ORAS NU Team Nohr

Lacus Clyne

Given-Taken
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Welcome to my ORAS NU RMT. People know that my main tier is ORAS Ubers but since I wanted to try out many tiers as possible I began with NeverUsed. To be honest I already tried that tier out 2 or 3 months ago. At that moment I was playing with a full stall team. The team was based on Xatu + Shedinja and did a solid job on ladder. Well someone stole that team and was telling people that he built that team and shit. What he didn't know was that I posted it on a german forum. So he basically got shitted on for saying that the team was "his" team. Here is the team if you wanna see it. Back to the topic. After my long pause in NU I wanted to play that tier again. Since I already tried out Full Stall I wanted to play something more offensive. After looking at viability threats I found the pokemon exeggutor. With a base 125 special attack and the ability chlorophyll exeggutor was the perfect pokemon for a sun sweep. At that moment I knew that I was going to built a sun team. Since I am not really good with other tiers besides Ubers I don't really know how to play well. I made common mistakes like attacking Bouffalant with a solarbeam and shit. That I made it to the top #10 already impressed me with my experience. I peaked #8 with that team and here is the ladder print. Enough shit chat lets go right into the teambuilding.

So exeggutor is our main sweeper. Being able to outspeed almost every pokemon in the sun is just great. But wait! Where is our sun setter? Well exeggutor can set the sun himself but that would mean that our sun turns are limited to 4 turns. Thats not what we wanted to have.

A fat sun setter! Uxie is such a bulky pokemon and is setting the sun for us. Setting the sun isn't his only job. Throwing Stealth Rocks out is also an important job. Because Uxie is so fat he is most of the time the lead pokemon.

Malamar can like completly shit on us. That is a reason to put in a check. Rhydon is more like a soft check, since he can't take superpower well. First I wanted to use the Double Dancer Set but that wouldn't touch Malamar well. Thats why I decided to use Rock Polish + 3 Attacks. Rhydon also serves as a great Fletchinder Check. I dunno since when Fletch is NU but with Fletch around I needed a solid check.

With sun up water type attacks aren't that much of a threat but ice attacks are something else. I didn't really know how to fix that problem but I knew that adding an offensive pokemon would fit best. First I thought of hariyama but then I was like nahh that thing is slow as fuck. Hariyama wouldn't even abuse the sun so I decided to add a scarf magmortar. Magmortar soft checks pokemons and is able to deal massive damage with a STAB Sun fire blast or overheat.

All these set ups for just one sun sweeper wasn't worth that at all so I decided to add another sun sweeper. Victreebel doesn't have massive power like exeggutor but he has some pro's. First he has the attack growth, which means that he gains a +2 special attack boost by sun. Second is that no one likes to tank a weather ball from him. So Victreebel is just as fearsome as exeggutor.

One sun setter and two sun sweepers? This ain't right. I decided to add another sun setter. Liepard is imo the best weather setter in NU. Thanks to prankstar he is able to throw out the sun safe. Cause he has these low defense stats he is going to die fast and that is actually a good thing. That gives me momentum to switch in my sun sweeper and not waste another sun turn.

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Exeggutor is the power house of the team. Being able to hit almost every pokemon and OHKO them are his signatures. It is pretty easy to switch in with exeggutor, because you are most of the time u-turning or sacrificing a pokemon to come in. With max special attack investment exeggutor has 383 special attack which makes a STAB LO Solar Beam fearsome. Even with all these power there are some pokemons that could function as checks against exeggutor. That is why exeggutor carries sleep powder. Sleep Powder puts pokemons into sleep which aren't OHKO by an attack. Afterwards you have the opportunity to 2HKO. Psychic is a great coverage. Pokemon like garbador or muk like to switch into a solar beam to burn one sun turn, but with psychic you are able to predict them switches. Also is psychic a great STAB. I choosed it over psyshock since I needed more power. For my filler move it is clear that I would choose hidden power fire. HP fire is like a must have on exeggutor. Steel types are really annoying to face and with a sun boosted HP fire there are no safe switches. You could say that exeggutor is a completed sweeper. The EVs are all put into special attack und speed. The rest went into defense.

