Project NU Pokemon Matchmaking v2 [Week 12 : Mega Audino]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok so sadly this week was very dead, but I hope I can bring this back to life. I decided to pick a mon that lost its best partner in the most recent tier shifts and as such wanna see if there is something that would still pair nicely with it. I am talking about...

This little colorful dino-bird is a really huge threat in NU and even has its own checks section in the Compendium, :o I also love this thing and I wanna see what you guys can come up with for partners.

P.S. please stick to posting one partner to make it fair to all the participants (and to get more entries :P).

+

Gurdurr form a great offensive core with Archeops, Gurdurr checks rock types as Rhydon and Carracosta that are common check bird and can get into things like Sneasel that is a offensive check of the bird. Archeops in turn can weaken poison and flying types for Gurdurr, like Garbodor and Xatu.

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge
- Roost
- Earthquake

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off

Last edited:
I wanna suggest Magmortar as a partner for Archeops. With his insane coverage, he is able to threaten almost everything that wants to come in on Archeops. Fire Blast hits Steel and Ice types, TBolt threatens Water Types, Earthquake demolishes Electric even without physical investment and HP Grass is for stuff like the ever present Lanturn or less common Swagsire. It also annihilates Kabutops who assume they can safely spin and then hit a warwrfall. There's no specific synergy to be pointed out other than that as far as I know, but the sheer amount of pressure these two can create on their own is truly impressive.

Then again, Magmortar is really impressive on its own merits. Wonder why he isn't seen more commonly.

Tarzon (Magmortar) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
+

Mixed Cacturne is an amazing offensive partner for nu's favorite burd. It's a pretty underrated wallbreaker with a typing that pairs well with Archeops and an ability to muscle past most of its counters like regirock, stunfisk, quagsire, etc. Getting up spikes on predicted switches can also aid both of these mons in cleaning up late game. On the other hand, Archeops also compliments Cacturne well because it can outpace a lot of the faster mons in the tier that keep it in check, just add a way to handle ice types and you have a very threatening duo on your hands.

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Giga Drain
- Spikes

Archeops
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roost

reserving lanturn
+

Lanturn and Archeops make an effective balanced core. Lanturn synchronizes pretty well with Archeops taking super effective Ice, electric, water, steel attacks and In return Lanturn gets a ground immunity. What's also to note lanturn will be able to get past most of it's counters thanks to it's typing and scald/status and even further supports it thanks to a slow volt swtich giving and cleric support.

Archeops
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Roost

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 212 Def / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

Last edited:
+

Archeops and Lumineon Make a really good balanced core. Lumineon can easily take Ice, Electric,stelthat troubles archeops and gets immunity to water type which troubles Archeops and it can provide defog support to archeops which absolutely hates stealth rock.The thing which makes lumineon a better partner for archeops than lanturn is its access to defog and the ability to switch into archeops best counters rhydon and piloswine as Lanturn cant switch into them as they can easily KO lanturn. Lumineon can also give it a slow u-turn.However this core dosen't like electric types but however if they are combined with Ground type they work really well and lumineon gets a higher chance for Special attack boost.Archeops can also help lumineon by taking some grass types whicch trouble Lumineon.

Archeops
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roost

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- U-turn
- Sweet Kiss

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok guys was really impressed with this week's submissions (rip metaphysical with Pawniard). Anyways, onto a new matchmaking victim. THis week, I decided to switch it up a tad bit by doing a mon that is really threatening yet I don't see it as often as I want it to be seen, lol. That Pokemon is...

This thing's special set has like 1 or 2 switchins and its physical set has great STAB priority in Aqua Jet. I cannot wait to see what you guys come up with and I am very excited :)

Samurott & Vileplume

While people may say Vileplume has fallen from it's crown in XY, I still believe it's a great pokemon in NU right now, Samurott and vileplume have always been a strong balanced core that cover each other's weaknesses, things like electric and grass that threaten samurott, vileplume can easily take care of them, lilligant, electivire, rotom, tangela etc. Things that threaten vileplume however, samurott can easily take them on by revenge killing them with aqua jet or just straight up killing them. They synchronize really well together you could even be on of those people and complete the FWG core if you so desire.

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall/Razor Shell
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
(yes this is an actual sprite)
Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Aromatherapy
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- Sludge Bomb

+

More of an offensive Core. Swords Dance Samurott is great but it often struggles to take down a lot of walls. This is where Exeggutor's job comes in having excellent Special Attack backed by a great dual STAB typing to make it a fearsome wallbreaker taking down if not all of Samurotts counters. They also synchronize pretty well. There are few things that switch into Exeggutor but the ones that do, Samurott can take out meaning they help out each other.

Samurott @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn

Exeggutor @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
+

This is focused more on a Special Core between Samurott and Zebstrike. Samurott has problems with pokemon like Mantine, Ferroseed, and Pelipper, all of which Zebstrika is able to handle. Meanwhile Zebstrika struggles with pokemon like Regirock and Magmortar, which Samurott is able to handle.
Samurott @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Taunt

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Overheat
I actually did it this week

nv

The Lost Age
Sadly this week wasn't as active as I hoped it would be, but maybe that can change this week idk lol. This week's matchmaking victim is...

