ORAS UU Viability Ranking Thread M2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwahelgae

Banned deucer.
Mega-Swamp seems to be versatile because based on my experience, MegaPert's unique mix of good offensive presence and bulk allows it to fit a lot of roles (Cleaner, Defensive SR setter, Wall a.k.a. pif stall). Furthermore, it performs these roles very well. Despite eating up a Mega slot, it does bring some strong benefits to the table. Thus, I think it's fine where it's at.

I want Mega Swampert to go to A+ rank. Under rain it is a very dangerous wallbreaker and sweeper, can also be used a rocket since it has very good bulk. Nobody wants to catch those paws, even grass types since swamp has ice punch. Personally, I find it better than the A tank mons so Mega Swamp to A+
There are a few holes in your nomination, for one, any swift seimmer is a potent sweeper under rain. But the problem with rain sweepers is how to get the rain up, and swamp suffers from that when more than other rain sweepers, the problem is getting the rain up, and if you use a setter thats not swampert pre-mega evolution, then you waste a lot of rain turns. If you run rain dance, you miss out on coverage such as rocks, rest, or even ice punch. So keep Pert-M in A

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
There are a few holes in your nomination, for one, any swift seimmer is a potent sweeper under rain. But the problem with rain sweepers is how to get the rain up, and swamp suffers from that when more than other rain sweepers, the problem is getting the rain up, and if you use a setter thats not swampert pre-mega evolution, then you waste a lot of rain turns. If you run rain dance, you miss out on coverage such as rocks, rest, or even ice punch. So keep Pert-M in A
Mega Swampert is a savage and has almost no trouble setting rain for itself. Set up on MAero and you're in for 4 turns of fun with a crazy powerful Waterfall. In addition, Jolly Pert beats pretty much every scarfer in the tier under rain. This is only the Rain Dance set though. Other sets like Bulky Attacking Rock setter can be used to provide hazards while still hitting incredibly hard (think Nidoqueen). Even SpD Rest Talk has seen play on various stall teams as a reliable answer to pretty much every Chandelure and other special attackers. Pert is a crucial member on offense, a viable member on bulky offense and balance, and a solid choice for stall. It's a mon who can fit everywhere and be damn good in everything it does. A+ is certainly something to be considered.

kwahelgae

Banned deucer.
Mega Swampert is a savage and has almost no trouble setting rain for itself. Set up on MAero and you're in for 4 turns of fun with a crazy powerful Waterfall. In addition, Jolly Pert beats pretty much every scarfer in the tier under rain. This is only the Rain Dance set though. Other sets like Bulky Attacking Rock setter can be used to provide hazards while still hitting incredibly hard (think Nidoqueen). Even SpD Rest Talk has seen play on various stall teams as a reliable answer to pretty much every Chandelure and other special attackers. Pert is a crucial member on offense, a viable member on bulky offense and balance, and a solid choice for stall. It's a mon who can fit everywhere and be damn good in everything it does. A+ is certainly something to be considered.
The biggest issue is the fact that it takes up a Mega slot. On some balanced teams, it'd be much better to run regular Pert and run a different Mega than burning your mega slot for Bulky Rock setter MegaPert. Essentially, you have RestTalk Pert on stall (which isn't a common enough playstyle for that to make significant mention) and Rain Dance Pert.

Can I nominate Espeon for B-? The scarf set is amazing and can handle some of the best moms in UU (beedrill, etc.). With alazazam out of the tier, Espeon is an amazing revenge killer with great stats and access to dazzling gleam which can destroy moms that normally threaten psychic types like krookodile and hydrogen. It can serve multiple roles such as BOer, Dual Screens, Scarf, and Specs. It's great speed stat lets it outspeed almost all of the tier and do great damage to a lot of it.

252 SpA Choice Specs Espeon Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Krookodile: 350-412 (105.7 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Espeon Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 258-304 (82.9 - 97.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

"Well lllg17!" You may say, "Azelf is so much freaking better! That may be so, as Azelf has 5 higher points in speed and a far more varied movepool, though Espeon has a higher SpAtk stat and can sweep with hazards and some prior damage up with its scarf/specs stat

I suppose my question at this point is what does the Specs/Scarf set do to differentiate itself from Azelf? I mean, Azelf DOES have a much more varied movepool, including U-turn, to make its Choice sets more dangerous. What do five extra SpA and Magic Bounce add?