Uxie @ Heat Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Spd
- Sunny Day
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psychic

Most of the time is uxie our lead pokemon thanks to the bulk he is being able to tank any hit. The attack sunny day is the most important attack on this set. Making a sunny day is the priority job to do. After that you can send out your rocks or u-turn out. Well lets say it is based on match up. Obviously you send out your rocks first and set the sun afterwards, but there can be some situations that are quite annoying like the archeops vs uxie lead. 50/50 plays need to be made. Most of the time I u-turn out into magmortar to break the sash first with min damage and punish the opponents pokemon with a thunderbolt or make a double. I am using 30 Speed IVs, because I wanna u-turn last if Uxie vs Uxie match up. Having the momentum on my side is important. As a filler I am using psychic. It does well on uxie and is doing some small damage on other pokemons. As an item I choosed obviously heat rock. Having these +3 sun turns is something the team really depends on. Uxie doesn't really need recovery so having a heat rock over leftovers is alright. I put all the EVs into HP and defense. This would make uxie our fighting type check.

Victreebel @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Growth
- Giga Drain/Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Weather Ball

Victreebel performs well as our second sun sweeper. The typing of grass and poison is alright. What I like about Victreebel is his speed. When the sun is out victreebels speed is doubled. In contract to exeggutor victreebel can't be outspeeded by certain scarfer. What I also like about victreebel is the access to weather ball. Weather Ball with a 100 attackpower in sun is completly overpowered. There are like almost no switch ins into that move besides bulky water types, but these pokemons are killed by the grass attack. Giga Drain or solar beam? Thats quite a question. Solar Beam is the preffered move cause of the immense power of 120. Giga Drain also has some pro's tho. If sun is out and all your sun setters are dead you are pretty much fucked. Giga Drain solves that problem since it doesn't need to get charged without sun. This situation only happend to me once so I dunno If it is good to run it. A filler attack is sludge bomb. Even though I don't really use it that often it can be a game changer. Like it shits on mega audino and does massive damage. Growth is surprinsingly really good. Giving us a +2 in sun ist deffinitly something we can't ignore. Even though its hard to get a free turn for growth you should still have it on your set.

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Megahorn

The rock polish sweeper! First I wanted to use double dance but that would mean that malamar completly shits on me. I decided to use rp +3 attacks instead. Rhydon doesn't really need sword dance due to the fact that he already hast 394 attack. As an item I choosed eviolite. I know that you can run something like lum berry but I liked the bulk on this pokemon. Rhydon is here to avoid getting flying spammed. Sweelow and fletch are pokemon the team really dislikes. For the movepool I obviously choosed rock polish. Stone Edge and earthquake are solid STABs for rhydon and are doing tons of damage to my opponent. Megahorn is the replacement move for sword dance. Being able to hit grass types and malamar effectively is great. As for the EVs I put them all into the attack and speed. I didn't really need max speed investment + nature cause sneasel would still outspeed me. The only thing I am getting scared off is the fact that I could get burned by a fletch. Even if I am burned I still OHKO it but it can be really annoying since I don't run a cleric.

Magmortar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Focus Blast

Magmortar is like a third sun sweeper. Having the sun outside and blasting out fire blasts is a serious problem for most of my opponents. Magmortar is my answer of getting attacked with sleepy attacks. Like switching in on a lovely kiss from jynx. Thanks to vital spirit magmortar can't sleep and punishes the opponents pokemon with a heavy attack and since I am scarf I outspeed. Fire Blast is the main attack from magmortar. Having a STAB Sun fire blast is cool but to have a nuke overheat is even cooler. Most people don't expect it and it helped me out almost everytime. Thunderbolt acts as good filler. It hits archeops and mantine who can be really annoying. As a filler I choosed focus blast. I don't really use it that much, since rock and steel types are most of the time handled by my sun sweepers. Well I don't have a spinner or defoger. This is why my switches into magmortar are limited. If my opponent has a sneasel it is important to keep magmortar healthy. Like you can't come in like you want and shit due to the fact that magmortar is your only answer to it. For the EVs and nature I choosed max special attack with max speed and a modest nature. A modest nature gives me more power and makes sure to maximize your damage output.

Liepard @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Liepard is my second sun sweeper and does a solid job with getting the sun out. Thanks to his ability prankstar all his non-damage attacks are gaining a priority of +1. Sunny Day is the main reason why I choosed liepard. With heat rock as an item the sun turns are boosted by 3 turns. This gives me more time to sweep and to make sure to hit everything hard on my opponents side. Talk about priority taunt is a move that gets rarely used but it makes sure that my opponents pokemon can't get status on us. As a damage move I choosed knock off. Knock Off is one of the most used moves in Gen 6 thanks to the attack power raise. With a base 88 attack liepard can do some fair STAB damage and knock out enemy items. As for the last attack I choosed u-turn. Most of the time I am using it to damage malamar but it has some good flaws like gaining momentum. Well to be honest I only need liepard to set the sun out. After that he can die cause I don't really need it anymore. If he dies I get even greater momentum, since I can pick a pokemon to come out and my opponent can do nothing.

