CAP 20 CaP 20 - Part 14 - Flavour Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I re-calculated to be sure and at 510kg, Naviathan would still float even if it held 10 times its own mass in cargo and passengers, so we definitely don't *need* Light Metal to float. In fact, I think Heavy Metal would actually be cooler, it would still float for sure, but it could be a ramming variant of Naviathan rather than a cargo/passenger variant, since Heavy Metal would mean it could hold less, but would have more momentum. I think Keen Eye is the best option so far though.

I think a lot of these abilities are too good. If none of the useless abilities fit, we don't need a flavour ability.

Personally, I'm liking Keen Eye, Rivalry and Heavy Metal.

Keen Eye is available on a wide variety of pokémon, though these are largely birds or have some sort of link to vision (like Sableye). Still, other pokémon get it, and it makes sense for Naviathan spotting far off lands.

Rivalry just feels right to me, given that Haxorus gets it, but largely has some form of territorial flavour to it (lions, e.g.).

I'm gradually warming to Heavy Metal, just because it seems to add to Naviathan's substantial appearance.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
24ish hour warning give or take a hour or two seeing as how this is pretty dead and people have thrown in their suggestions.

Maybe Intimidate could be its ability because of its large, fearsome size. However, if that is too competitively viable, we could go with the previously mentioned Unnerve.

Maybe Intimidate could be its ability because of its large, fearsome size. However, if that is too competitively viable, we could go with the previously mentioned Unnerve.
Intimidate is an extremely useful ability for almost any mon'. Getting to reduce physical attack damage from Conkeldurr, Colossoil, Krilowatt, Landorus-T, etc. is really a treat for Naviathan, especially since its HP and Defense aren't too shabby on their own. No way Intimidate gets through.

Intimidate is an extremely useful ability for almost any mon'. Getting to reduce physical attack damage from Conkeldurr, Colossoil, Krilowatt, Landorus-T, etc. is really a treat for Naviathan, especially since its HP and Defense aren't too shabby on their own. No way Intimidate gets through.
Which is why I also recommended Unnerve, which is most likely an ability that would do nothing.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I'd like to nominate Flame Body, since the whole valhalla viking thing is sort of a core aspect of our design.

While Flame Body does have that 30% burn chance when the opponent hits you with a contact move, which could certainly be perceived as good, I don't see this fitting on any of Naviathan's sets. It doesn't help set-up in any way really, and even the bulky set prefers Heatproof.

It also fits with the other two abilities in terms of the whole fire/burning theme we seem to have ended up with throughout the abilities.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Of the abilities people have suggested, Light Metal, Heavy Metal, and Keen Eye seem like the best flavour wise. As people have already stated, having an ability that focuses on the Steel-typing brings some diversity to an otherwise Water centric ability list. The choice between Heavy Metal and Light Metal really comes down to how you perceive Naviathan. When I think of Naviathan I think of something bulky and substantial, which makes me lean towards Heavy Metal. On the other hand, Naviathan has a above average speed stat for a Steel-type and has to be able to move relatively freely as it can Dragon Dance. Keen Eye makes sense as it would reflect Naviathan's naval origins, where the ability to sight ships and other objects on the horizon is vital.

Flame Body is walking close to the line in my eyes. It lessens Naviathan's ability to handle Scald, burns, and Fire-types but when combined with Naviathan's good physical bulk and access to recovery the potential for a set is there. I wouldn't say it would have any major competition with CM, DD, or Stallbreaker sets but it could be a gimmick none the less.

One ability that hasn't been discussed yet is Thick Fat. Its completely inferior to Heatproof as Naviathan would lose the halved burn damage and is already 4x resistant to ice, and it would aslo reflect Naviathan's stocky look and Artic origins. It wouldn't be that far fetched to imagine a thick layer of blubber somewhere in that frame.

I agree with having Light Metal as our non-flavor ability, simply because it is supposed to be a ship, and ships are supposed to be light. That's really all it is.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Time's up! The slate is Heavy Metal
Light Metal
Friend Guard
Rivalry
Battle Armor
Keen Eye
No Flavor Ability

Rain Dish gets an honorable mention for people being in high favor of it, but it being too competitively relevant given that Naviathan can already run a bulky stalllbreaker set anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)