Well, first off, it's ability. Azelf has a pretty crappy ability for a psychic type. It would be a lot more interesting if it got something like, idk, Magic guard, though that would kinda make it the next Alakazam. Espeon, however, has a great ability in Magic Bounce, meaning it's a great way to prevent your opponent from setting up hazards. Azelf can only do this by means of taunt, and it can't switch in to block hazards. Magic Bounce is also an amazing option against stall, as toxic and the like can't really be given out that freely is there's an Espeon in the back. In this respect Espeon is a lot like Mega Sableye, though it's inferior bulk makes it a lot worse at sweeping/facilitating a sweep. Secondly, its surprise factor. So you know how quickly scarf Espeon can be? It's faster than almost every single Pokemon in the metagame, excluding scarf Azelf and the like. Thirdly, it hard-counters some of the best mons in the tier like Hydreigon, Beedril, and Cobalion, all of which can sweep without the proper check.
So yes, Azelf is better because of its movepool, but that's it. I would argue that Espeon does not fit the description of a C-rank mon, but rather a B as it fits more than a small niche and requires next to no support from its teammates aside from a weakness to what it can check and status move weakness. Espeon for B-!

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well, first off, it's ability. Azelf has a pretty crappy ability for a psychic type. It would be a lot more interesting if it got something like, idk, Magic guard, though that would kinda make it the next Alakazam. Espeon, however, has a great ability in Magic Bounce, meaning it's a great way to prevent your opponent from setting up hazards. Azelf can only do this by means of taunt, and it can't switch in to block hazards. Magic Bounce is also an amazing option against stall, as toxic and the like can't really be given out that freely is there's an Espeon in the back. In this respect Espeon is a lot like Mega Sableye, though it's inferior bulk makes it a lot worse at sweeping/facilitating a sweep. Secondly, its surprise factor. So you know how quickly scarf Espeon can be? It's faster than almost every single Pokemon in the metagame, excluding scarf Azelf and the like. Thirdly, it hard-counters some of the best mons in the tier like Hydreigon, Beedril, and Cobalion, all of which can sweep without the proper check.
So yes, Azelf is better because of its movepool, but that's it. I would argue that Espeon does not fit the description of a C-rank mon, but rather a B as it fits more than a small niche and requires next to no support from its teammates aside from a weakness to what it can check and status move weakness. Espeon for B-!
Offensively, especially for a Choice-item set, Magic Bounce and Levitate aren't going to be doing you too many favours, as they are mostly defensive abilities. The only thing I really see Espeon doing over Azelf in this comparison, taking into account it was nominated for the Choice-item sets, is that Espeon can switch-into entry hazards and bounce them back, although all it can do back to bulkier entry hazard setters, i.e Empoleon, is Trick it. Espeon hard-countering Hydreigon, Beedrill and Cobalion is yet to be seen lol, as it checks, not counters (I'd like to see it switch-into an Adaptability U-turn or Life Orb Dark Pulse tbh). Also, if we're taking into consideration this is the Choice Scarf set, which is the only set that checks Beedrill, Azelf can do the exact same thing but better due to access to Fire Blast, letting it roast Cobalion as well. I believe Espeon should stay C-ranked, as the only thing differentiating it from Azelf is Magic Bounce and higher SpA, which is what allows it to not go down to the depths of D rank in the first place.

There were a few nominations lost in the Pidgeot quarrels. I remember nominations for Noivern and Cacturne. Anyone have thoughts on these two getting a rank? Noivern is obviously very effective in RU. Florges brings it down in UU but it does have options like switcheroo and taunt. Hydregion can overshadow it but Noivern makes a far better fighting check. Plus speed is superior. Cacturne can counter sweep bulky waters with sword dance and water absorb. Drain punch is great on it along with grass stab. Spikes may also be an option as cacturne forces switches with SuckerPunch. Cool mons. Would write more but on lunch break.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
There were a few nominations lost in the Pidgeot quarrels. I remember nominations for Noivern and Cacturne. Anyone have thoughts on these two getting a rank? Noivern is obviously very effective in RU. Florges brings it down in UU but it does have options like switcheroo and taunt. Hydregion can overshadow it but Noivern makes a far better fighting check. Plus speed is superior. Cacturne can counter sweep bulky waters with sword dance and water absorb. Drain punch is great on it along with grass stab. Spikes may also be an option as cacturne forces switches with SuckerPunch. Cool mons. Would write more but on lunch break.
Noivern is already a B rank mon so it doesn't need to be ranked. Cacturne is a pretty cool Cune check ( Bar Ice Beam) and has a bunch of power after an SD. Sucker Punch helps mitigate his awful speed, but his pitiful defenses make him have to rely on Sucker Punch for faster mons. I say he should be C rank.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Gonna make a few noms that people have been discussing...

