Sample Teams for VGC15

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lucariojr thought it'd be cool to post the teams we used at regionals here. I ended up going 6-2 in swiss and bubbling out of top cut at #20. lucariojr ended up going 7-1 in swiss and made it to top 8. Here's my team, hopes you guys find it enjoyable!

TEAM HEAVY METAL HORSES

I'm pretty satisfied with the team! It struggles against a few things (fire types with sub) but it put in work vs near everything else. A big thanks to Harrison Sayler who got me interested in the Clefairy / Metagross / Breloom core this team was originally centered around and lucariojr and Jio for helping me refine the team into this.

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 20 SpA / 60 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Moonblast
- Protect

I've wanted to use a Friend Guard user since back in 2012. It's nice there's finally a viable user out there. Clefairy's EVs are the same ones on site and let it live Adamant Mega Kangaskhan's Double Edge at full health among other things like Adamant Bisharp's Iron Head. It worked nicely to protect the frailer, more offensively inclined members of the team like Virizion and Hydreigon. Metagross also liked using it for subs.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Substitute
- Protect

Mega Metagross with a sub is pretty intimidating and Clefairy makes it pretty easy to get one. I changed Zen Headbutt to Ice Punch really late into play testing since I was running into a whole lot of Landorus-T and Salamence. It was an iffy choice since it leaves Metagross open vs Fire and Water-types and I'm not sure it was the best choice for the regional in the end. I had gotten really fond of Substitute and Ice Punch and got risky and really meta specific picking both. Still, Metagross came in for 7/8 games and was a really valuable asset with Iron Head and Sub alone.

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Virizion was probably the star of the show that day. There were a whole lot of sand teams in Georgia and Virizon did terrifically vs them. I found myself very often setting things up for Virizion to do work with Clefairy to defend him. It's also probably the most uncommon Pokemon on the team (which is weird given there's a NFE) but it's nothing super weird.

This team originally revolved around a core of Metagross, Clefairy, and Breloom, Clefairy and Breloom working together on the premise of Breloom being able to spore saftely. I talked the team over with lucariojr and jio and they weren't the biggest fan based on how frail, slow, and rng dependant breloom was and suggested this as a similar alternative. I was hooked after a few games. Virizion's a really cool anti meta Pokemon. It deals with Kangaskhan, Rotom-W, Suicune, and helps with rain and sun (Virizion can't be slept by Venusaur and can outspeed and OHKO Charizard with Stone Edge).

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Suicune works really well with Metagross and Virizion, giving them a speed boost and taking out Fire-types and Landorus. The EVs are the same as on site and allow Suicune to outspeed Landorus-T under Tailwind and OHKO it with Ice Beam. The rest was dumped into defense. Suicune was a pretty rad Pokemon for this team, opening up and closing out games on Tailwind.

Rotom-H @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power
- Protect

Rotom-H kicks off the "techs" section; the above four were kind of the main core and these two filled in for certain match ups. The team wasn't too comfortable vs Amoonguss or Steel-types that resist Fighting and could use some levitating Pokemon. Rotom-H did that and gave me a load of really synergetic resistances to switch into. The EVs here let it outspeed max speed neutral natured base 70s (namely politoed and bisharp). Special Attack's maxed and the rest is dumped into HP

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast

Hydreigon rounded out the team. I needed ways to dent Cresselia, Aegislash, and Gengar and wanted to complete the Fairy - Dragon - Steel core. Hydreigon filled in both rolls. It put in work when it got out, but it felt awkward dancing around being Choice locked, even with Clefairy. This was probably my least used member, I think only accompanying me for two games.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Virizion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 20 SpA / 60 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Moonblast
- Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Expert Belt
Level: 56
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Level: 54
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Substitute
- Protect
6-2 and 7-1 huh? I went to the Kansas City regionals, and got a fucking miserable 3-5, largely due to hax. Enough to make me seriously consider Lucky Chant Togekiss. I love the FWG + DSF though.
Putting aside things like 3 consecutive Dark Pulse flinches and a basically impossible 2HKO from 2 crits in the same turn, I'd say my team did really well, surpised a lot of people, and even had one guy fuming and calling me an asshole during the entire 10 minute game. Nothing says "wtf" like OHKOing a Suicune with a Water move, in the Sun. I did flub up and lock my battle box with the wrong Pokémon in it though xD

Charizard @ Charizardite-Y
Modest, 228 HP, 28 Def, 212 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 36 Speed.
Ability: Blaze (Drought)

- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Fire Pledge
- Ancientpower

Drought is life. Drought is love. Drought is all.
This is an odd set for Megazard, I know, but it's a team specific thing. Solarbeam was, by far, my least useful and most unclicked button, and since I was running 3 starters with my Fire/Water/Grass core, I decided to try the Pledge trio - and bo oh boy was I glad I did. This specific trio packs good Speed control and an incredibly useful, and utterly devastating, nuclear bomb with almost no repurcussion, but Pledges will be covered later.
Ancientpower is very underused and underrated, but it does make Charizard highly adept at removing other Char-Y and Talonflame; and Char-Y was very common at KC. Also helps against Mence and Gyarados, pushing Rock Slide 3HKOs into 2HKOs. Outruns max Speed Adamant Bisharp by a few points in order to creep bulky Zapdos/Mega Kanga that float just above Bisharp. Bulk survives Rocky Helmet Garchomp's Rock Slide, and has amazingly useful Special bulk. I was very happy with the power and bulk, though I may make / suggest more Speed for Smeargle and Breloom...