This mon has always been really good (and I have been using it personally recently) and I feel like the threat of Sneasel running around really hinders this thing, yet I feel like it can also just run through teams with 2-3 effective sets and a host of good moves. Lemme see what you guys got!

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt / Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Poison Jab / Stone Edge

I don't really feel like writing an essay on this one, so here's some key points as to why Sawk and Scyther pair so well together:
  • mandatory hazard control gives Sawk a cool niche as a Sturdy attacker
  • destroys most things Scyther looks to U-turn out of
  • breaks down opposing walls to allow all Scyther variants a late-game sweeping opportunity

Last edited:

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Prinplup @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- U-turn
- Roost

Golem @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Explosion

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak
- Baton Pass
- Will-O-Wisp

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

This 5 mon core functions amazingly with Scyther. Prinplup + Xatu are a tight core to prevent Stealth Rock from destroying Scyther every time it switches in. Golem + Sawk are a great offensive core which provide emergency set up sweeper checks because of Sturdy and their ability to hit really hard! Shedinja is kind of a gimmick but its immunity to a lot of common types can help grab momentum with Baton Pass very quickly! Speaking of, Xatu + Scyther + Shedinja can move the momentum throughout the game to Sawk and Golem so they can break down common walls!

lol jk NV I got a real submission here

Prinplup @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Great check for offensive Rock-types that Scyther pivots out of. Prevents Stealth Rock and lays rocks down to punish things that need to switch into Scyther so its U-turns don't ravage their team.

It's hard to built a Scyther team without crazy hazard control cores like Xatu + Prin lol

Gallade (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch / Poison Jab / Stone Edge

I don't really feel like writing an essay on this one, so here's some key points as to why GALLADE and Scyther pair so well together:
  • destroys most things Scyther looks to U-turn out of
  • breaks down opposing walls to allow all Scyther variants a late-game sweeping opportunity
s/o to Kiyo for stealing my idea.

Well, basically Scyther is destroyed by SR, then Claydol comes to keep clean your field to Scyther and moreover Claydol checks Rock and Steel types that are things that Scyther it difficult to win and what they are normally hazard setters, and still has immunity electricity. Finally, Grass Knot gives coverage to Quagsire would prevent Scyther of settuping, if it is SD.

Claydol @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Shadow Ball
- Rapid Spin

Last edited:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
-_-

e: run 0 def IV lonely shedinja for ditto haha
When would that ever come in handy?
+

Lanturn and Scyther form a nice Volt/Turn core as they are able to cover each other's typing fairly decently. Bulky Eviolite Scyther got a lot better with the banning of Magneton, and switches in to grass and ground type attacks, while Lanturn comes in on the fire and ice types that Scyther has a tough time with. Lanturn also provides Heal Bell support, which in invaluable if Scyther is burnt sometime during the match which would prevent it from sweeping. This core usually works best with something to take on rock types, so most fighting types also work well here.
Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Icy Wind

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

edit: I know that ._. I was just talking about your shed not killing my ditto

Last edited:

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
When would that ever come in handy?
against a ditto that tries to copy ur shedinja, since it doesnt copy sheddy's hp stat, however it does copy sheddy's def ivs and nature. you need those for your shadow sneak to kill the ditto

UWot? (Kabutops) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Scyther hates rocks. Kabutops spins them away. therefore Scyther loves Kabu. Ship em.
Kabutops functions as a really good wallbreaker with it's two STABS, and aqua jet picks off faster threats. These open ways for Scyther to sweep. Theres an electric weakness, as well as needing to take care of M-Audino.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
+

Gen one still has some tricks up its sleeves imo, cb Scyther and double dance Rhydon make a fantastic pairing as most of the Pokemon that Scyther likes to click u-turn on are usually mons that Rhydon can set up a free rock polish or swords dance with. In return, Rhydon can reliably switch into rock, flying, and electric type attacks that would otherwise make quick work of Scyther. Overall the two work pretty well together in breaking down walls so that the other one can clean up late game.

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

nv

The Lost Age
Ok so this week is over. I am going to do this quickly but I am really glad with this week's submission (even the "joke" one from Disjunction lol). Anyways, this week is something that benefited from the Magnets ban and that is:

This piece of clockwork was able to rise back to the ranks of a really good setup sweeper that is walled by few mons once it gets set up after Magnets left. I am hoping to see some epic submissions frens, :)

Last edited:
Pretty standard pairing IMO.

+

Everyone's probably used this combination before, I'd say it's the one I've seen the most and for good reason. Special Samurott softens up teams like no other and makes Klinklangs mid/late game sweeping a breeze. Samurott takes on Quag, Seismitoad, Weezing, Rhydon, etc. If not running Wild Charge you have Pelipper/Mantine to possibly fear which Samurott doesn't handle but you could easily run HP Electric or something but I've never done that. Usually keeping pressure on their defogger (aforementioned water/flying types) early on puts them in a bad position come sweep time.

Samurott @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent / Naive
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Taunt / Aqua Jet

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Substitute / Wild Charge

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)