Moltres to B: Agree This thing hits very hard with Fire Blast and Hurricane and has a decent speed stat as well. SR hits it of course and the rise of Rotom H doesn't help but I think Fire Burd is B rank material

Darmanitan to B/B-: Agree Scarf sets are cool but outsped by other scarfers. The meta isn't very nice to it with checks coming all over the place and it's worn down so easily with bad bulk, SR weakness, and FB recoil.

Doublade to A-: Sort of agree since it checks a lot of fighting types and it's bulk is so high but still on the fence

Crobat to A-: On the fence

Mola to B+: I dunno, it's bulky and passes wishes, but way too passive imo

ok so ill give my cents about all noms until now

Heliolisk down to B+, LO residual damage + not so strong + frail to most priority users + too much faster threats + there's no other viable set (i laugh everytime i see scarf) makes Heliolisk life hard in UU.

Rotom-H up to B+, I would give A- for this guy but UU is still too much wet :/

Darmanitan to B-
, ur a better with Entei 9/10 times

Doublade to A-, here is a nomination that I fully support. I've been toying with Doublade earlier and I found that it fit as a glue on a lot of teams. Tanking hits like there is no tomorrow, it also offers offensive pressure and if played right, can act as a wincon depending on matchups. Pair it with Hydreigon something to tank special hits and knock off, and ur done for a day. Pretty antimeta I'd say.

I have never seen Moltres in UU so next

I'd say the B+ Rank mons have much more utility than Alomomola, who serves a nice role wishing good luck for his teammates, but that's it. Even top ladders stall teams do not use Alomomola these days. Keep it B rank.

Crobat to A-
, unfortunatelly Fatmence (and other dozens variations of it) has been a real trend last weeks and that really hurts Crobat usage as both defogger and fighting check. It also fights with Mandibuzz as a bulky defogger rn, checking different things its true, but essentially having the same role. Still, Crobat has a great speed tie, good bulky, fast Taunts, solid STAB etc, so A- will fit it fine.

Umbreon to B+, I just got bopped over ladder by pokemonisfun stall team and Umbreon was certainly a pain in the ass in that team. Besides all the Mega Pidgeot discussion, Umbreon has a nice role checking physical attackers in UU while threatning they right way. Certainly fits B+ rank mons.

Keep Shiftry C Rank. I could see it reaching B- Rank for his Chrolophyll set in a sun team, but otherwise it's a pretty bad mon. Tbh I used it in a sun team and even there it was an ok mon at his best, Grass/Dark is not a great coverage and it fails to reach some important KOs. "Offensive hazard remover that could beat water mons" that must be the most specific role a UU mon could have. I mean why would I ever leave a water type mon in front of Shiftry lol.

Jolteon bump to B- Rank. It's about time we give Jolteon some love. Completely agree with Ducem points in np: ORAS UU Stage 3.1 post about this guy. Outspeeding most of the meta including most Crobats, Mega Burd, reg Aero, etc, blocking Volt Switchs and pivoting out for other mons is a great role.

Mega Swampert to A+. "Mega slot cost" well ur not burning ur mega slot when taking Mega Swamp for a ride since Mega Swampert is crazy good. I took all my reqs with it in a bulky offense team and it completely annihilate everything in his way. I also got destroyed by one in a stall team a few days ago. Heck, even balance buildings have a good time with it as a SR setter. It fits fine in every playstyle and does a great job in all of them.

Keep Espeon in C Rank. Cmon guys lets get real scarf espeon is a joke and specs espeon is just sad. leave it be.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Keep Shiftry C Rank. I could see it reaching B- Rank for his Chrolophyll set in a sun team, but otherwise it's a pretty bad mon. Tbh I used it in a sun team and even there it was an ok mon at his best, Grass/Dark is not a great coverage and it fails to reach some important KOs. "Offensive hazard remover that could beat water mons" that must be the most specific role a UU mon could have. I mean why would I ever leave a water type mon in front of Shiftry lol.
Yeah, it's not that great, but the fact that you wouldn't leave a water type on it doesn't make it less of a water type killer. I mean, no one would ever stay in with a Blissey vs. a Heracross, but you won't stop using it as an answer to the blob because of that. In fact, because water types will be switching out, Shiftry gets the opportunity to Defog freely, if you want to see it that way. Regarding the "most specific role" thing, you are right, but it is the only mon that can do that, having a nice and useful niche.

