The Everything NHL Thread

Phaneuf's value to the Leafs right now is as a minutes eater, nothing more. He doesn't play into the long-term plans of the team. Someone will give up a mid round pick+decent prospect+salary dump for him. Kessel is more contentious, could play into the long term future as he'll be only 33 when we're really hitting our stride. If we can get serious value for him (such as NJ or WAS first round pick, I've heard Kessel for WAS pick+prospect+Semin salary dump) he'll move, otherwise they'll likely try and integrate him into Babcock's system.
Interesting take on the situation. My first reaction when I saw the hiring was the exact opposite in regards to the future of Kessel and Dion. Granted the Red Wings needs are obviously different then Toronto's, but my first thought was "Since Babs apparently wanted Dion in Detroit, I'd think he's very likely to stay and if anyone's getting moved, it'll be Kessel."

It'll be interesting to see what they get moved for, assuming one or both of them to get shipped out for future assets. The closest thing to a Kessel-type of player/deal that's been made recently was the Nash trade IMO, so I'm using that as my benchmark. Granted they're different types of players, Kessel's more of a pure goal scorer while Nash is a better all-around player, both are 27 year olds at the time of a possible deal, and they're both locked in long term at similar cap hit and AAV. Problem is not many teams have the cap space AND the bounty of expendable assets that would probably be needed to land him, unless they want to blow holes in the core of their current roster, also similar to the Nash deal and how the Rangers had no depth until we traded away Gabby. Buffalo, Florida, and the Isles are 3 teams that jump out to me, but Kessel has that partial NTC to block a possible move, and Buffalo already made a similar deal when they brought in Kane.

DAM the best coach of the 2000s joins the worst team of the 2000s... it's a match made in 50 million dollar heaven

real talk though i think babcock will certainly help the leafs, but i agree that there are a lot of roster/culture changes that need to talk place before they move into cup contention. at the very least it'll be interesting to see what he and shanny will do to the roster

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Last year: Nonis and Carlyle

Next year: Shanahan, Dubas, and Babcock

Don't sleep on those Leafs. (In 3-4 years)

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Blackhawks back in the cup final, pretty crazy. Obviously being a Canucks fan I hope they don't win but impressive stuff nonetheless. Would love to see Stamkos win the cup.

Stolen from cosmonaut_koala but it applies everywhere.

We won it for Clint Reif.
We won it for Steve Montador.
We won it for Daniel Carcillo.
We won it for Stan Mikita.
We won it for Kimmo Timonen.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
so is it too early to fire sweeney yet? because dougie hamilton for a first and two seconds is fucking highway robbery.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hahahahahahahahahahaha fuck the Bruins

Love love love the Leafs draft, Marner was who I wanted and I'm a huge fan of picking up two early thirds to trade down ten spots. Toronto Belicheks yes please. Especially since guys like Kylington fell out of the first.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i like who the isles walked away with this first round a lot and didn't care for griffin reinhart's game much, way to go garth

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So the Sabres, draft and trades combined, now have new toys in Ryan O'Reilly, Evander Kane, Eichel, and Lehner to play with.

That's...really nice...It's hard enough to get 1 good to great Center, but the sabres got 2 and one of them has the potential to be elite (Not to mention they ALSO have Sam Reinhart, 2014's #2 pick, who many have very high hopes of). Not to mention that Kane playing with legitimate Cs can only help him elevate his game and the Sabres get a real goalie.

If they can, in the next 2-3 year, either / or / both develop some of their enticing in house D prospects or get some help on the D line, this team is super interesting to watch, and may reach playoff + competitive stanley cup contender faster than the current favorite for that role and media darling the Leafs.

Does anybody actually think Leafs are going to be contenders before Sabres are? Because that's stupid.

Next season is going to be super exciting for the team, I'm finally getting Gamecenter now that I can justify it.

Now just to wait if we can snatch Sekera in FA, then we would be set.

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Leafs aren't going to contend for at least 3 years and more likely 4-5 but we had a fantastic day yesterday, lots of high upside picks and a lot of late round steals. Start getting some of those guys through the pipeline and we'll be right on your ass. We're going to have about 12 2016 first round picks after we deal off all our guys, Auston Matthews leggo

Texas Cloverleaf

I was disappointed with the return but the realities of the market meant that this was the best we were going to get. Two highly rated prospects (behind Maata and Pouliot) and a first is pretty similar to the deal we made when we acquired him, and his age and contract should theoretically decrease his return. I'm fine with the trade from the perspective that our prospect cupboard is getting increasingly stocked and by acquiring a first we have another weapon to sue to move up or back to a lottery position in next years draft.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
No comment on the state of the trade + results because there are more external variables here than normal.

That said, I have no idea how I resist Kessel in hockey DFS like every time the Pens play..........

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was disappointed with the return but the realities of the market meant that this was the best we were going to get. Two highly rated prospects (behind Maata and Pouliot) and a first is pretty similar to the deal we made when we acquired him, and his age and contract should theoretically decrease his return. I'm fine with the trade from the perspective that our prospect cupboard is getting increasingly stocked and by acquiring a first we have another weapon to sue to move up or back to a lottery position in next years draft.
i still think a consistent 30+ goal scorer w/salary retained should've returned a lot more. tbh the toronto media shot itself in the foot by basically saying "kessel had to go," rather than keeping it lowkey and probably getting a higher return. arguably lucic got a better return than kessel, which is ridiculous since lucic isn't anywhere near the type of player kessel is.

Texas Cloverleaf

i still think a consistent 30+ goal scorer w/salary retained should've returned a lot more. tbh the toronto media shot itself in the foot by basically saying "kessel had to go," rather than keeping it lowkey and probably getting a higher return. arguably lucic got a better return than kessel, which is ridiculous since lucic isn't anywhere near the type of player kessel is.
I totally agree that in a vacuum he should have returned more, unfortunately his contract situation, no-movement clause, and the Toronto media limited his value.

Solace

royal flush
I totally agree that in a vacuum he should have returned more, unfortunately his contract situation, no-movement clause, and the Toronto media limited his value.
that's really why i hate no trade clauses, you never know what's going to happen over the course of a long contract and to be stuck with minimal returns is just.... yuck. i just don't really think he needed to be traded at all if that was the only value. i feel like more could've been gotten at the trade deadline after seeing how he performed under babcock and with teams more desperate as they gear up for the playoffs. i mean, vermette got a guaranteed first round pick + a prospect at the trade deadline, and kessel is a million times better.

even kesler, who had a no trade clause coming out of vancouver, got a better return, and kessel is definitely the better player.

it's just a disappointing trade imo, esp since kessel is one of my favorite players now going to a major rival for low return :(

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
in case anyone wasn't already aware, I was masturbating furiously from morning until night on draft day

Effin' SABRES man.

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Shout out to the Maple Leafs for the off season entertainment at the expense of their rebuild progress

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)