PU PUPL: Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
★Finchinator: well

Go! Slowking!
Turn 20
★Finchinator: no crits

The opposing Floatzel used Crunch!
A critical hit! It's super effective! Slowking lost 72.8% of its health!

Slowking fainted!
★Finchinator: .

haha, sorry team, gl in future weeks bughouse

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Regirock is good on ho plz no hate kthnx. Confirming win tho sorry I didn't use any assault vest team but it didn't exist hahaha!

replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4uu-68004
That's funny inno cuz I used Regirock on an offensive build too... but I can't help but notice your Regirock wasn't all that aggressive. Mine was :)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4uu-68102

gg Finch. Unfortunate crit on Slowking. Game should have been over earlier but I made a few misplays. Was a gg overall, gl in future weeks.

innovamania

WEESNAWW
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's funny inno cuz I used Regirock on an offensive build too... but I can't help but notice your Regirock wasn't all that aggressive. Mine was :)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4uu-68102

gg Finch. Unfortunate crit on Slowking. Game should have been over earlier but I made a few misplays. Was a gg overall, gl in future weeks.
rp regirock is always fun and underrated. I'd have used it too but I needed rocks :(. Plus I'm married to the yellow colour and if she finds out i'm cheating on her with gotta go fast I'll be sleeping on the couch :[]

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
After watching Mael vs Peef it dawned on me that Scyther still was around during XY, and I think it is common knowledge among the people who played that meta back then that Scyther was borderline broken, and considering Garbodor is banned for PUPL, Scyther lost its most common check and the only viable thing that could actually punish U-Turn spam. While removing Garbodor from that meta definitely is for the better, I feel like it also potentially makes Scyther too big of a threat. Maybe a ban on Scyther during PUPL could be looked into? Tagging Dell to consider it, I don't play XY PU for PUPL, but I can imagine that those who do might feel too restricted in their teambuilding by Scyther, and I figure that if XY PU was still alive and Garbodor left, Scyther would be banned very soon after.

E: Alternatively, after having given it some thought and having discussed it a bit with some others, we could also just unban Garbodor from XY PU again. Sure, spikestacking is very annoying, but I don't think it's the biggest problem in XY PU. Let's not forget that Garbodor was the most viable and common check to Scyther and Throh, two threats that are undoubtedly broken in PU without Garbodor around. This might be a better idea, considering the fact that it's not recommended to keep banning things from a past meta to make it healthier. This is something that we risk now that we've banned Garb from XY PU, considering that ban leads Scyther to be broken, which leads to Throh being broken, etc, until we're left with a meta that is simply too similar to the current ORAS meta to even call it a different meta.

Basically, I think the Garbodor ban happened too soon and without solid reasons. Spikestacking may be annoying to deal with, but in the end I figure it is easier to deal with than the handful of threats that simply become nigh unmanageable without Garbodor around and warp the meta around themselves. We shouldn't ban things from past metas if it's not absolutely necessary, and in hindsight, I don't think a ban on Garbodor was necessary. The easiest way to keep XY PU somewhat balanced without making it too similar to our current meta is by simply leaving it in the state that it was in at the very end of XY, without any additional bans. If this could be decided upon quickly, we might be able to fix this issue before week 2 begins, which would greatly help the XY players, I figure.

Last edited:
After watching Mael vs Peef it dawned on me that Scyther still was around during XY, and I think it is common knowledge among the people who played that meta back then that Scyther was borderline broken, and considering Garbodor is banned for PUPL, Scyther lost its most common check and the only viable thing that could actually punish U-Turn spam. While removing Garbodor from that meta definitely is for the better, I feel like it also potentially makes Scyther too big of a threat. Maybe a ban on Scyther during PUPL could be looked into? Tagging Dell to consider it, I don't play XY PU for PUPL, but I can imagine that those who do might feel too restricted in their teambuilding by Scyther, and I figure that if XY PU was still alive and Garbodor left, Scyther would be banned very soon after.

E: Alternatively, after having given it some thought and having discussed it a bit with some others, we could also just unban Garbodor from XY PU again. Sure, spikestacking is very annoying, but I don't think it's the biggest problem in XY PU. Let's not forget that Garbodor was the most viable and common check to Scyther and Throh, two threats that are undoubtedly broken in PU without Garbodor around. This might be a better idea, considering the fact that it's not recommended to keep banning things from a past meta to make it healthier. This is something that we risk now that we've banned Garb from XY PU, considering that ban leads Scyther to be broken, which leads to Throh being broken, etc, until we're left with a meta that is simply too similar to the current ORAS meta to even call it a different meta.

Basically, I think the Garbodor ban happened too soon and without solid reasons. Spikestacking may be annoying to deal with, but in the end I figure it is easier to deal with than the handful of threats that simply become nigh unmanageable without Garbodor around and warp the meta around themselves. We shouldn't ban things from past metas if it's not absolutely necessary, and in hindsight, I don't think a ban on Garbodor was necessary. The easiest way to keep XY PU somewhat balanced without making it too similar to our current meta is by simply leaving it in the state that it was in at the very end of XY, without any additional bans. If this could be decided upon quickly, we might be able to fix this issue before week 2 begins, which would greatly help the XY players, I figure.
I don't agree with "fixing" a past metagame to be honest especially (garbodor ban isn't something I felt strongly about) if then we fall into a loophole of banning everything from scyther to tauros to sneasel to throh which I don't feel is the right course of action in a meta that was balanced after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)