Yeah, it's not that great, but the fact that you wouldn't leave a water type on it doesn't make it less of a water type killer. I mean, no one would ever stay in with a Blissey vs. a Heracross, but you won't stop using it as an answer to the blob because of that. In fact, because water types will be switching out, Shiftry gets the opportunity to Defog freely, if you want to see it that way. Regarding the "most specific role" thing, you are right, but it is the only mon that can do that, having a nice and useful niche.
I can see ur points but I think that's exactly why Shiftry should be C rank and not unranked at all. It's not near as good as other B- Rank mons if you take a look.

Btw I'm looking at B- mons and I'm wondering what is Drapion role in UU. Honestly I have never seen one that didn't got bopped just after came in. I'd nom Drapion to C Rank otherwise.

I def support Pert being A+ due to the fact its slightly more versatile than some of the other mons in A, def the other megas. Pert can run a Rocks set, a Rain set, or even a Sp Def set and be good at all of them. like malinowski said it fits on all team archs to fill different roles. Thats not even to mention how strong and bulky it is. If/when Pidge gets banned there will be no question of raising it but i still feel its appropriate rn.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Gonna make a nom here and what is it im nomming you say? Oh its just Cresselia to A- u know. Now now, let me tell you why Cress should be A-. First of all, Reuniclus has received a bunch of usage recently, and the Calm Mind set actually overshadows Cresselia's CM set. why because Reuni has better coverage in focus blast which hits Dark AND Steel types, something Moonblast cannot. Also, Reuniclus has a far better ability in Magic Guard , which lets it shrug off hazards and Toxic, something Cresselia is suspectible to. Also, Cress needs a lot of boosts to hit hard, and stuff like Empoleon can take a hit and Roar the boosts away. And with the rise of Reuni means Dark types are everywhere. Krookodile, in particular, can Knock off leftovers and use Taunt to render Cresselia useless. But there is ONE thing helping Cress: its insane bulk, but that bulk can be chipped away with Toxic or strong Dark type moves. So I hope u understand why Cresselia should be A- rank

Gonna make a nom here and what is it im nomming you say? Oh its just Cresselia to A- u know. Now now, let me tell you why Cress should be A-. First of all, Reuniclus has received a bunch of usage recently, and the Calm Mind set actually overshadows Cresselia's CM set. why because Reuni has better coverage in focus blast which hits Dark AND Steel types, something Moonblast cannot. Also, Reuniclus has a far better ability in Magic Guard , which lets it shrug off hazards and Toxic, something Cresselia is suspectible to. Also, Cress needs a lot of boosts to hit hard, and stuff like Empoleon can take a hit and Roar the boosts away. And with the rise of Reuni means Dark types are everywhere. Krookodile, in particular, can Knock off leftovers and use Taunt to render Cresselia useless. But there is ONE thing helping Cress: its insane bulk, but that bulk can be chipped away with Toxic or strong Dark type moves. So I hope u understand why Cresselia should be A- rank
I think Cress is fine where it is. It has cemented it's place in Stall nowadays with it's aftermentioned insane bulk, and while it's CM set may be outclassed (don't know, I've never tried it) It's defensive sets are really nice. It can take a hit from just about any pokemon and hit back with a thunder wave, toxic, or a weak psychic. I've even personally ran moonblast to take out hydra. And while it's movepool is pretty barren, it has what it needs. It has dual screens for helping set ups, toxic and thunder wave to stall and annoy, psychic and moonblast to actually hit something directly with, and moonlight for recovery. I can see where you're coming from, but CM isn't the only set Cress runs. And I don't see a pokemon overshadowing it's wall set(s). KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF CRESS AND LEAVE IT IN A PLEASE.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've tried to use Shiftry several times and it's just so underwhelming. It's pretty weak, extremely frail, and its useful niche aside from defog is neutered by the things its supposed to check (sucker/knock off, scald burn). In addition, Defog on offensive teams is fairly counter intuitive. Offense doesn't give a shit if hazards are up most of the time; in fact, they'd rather have hazards on both sides than on neither side, eliminating Shiftry's niche. Other than that it's okay but the amount of stuff that comes in safely/threatens it out is too high for a B- rank mon. Drapion is also pretty underwhelming and could see a drop like people are saying. However, I haven't used it recently so I'm not sure.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
I've tried to use Shiftry several times and it's just so underwhelming. It's pretty weak, extremely frail, and its useful niche aside from defog is neutered by the things its supposed to check (sucker/knock off, scald burn). In addition, Defog on offensive teams is fairly counter intuitive. Offense doesn't give a shit if hazards are up most of the time; in fact, they'd rather have hazards on both sides than on neither side, eliminating Shiftry's niche. Other than that it's okay but the amount of stuff that comes in safely/threatens it out is too high for a B- rank mon. Drapion is also pretty underwhelming and could see a drop like people are saying. However, I haven't used it recently so I'm not sure.
I get what you mean. To be honest, it has done pretty well on the team I showcased on your thread, putting enough pressure on opposing water types and defogging away hazards when I most needed it, as Victini and Mence needed to be healthy or I would get destroyed by fighting types. This may just have been because Shiftry was like the perfect answer for the last slot on my team, it almost always did its job every battle, but I haven't tried in any other scenario. Nevertheless, looking at what is on C rank (Gourgeist, Spiritomb, Blastoise), I am definitely going for Shiftry on there rather than not been ranked at all, as it does have a good niche that may come in handy sometimes.