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Modest, 156 HP, 4 Def, 244 Sp. Atk, 12 Sp. Def, 92 Speed
Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)

- Grass Pledge
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb

I'm a bit torn on Venusaur, as it honestly rarely attacks, and is most often used as a "speed boost" for Charizard, a distraction, and occasionally death fodder. The Mega, however...
Chlorophyll makes Venusaur faster than Scarf Modest Hydreigon / baiscally everything, and with Chloro+Tailwind it's still probably faster than you even when Paralyzed. Why no Sleep Powder? It misses. If it hits, you get a one turn, usually useless, sleep. Can't count how many games I lost to Sleep Powder. Leech Seed, however, hits, and is great for tackling Aegislash, Cresselia, Garchomp, and basically eveything.
Evs, hits as hard as possible, Speed already explained, rest in HP for bulk. In Mega form, hits very hard (2HKOs most non-resists), it's still pretty tough with Leech Seed + Protect stall, and Tailwind achieves Chlorophyll level Speed for sweeping.
May run a Bold spread, Chlorosaur kills very little and I lose a lot of potential bulk.

Swampert @ Life Orb
Modest, 188 HP, 4 Def, 236 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 76 Speed
Ability: Torrent

- Water Pledge
- Wide Guard
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

The only mon I brought to every game. Swampert supports every single member of the team, primarily Charizard, in a way nothing else really accomplishes. Highly anti-meta, it crushes Landog, Heatran, Mega Mence, Aegislash, Thundurus, Zapdos, Terrakion, Garchomp, Talonflame (out of Sun, that is), Mega Metagross, and slew of others with its amazing coverage, and stops Rock Slide panicspamming dead in its tracks. Scald and Muddy Water were a bit faulty, but Water pledge accomplished everything I needed - and my jaw pretty much fell off on my 2nd match thanks to Water Pledge. All in all, Swampy was magnificent. And really proved the superiority of my set when it KO'd a slower, Expert Belt Swampert.
LO buffs neutral hits for much needed extra damage, and also 2HKO's bulky Thundurus (which saved my ass). Also helps squeak you down to Torrent range (66 HP or less) for horrifying STAB damage.
Speed outruns max Speed Thundurus-I in Tailwind, near max Sp. Atk for the Thundy 2HKO / Talonflame OHKO, rest in bulk. Absolutely no disappointment.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly, 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed

- Close Combat
- Quick Guard
- Protect
- Rock Slide

At least twice, I said "Son of a bitch why did I say 'yes lock the box', I need Mienshao so bad right now". Terrakion does 93% of what Mienshao does, but that 7% in Fake Out and nuclear HJK's cost me dearly in 2 matches.
Basic point: he's here to kill Mega Kangaskhan (which just laughs at pretty much any FWG core), Heatran (Swampy gets double targeted and worn down fast), Char-Y (for Mega Venusaur, and to make Ancientpower much more unexpected), Talonflame (in Sun, poops on my entire team), and to have SOMETHING faster than Jolly Breloom. Quick Guard because fuck Prankster, Talonflame, and Mega Khan.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Modest, 252 HP, 4 Def, 172 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 76 Speed
Ability: Stance Change

- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Substitute
- Flash Cannon

I love the guy that said "Really? There are two things I hate in this world - Mega Venusaur, and Aegislash. And you're the guy with a Mega Venusaur and a SUBSTITUTE Aegislash, side by side?"
Aegislash stomps The Big 3 in Mega Kanga, Mega Metagross, and Mega Salamence, along with Terrakion, Cresselia, and pretty much every Fairy. It's also an unusually fast Sub variant, based on Swampert's EVs, that outruns max Speed Thundy and torments the living fuck out of anything unlucky enough to be slower than it. Also works fantastically with Togekiss' redirects as a Sub'd Aegislash is very pressuring. This one slaughters opposing Aegislash as well. Needed something to crush Cresselia and cover Rock / Flying / Ice / Psychic / etc. Sun hurts him a bit, but all in all works great. Forms a horrifying defense with Mega Venusaur, though Char-Y / Talonflame / heatran are problematic. Hence Terrakion.
Swampy does Wide Guard better, and SubSlash is going out of style, which really surprised people and came in very useful against an obvious Protect.

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Calm, 252 HP, 52 Def, 4 Sp. Atk, 116 Sp. Def, 76 Speed
Ability: Serene Grace

- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Follow Me
- Dazzling Gleam

The final slot, focused on filling in a few gaping holes. My team is slow. So slow, an Adamant Gyarados runs circles around it - without a DD. It NEEDS tailwind. Team is bulky, my matches often last 8+ turns, so it needs to be bulky to set 2 or more Tailwinds. Aside from Aegislash, all hope is lost when you see Salamence and Clefairy in team preview. So I ended up with this.
Fairy + Flying + Follow Me completely solved the "Hydreigon wrecks everything" problem, and Dazzling Gleam 2HKO's 4/0 MegaMence (This and Tailwind are why Clefable flunked) and ignores Follow Me Clefable. EVs?
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Togekiss: 162-190 (84.3 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Togekiss: 76-90 (39.5 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 116+ SpD Togekiss: 79-94 (41.1 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 116+ SpD Togekiss: 148-174 (77 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 116+ SpD Togekiss: 122-146 (63.5 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Togekiss: 159-190 (82.8 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Outruns +1 Jolly Gyarados, and Scarf Landog in Tailwind. Follow Me lets Aegislash dick over everything, and keeps big hits off of Char-Y and Swampy while they wreak havok. Sitrus is preffered, as it's meant to take Special hits just as much as it wants to take Khan and MegaGross Zen headbutts. Air Slash is because I'm sick of losing matches to 3-4 flinches straight and decided to return fire. Why Calm over Bold? I had a Calm Kiss ready to go, but needed to breed a Bold one and was simply too lazy. See Pyrite's post for a Bold Togekiss.