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Liepard @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Uxie @ Heat Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sunny Day
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psychic

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Weather Ball

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Megahorn

Magmortar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Focus Blast

That was my sun team. Like I said I am not really good at other tiers besides ubers and I am sorry for my grammar mistakes cause I am from germany. Well thats a bad excuse isn't it? lol Well whatever I hope you enjoyed this RMT. If you are a fan of fire emblem you know what the title is. We are going for the glory! Fuck Hoshido and their peace. I hope that you could help me perfect this team and yeah thats it. Cya around and I am waiting for some good rates! Before I forget. The only threats I encountered so far are scarf users like Scyther or Pinsir. Another threat is obviously sneasel but magmortar can deal with it more or less.

SockeFTW Happiness: 0%; Anger: 100% No self controll...
Bangaran Chris Brown ftw
Ice Tea Leon Machere sag ich nur haha
Lord Qwilfish An ugly fish that needs to be roasted! nah seriously qwilfish sucks ._.
Drum'n'Bass the one who got me into NU
schnalkser Naseweiß!
YouGotMeLOL Mana Mana Mana Booooooo!
Dana: Guten Tag der Herr.
Deidara: Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!
Lord Outrage salt, saltier, Archer
TFantasyy wieso sehe ich dich nicht mehr?
Just Do It I rekt you LOL
Chill Shadow friend and imo the best po tour player
Stone: someone I really like to talk to and a good friend
amber lamps ITALYYYY WUHUUU
av Kakuna Dich sehe ich gar nicht mehr ._.
Der Major: Du bist auch gestorben T_T RIP
TCMK we believed together in JB
HaxED I remember that you rekt me once with a willo Ho-Oh xD
Chainy friend!!!
Fate: obviously you are the biggest troll of all time haha
Draciel: I can also make NU RMTs :]
karkinos: a solid LC player! we need to have another round again
Lilligant: du bist verrückt!
Kody: Learn to aim! LOL and I miss you btw
The Alio: why u hating friend? .-.
Sry If I forgot someone...

Hey man

Nice team you have here. I've always been one to defend weather archetypes and weather itself in theory is really strong in this current meta, with the meta being so offensive and based around the likes of Magneton and Sneasel, it makes perfect sense to run a weather team, its good counterplay to the meta.
Some of your move and Mon choices can be altered however, and through experience of using weather teams time and time again, changing one or two moves that are amiss might increase the effectiveness of your team as a whole.
I think that Memento > Psychic on Uxie would be a solid place to start. Although you only have 1 sun set up sweeper, memento can be useful just to leave a confrontation where the opponent stalls sun turns, and get a safe switch into one of your sweepers. It also has the added bonus of giving victreebel an easier time to settup. Another change I'm going to suggest is Encore > Taunt on Liepard. A lot of people have this misconception that taunt is a good choice to have over encore. In reality, you don't want to waste time taunting opponents or having them outright kill you if you predict wrong, Encore is a better bet at stopping setup sweepers or getting a free setup / momentum for your sweepers.

I don't want to change any of your filler mons, since they are personal preference anyway. You could try Sawsbuck / Leafeon > Magmortar but that's just my personal preference. I don't want my game to hinge around special attackers, but I'll give you some sample sets, just in case you want to try this swap out.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Frustration
- Jump Kick

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off

It should be noted that sneasel is quite prevalent in the meta, so should you see one, make sure one of your sweepers isn't too heavily weakened so that it can revenge kill fully.

overall, cool team, weather makes for excellent counterplay in the current meta ^.^
yours in mons,
~HJAD

hi lacus

sun is generally a very successful team archetype, however there are some general fixes that more relate to sets as well as a few mon fixes that I believe will help the team.

