ORAS OU The Omega Ruby Team

Hi everyone. I'm here tonight because I need help on improving the team on Omega Ruby. So far, it has good performance but I think it will become a lot stronger with all the necessary improvements. But I don't know what these improvements are. That's where you all come in.

Here's the Omega Ruby team so far:

Espeon
Nature: Timid
EV's: 6 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed
Ability: Magic Bounce
Held Item: Light Clay
Psychic
Dazzling Gleam
Reflect
Light Screen

The lead of the team! This Pokemon can bring entry hazards and status afflicting moves back at the opponent with the help of Magic Bounce and set up some defense for the Pokemon team. With the help of Light Clay, both Reflect and Light Screen can make Haxorus and Slowbro sweeping days easier as they need to take hits when setting up.

Psychic is there to deal damage to Pokemon with it's STAB bonus and Dazzling Gleam to counter certain Dark and Dragon type Pokemon like Scrafty and Hydreigon.

The drawbacks on this Pokemon though is that it can be easily be taken down by strong moves (especially those that are super-effective against it) so it must set up before it can be taken down by these threats. Also, it doesn't deal much damage to Steel types.

Haxorus
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Ability: Mold Breaker
Held Item: Lum Berry
Dragon Claw
Poison Jab
Superpower
Dragon Dance

Haxorus is the favorite of the team as it is a very powerful and dangerous Pokemon. Once it sets up with Dragon Dance, it'll become really hard for unprepared teams to deal with this force of nature. With Dragon Claw for maximum power, Poison Jab to counter Fairy/Grass types and Superpower to handle Steel, Rock, Ice and Normal types, it can leave huge dents to teams when used correctly.

Lum Berry is there to give the Pokemon a second chance to strike down on opponents when hit by a status afflicting move.

There are counters to this Pokemon that must be addressed. Speed priority moves like Ice Shard and Gale Wings Brave Bird are able to take down this Pokemon if possible. Plus, there are Pokemon capable of handling strong attacks and fight back at full force such as Rhyperior, Landorus-T and Ferrothorn.

Chansey
Nature: Bold
EV's: 252 HP/252 Sp.Def/6 Sp.Def
Ability: Natural Cure
Held Item: Eviolite
Seismic Toss
Toxic
Softboiled
Aromatherapy

One of the best Pokemon in this team with her superior defense with the help of Eviolite. This Pokemon can take a lot of hits and recovers from the damage it's taken with Softboiled. Many Pokemon Trainers have many problems with this Pokemon and it shows.

It has Toxic to wear down opponents and finish them off with Seismic Toss. Seismic Toss also works on handling Pokemon that resist poison.

Finally, she has Aromatherapy to get rid of all the status problems in the Pokemon team.

The drawbacks however is Fighting type Pokemon like Infernape and Breloom can easily crack her physical defense like an egg. To make matters worse, when Chansey's Eviolite has been taken away, she becomes vulnerable to more strong attacks. The other main threats to watch out for when she's out on the field is those who carry Taunt and Gengars. Chansey can do absolutely nothing when facing Gengars since it resists Toxic and Seismic Toss.

Talonflame
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Sp.Def
Ability: Gale Wings
Held Item: Choice Band
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
U-Turn
Will-O-Wisp

This Pokemon is the bird of the word in the Pokemon team as it's Gale Wings Brave Bird is very dangerous. It even does more damage when it holds Choice Band so not many Pokemon can take Brave Bird very well. Let's not forget Flare Blitz as well for those that resist Brave Bird and not a Fire type move at the same time. I'm talking to you Doublade. U-Turn is also there for scouting and cause damage to opposing Psychic and Dark types.

An odd choice for the last move but Will-O-Wisp is there to cripple physical sweepers and walls like Dragonite and Ferrothorn.

The disadvantages is that Stealth Rock can completely cripple Talonflame as it has double weakness to Rock types. When that happens, the Pokemon becomes a sitting duck so in order for Talonflame to keep going in Pokemon battles, The team must get rid of Stealth Rocks. It's recoil can also become a concern as well when facing those with both Rocky Helmet and an ability that deals damage when hit by a physical move like Garchomp in particular.

Donphan
Nature: Impish
EV's: 252 HP/196 Def/60 Sp.Def
Ability: Sturdy
Held Item: Leftovers
Earthquake
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Roar

This Pokemon can both set up Stealth Rock and get rid of opposing entry hazards that are roaming around on the team's field with Rapid Spin. This Pokemon is used to give Talonflame a bit of support when entry hazards are all over the place.

Earthquake is always a must since the Pokemon is a Ground type. It won't do any damage without an attack to be honest.

Now Roar is to stop opposing sweepers from having their fun or the Pokemon team would have a hard time handling them. An odd choice for a Pokemon but it can come in use when used correctly.

The disadvantages this Pokemon has is it can not damage Flying type Pokemon and those that have Levitate except with the use of Stealth Rock and Roar so those such as Gyarados with Taunt can give it a very bad day. The Pokemon has no reliable recovery moves aside from Leftovers so it has to set up Stealth Rock and get rid of entry hazards as fast as possible. Otherwise, it can be bad news for other team members.