Team lacks Status of any sort, cringes against well supported Heatran, and has no hope against the uncounterable PerishTrap since nothing has U-Turn. Speed is bad, and once your foe uses Tailwind you really have no hope of outspeeding anything without Tailwind Chlorosaur or Swamp effects.

Slower user uses the Combined pledge, using its Sp. Atk + typing. With my team, Chlorosaur is the fastest, then Char-Y, then Mega Venusaur, then Swampy. Meaning, Char-Y and Swampy do the attacking. New ORAS mechanic makes the second use move immediately after the first, ignoring Speed / priority/etc much like After You, which astronimically increased the viability of these moves.

Fire + Grass: becomes Fire Pledge (Combined), Sea of Fire effect for 4 turns.
This is really the prominent feature of the team. VenuZard is an almost brainless combo, but has no shortage of faults: Scarf Landog, Mega Kangaskhan, Cresselia, opposing Char-Y, Virizion, they really don't care. However, thanks to Pledges... Scarf Landog and every variant of Khan and cresselia, are utterly obliterated before they even get to move. Venusaur simply outruns after a double Protect, clicks Grass Pledge, and then Char-Y instantly fires off the most horrifying Special attack you'll ever see, Landog, bulky Mega Khan, and even Cresselia eat a swift OHKO. They never see it coming, and once they see it, it's too late - if you aren't a Garchomp, Chansey, or 4x resist, you're dead. The Sea of Fire roasts the opposing team for 1/8th max HP per turn, eliminating Sash/Sturdy and picking off the few things that survive (like 252/252+ Cress and Clefairy). Because the attack uses Char-Y's Sp. Atk + STAB, it always poses a massive threat at any given moment and makes the duo far more dangerous than a Solarbeam + Sleep Powder Char-Y and Venusaur. Math:

Pledge * Combo Bonus * Sun * STAB
(((80*2)*1.5)*1.5) = 360

Yes. 360 power. Coming off of 159 base Sp. Atk. Good luck tanking that one.
Note: do not aim at densely populated cities. Aim for pink instead.

212+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Pledge (Combined) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cresselia in Sun: 204-240 (89.8 - 105.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO (Guarenteed after Sea of Fire, unless Sitrus)

Mega Venusaur misses Giga Drain a bit, but Leech Seed helps allieviate that.

Now, with the raw power and Speedhax of Fire Pledge out of the way, let's focus on the secondary combo: Water + Grass.

Water + Grass: Becomes Grass Pledge (Combined). Swamp effect for 4 turns.
I don't often use this, as Swampy + Venusaur aren't often paired together, despite decent synergy. In Sun, it's nice to fire off in order to have surprise Speed control, and with Mega Venusaur + Swampert it's an effective attack that again counteracts Tailwind or just grants a Speed advantage. Despite the lack of STAB, Swampert actually hits harder with a combined Grass Pledge than Mega Venusaur does with an uncombined one. This combo did create an amazing victory for me in the KC regionals by KOing a Suicune that was well out of Venusaur's grasp and creating a Swamp as soon as my Tailwind ran out - securing absolute Speed control plus a key KO.
Maths:

244+ SpA Mega Venusaur Grass Pledge vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 128-152 (61.8 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236+ SpA Life Orb Swampert Grass Pledge (Combined) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 172-203 (83 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Water + Fire: Should never be used on this team, ever. Complete waste of 2 turns, and the rainbow is useless to a team almost entirely devoid of secondary effects. Does not stack with Serene Grace.
Perfect for a really humilating finish, or just ineffectively spreading gay support.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Gonna post my team as well, even though I only got 3-3 at UK nats with it (had to leave early due to bad organizers and to catch my last train home), and I feel like my losses were from playing badly (and lack of experience with the team) and not from the team itself.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 44 HP / 164 Atk / 44 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Protect

The main mega of the team. Bisharp's recent drop and togekiss' redirection meant I wasn't very worried about sucker punches. Substitute would've been nice against other mega kangaskhan but I found ice punch to be far more useful, giving me a way to quickly eliminate salamence, thundurus, and landorus.

EVs are stolen from here, though they could easily be improved since that spread was designed for a substitute set. The extra bulk was very useful though, and it turned out that this set has a 25% chance to survive mega gengar's shadow ball, even though I ended up losing that match.

I considered dropping zen headbutt for hammer arm, but in testing and practice, zen headbutt consistently hit many neutral targets that otherwise would've resisted metagross' other moves.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 60 HP / 180 Def / 132 SpA / 4 SpD / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower

Metagross' partner in crime and my team's other heavy hitter. The EVs were again stolen from here and the bulk saved its ass many times, as it survives adamant lando-t's superpower and easily KO's back. Hydreigon + togekiss was also a useful lead to quickly nuke something at the beginning of the game with draco meteor, and hydreigon helped my team against cresselia, heatran, and aegislash which otherwise they would struggle with.

