What kind of cellphone do you use?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hmm that's dope. Would you recommend it?
Its pretty great. Only thing is the relatively higher cost compared to the standard s6 when the only difference is a slightly better screen. I only went with the edge because my friend works with a phone company and gave me an insanely good deal on it, but if you're on a budget I'd give serious thought to the s6 as an alternative.

I've recently gotten a Samsung S6 Edge, and as superficial as it sounds: It is a 'pretty' device, which is something I've always appreciated however vain it may make me appear. The camera is great and as with most Android phones, I find it very easy to use in terms of downloads/apps and so on so forth. BUT...there are two major flaws that irk me. One, the battery life is horrific and secondly it does barely anything to exploit the edge-screen's potential features.

So basically, it functions almost identically to its cheaper counter part in the S6 but it is a tad more pleasing to the eye. If anyone's deciding between the two, it's aesthetic versus practicality

I just upgraded to an iPhone 6 two months ago. It works great but I've never owned a smartphone that wasn't an iPhone so I can't say I'm unbiased.

I've recently gotten a Samsung S6 Edge, and as superficial as it sounds: It is a 'pretty' device, which is something I've always appreciated however vain it may make me appear. The camera is great and as with most Android phones, I find it very easy to use in terms of downloads/apps and so on so forth. BUT...there are two major flaws that irk me. One, the battery life is horrific and secondly it does barely anything to exploit the edge-screen's potential features.

So basically, it functions almost identically to its cheaper counter part in the S6 but it is a tad more pleasing to the eye. If anyone's deciding between the two, it's aesthetic versus practicality
lollipop has a lot of bugs which drain battery life. you always take a big risk when adopting a new OS so soon after launch. expect battery life to improve over time as google releases software updates. oem skins are also notorious for draining battery life but I believe the latest iteration of touchwiz is quite light compared to past versions.

also, whether or not you want to admit it, phones are now indicative of many things outside of what a phone was originally meant to be. they are just as much a piece of jewelry as they are a piece of technology. there is nothing wrong with admiring a beautiful piece of hardware and the design philosophy / engineering behind it.

Last edited:

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't know what you're talking about... There were battery bugs in like the VERY first lollipop releases but they're more or less history now. My Moto G (1st gen) has a 1.5-2~ days worth battery life, on regular use. 3 days and above if I just leave it lying around during non-communicative spells.

It's more to do with people running shitty apps that keep running in the background and constantly maintain intermittent internet connection for prefetching.

Also: xda-developers are working on all kinds of cool apps that exploit the edge screen. Maybe keep an eye on that forum and pretty soon you'll find new gimmicky ways to pimp that gimmicky phone.

I just upgraded to an iPhone 6 two months ago. It works great but I've never owned a smartphone that wasn't an iPhone so I can't say I'm unbiased.
I'm greatly disappointed in the iPhone 6. Also bought it myself, and I barely see improvement compared to the iPhone 5. Or is it just me?

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not trying to be attention-seeking or funny, but I legitimately use a really old-fashioned nokia brick.

I've never really used mobile/cell phones throughout my life because a) I grew up in the country, so there was never really a pressure or need to do so and b) I've never really had a good phone, so there's no compulsion/desire to suddenly need one. I still talk to my friends outside of school, but this is 99% of the time online via my laptop. The only real reason I have my phone is for use in emergency, so I don't really spend any time using it unless I need to message or call one of my family members.

I'm the equivalent of a 'senior' in High school in Australia, and this is a really astonishing concept for most of my friends, who basically live with their hands in their phones (constantly checking fb, snapchat, whatever). In this sense, I suppose it's relatively useful in the sense that I've never really been addicted to using my phone, which I find many other teens are. Also not as helpful, but it's also a pretty humorous conversational tool as it always amazes people (or I can just drop it on the ground with my only worry being breaking the ground).

For reference, here's what it looks like.

I switched from my 4 year old 4S to an iPhone 6 yesterday after my 4S' screen shattered (got knocked out of my hand). I'm loving the 6, I have large hands so size isn't an issue. Visually, it looks as good as my girlfriend's HTC M8. I love all the compatibility with my family's Apple products. I haven't had that much time with it, but so far so good.

