actually notable difference when you still have your sitrus in tact, which means you could potentially be left witha 55 BP Acrobatics for a long time while being screwed over if you're forced to switch into
Acrobatics is already weak af early and you WILL be taking damage, unless your opponent is setting up as well, in that why would you even stay in (unless you win the matchup)
The key difference here is that Acrobatics can actually deal somewhat meaningful damage to something early on without Sitrus, while you are left with a move weaker than Aerial Ace until you eat your sitrus or have it knocked off. In addition, when Sitrus would be useful, Roost would usually be just as useful due to the combination of Priority and not sacrificing consistency on your only attacking move. This is why it is a generally suboptimal option, as in, like, 99% of scenarios you'd be better off making yourself take 49% from SR (to switch in twice if you don't get the chance to roost) with no item to ensure that you have a max power Acro at all times and roosting off if you get to a point where sitrus may have helped and Roost is probably just as optimal as the Sitrus.

Once again, I'm not saying that the set is bad. It is just not a very optimal way of utilising Bulk Up Talonflame.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I can actually see Acrobatics Talonflame running Sitrus on teams without hazard removal. SR is pretty much mandatory on any serious team and your opponent will try to get it up to cripple Talonflame, so it will probably have a chance to use the berry.

The berry, not the HP investment, probably does buffer some 2HKOs into 3HKOs thanks to the healing, though I'm too lazy to calc every possible hit to see which ones.

p2

Banned deucer.

Manaphy @ Splash Plate
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance

This is a set I really like, it's standard Stallbreaker Manaphy which can find itself in a shitty matchup against 84 SpD Calm Unaware Clefable, however, Splash Plate boosts the power of Scald, which makes it a lot easier to break past Clefable as it cannot outheal the damage you deal to it, especially if you get a burn. It also makes breaking Ferrothorn much easier as you need less turns of setup to 2HKO it.

252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable in Rain: 148-175 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Splash Plate Manaphy Scald vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable in Rain: 178-211 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

My favorite manaphy set:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 116 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Tail Glow

Sets up substitutes on Chansey, Slowbro and Ferrothorn*.
4 SpA Slowbro Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Manaphy: 84-100 (20.7 - 24.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
Chansey Seismic Toss vs. 252 HP Manaphy: 100-100 (24.7 - 24.7%) -- guaranteed 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
Speed EV's to speed creep things speed creeping Bisharp/Breloom.
*without Power Whip

Martin

Lol lots of stuff about Manaphy.

I guess I'll post about another of those "balanced" (i.e. 100 in all stats) legends ;P

Mew @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 96 Atk / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Low Kick
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

In the past, Mew has been used in basically every way possible, but status absorber has been left out. I've gone part way there by making it a sleep absorber. This is a variant of the offensive lure Mew set which trades Expert Belt out for Safety Goggles. When I made this set, it was because one of my teams both had a big weakness to Breloom and had a hard time breaking through Amoonguss - both of which pack Spore. Therefore, I decided to use Mew to act as a way to reliably take them both on. I gave it Safety Goggles so that it could act as a sleep absorber. I had considered using Overcoat Reuniclus for the job, but I didn't feel that it was fast enough and I didn't feel that its coverage was good enough for the team (as I wanted to have a backup way of dealing with chomper and scizor as well). This set is pretty basic: enough speed to outpace jolly Exca, maxed SpA, rest dropped into attack. Nothing fancy. Low Kick is used as it deals more damage to Tyranitar/Mega Tyranitar than Aura Sphere does (even with the SpA investment), although its disappointing that it doesn't do jack sh*t to Chansey/Blissey 'cause 60 BP. The rest is just pretty standard for a lure set. Psychic is used over Psyshock 'cause power, and Psyshock doesn't do jack sh*t to Chansey anyway soo...

Anyway, as I brought up Reuniclus in that paragraph, I'll post the Overcoat set here too 'cause wynaut?