I ended up never using flamethrower but I don't know what I would replace it with.

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 4 SpA / 12 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Tailwind
- Air Slash
- Protect

Brought this to every battle and it always pulled its weight. I love redirection and also wanted some speed control that wasn't icy wind, so I used togekiss over clefable for the tailwind. Also because tailwind + air slash is deliciously trolly for buying me turns. EVs let it survive LO bisharp iron head and most variants of metagross' iron head (can't survive adamant 252 but can survive jolly 252 and most adamant) WITH one turn of sand/hail damage! Speed lets it outspeed adamant scarf lando by one point under tailwind.

Rotom-Wash @ Rindo Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 84 Def / 164 SpA / 4 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Another pokemon I brought to almost every game and who helped the team far more than I anticipated. I wanted a bulky water, an electric move, and more speed control, and rotom-w filled the role perfectly. Thunder wave was used over will-o-wisp because originally I had an arcanine on this team, but even after I removed it I ended up sticking with thunder wave anyway. It's a great way to neutralize so many fast pokemon, and unlike tailwind, is (mostly) permanent.

The EVs survive adamant mega kanga double edge, outspeeds adamant scarf lando by one point under tailwind, and OHKO's 4/0 terrakion with hydro pump.

The rindo berry is an odd item choice, but my sitrus berry was already used. The berry lets me survive charizard Y's solar beam (which otherwise I didn't have enough EVs to survive) and either paralyze or thunderbolt it back, and helps me out a lot against rain and mega venusaur, buying me an extra turn before venusaur or ludicolo start recovering tons of health with their giga drains.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Protect

I flip flopped between this and virizion but ended up going with breloom mostly due to its more powerful grass attacks and stronger priority. Breloom was added to help me beat bulky waters (especially water+grounds like swampert and gastrodon) and clean up with mach punch.

While TheMantyke didn't like breloom for the unreliable sleep timer, most of the time I used spore as a threat and not as a move it would actually use, most of the time opting to attack with it instead. On the other hand, spore did help me out a ton against a trick room team, so I wouldn't replace it.

Rock tomb was a serious contender for the third slot (having some rock coverage would've probably helped me out a lot against all of the thundurus I encountered, most of which just immediately taunted me), but spore definitely proved its worth.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 40 Atk / 220 SpA / 244 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Swapped in the evening before over an arcanine with no regrets. Blaziken's job was to plug holes the rest of my team had trouble with -- heatran, kanga, landorus, thundurus (to an extent), aegislash, and terrakion. It's always fun seeing people assume it was a fully physical set, swapping out their kangaskan for their lando-t, only to get bopped with an HP ice, even though this mixed set isn't anything new. I chose superpower over low kick and high jump kick for the more immediate damage and lack of recoil, as blaziken could hit both specially and physically and was frequently swapped out anyway.

Blaziken + togekiss was a very good lead against double genies or kanga + lando. Every time they would expect blaziken to protect on the first turn, and every time lando ended up KO'd on the first turn, with togekiss absorbing the fake out or thunder wave.

--

My team struggles against charY, especially with a venusaur partner, as it carries no rock moves to hit charizard with and my other super effective attacks to both of them are on pokemon that are weak to them. Luckily I only ever faced one when practicing with someone in the queue and not in the actual tournament. I also completely flubbed against a encore+disable mega gengar team -- I led with togekiss+hydreigon, and the mega gengar ended up carrying dazzling gleam. Metagross + togekiss would've been a better matchup.

Last edited:

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 40 Atk / 220 SpA / 244 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Swapped in the evening before over an arcanine with no regrets. Blaziken's job was to plug holes the rest of my team had trouble with -- heatran, kanga, landorus, thundurus (to an extent), aegislash, and terrakion. It's always fun seeing people assume it was a fully physical set, swapping out their kangaskan for their lando-t, only to get bopped with an HP ice, even though this mixed set isn't anything new. I chose superpower over low kick and high jump kick for the more immediate damage and lack of recoil, as blaziken could hit both specially and physically and was frequently swapped out anyway.
The EVs are unexplained: what does it outrun? What does 40 Atk LO Superpower KO?
Always wanted to run Blaziken, ideally in Sun, so I'm kinda curious on the set and don't feel like figuring it out right now, I've hit my pokemath quota for the day :P
Offensive core of MegaGross + Hydreigon + Blaziken seems very intimidating. I like it. Team is much more "pick up & kill shit" than mine, which imo is better for this thread.

Oh and I'm done editing mine, if anyone cares. Pardon the huge textwall.

The EVs are unexplained: what does it outrun? What does 40 Atk LO Superpower KO?
Always wanted to run Blaziken, ideally in Sun, so I'm kinda curious on the set and don't feel like figuring it out right now, I've hit my pokemath quota for the day :P
Offensive core of MegaGross + Hydreigon + Blaziken seems very intimidating. I like it. Team is much more "pick up & kill shit" than mine, which imo is better for this thread.

its not my spread but from looking at it, it outspeeds lando thats obv what he was going for there.

it seems hes running enough spa to ohko 252/76 aegi with overheat, then the rest went into attack(and hp for maximizing evs i guess). unless the attack does something specific and the aegi thing is a coincidence but whatever, the spread does these things.