Edit: It also got the sun sweeper set as xmarth said.

Last edited:
Going to try to build a cacturne squad, my only gripe is how slow the thing is. Base 55 speed is well, pitiful to tell you the truth.

If anyone cares heres a replay of the team (bandoswine is temp, going to put something to beat faries better)

Overall its pretty decent actually and can sweep somewhat. I think that paired with the fact that every bulky water w/o a phaze move is setup bait so it can nab at the very least 2 kills with its very great attack stat. There are pokemon that do the whole sucker punch thing better but none that counter standard crocune, so it has a pretty decent niche atm. Very fun to use!

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
I just want to say I see this argument everywhere and I'm so tired of it :/ "Heliolisk doesn't beat Vaporeon because you switch Vaporeon out, Forretress doesn't beat Florges because you switch Florges out, etc"....I mean come on, then the only mons that can beat other mons are lures.

I just want to say I see this argument everywhere and I'm so tired of it :/ "Heliolisk doesn't beat Vaporeon because you switch Vaporeon out, Forretress doesn't beat Florges because you switch Florges out, etc"....I mean come on, then the only mons that can beat other mons are lures.
Heliolisk do not beat Vaporeon but can grab a whole lot of momentum with Volt Switch. Forretress do not beat Florges but can get rid of opposing hazards/setup his own while also grabbing momentum with his slow Volt Switch. Shiftry might get rid of hazards (of both sides btw) on the switch out but that's it and now you are probably in a worst situation than ur opponent.

I have a very weird nom that i'm pretty sure like no-one is gonna agree on, but…

TRAPINCH FOR C RANK

This thing is for a trapper in TR. If it gets into something for free, it can KO it normally. The thing is, getting in. It is best used as a revenge killer with CB from my usage of it, since it has 45/45/45 defenses.

My set is…
Trapinch @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

I've been using it on a TR team, and it's been doing well. The only tour i did with this i got to the semis. There are some replays that i have though with it, but some of them show my opps making mistakes or my opponent being bad.

I have a very weird nom that i'm pretty sure like no-one is gonna agree on, but…

TRAPINCH FOR C RANK

This thing is for a trapper in TR. If it gets into something for free, it can KO it normally. The thing is, getting in. It is best used as a revenge killer with CB from my usage of it, since it has 45/45/45 defenses.

My set is…
Trapinch @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

I've been using it on a TR team, and it's been doing well. The only tour i did with this i got to the semis. There are some replays that i have though with it, but some of them show my opps making mistakes or my opponent being bad.

I respect the innovation and don't want to seem rude but there's almost no viability in Trapinch. It has literally zero bulk and requires too much effort to fill an extremely niche, unimportant role. Also I'd suggest getting higher quality replays against better opponents to showcase the mon next time you nominate something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)