Sorry to ask, but what does 'irk' mean? :X

Arcueid

nah i'd win nah i'd win nah i'd win
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
I use the broken kind of cellphone, works pgreat but I'm thinking of switching to the iPhone 6 mainly because I have had a rough ride with Android.

I don't know what you're talking about... There were battery bugs in like the VERY first lollipop releases but they're more or less history now. My Moto G (1st gen) has a 1.5-2~ days worth battery life, on regular use. 3 days and above if I just leave it lying around during non-communicative spells.

It's more to do with people running shitty apps that keep running in the background and constantly maintain intermittent internet connection for prefetching.

Also: xda-developers are working on all kinds of cool apps that exploit the edge screen. Maybe keep an eye on that forum and pretty soon you'll find new gimmicky ways to pimp that gimmicky phone.
you need to keep in mind you're comparing a phone essentially built by google to one manufactured by samsung. they don't receive updates at the same time. just because the latest version of lollipop may have addressed battery life issues (which you would have earlier access to) does not mean every device is running it.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
fair enough. A 1.5 year old phone regularly getting out 36+ hours of usage is nothing but a fine testament to some kick-ass build quality.

Also: dropped it down a flight of stairs the other day (this is the 3-4th time). Back cover's chapped but the corning gorilla screen's a beast. A simple swap with another back cover (less than $3) and it's brand new.

Damn, I'm hyped about how they can improve this thing in Gen 3. Maybe full HD, but anything beyond 720p is a waste on so little screen real estate.

Last edited:
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (teal). I like it well enough. I really wanted an Android phone and I already have a tablet, plus the bigger phones are a little unwieldy. I don't need that huge a screen when I already have a tablet and can tether, so that isn't a problem. External storage was also really important to me because my tablet doesn't have that feature and I like to take my music with me. Happy with its performance and battery life. The price isn't bad either relative to the competition, which was a factor.

Here's my phone case because it's cute

Still running KitKat. I rooted it but haven't done much yet with it because I've been too busy to tinker.

Last edited:
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (teal). I like it well enough. I really wanted an Android phone and I already have a tablet, plus the bigger phones are a little unwieldy. I don't need that huge a screen when I already have a tablet and can tether, so that isn't a problem. External storage was also really important to me because my tablet doesn't have that feature and I like to take my music with me. Happy with its performance and battery life. The price isn't bad either relative to the competition, which was a factor.

Here's my phone case because it's cute

Still running KitKat. I rooted it but haven't done much yet with it because I've been too busy to tinker.
That case is super cute. Is it also available for iPhone?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. Have had some big problems with it lately so I will most likely be switching to the iPhone 6.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I have an iPhone 5S, hoping to switch to a Galaxy S6 very, very soon. I don't have a mac, do the ecosystem is irrelevant to me. I can't program for iPhones either, given my lack of a mac. Even if I were to go through the effort of getting a cracked osx, doing anything back end on an apple product is miserable, and as much as I like C++, I'd rather not.

This is my second iphone (my 4 just sort of stopped working lol), and between the atrocious battery life (far worse than even bad android battery lives) and lack of technical customization, I can't wait to switch away from Apple. :)

Excited to try out android life. Thank goodness this new generation of phones came out. It's much easier to pick (s6) than last gen.

I currently do not use a cellphone, though I am planning to get an iPhone 5s mostly because where Imma get it it's cheap.

Admittedly, I mostly want it to listen to music, but the iPod 5 is more expensive where I found it.

Went from Android(RAZR MAXX) to Apple(iphone4s) to Android(Galaxy s5) and finally to Apple(iphone6) again.

Not going back to Android anytime soon. I personally hate them, but kept reading and believing they be more freeing than the iPhone's. But I actually love the clean flow of the iPhone's and the whole software.

I've got both a Sony Xperia Z2 and an iPhone 5C. I'm using my 5C as my main drive at the moment cos im finding that since my Sony got updated to 5.0.2 its covered with bugs such as play music not working well and having to reset my phone everytime i wanna close an app. my 5C is working like a dream right now so going to stick with that for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)