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

I use a very similar spread, so I sort of know what the EVs do. The Speed outspeeds Adamant Scarf Landorus after 1 Speed Boost, I know 196 SpA 1HKOs Salamence with HP Ice all the time (not sure what 220 does though), and the rest is in Attack which nearly guarantees the 1HKO on bulky Kangaskhan.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
its not my spread but from looking at it, it outspeeds lando thats obv what he was going for there.

it seems hes running enough spa to ohko 252/76 aegi with overheat, then the rest went into attack(and hp for maximizing evs i guess). unless the attack does something specific and the aegi thing is a coincidence but whatever, the spread does these things.
I use a very similar spread, so I sort of know what the EVs do. The Speed outspeeds Adamant Scarf Landorus after 1 Speed Boost, I know 196 SpA 1HKOs Salamence with HP Ice all the time (not sure what 220 does though), and the rest is in Attack which nearly guarantees the 1HKO on bulky Kangaskhan.
Sorry I forgot to mention that I got the blaziken from a friend the evening before, and that's the spread it had at the time. But those sound like good explanations!

here's the team i took to georgia regionals this past weekend and placed 6th with. the EVs are probably wrong and i'll leave out some spreads (maybe i'll go back and fix them) because i'm going off memory here. i'm going to explain what my spreads did though, so if you're interested in using this team, fiddle with a damage calc a little and you should have a carbon copy.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 136 SpA / enough to outspeed landog plus a little extra speed to speed creep. rest in HP.
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power Ground
- Protect

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: max SpA / hits 109 speed / rest in HP
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Ice
- Protect

Heatran @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: max HP / 44 Def / rest in SpA (i used the wrong heatran here, will explain in a bit)
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 132 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 4 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def (?)
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Super Fang

Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 244 HP / enough SpD to live amoonguss giga drain and water attacks in sun / rest in Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Drill Run
- Protect

I'll say upfront that this team was heavily inspired by someone else's team that I saw on another regs stream. In fact, it's the same six as the guy (whose name I can't remember at the time of writing). I didn't have anything better to run to be quite honest, and the six looked really solid, especially since I was hearing some good things about rhyperior+cress at the time. It also catered to my playstyle of having two separate modes to one team and it fulfilled my somewhat misguided desire to use Mega Charizard Y, so I decided to run with it after looking at it in a teambuilder (aka, my ingame battle box). I happened to have 4 out of the 6 Pokemon already as well, so that definitely helped things since I was planning the team the Wednesday before the regional.

While I did use a team preview screen as reference, I didn't have any prior knowledge of any sets because streaming sucks at my house apparently. I did see Super Fang Scrafty for a brief second, so that's pretty much the extent of how hard I netdecked it. Going into making the sets, I knew:

1. Heatran's damage output is dumb, even with sun, without a Life Orb, so it gets the Life Orb. This is kinda the logic Aegislash runs on nowadays as well.
2. Expert Belt Venusaur is kind of lame as well, so Venusaurite is the next best thing. I don't think highly of double mega venu+zard otherwise.

Those two decisions pretty much cemented every other set. Using offensive Mega Venusaur definitely caught some people off guard throughout the day, and is probably my favorite way to use it, since ultra defensive Venusaur has a tendency to just kinda sit there and do nothing and die in vain if it happens to take a little too much damage while offensive M-Venu is much more efficient at killing Fairies/Waters/Landorus. Life Orb Heatran definitely pulled its weight as well, but by round 2 I discovered I was using the wrong Heatran (I wanted Timid and a faster spread) and almost cost me in a round where I had to face a Bisharp, because contrary to what you might think of a team with two Fire-types, a Ground-type and a Fighting-type, this team doesn't really like Bisharp. Otherwise, there wasn't much difference since it had the right moves anyway.

Cresselia's SpA investment hits some 'ok' benchmarks, but it's usually helped by any Fake Out damage Scrafty provides. I usually Fake Out targets like Landorus-T and Mega Salamence to get them into range for both Cresselia and regular Venusaur (without a boosting item, Venusaur can't OHKO these guys 100% of the time, but it actually doesn't come into play much in my experience), and Super Fang helped pick up KOs as well. It, along with Knock Off gave Scrafty a lot of utility even when it got burned, which is a problem I had with Scrafty last season. Also, Hidden Power Ground Charizard-Y was basically a requirement to keep my sun lead from being pooped on by Heatran.

I think Rhyperior is overhyped. Do I like it? Yeah, it's got great dual STABs for the metagame and is a beefy monster, but it's either carrying the team or being complete dead weight (the option to leave it on the bench is often a favorable one against some teams), and it seems like there's absolutely no in-between. I tried to conserve it in some games, which was probably a mistake given the nature of the Weakness Policy, so maybe I'm just playing it wrong. It was definitely fun to use though and it definitely did pick up some hype KOs on Milotics after a WP boost, so maybe Rhyperior is like Captain Falcon in Smash Bros? Anyway, I think I'd rather give it another item if I were to use it again, but oh yeah we don't have any Gems to slap on it, do we? Forget I said anything, then.