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball
- Recover

The EVs almost guarantee to live Naive 224 SpA M-Diancie's Moonblast twice from full without SR on the field. Overcoat lets it absorb Spore. This set is more reliant on the Lefties+Recover recovery than the standard set though, so just be careful and try to keep yourself healthy right through the match. It just needs to be played more cautiously than normal.

While I'm talking about Reun, I'll just post a few more sets 'cause I feel like it (and I like Reuniclus). I use it a lot, so I have lots of sets that I have used as it is such a fun 'mon to experiment with. These will have less description 'cause I'm lazy and I'm only posting them here as they are a bit of fun I've had on some of my teams. They are just gonna be in hide tags so that this post isn't too long. Enjoy!
Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpA / 68 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

LO+3 attacks Reun is lots of fun to use due to the increased damage output and more immediate power than standard. You could run TR over any of these moves if you wanted to as well to turn Reuniclus into an OTR 'mon, although it only really works v.s. offensive teams. EVs always live 2 Moonblasts from 224 naive M-Diancie.

Reuniclus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Takes advantage of Regenerator to act as a pivot. Specs+Future Sight lets it rip apart offense. This set acts as a good anti-offense 'mon for offensive and balanced teams, functioning best on bulky offense. EVs just maximise SpA while maxing out its overall bulk. The moveset is pretty self-explanitory, so I'll just post some calcs for fun :)
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Reuniclus Future Sight vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 289-342 (119.9 - 141.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Reuniclus Future Sight vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 286-337 (96.2 - 113.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Reuniclus Future Sight vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 289-342 (99.3 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Reuniclus Future Sight vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 342-403 (102.7 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Reuniclus Future Sight vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 342-403 (101.4 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Reuniclus Future Sight vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 375-442 (133.4 - 157.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Block
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

This variant on the standard CM set is designed to be able to take on CM Slowbro and CM Mega Slowbro better than it normally would by preventing them from healing off all of your damage. It does lose out on coverage, however, which is a drawback.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off / Toxic
- Psychic

Say hi to utility Reuniclus. This set's entire purpose is to act as a way to aid balanced teams which struggle with fast, offensive 'mons. Recover allows it to heal up, Thunder Wave allows it to cripple fast offensive 'mons. The choice between Knock Off and Toxic depends on whether your team benefits more from the passive damage provided by Toxic or the ability to clear away pesky Rocky Helmets, Eviolites and Leftovers from stuff like Skarmory, Garchomp and Chansey. Psychic is just there as a way to deal damage outside of Knock Off and Toxic so that Reuniclus isn't completely passive.

Reuniclus @ Colbur BerryAbility: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

This set just makes Reuniclus sort of act like a mega in that it quote-on-quote "resists" Knock Off by using Colbur Berry to absorb the first hit and then take reduced damage from the rest. It is a variant on the LO+3 attacks set that sacrifices power for a little more defensive utility. Just so that you get a picture of the kind of damage it takes, here are two calcs which compare how much the LO set takes normally with how much the Colbur variant takes:
  • 252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Reuniclus: 428-506 (100.9 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Colbur Berry Reuniclus: 214-253 (50.4 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
What you are looking at there is an OHKO turned into a successful lure and kill with Focus Miss (assuming it hits).

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Grass Knot- Psychic
- Focus Blast / Calm Mind / Recover
- Shadow Ball / Calm Mind / Recover

This last set is designed to outpace Hippowdon and hit it hard with Grass Knot, dealing heavy damage to all variants due to its nifty 120 BP. Here are some calcs to show you the kind of damage it is dealing to Hippowdon:
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 476-562 (113.3 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 411-486 (97.8 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 322-380 (76.6 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This set does give up on bulk though, so be wary of that. Other than that, it functions identically to the LO+3 attacks set, just that you have to either be more reckless or more conservative with it, depending on the matchup.

That is all of the Reun sets that I have come up with since the start of ORAS. Hope you enjoy them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)