In my opinion, this Pokemon might not get very far so chances are improvements are needed at this rate.

Slowbro
Nature: Bold
EV's: 252 HP/216 Def/42 Sp.Def
Ability: Regenerator
Held Item: Slowbronite
Scald
Psyshock
Slack Off
Calm Mind

The Pokemon that can Mega Evolve in the team and it's a tough Pokemon to take down as it has fantastic defense and with a few Calm Minds, it's VERY hard to take down. Critical hits won't be a worry either when Mega Slowbro has Shell Armor.

Scald and Psyshock can deal great damage after a few Calm Minds and can cause big problems when Scald leaves a burn on opponents.

Finally, Slack Off is to recover from all the damage it has taken, leaving the opponent heavily frustrated.

It has drawbacks though. Poison, Leech Seed and burn can wear down Slowbro, leaving it wide open for finishing blows. Strong physical attackers that have an advantage against it (like Scizor) can pulverize the Pokemon to a pulp! Also, Taunt can cripple it's walling strategy completely for a few turns. So, whenever Slowbro is out on the field, these threats are the ones to watch out for.

So there you have it! That's the Omega Ruby team. It might not look much but it does do pretty well. However, I know it can do even better after a few or many adjustments. Sorry if this looks rushed because I needed to get all the team details down before I can call it a day but please let me know what move sets I need to change or what Pokemon I need to replace in order to make it stronger. (It would be awesome if there are any underdogs needed for this team.)

Thanks for reading and happy battling!

Last edited:
  • It would be nice with PS importable sets.
  • You should have single paragraph descriptions
  • XY Battle Gifs are better than art
  • Chansey has weird evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpD. One: that's 256 SpDef EVs. Two: It doesn't need that much in HP, but more in Defence.
  • TFlame can't be trapped in Will-O-Wisp, do you want to get wiped
  • It should be ORAS OU RMT not XY OU.
  • Dragonite, Garchomp, Hydreigon etc are all better than Haxorus
  • If Donphan is KOed, so is TFlame that's risky.
  • No Speed EVs on TFlame. That's just completely wrong
I can think of more later, just PM and I'll get back to you. Hope you enjoy

• It would be nice with PS importable sets.
  • You should have single paragraph descriptions
  • XY Battle Gifs are better than art
  • Chansey has weird evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpD. One: that's 256 SpDef EVs. Two: It doesn't need that much in HP, but more in Defence.
  • TFlame can't be trapped in Will-O-Wisp, do you want to get wiped
  • It should be ORAS OU RMT not XY OU.
  • Dragonite, Garchomp, Hydreigon etc are all better than Haxorus
  • If Donphan is KOed, so is TFlame that's risky.
  • No Speed EVs on TFlame. That's just completely wrong
I can think of more later, just PM and I'll get back to you. Hope you enjoy
Thank you for the flaws of posting a team. I'll remember all of that next time.

Mur

If you're not first you're last
Hey man thanks for contacting me about your RMT! The team looks like it needs a lot of work though unfortunately :[ I'am kind of confused as to what direction the team is going in because you start with a lead, which is only found on hyper offense, and then go on to have haxorus and talonflame, which are mons commonly found on offense or sometimes balance, paired with chansey who is an extremely passive mon held exclusively to stall. Every successful team has a central focus on what it is trying to accomplish. Two very good threads found here and here explain how exactly to make a team with a central focus and other teambuilding information regarding synergy between mons and such. Also from some of your mon choices I can tell you are a bit newer to the meta as donphan is entirely unviable in the tier and band talon, while not bad, is a bit outdated and usually does not perform as good as the variants in today's meta. Take a look at the viability rankings found here which shows what mons are the top threats and what mons are viable in today's meta and also look at the set viability rankings found here which show every pokemon in the meta's viable sets and how good they are. I think those materials will help improve your knowledge of the oras ou metagame :D

Now onto the team. First I would change donphan to hippodon and espeon to latios. Hippodon is just all around a better pokemon than donphan and it certainly helps your defensive core out more with it's better longevity. Hippo gives your team a solid answer to talonflame and electrics that threaten other members of the team while also providing you with stealth rocks to aid in a slowbro/haxorus sweep late game. Leads do not really exist anymore outside of hyper offense, which this team is not, so I replaced espeon with latios to provide hazard removal for your team while also giving you a check to electrics, keldeo, and zard-y which threaten you otherwise.

Next I would make talonflame the sharp beak sd set. It virtually preforms the same role as band talon except it can set up and potentially be a win condition if the situation arises. Plus this set contains roost so talon can stay around for a lot longer than it can with the set you are using currently. Sd talonflame also threatens Msabeleye which can be really annoying for your team to deal with currently. All in all the sd set is just more efficient in oras than choice band.

The last change I would make is to swap chansey out for ferrothorn. Chansey is way too passive for a team like this and it usually just ends up killing momentum for the team. This is basically the glue mon of the team since it patches up weaknesses to offensive fairies namely Maltaria, non hp fire manaphy, the latis, and non hp fire kyurem-b.

Although the team may still be far from perfect I hope I helped improve the team and your abilities as a teambuilder:] I'l leave the changes in the tab below.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)