As for the team as a whole... I think it has a pretty bad matchup with the sand+Mega Salamence core that's going around on Battle Spot right now and was the team that user: CT MikotoMikasa used to beat me in both round 2 and top cut. I also don't particularly care for the Kangaskhan matchup since nothing really OHKOs it, though it's most certainly playable. I think my Mence+sand matchup is playable as well, since my round 2 game was incredibly close and my first game of my set with Angel went smoothly more or less, so I think I can attribute my loss to me losing my nerve in the second game of our set. After the first round of Top Cut I knew I would have to fight him again, so I went over my notes and formulated a little game plan to follow, which I promptly abandoned after getting flinched with Scrafty and failing to pick up a critical knockout (or, if he had Chople, some nice damage to put it into range for another attack).

It's really easy to get outled with this team and things can go downhill very fast, as is the case with a lot of teams like this one. I think the attitude I went into regionals with helped a lot as well, as a lot of my opponents that had nice teams simply second guessed themselves one turn and kinda went on tilt because of that (sometimes visibly). A prime example of this is one of my opponents with a solid Goth+Mawile team who switched in their Mawile turn two into a very dangerous position and was promptly roasted by Heatran. I'm not going to diss my opponents (you guys had cool teams!!) but calm down and make better choices next time. Maybe I should take my own advice when I'm in top cut lol.

Anyway, I can't really go into detail about my matches at this point because I didn't record them and I only have team preview notes. Sorry if anyone wanted to read my disjointed play-by-plays (I usually skim/skip that section of NuggetBridge reports anyway haha).

Last edited:
Although this thread is quickly turning into 'What we used this weekend' I do really wanna share this team. It's fun to use and I don't think it's overly complicated for anyone wanting to use it.

So this is the team I got to top32 with at UK Nationals, my first event larger than a PC. I placed 15th after swiss with a record of 7-2 before losing in my t32 match against a friend.

I made it just to have a bit for fun at a PC but it turned out to be pretty good so I continued working with it.
M-Hera's huge base 185 Atk, combined with several 120+ base power moves, is why I chose it as the M-evolution. Also I've never seen anyone use it before so I wanted to give it a fair shot.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 84 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Protect

On the rare occasion I've seen someone use a M-Hera team they're usually going max Attack with the rest split between Speed and HP. I don't like this approach and instead went with a much bulkier spread.
The defensive EVs let it take a Hydreigon's Choice Specs 252+ Draco Meteor and a M-Kang's 252+ Double Edge.
36+ Atk still hits a massive 231, which with several really strong attacks is still doing fantastic damage.
132 speed lets you hit 112 after M-evolving. This makes it faster than 252+ base 100 pokemon like M-Kang and Charizard when they're at -1 (from Electroweb/Icywind) and with Tailwind it's even faster than 252+ M-Aerodactyl.

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 84 Def / 92 SpA / 60 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Snarl
- Tailwind

Pretty much a normal Suicune.
Even HP number to get Sitrus recovery immediately after a Super Fang. Can't exactly remember what the rest of the defensive EVs do, I made it back in December.
92SpA is the minimum needed for the 100% KO on 4/0 Lando-T with Ice Beam.
28Spe lets it outrun M-Sceptile with Tailwind up.
Snarl is just fantastic but Icy Wind could be used just as well.

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Pretty standard Terrakion, first of the CharY checks. I like Quick Guard in the '4th' slot, pranksters a pain. Other options are viable of course. For instance I quite like Stone Edge for getting around CharY + Wide Guard or just KOing Thundurus clean.

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 188 HP / 4 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

76 Spe lets it move before 252+ base 111s and slower with tailwind up. Mostly used for bopping M-Metagross who is otherwise a bit of a threat. Also gives you a solid chance of being faster than Sylveon which means you can Flash Cannon before it attacks rather than having to play it more defensively with Wide Guard. Flash Cannon + a spread Rock Slide from Terrakion should KO most Sylveon, just as an fyi.
The rest of the EVs was me finding the compromise between bulk and SpA.
Goggles is great on Wide Guard Aegislash, that and I like to have at least one pokemon that can happily sit in front of Breloom and Amoonguss.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

Another standard build. Earth Power over Fire Blast 'cause I like taking on Mawile in rain. The higher damage on Amoonguss could be pretty nice though.
In order to support Hera I needed ways to handle Aegislash, Hydreigon is the first of these.

Rotom (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 164 HP / 204 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Electroweb

EVs let it survive Jolly M-Kang's Return, OHKO 252/20 CharY with Thunderbolt and out speed neutral base 70s with a point of creep.
My second option for handling Aegislash and OHKOing CharY and it turns out Rotom-H needs Choice Specs to do the latter. It also 2HKOs bulky Heatran and OHKOs 4/0 Bisharp with Thunderbolt. It makes handling opposing Suicune, Jellicent and Milotic a bit easier as well, though it likely won't be a one-shot it'll do a hell of a lot to them.
Other options in the 4th slot would be Volt Switch and Trick. I went with Electroweb to have some spread, even if it was weak, and have the speed control option to assist Hera. Web won me more games than it probably should have.
Defensively Rotom-H is a much needed Fairy and Flying+Fire (read Talonflame) resist.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 84 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Protect

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 84 Def / 92 SpA / 60 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Snarl
- Tailwind

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 188 HP / 4 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

Rotom (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 164 HP / 204 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power
- Electroweb

I think it has a hard time with TR if they set it up. Happily though, nearly every TR setter is highly threatened by something on the team so you can stop them setting most of the time. Other than that and maybe Rotom-W is a little troubling but I think it's matchups are pretty decent.

I hope anyone that tries it out has as much fun with it as I have had.