The first change i'm going to recommend is that you go with Sunny Day Regirock > Uxie. Regirock provides you with a sturdy sneasel check, it still acts as a sun setter, and can even keep momentum up and soften mons late game with Explosion. Regirock can also beat fletchinder which ravages sun teams, still OHKOing it after a burn with not a lot of Attack investment

By going with regirock, this frees up Rhydon's slot for another mon that can help you against stuff like Fletch and Sneasel, so you don't have to rely solely on Regirock, as these 2 are generally the biggest threats to sun. I think that a Scarf Magneton > Rhydon would be a pretty nice switch here. Scarf Magnets gives you a fletchinder switch in, it synergizes extremely well with your sun sweepers as the mons that would normally come into Magneton are pretty much a free switch for your sun sweepers. It also helps you revenge Sneasel and does well against opposing offensive teams that might give you trouble. While these switches may make you more concerned about malamar, pretty much all of your mons outspeed it, Liepard can hit it with U-turn, you have a plethora of special wallbreakers that can break through it, as well as the fact that Malamar really doesnt get many opportunities to set up against such an offensive team.

The final changes are just set optimizations. I would definitely fit Sunny Day > Growth on Victreebel. This is because by clicking growth, you're forfeiting one of your precious 8 sun turns, as well as leaving yourself wide open to being hit on the turn of setting up. Having an extra sunny day setter, even without damp rock, can end up saving you a game at the last second if need be. I'd also go with Psyshock > Psychic on Exeggutor as it allows you to OHKO hariyama which is the biggest cockblock for sun teams, and LO Solarbeam hits stuff like Gurdurr extremely hard anyways. The final change i'm going to recommend is that you go with Assault Vest Magmortar > Scarf Magmortar and Psychic > Overheat. Scarf Magmortar is really subpar because Magmortar wants to make the most of it's extremely threatening coverage options. Assault Vest allows you to be a full stop to Lilligant (which also really threatens sun teams) and Psychic lets you hit mons like Hariyama harder which is important for the reason i stated before.

hope i helped!

: Sunny Day > Growth

Regirock @ Heat Rock | Clear Body
252 HP / 120 Atk / 16 Def / 120 SpDef | Impish
Stealth Rock | Rock Slide | Sunny Day | Explosion

Magneton @ Choice Scarf | Analytic
4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe | Timid
Volt Switch | Flash Cannon | Thunderbolt | Hidden Power Ground

Magmortar @ Assault Vest | Vital Spirit
104 HP / 252 SpAtk / 152 Spe | Modest
Fire Blast | Thunderbolt | Psychic | Focus Blast / Hidden Power Grass

Lacus Clyne

Given-Taken
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hey thanks for the rates.
HJAD I like the new moves you suggested. Memento actually helped me out quite some times and Encore is deffinitly better then Taunt. The thing about ur physical pokemon suggestions are that these pokemon are type grass. I don't wanna promote my ice weakness.

Can-Eh-Dian Regirock as a starter is a nice idea. I tested it out and realized that I had some big weaknesses. Fighting type pokemons wreck me like shit and Gurdurr is the main problem. Like sure most of my pokemon like exeggutor outspeed but if my opponent has a combination of sneasel and gurdurr I auto lose. Another problem is malamar. That thing completly recks me if sun is out. And sacking a pokemon to get sun out ain't quite a plan. I won't even OHKO with Solarbeam so it is a 3 Pokemon play just for one malamar.

Well, Leavanny hard-counters Malamar and has Heal Bell to support your Rhydon?

Leavanny @ Life Orb
Adamant or Jolly Nature
- Heal Bell
- X-Scissor
- Leaf Blade / Synthesis
- Knock Off / Synthesis

Leafeon can run the same set but no STAB on X-Scissor (and no Fighting Resist) means it cannot OHKO Malamar at +1, instead being stuck at 70% or so.
It would probably eat up Exeggutor's teamslot though (otherwise it compounds weaknesses way too much) but it works pretty well in the Sun... or against it for that matter (your team is no exception, being horribly weak to LO Leavanny - even Magmortar gets 2HKO'd by Knock Off). Outright nothing you have can switch into it and only Victreebell can check it assuming no hazards are up (it takes 70-80% or so from X-Scissor), and so can Magmortar (but Knock Off 2HKO's after SR).

huh that's funny, i used this exact team about a month ago on the ladder, almost down to the item and moves. anyways solar beam is the obvious better choice for victreebel because dropping your power from 120 to 75 so you can heal yourself is not a good idea. hjad's changes are good, except for the leafeon/sawsbuck one in my opinion because leafeon is walled too easily. not sure about sawsuck because i've never used it. my instinct is to say don't replace rhydon for any reason, because rhydon is so sweet on sunny day teams, althoguh i haven't played too much in this magneton metagame so who knows edit: also growth on victreebel is amazing, +2/+2 ohkos like everything. and sunny day is always up when victreebel comes in. so definitely keep growth.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)