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Well someone should probably post this:

For those of you unfamiliar with this, it is the sand team that was used by a Japanese player in the Japan cup, and has been used by many other people since (including Cybertron). This team has gotten pretty well-known recently, but the spreads used originally are still unknown. This is my take on the team, which is commonly referred to as "Japan Sand". Note that the Pokemon I used are what Cybertron used, the original team used an AV Azumarill over Rotom-W.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 Atk / 172 SpA / 236 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Assurance
- Superpower

Tyranitar is the sand setter for this team, and a Choice Scarf is used to get the jump on some frailer but faster Pokemon (like Thundurus). Rock Slide is your first STAB, and it is generally a good move to be locked into because of its decent neutral coverage and ability to flich far more often than 30% would suggest. Ice Beam hits Salamence hard, and can also be used to hit Lando on the switch. Assurance is a cool move when paired with Excadrill, because Excadrill can usually move before TTar to hit an opponent, then TTar follows up with a double-power Assurance. Superpower hits Kangaskhan and Hydreigon, but is more a filler than anything else.

The EV spread lets you outspeed Timid Max speed Thundurus and anything slower, 1HKO Salamence with Ice Beam and the rest go into attack to give Rock Slide a bit more punch.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Protect

Excadrill forms the second part of the sand core. Life Orb is used to increase damage output while not locking you into anything. Earthquake is your first STAB, and it hits very hard with LO. Rock Slide works with TTar well as mentioned before, and provides solid coverage with Earthquake (and even more flinches). Iron Head is your second STAB, and it KOs most Fairy types, and also flinches. Protect is probably the best move in VGC, and it is particularly useful on Excadrill because the opponent will often target it, allowing you to bring in a counter.

The EV spread is simple: hit hard, hit fast. Adamant over Jolly because under sand not many relevant things outspeed you (Jolly works fine too though).

Salamence @ Salamencite
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Salamence has really been gaining popularity recently, and is by far one of the best Megas currently (if not the best). A special set is used mainly for surprise factor, as many of Salamence's old checks don't take Hyper Voice very well. Hyper Voice is your STAB, and it hits decently hard after Aerilate. Dragon Pulse is your second STAB, and it hits Electric-types like Rotom for decent damage, as well as opposing Salamence. Fire Blast hurts most steel types, and rounds out the coverage nicely. Protect is Protect, and used for the same reasons as above.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 188 HP / 156 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Amoonguss is the team's main support mon, and it also helps the team against rain and TR. Giga Drain is your weak STAB, but it provides some recovery which is nice. Rage Powder is so clutch, even though it can't redirect attacks from Grass-types, it is still useful for redirecting attacks (particularly priority moves aimed at Excadrill). Spore shuts an opponent down for at least one turn, so it is useful if you need something crippled right away. Protect is again, Protect.

The EV spread is the same as GENGARboi's spread, and it survives a -1 Choice Band Talonflame's Brave Bird, as well as surviving a Kangaskhan Double-Edge most of the time, and a Mega Gardevoir Psychic most of the time.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 60 SpA / 148 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Rotom really helps this team beat bulky Waters, which it would otherwise struggle with. Hydro Pump is your first STAB, and it hits stuff like Heatran and Landorus hard (and misses a lot). Thunderbolt is your second STAB, hitting the previously mentioned bulky Water-types for decent damage. Will-O-Wisp is a great support move for controlling most physical attackers.

The EV spread is the standard one for Rotom-W, the Special Attack secures the 1HKO onto Landorus-T, the Special Defence lives a Modest Charizard-Y SolarBeam 100% of the time and the rest goes into Defence to let you live an Adamant Mawile Play Rough 100% of the time.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Aegislash is the final member on this team, and it functions as a strong and bulky attacker which also helps with Cresselia TR. Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon are STABs, and they hit most TR setters supereffectively, as well as stuff like Sylveon. Shadow Sneak isn't normally used on Aegislash, but it is very useful for getting some surprise KOs on weakened opponents. King's Shield lets Aegislash take advantage of its great bulk, and also serves the same purpose as Protect

This team is actually fairly simple to use, with TTar and Excadrill being the most common leads. For its simplicity however, this team can pose a challenge for even experienced players. I've found this team lets you very effectively gain a lot of points fast both on BS and PS, but be warned if you use it on PS and you get so much as one flinch...you will get flamed like there's no tomorrow.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 Atk / 172 SpA / 236 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Assurance
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Protect

Salamence @ Salamencite
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 188 HP / 156 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 60 SpA / 148 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Last edited:
you really want timid with mence

one of the biggest selling points is being able to outspeed other mence and hit them hard with dragon pulse (or meteor which guarantees the OHKO) and by going modest you get outsped by terrakion and subject yourself to strong stab rock slides that can flinch you vs being able to outspeed and 2ko terrakion and not risk a flinch chance

Pigeons

pidge pidge
you really want timid with mence

one of the biggest selling points is being able to outspeed other mence and hit them hard with dragon pulse (or meteor which guarantees the OHKO) and by going modest you get outsped by terrakion and subject yourself to strong stab rock slides that can flinch you vs being able to outspeed and 2ko terrakion and not risk a flinch chance
I could've sworn I set the nature to Timid .-. Anyways, I changed it, thanks.

Stay modest with Mence! - Terrakion user that loves flinch hax
Once I've got a few more succesfull team members, I might post my team here. I've got a small core thing that has a good degree of success though.

For the first team in the op, any reason not to run arcanine over entei?
Not really, no. Char-Y is already covered by Thundy and MegaKhan, and it covers the other main points of the slot. Entei combines STAB and WoW in one slot, and Fire + Rock is pretty bamf coverage; Arcanine has to run STAB + WoW, but gets better recovery / ability.

For the first team in the op, any reason not to run arcanine over entei?
It says in the description of the team that one of the things Entei is meant for is to hard-check Charizard Y with Stone Edge. Arcanine can't do that. Entei is also just as good as Arcanine in many ways. Who of them you want to use is kind of team dependent and also bit of personal preference.

I made this for local folks, but I'm pretty sure it would be appreciated here. It's a pastebin with Worlds and US Nationals teams, but with simplistic spreads.

http://pastebin.com/cwpdM1Gg
Gotta say, rapha's team is already up in Nugget Bridge:
http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/stand-garde-thee-2015-us-nationals-runner-report/
Same goes for Kumabe's:
http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/sca...15-world-championships-6th-place-team-report/

This will give more accurate spreads on what they used. Go wild n_n

For some reason wide guard does not stop dark void
Wide Guard only stops multi-target Special and Physical category moves - it does not block any Status category moves.
Use Crafty Shield (Klefki, Smeargle) if you want to block Dark Void. Or Prankster Safeguard (Whimsicott, Meowstic, etc), along with a few other methods.

Hey There!

Here is a a very tricky strategy:perish trap.It requires a lot of skill to actually know how to work with the team and using it in battles.I highly recommend VGC experts to use it,as it topped no.2 on the PS! VGC ladder.So here goes:

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 4 SpA / 28 SpD / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Disable
- Shadow Ball

Gengar is a must on every Perish Trap team.This is a very complicated EV spread,and the infamous disable+encore(Liepard has encore) helps Gengar to safely set up perish song,and cripple choiced users.

Gothitelle @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Heal Pulse
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap

Goth works with the rest of my team very well,therefore,she is responsible for keeping my teammates healthy and setting up trick room for my other slower mons.

Scrafty @ Eject Button
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 108 Def
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

My fake out user,and note that ghost types can switch out even with shadow tag,so scrafty will keep them in check.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 204 HP / 204 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Encore

I noticed that Char-Y would be a bit of a problem for my team,so i added politoed so i could have another perish song user.

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 124 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Encore
- Protect
- Taunt

Huraay for non attacking liepard,this was mandatory for my team.Liepard basically supports Gengar,and yes,i know taunt completely destroys this liepard,so what the best play to make when you see a taunt user is fake out to get some chip damage,and switch.

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Rotom is rotom,i just threw this in my team was to not let myself get shut down by taunt,and to keep land-t in check.

So here's the team,i hope VGC experts use this,and not only experts,people new to VGC should try this too,so they can learn more about this unexpected and tricky strategy.

Note:Thundurus with Taunt is REALLY BAD for this team,try to finish off thundurus before it wrecks the team.Char-y is a small problem to be noticed,it can destroy the team if politoed faints,try to keep politoed alive if you see a Char-Y.

Hey There!

Here is a a very tricky strategy:perish trap.It requires a lot of skill to actually know how to work with the team and using it in battles.I highly recommend VGC experts to use it,as it topped no.2 on the PS! VGC ladder.So here goes:

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 4 SpA / 28 SpD / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Disable
- Shadow Ball

Gengar is a must on every Perish Trap team.This is a very complicated EV spread,and the infamous disable+encore(Liepard has encore) helps Gengar to safely set up perish song,and cripple choiced users.

Gothitelle @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Heal Pulse
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap

Goth works with the rest of my team very well,therefore,she is responsible for keeping my teammates healthy and setting up trick room for my other slower mons.

Scrafty @ Eject Button
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 108 Def
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

My fake out user,and note that ghost types can switch out even with shadow tag,so scrafty will keep them in check.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 204 HP / 204 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Encore

I noticed that Char-Y would be a bit of a problem for my team,so i added politoed so i could have another perish song user.

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 124 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Encore
- Protect
- Taunt

Huraay for non attacking liepard,this was mandatory for my team.Liepard basically supports Gengar,and yes,i know taunt completely destroys this liepard,so what the best play to make when you see a taunt user is fake out to get some chip damage,and switch.

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Rotom is rotom,i just threw this in my team was to not let myself get shut down by taunt,and to keep land-t in check.

So here's the team,i hope VGC experts use this,and not only experts,people new to VGC should try this too,so they can learn more about this unexpected and tricky strategy.

Note:Thundurus with Taunt is REALLY BAD for this team,try to finish off thundurus before it wrecks the team.Char-y is a small problem to be noticed,it can destroy the team if politoed faints,try to keep politoed alive if you see a Char-Y.
That's not your team.

Last edited:
Not everyone knows about Shady and Wolfe,so i decided to do a favor to our smogon friends and giving them some info on that perish trap team that they built.Hope you understand ^_^
Well you commentated over the choice of Pokemon and such as if it was your team and you who built it, and you didn't mention that it was their team. That was really the main issue to me at least.

Well you commentated over the choice of Pokemon and such as if it was your team and you who built it, and you didn't mention that it was their team. That was really the main issue to me at least.
I do have to admit that i acted like it was my team,and i apologize for that.I will edit my post(when i have time) so I can give credit To Shady and Wolfe for the awesome team they built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)